The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why Jewel Crafting is Broken - 300,000 gold/1 chromium plating

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    blackweb wrote: »
    It's a hyperinflation problem for in game gold (and really bad for newer players because what they generate in game is now basically worthless except to trade with NPCs). If you measure crowns versus dollars versus gold/crowns rates, or you look at the ToS violating gold/cash mats/cash site prices you'll see the value of platings is fairly flat. It's just gold was made worthless by mass automated crafting tools on PC, and by scrying.

The inflation then amplifies the problem because nobody is going to sell a plating when it's worth more every day. It's an inflation hedge. The one thing you don't want to hold in hyperinflation is gold.

There is nothing to mitigate plating inflation. No daily hireling email and it takes several times longer to gather enough grains to make any kind of plating. I have been doing writs for months, I think I got 1 chromium plating all through the deadlands and high isle. Jewelry Crafting is an unusable profession. It takes too long to gather mats and they are too expensive to buy.

Adding plating and grain rewards to daily crafting writs and the reduction to the amount of plates needed to upgrade.

Well those were the mitigating factors.

I will also add that grains do have a chance to appear I tales of tribute rewards.

And there are ways to farm all grains except chromium naturally in game just by playing it.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's a hyperinflation problem for in game gold (and really bad for newer players because what they generate in game is now basically worthless except to trade with NPCs). If you measure crowns versus dollars versus gold/crowns rates, or you look at the ToS violating gold/cash mats/cash site prices you'll see the value of platings is fairly flat. It's just gold was made worthless by mass automated crafting tools on PC, and by scrying.

The inflation then amplifies the problem because nobody is going to sell a plating when it's worth more every day. It's an inflation hedge. The one thing you don't want to hold in hyperinflation is gold.

There is nothing to mitigate plating inflation. No daily hireling email and it takes several times longer to gather enough grains to make any kind of plating. I have been doing writs for months, I think I got 1 chromium plating all through the deadlands and high isle. Jewelry Crafting is an unusable profession. It takes too long to gather mats and they are too expensive to buy.

Too many will fall back to "original intent" not acknowledging that we are well past that time! I think Summerset was 5 years ago IIRC, since I have been playing since just after that for about 5+ years.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How many characters do you do daily crafting writs on and at what level? Sounds like you are not doing the writs with platinum at max rank.

In order to make your point you need specific data to back it up. Vague statements aren’t convincing and don’t prove anything.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How many characters do you do daily crafting writs on and at what level? Sounds like you are not doing the writs with platinum at max rank.

In order to make your point you need specific data to back it up. Vague statements aren’t convincing and don’t prove anything.

Agreed! With 5/5 Jewelcrafting daily writ boxes have a 1 in 5 chance at getting 1-2 Gold Grains or a full Gold Plating. With 18 characters I get enough to make 2-3 Gold Plating each week. It's not a lot, but its per week you get enough every month to gold out all 3 slots. Most of my characters are gold out on jewelry except a few that I rotate experiment builds it wouldn't make sense to upgrade to gold if I keep swapping gear.
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JC should work like the other skills at this point (platings only - not grains, similar drop rates for materials, hirings).

As for gold sinks, I'm sure ZOS could find many that would remove more gold than the weekly gold JC vendor - for starters add some mounts, pets, costumes, etc in-game for gold instead of stuffing everything new and different in a crown crate.

As for gold jewelry being something 'special' for vet trial runners - that's long since past.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many will fall back to "original intent" not acknowledging that we are well past that time! I think Summerset was 5 years ago IIRC, since I have been playing since just after that for about 5+ years.

The original intent is still valid because ZOS wants people to do content that drops gold jewelry. By keeping the plating to 1/10 the drop rate of armor, they encourage a percent of the population to do that content rather than upgrade. Still working as intended and still relevant.

Also, daily Writs are 100% worth it. With just 5 max lvl crafting characters, you will prob get a gold plate a week if done daily. It is a reliable way for casual players to make gold as it world take maybe 15min a day to do all Writs on 5 characters. Maybe 20min.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Takes me about 30 minutes to do all daily crafting writs on 5 characters on PS NA since we don’t have add-ons.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• TylerDurden
    TylerDurden
    ✭✭✭
    I did a jewelry crafting writ the other day that cost me 450k just to get the chromium plating. It will be the last one I do. The only reason I even wasted the resources on it was for the 653 writ vouchers
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did a jewelry crafting writ the other day that cost me 450k just to get the chromium plating. It will be the last one I do. The only reason I even wasted the resources on it was for the 653 writ vouchers

But several people here would say that is intentional and thus must remain true!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Doesn’t cost you anything if you do enough daily writs and surveys to have your own platings.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• blackweb
    blackweb
    ✭✭✭✭

I have also stopped doing any Jewelry Crafting writs that require me to purchase any platings. Just too expensive.
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn’t cost you anything if you do enough daily writs and surveys to have your own platings.

