Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Enough Enormous Houses!

Amphithoe
Amphithoe
✭✭✭✭✭
Please ZOS by the Divines! Enough with the grandiose villas and estates. Add more smaller to medium sized homes, abodes that can actually be furnished without spending every last piece of coin purchasing furniture or all the gold materials in the bank to produce enough things to fill the vast blank spaces.

Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • DarthCuddlefluff
    DarthCuddlefluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please ZOS by the Divines! Enough with the grandiose villas and estates. Add more smaller to medium sized homes, abodes that can actually be furnished without spending every last piece of coin purchasing furniture or all the gold materials in the bank to produce enough things to fill the vast blank spaces.

I agree that they should make smaller houses too, but I gotta say that the problem isn't just ZoS when it comes to the expense. Houses seem to be for whales now. I remember "back in my day" when I was buying masses of mundane runes for like 50 gp a pop and thinking THAT was expensive at the time. It was a coordinated effort on the part of people abusing TTC that made them as expensive as they are as a response to the new opportunities presented when ZoS started releasing more and more large homes. People literally just decided to start charging more and more for the things. I will say however that I have brought up more than a few solutions on these forums and so have a ton of other people to solve that problem and ZoS looked at them. ZoS responded by editing a message calling them out (not by me) for conspiracy of which there was no such thing presented in the message. I should know I read it before it was edited. So ZoS knows about the problem and just isn't doing anything about it.

As someone who does (or at this point used to do) housing for a fee it's been hard on me and other serious decorators too. It used to be how I made my gold. How it costs tens of millions in materials alone to do a notable home. That leaves negative space for pay. Most people can't even finish decorating their notables because of the prices. I should know I have like 7 unfinished projects which it would take me like a hundred million plus like $400 in crowns to finish all of. And that's with current market prices, things are only getting more expensive.

And no if anyone is going to respond with "inflation" please save your words. Going from 20-50 to 1500-2000 was not just some inflation.
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you actually have the resources to max out the furnishing slots these houses are too big to furnish properly anyway. They always look sparse.

Please more smaller-sized homes. All the current small and medium homes have very low-res textures, too.
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    To each there own, and more options the better BUT i for one prefer the huge houses.

I'm all for more, how much effort can a house take to design as most of them are in-game buildings at there base. Keep the number of huge ones but also add more medium and smalls to keep everyone happy (and spending).

I'm sure some small homes with medium item limits, and medium with manor limits would be very popular.
  • carly
    carly
    ✭✭✭✭
    To each there own, and more options the better BUT i for one prefer the huge houses.

I'm all for more, how much effort can a house take to design as most of them are in-game buildings at there base. Keep the number of huge ones but also add more medium and smalls to keep everyone happy (and spending).

I'm sure some small homes with medium item limits, and medium with manor limits would be very popular.

I think they would be extremely popular. Not to mention that not everyone can afford to throw 100 bucks at a large home every time a new release comes out. I know the older homes are there and you can buy them with crowns but I'd like to see the new zones with the updated graphics offer something for everyone - as you say the more options, the better :)
    Edited by carly on July 12, 2022 7:24PM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer a large piece of land without any house. :)
  • princesspurpleblob
    princesspurpleblob
    ✭✭✭
    I also would like more small and medium houses, especially for expansion area style homes! There are no small sized houses in expansion area styles, and for there are only Ald Velothi Harbor House and Lucky Cat Landing (crown only and so moldy!) for medium sized houses. I'm just dying for small/medium Alinor & Elsweyr (non moldy version) style home

Would be awesome if the older small home models can be re-textured too - I decorated Cyrodilic Jungle House with Leyawiin furnishing and it bothers me to no end that there's sharp contrast between the house itself and furnishing.

Also agree housing is ridiculously expensive but also, I just prefer small/medium homes because I like the cozy feel. Even some medium houses are quite large. I don't like the feel of being lost in gigantic houses.
    Edited by princesspurpleblob on July 12, 2022 10:48PM
    Hall of Colossus - Alinor in Elsweyr | Alinor Crest Townhouse - Alinor Noble Estate | Colossal Aldmeri Grotto - Alinor Scenic Estate | Sleek Creek House - Khajiiti Paradise | Bouldertree Refuge - Flora Estate | Autumn's Gate - Sweet Autumn Lodge | Domus Phrasticus - Breton Country House | Exorcised Coven Cottage - Forest Cottage | Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery - The Starry Sky Inn | Mathiisen Manor - Mathiisen Wedding Hall | Humblemud - Torchic Barn Party House | Other inn rooms / apartments / homes
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see some 700 slot homes that are just.... smaller haha I can understand the logic of them not being able to raise the furnishing cap limits, yet they can't seem to understand that the playerbase already struggles to fill the massive homes and maybe they should just design them a bit smaller? Just because a home is in the "notable home" category doesn't mean it has to have an entire beach and massive ayleid ruins. Probably one reason why I do like Highhallow Hold is because it feels a bit more quaint compared to a lot of their more recent 700 slot homes.... but honestly at this point, I just take advantage of the structure furnishings and build my own homes in places like the Coldharbour Surreal Estate.
  • GoldenGirl
    GoldenGirl
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with OP, 100%. More medium/small house options are needed.

