The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Idea for a set for dedicated DoT builds.

MindOfTheSwarm
MindOfTheSwarm
✭✭✭✭✭
Rapid Decay:

2 Items: Critical Chance
3 Items: Spell and Weapon Damage
4 Items: Critical Chance
5 Items: Reduce the duration of your single target and ground damage over time abilities by 75% and increase their tick rate to once every 0.5 seconds, but reduce the overall damage of all your abilities by 50%. This does not affect Ultimate abilities, Light Attacks or Heavy Attacks.

Here is a bit of math to understand it.

DoT natively deals about 20000 damage over 12 seconds. Resulting in 1666 damage per second.

With above set suggestion the same DoT will deal 10000 over 3 seconds. Resulting in 3333 damage per second.

Another example:

20 second DoT deals 18000 over duration = 900 per second.

Above set changes this to 5 second DoT deals 9000 over duration = 1800 per second.

With such a set dedicated DoT builds could work, but with the down side of having a very short up time thus making it niche and not part of standard rotations. It would not affect Aura DoT, such as Mystic Orb or Hurricane etc. and yes no ultimates either.

Also, it would nerf direct damage so that it would not become oppressive in PvP to prevent players from combining bursty DoT’s with burst skills.

Alternatively, if 2.5 seconds is too short, you could change it to a 60% duration reduction. This would result in a 4 second DoT for 10 seconds, 4.8 (4.5 in practice but could be rounded up to 5) for 12 seconds and 8 second DoT for 20 seconds. But in this case you need to reduce the overall damage reduction and cost to about 30% to compensate. However, longer durations leads to more stacking which can get oppressive quickly in PvP.
Edited by MindOfTheSwarm on July 25, 2022 5:53AM
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

Lol. This set next patch? Thaumaturge debuff? No, this set barely qualifies anymore. Actually let me correct myself. This set flat out does not qualify in enabling a DoT build. 15% on an effective 450 damage per second is literally nothing.
    Edited by MindOfTheSwarm on July 25, 2022 12:56PM
  • Lynxyn
    Lynxyn
    ✭✭✭
    Every pve DPS build in the game is a dot build why would they need a new set to incentive this play style? Either it would be undertuned and forgotten or overtuned and beat out the current meta sets
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol. This set next patch? Thaumaturge debuff? No, this set barely qualifies anymore. Actually let me correct myself. This set flat out does not qualify in enabling a DoT build. 15% on an effective 450 damage per second is literally nothing.

So if a DoT goes from 20k to 10k per button press, why would you use it over the 10k spammable which applies the damage in a single go? It's not like the DoT ticking is going to realistically add anything.

Damage over Time only works because it deals more damage than a spammable, but requires time to reach that level (7 seconds with the current scaling, 12 seconds with the new scaling).

• TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting some Elsweyr dot meta ptsd ngl.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmnqwk wrote: »

So if a DoT goes from 20k to 10k per button press, why would you use it over the 10k spammable which applies the damage in a single go? It's not like the DoT ticking is going to realistically add anything.

Damage over Time only works because it deals more damage than a spammable, but requires time to reach that level (7 seconds with the current scaling, 12 seconds with the new scaling).

You're not understanding the advantage of shorter CD with less total damage. I included the math so that you can see what the DPS result would be. Overall damage is not the important thing when it comes to DoT's it is the damage per tick.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting some Elsweyr dot meta ptsd ngl.

Not really. In Elsweyr the DoT damage was nerfed by 60%. My suggestion does significantly raise the damage per tick but at significant uptime reduction. No one is able to play a pure DoT build in this game due to most damage being front loaded on direct spammables and light attacks.

DoT meta was only scary because of the single target DoT's. There was no reason to debuff the ground DoT's by 60% like they did and now in update 35 they are nerfing them again.

The community wants ground DoT's to be dangerous in PvP. The more ground DoT's get nerfed the more effective ball groups will be especially when attacking a keep door or holding a point in BG. People are getting sick of ball groups just standing in damaging AoE's and brushing it off like it is nothing, so instead of buffing ground DoT's we get stupid sets like Dark Con or Plaguebreak. We have tools in our kit that are meant for zone control and yet they hit like a wet noodle.
    Edited by MindOfTheSwarm on July 29, 2022 2:01AM
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're not understanding the advantage of shorter CD with less total damage. I included the math so that you can see what the DPS result would be. Overall damage is not the important thing when it comes to DoT's it is the damage per tick.

What advantage is there for a DoT to deal 10k over 3 seconds over an ability to deal 10k in a single press?
    The burst potential just isn't there from 3 second DoTs ticking for the same as 6 DoTs that would last 10 seconds and give you more opportunities to set up the Sub Assault/Blastbones burst.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What advantage is there for a DoT to deal 10k over 3 seconds over an ability to deal 10k in a single press?
    The burst potential just isn't there from 3 second DoTs ticking for the same as 6 DoTs that would last 10 seconds and give you more opportunities to set up the Sub Assault/Blastbones burst.

You forget that you can continue to use other abilities while it is up. And the stacking advantages. This is why longer DoT’s hit like wet noodles. DoT’s that a shorter and more damaging make AoE control much more effective .
    Edited by MindOfTheSwarm on July 29, 2022 6:22AM