Opportunity cost is a thing - that is, just because you have a plating, it doesn't make economic sense to burn it for a writ that pays out way less than just selling the plating.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But several people here would say that is intentional and thus must remain true!

I'm not saying I think it should remain that way, I'm saying that the reason the devs made it the way it is is still relative so it won't change.
    On the plus side, the dude just picked up 653 Writs in one go....
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »

I'm not saying I think it should remain that way, I'm saying that the reason the devs made it the way it is is still relative so it won't change.

At a VERY expensive price that was likely far above the value.

I was not picking on you when I noted "some people". I just see that argument far too often. ZOS has people working in it, so does make mistakes or things that don't hold up over time.

The fact that very few JC Master writs are made should clearly show this area needs to be adjusted significantly. The change they did a while back now was not nearly enough to make them worthwhile, so they become clutter rather than something even remotely useful. More like a sucker trap now! Sure, lots of writs for some, but too costly for what you get compared to other options.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dawnblade wrote: »

Opportunity cost is a thing - that is, just because you have a plating, it doesn't make economic sense to burn it for a writ that pays out way less than just selling the plating.

Sure it does, I don’t sell mats and I have then to use as I see fit. I don’t need writ vouchers as much as I used to but it came in handy a few times. There are things you can buy with them that you can’t get elsewhere easily.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »

At a VERY expensive price that was likely far above the value.

I was not picking on you when I noted "some people". I just see that argument far too often. ZOS has people working in it, so does make mistakes or things that don't hold up over time.

The fact that very few JC Master writs are made should clearly show this area needs to be adjusted significantly. The change they did a while back now was not nearly enough to make them worthwhile, so they become clutter rather than something even remotely useful. More like a sucker trap now! Sure, lots of writs for some, but too costly for what you get compared to other options.

One would think they would notice how few ever get used - I mean it is rather silly that an option in one of my add-ons is to auto delete JC master writs lol.
    Edited by Dawnblade on July 22, 2022 7:26PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    It's funny how people back when Summerset released theorized that the market would be saturated in one year and prices would drop a lot. But so far they've only been rising (and also as a result jewellery master writs are still not worth doing for the most part). It's not just that getting one plating needs ten grains, it's also thefact that deconning jewellery has a chance to drop a grain and not a plating. At the very least they should increase the number of grains dropping from deconstruction. Anyway, my tip to your OP is that while you set up your characters to do jewellery crafting writs, in the meantime also farm gold to buy your upgrade mats, it might be faster, and hopefully when you do enough writs you'll be self-sufficient. Also, for some sets that have had their necks/rings appear in the golden vendor, it might be cheaper to search for them on traders and find a good deal, than upgrading them yourself.

Jewelry Crafting writs are prohibitively expensive and gathering the mats takes so long that it is impossible for casual players to do so. The materials required to complete blue and higher master jewelry crafting writs make them impossible to complete. Jewelry crafting is not a viable crafting profession for casual players in ESO.

I'm talking about the daily crafting writs, not the master writs. The daily ones, even on one character, are very much worth doing. You get intricates that you can pass off to alts, and surveys as well. Then as you level jewelry crafting on your alts you'll keep getting intrictates to decon for inspiration, and it will snowball, so it will level faster on other alts. Eventually if you can do daily crafting writs on max level on a few alts you'll start getting enough grains to make platings, and be self sufficient.

I do Jewelry Crafting writs every day which is marginally useful. However, I NEVER make nor improve jewelry in ESO because it is too expensive to do so. Jewel crafting is not a viable profession for casual players in ESO.

As has been mentioned previously by several players including myself, farming nodes is not a good source for plating, surveys and daily writs are.

Are you doing the daily crafting writs at top tier? I get chromium grains from them.

Jewelry is more grindy than the other crafts but not a waste of time as you suggest. I even do purple and gold master writs sometimes if I need a lot of writ vouchers and I have the mats to do them. I don’t gold out trials gear or anything like that, though. I use the plates for furnishing items for my house occasionally.

This makes more sense for console players, where the price of a gold plating is only 80-90k vs 250-300k. It just doesn't make sense on PC to use them for a master writ if you can make 1-1.2m selling a stack of 4 chromium platings (vs 320-360k on XB/NA). Also, outside of the collectible storage containers, there isn't much else in Rolis' or Faustina's stock that you can't also purchase from another player.