I'm still waiting for a Mages Tower... something similar to Tel Galen would work, just smaller and without all the "organic" (rotting flesh atronach) blobs and cancerous-looking fibrous interior structures.

(Someone in another post summed it up perfectly as "Telvanni intestinal chic architecture" and said that "There is nothing about the pink and red gelatinous mess that says mushroom, wizard or elder scrolls to me.") :D
    Edited by GoldenGirl on July 18, 2022 2:43PM
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see some balance. Sure - keep making the huge mansions for those that want them, but drop a small/medium home once in a while. The love for Erinbu's cottage shows there is a market for that.
  • WraithCaller88
    WraithCaller88
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree. I have Tel Galen & the Alinor Crest Townhouse both fully-furnished, and I feel like they're about the max size of what I'd want in any home with the item limits we have now.

• TylerDurden
    TylerDurden
    ✭✭✭
    We need that cottage!!!!!
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am for empty pieces of land, and more structural furnishings of all styles, so we can build freely.

I really appreciate the upcoming furnishings, in the High Isle style, including the transparent windows. I hope to see more of these! I also hope for a crafting festival that brings furnishings from older styles, and stuff that has constantly been requested, like weapon racks or mannequins.

In my opinion, some of the recent houses are exaggerated. Pantherfang is really nice, but you can have a public dungeon inside, it's that large. People came with all sorts of suggestions, like 600 slots houses, country side house from Summerset, High Isle, or Blackwood, as popular examples. I still wish to have a wayshrine furnishing.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a post like this popping up on a weekly basis for years and we still don't have medium houses (available for gold as well) in the game. The big houses are absolutely impressive from a design point of view (and also to try and justify those prices) but with the slot limit being what it is, we can hardly do them justice. Plus, regardless of slots, not everyone wants a build suitable for big houses, for eg., you can't make a tavern, a cozy cottage, etc., with so much space, and it's been too long since we had a smaller housing release for such builds (the last medium one was Lucky Cat Landing?). I think the housing team is the only team who has consistently been improving over the years and listened to the players, given all the new types of furniture we've been getting, so I don't understand why they won't give us more medium houses, since they are clearly listening and accommodating our feedback, and it's the most requested thing (alongside water furnishings). Is the reason financial (ie., medium houses bring less revenue, because they can't be priced like notables), or is there another reason why we can't have them? Also, I'd appreciate at least 1-2 house releases per year available for gold, like we had in the past. The last time was Water's Edge with Blackwood.
  • Sweetpea704
    Sweetpea704
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time, I block off the entrances to the big houses and just decorate the outside. With only 700 slots, you can't really do a large detailed design of both the inside and outside. I also don't like going in too many doors or really more than one. In Tel Galen, I only used the middle of the house and blocked off every door. I really want more "wide open spaces" homes. I loved the one in Western Skyrim, but it is a pain to have to through the dwarven area to get to the frozen lake. But, yes, there should be a mid level house in each new zone and please put a smallish house in Craglorn. There are no houses close by for a free port.
  • PDarkBHood
    PDarkBHood
    ✭✭✭
    Keep the big Notable houses coming and I will buy them!!! Love them!! But also bring out more small and medium houses to as there seems to be a demand.
    Edited by PDarkBHood on July 28, 2022 1:42PM
  • PDarkBHood
    PDarkBHood
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, about that cottage, I would feel really bad kicking an elderly wood elf from his abode, maybe rent it from him??
  • RagnarSw
    RagnarSw
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please. I would love to see more medium and large houses. It is a shame they didn't even include a house you could buy with gold this chapter. Every other chapter in the past even dating back to the base game had houses you could buy once you completed the quest achievment for the zone.
  • swankery
    swankery
    ✭✭✭✭
    I, and I KNOW my housing friends in my housing guilds, would LOVE some more 200-400 slot homes. <3
    https://www.twitch.tv/swankery/ Housing Enthusiast! DDA founder/rep/Twitter@Swankery1@Swankery PC/NA https://www.youtube.com/c/swankery
  • Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭
    I like big houses, but it would be nice if there were more small and medium ones too.

I'm sure they could reduce the price of the mats needed to make furnishings if the drop rate improved even a little for those rarer mats, like heartwood, mundane runes, or (OMG) the metal powders you need ten of to make one plating. Or maybe they could reduce the amount of mats needed for certain items to be more in line with their size and complexity. Is there a reason a cute little wooden board game takes as much heartwood as a gigantic armoire or table?

