Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Secret Nerf - You can't add a simple search feature on a guild store but you nerf searching?

• Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    You are right, they probably did it in one hour.
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on May 5, 2014 9:21AM
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    Morthur wrote: »
    Turial wrote: »
    One would think that in designing any kind of 'store' this would be the very first thing put in place. Therefore, there must be some kind of executive decision as to why our gameplay is being gimped. Could you folks at least tell us why?

I can explain:

Manager: "How many man hours do you think you'll need to design a decent guild store UI?"
    Developer: "About 15 hours"
    Manager: "But we're releasing the game in 3 weeks!"
    Developer: "... well I guess I could do it in 12 hours...?"
    Manager: "You have 2 hours! Just do whatever you can - it's only a computer game geared at gullible12 year old console morons after all - who are they going to complain to...? Their nannies?"
    Developer: "...but!"
    Manager: "And now stop causing problems with your negativity... I have to go to the bank on the way to my 3 o'clock golf appointment!"

Would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Would be funny if it wasn't wrong on all aspects.

Then what is your explanation for the simply terrible guild store UI? Incompetence on the part of the developer? I mean it has to be one of those two: either it was rushed and that's why it's so bad or the person designing it actually thought this was a good UI in which case said designer is simply incompetent (including many others such as the QA guys for not waving the red flag instantly, the HR department for employing such terrible UI designers in the first place and the beta testers for not kicking up a stink over such a terrible feature etc. etc.). If it's only terrible because it was massively rushed then that would be the less terrible of the two possible verdicts...

Or are you seriously trying to tell us that the guild store UI is in fact not utterly terrible and a search function and decent filtering is not an integral part of a decently designed market UI in the year 2014?

I was merely responding to your little manager/developer rant that shows you have no clue as to how things work in the gaming world and you can throw your loaded questions elsewhere, I won't be responding to that rant either.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on May 5, 2014 9:22AM
  • JJDrakken
    JJDrakken
    ✭✭✭
    I swear their dev team are a bunch of interns
    Leader of Oblivion Crisis. Bunch of Daedric Worshiping MF's. We'll Bang Ok.
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on May 5, 2014 9:23AM
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    trinta wrote: »
    ...are you serious? They seriously broke GSS?
    It was barely working to begin with.

• Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    JJDrakken wrote: »
    I swear their dev team are a bunch of interns

I can't imagine that. That's why I (admittedly over-dramatically ;-)) stated my believe that it's not actually a problem with the people designing the UI but actually more likely an issue of project management where priorities got mixed up or quite simply time ran out towards the end.

It's probably not too far off. Maybe not interns, but I would bet the majority of developers are entry-level. Having a few senior devs, and then mostly entry level seems to be par for the industry course.

The developers though, don't design the UI really.. they just program it how the designers say >> So it likely would come down to either bad time management, or bad foresight when it came to designing the UI/filtering options.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    zhevon wrote: »

It was considerably better than trying to find anything without it.
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on May 5, 2014 9:23AM
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    The author of the original (not the Extended) add-on has released an update that uses a three-second delay. Someone has posted a solution in the comments of the Extended add-on.

It's crippled like this, but it's functional.
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • chaosngn_ESO
    chaosngn_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    An auction house like GW2 would ruin the economy. I have to say that while I hate guild stores, it has kept things at a decent level for selling. With an auction house encompassing all of NA everything would be worth 1g. Here is my suggestion:

Make auction house realms just like we have in PvP. A certain amount of people can join a particular auction house realm. This way they can have separate servers for the sales realms. You can only change your realm say once a week or once a month. This way we have the ability to sell to or buy from more people, but it doesn't tank the economy.
    Edited by chaosngn_ESO on May 1, 2014 4:54PM
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can't find something on the store, it probably isn't on the store.

• trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    KariTR wrote: »

If you can't find something on the store, it probably isn't on the store.

Um. Are we even talking about the same thing? Guild Store Search, an add-on that lets you do text-based searching of the guild store?
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even normal use of the guild stores is nerfed. You now have to wait a few seconds if you want to sort by time listed for example.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Tabia wrote: »
    ShinChuck wrote: »
    If you want to hit "Next" to go to the second page immediately, or even third or forth, as is entirely reasonable for a variety of reasons, you are told "too many searches in rapid succession".

This is happening without having the addon. I don't have an addon installed and I was getting that same message when trying to click next.

Correct, yes. I wrote that under the first part, not the second part about the addon. :) The poster I was replying too was not understanding that a) it broke an addon many use and b) it broke normal functionality, even without the addon.
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The economy has been a big issue for ESO since the beta. It has to change or ESO will sink.

I actually had no idea that there was an economy in this game...what we have currently is honestly an embarrassment and a PoS, as it stands now.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An auction house like GW2 would ruin the economy. I have to say that while I hate guild stores, it has kept things at a decent level for selling. With an auction house encompassing all of NA everything would be worth 1g. Here is my suggestion:

Make auction house realms just like we have in PvP. A certain amount of people can join a particular auction house realm. This way they can have separate servers for the sales realms. You can only change your realm say once a week or once a month. This way we have the ability to sell to or buy from more people, but it doesn't tank the economy.

LOTRO has server AH and everything certainly does not go down to 1g. Prices fluctuate with supply and demand.

I hear again and again how an AH will break the economy, but with no explanation as to why. This throw away comment is joining the ranks of meaningless old chestnuts like "immersion" which people are using to explain away any feature that they don't like.

Guild stores are fiddly, tiresome, time consuming and have absolutely nothing to do with lore. They are just mini AH and far from the romanticised view of cosy medieval trading.

Just bring on an AH with proper features and we can all be done with this tiresome system and its forum posts and get on with trading and playing the game
    Edited by martinhpb16_ESO on May 2, 2014 4:06PM
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normally I would disagree with you Kaneda, but we have botters flooding the market with rare items, we have botters just being a pain in the ass, we have motifs flooding the market due to the farming bug, and we have broken guild stores. While it's not economy, couple this with broken guild management (no ranks, no officer chat, no guild bank control, etc) this is not good.

I'm not doom and gloom, this is the game I've been waiting for, but there needs to be people in it for me to play, and the economy should (and I hope is) an A#1 priority.

I can't for the life of me fathom how a guild store was designed without the first and foremost feature having been added wasn't a search feature. They want to gimp us with only being able to sell to or buy from 2500 people max (and to be honest most of the people in these trade guilds are the same people in all of them), yet we can't have a search feature.

There are rumors that they are fixing the motif farming bug with the patch that is lowering the drop rate on them, but if they are going to force us to use guild stores (which I understand help curb gold selling to a degree) then we need one that works, and works well.

The gold sellers have already adjusted. They no longer see selling gold as their primary source of income, but they now sell rare mats and motifs on their websites and use the gold they farm to buy them. I've already been approached by one gold seller to buy all of my mats (it was clear several times over that this is what he was) and there is a guildie (which I do not approve of) who now knows their network and farms these items for them in exchange for gold. I am sure he's not the only one.

I've worked in a gaming studio, I understand that all of these searches going on were probably bogging down the guild servers, but please, at least give us an in-house solution to search on the guild stores.

I seriously hope you reported your guildie instead of just "not approv[ing]" of them. Otherwise you're just as vile as the RMT.