However, OP, as many have said, if you do daily top-tier JC writs consistently and on multiple characters, you can build up a supply over time for your own use. And, really, if one wants to craft their own jewelry of any quality other than green or upgrade dropped jewelry to blue, purple, and/or gold, it behooves them to consider the ways available to them to obtain their own supply.

All of this said, the issue is not really with the JC system but rather with the hyper-inflation on PC. Which makes JC much more expensive on PC if you need to purchase mats. But, you don't really need to purchase mats if you avail yourself of the crafting writ system, which provides grains/platings from the reward containers, as well as surveys to help top-up your platinum supply (and obtain more grains from refining). JC certainly takes more effort than the other crafting professions, but it's certainly well beyond useless.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    It's funny how people back when Summerset released theorized that the market would be saturated in one year and prices would drop a lot. But so far they've only been rising (and also as a result jewellery master writs are still not worth doing for the most part). It's not just that getting one plating needs ten grains, it's also thefact that deconning jewellery has a chance to drop a grain and not a plating. At the very least they should increase the number of grains dropping from deconstruction. Anyway, my tip to your OP is that while you set up your characters to do jewellery crafting writs, in the meantime also farm gold to buy your upgrade mats, it might be faster, and hopefully when you do enough writs you'll be self-sufficient. Also, for some sets that have had their necks/rings appear in the golden vendor, it might be cheaper to search for them on traders and find a good deal, than upgrading them yourself.

Jewelry Crafting writs are prohibitively expensive and gathering the mats takes so long that it is impossible for casual players to do so. The materials required to complete blue and higher master jewelry crafting writs make them impossible to complete. Jewelry crafting is not a viable crafting profession for casual players in ESO.

I'm talking about the daily crafting writs, not the master writs. The daily ones, even on one character, are very much worth doing. You get intricates that you can pass off to alts, and surveys as well. Then as you level jewelry crafting on your alts you'll keep getting intrictates to decon for inspiration, and it will snowball, so it will level faster on other alts. Eventually if you can do daily crafting writs on max level on a few alts you'll start getting enough grains to make platings, and be self sufficient.

I do Jewelry Crafting writs every day which is marginally useful. However, I NEVER make nor improve jewelry in ESO because it is too expensive to do so. Jewel crafting is not a viable profession for casual players in ESO.

As has been mentioned previously by several players including myself, farming nodes is not a good source for plating, surveys and daily writs are.

Are you doing the daily crafting writs at top tier? I get chromium grains from them.

Jewelry is more grindy than the other crafts but not a waste of time as you suggest. I even do purple and gold master writs sometimes if I need a lot of writ vouchers and I have the mats to do them. I don’t gold out trials gear or anything like that, though. I use the plates for furnishing items for my house occasionally.

This makes more sense for console players, where the price of a gold plating is only 80-90k vs 250-300k. It just doesn't make sense on PC to use them for a master writ if you can make 1-1.2m selling a stack of 4 chromium platings (vs 320-360k on XB/NA). Also, outside of the collectible storage containers, there isn't much else in Rolis' or Faustina's stock that you can't also purchase from another player.

However, OP, as many have said, if you do daily top-tier JC writs consistently and on multiple characters, you can build up a supply over time for your own use. And, really, if one wants to craft their own jewelry of any quality other than green or upgrade dropped jewelry to blue, purple, and/or gold, it behooves them to consider the ways available to them to obtain their own supply.

All of this said, the issue is not really with the JC system but rather with the hyper-inflation on PC. Which makes JC much more expensive on PC if you need to purchase mats. But, you don't really need to purchase mats if you avail yourself of the crafting writ system, which provides grains/platings from the reward containers, as well as surveys to help top-up your platinum supply (and obtain more grains from refining). JC certainly takes more effort than the other crafting professions, but it's certainly well beyond useless.

Which is why ZOS should increase the supply and/or make master JC writs much more valuable. The revamp did not accomplish that!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • bicketybam
    bicketybam
    ✭✭
    I wish they would up the number of vouchers you get from the master jewelry writs. It's a joke. I rarely do them.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bicketybam wrote: »
    I wish they would up the number of vouchers you get from the master jewelry writs. It's a joke. I rarely do them.

They would have to be 10x or even 100x more to make them worth the cost.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Purple jewelry is perfectly capable of doing all content in the game.

^^^This
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Purple jewelry is perfectly capable of doing all content in the game.

^^^This

Purple gear is probably capable of doing all content in the game as well. <snip>

<snipped for trolling>
    Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on July 29, 2022 12:19AM
    PC
    PS4/PS5