My first ever house was Hunding's Palatial hall, which was as large as some of the notable homes. Sadly, it's full now, even though I have room for more furnishings, especially outdoors. That's the downside of classic houses of that size.

There's a gorgeous Redguard palace in Hew's Bane that has not been for sale since I've been playing, though. Wish they'd make that one available again!
  • Billy2112
    Billy2112
    ✭✭✭
    I love the notables. I too would like to see some small or medium homes in the game accessible for gold within these newer areas or at a more reasonable and accessible crown cost.
  • FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I adore small houses, Captain Margaux's place, Moonmirth, the Snugpod and Sleek Creek are the ones I currently own. I was so hoping for a cutsey cottage with sunflowers in the frontyard or something. All my characters IC come from simple backgrounds so I feel no need to ever buy a mansion. I'm quite saddened that so far there is no new gold purchasable house this expansion, it would sell like hot cakes and be an amazing gold sink for the game.

I rather have a small medium house with an increased slot option than another oversized house that I will never buy. but alas..
    Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not content with decorating the super large houses that are released. The house gets bigger and bigger, but the slots stay the same. You do one area until it looks good and are out of slots. The rest looks empty. Not nice. So I do not buy super large houses.
    PC/EU
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FayJolyn wrote: »
    I rather have a small medium house with an increased slot option than another oversized house that I will never buy.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On ONE hand, we do need smaller homes, and some cities like Orsinium and Kvatch could've legit used one.

On the OTHER hand, I was able to fully-furnish Highhallow Hold with only 621 furnishings. Some manors are genuinely too big. Others, like Highhallow or Sweetwater, are actually not complicated to make look nice within the 700 furnishing limit.

So while I do think we don't really need more manor homes for the time being, there are some I'm actually happy with.
  • daniel.13b16_ESO
    daniel.13b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    GoldenGirl wrote: »
    Agree with OP, 100%. More medium/small house options are needed.

I'm still waiting for a Mages Tower... something similar to Tel Galen would work, just smaller and without all the "organic" (rotting flesh atronach) blobs and cancerous-looking fibrous interior structures.

(Someone in another post summed it up perfectly as "Telvanni intestinal chic architecture" and said that "There is nothing about the pink and red gelatinous mess that says mushroom, wizard or elder scrolls to me.") :D

There is one in High Isle which would be perfect as a 700 slot house, Tor Draioch. A bit of land, some running water ... the pefgect mage hideaway :)
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tor Draioch and wizard Erlibru's home are the perfect example for a medium sized dream home with 700 slots.
    Especially Erlibru's as it already feels like a secluded playerhome due to the rocks surrounding it. If we had this exact place as a player home, I know many players would jump at it in a split second. Same goes for Tor Draioch of course though it would need some kind of barrier around it to block the view and keep up the immersion.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's reason why such a old asset "old mistveil manor" is still very popular house.
    I've seen many of neighbours resident out from my home gate. (~_~) Well...little bit strange feeling though.

"House" is the very personal place rather than any of place in the world. It's not kind of "guild hall".
    We don't need meaningless vacant huge place, but want very specific something.
    (Tree house? river side cottage with water wheel? great view from very high mountain?)

Dear developers. How about watch the "Fallout4 settlement building tour of youtubers".
    You'll find something hint from there.

My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't buy this enormous houses for many reasons:
    * I don't think that any house is worth more than 6-8k crowns - I won't pay AAA game price just for single house (even the best one)
    * I don't like huge, maze-like houses with many loading screens and complicated layout. I accept only one loading screen - between interior and exterior.
    * Furniture limits make pointless idea of having so much space to decorate

I prefer rather medium houses with maximum slots or even better - big, empty spaces like Moon-Sugar Meadow which is my favourite so far and only one that I bought for crowns. I love it, because it gives so much space for creativity, price is not that much high and I don't need to decorate every inch of it, because well - it's jungle so couple trees and bushes in some areas are good enough.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love huge houses!

I'd be more supportive of a more even spread of house sizes, to be fair for everyone.

There's a new style of architecture every year, and honestly, a lot you could do with each style. Maybe one of each size category, for each style, and spread across the world. Everyone wins.

In the meantime, I think the "modular" thing they've been doing lately is something they should capitalise on more- where the house is sectioned into different modules that are easily blocked off and allow you to focus on only one or the other. Pantherfang, for instance could just be the chapel, or just the keep. I'm sure you could do the same with stuff like Varlisvaea. Houses with dungeonesque basements could be really cool done like this, too.
  • HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some guildies tastefully block off parts of medium to large houses while they work on it.

I don't disagree with your premise, and wonder if we'd all enjoy housing more if we were FORCED to decorate a small, medium house first.....but this is just an idea that might make it seem mildly less frustrating.