Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Advice/suggestions for someone new to playing in groups?

Ainaril7
Ainaril7
Soul Shriven
Hey there!

So, I've been playing for a while, but I'll admit I'm kinda shy so I've mostly focused on story content and stuff I can solo while actively avoiding groups/interactions with other players. Now I'm trying to get into some more group play, but I don't want to hold the group back or make a fool of myself because I don't know how things are done. Any advice for a noob on group etiquette and mechanics? For example, how in the holy h*ck do y'all chat and fight at the same time?!! My best guess is either everyone uses Discord, which I'm also not very familiar with, or there's an add-on that gives you a second set of hands and an extra keyboard with which one can type in the chat while your main hands control your character. Also, if someone could explain the combat roles and what's expected of each within a group, I would be most grateful!

Thank you all in advance! Oh, and I play on a PC if that makes a difference.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The combat roles are probably the easiest to explain. Let's start there.

It's the tank's job to taunt bosses and absorb their big hits. A tank typically needs to use 1 hand + shield and be invested into block cost reduction. Blocking is the single most effective thing in game to stand your ground and absorb damage. Tanks use taunt skills, such as Pierce Armor or Inner Rage to aggro bosses, e.g. to make those bosses focus the tank. In the boss phase, it's desirable the tank stands it's ground and doesn't move much, so the damage dealers (DDs) can lay down area of effect (AOE) skills on the ground and the boss does not move out of them. The tank should also debuff the boss' resistances, which typically happens by using Pierce Armor. In a coordinated group they typically also provide group buffs, notably Minor Courage, by wearing an armor set such as Yolnahkriin. In trash fights, a good tank will use a pull skill to rope archers towards where the tank is standing at the centre of the fights, so the mobs can be killed more efficiently. DK is the original tank class, but others are viable. For example I run a very strong sorc tank.

The healer's job is to keep everyone alive. The most suited classes that spring to mind are templars and wardens. Healers typically use resto staves and a combination of area of effect (ground effect) skills, general healing over time skills (Radiating Regeneration, Echoing Vigor) and direct heals. They may contribute some damage, if they have nothing else to do. In coordinated groups, they also frequently provide the most group support, for example by running the Spell Power Cure set to provide Major Courage, and by providing sustain / healing synergies from templar spear shards and/or the Undaunted Necrotic Orb skill.

Damage dealers (DDs) do the damage. Every class can be a DD. There are typically 2 damage dealers, 1 healer and 1 tank in a 4-man group. I suppose the main thing to not embarass yourself as a DD is to do good damage. That means you should know how to weave light attacks inbetween your skills. You should very likely run an Infused back bar weapon with a weapon damage enchant and lay down a weapon damage AOE skill with your back bar weapon. The backbar skills in question are Endless Hail, Unstable Wall or Stampede. The more you get into damage dealing, the larger skill rotations you'll run to eek out maximum damage, although there are ways to produce a lot of damage with simple builds too.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, some people use Discord. If you're shy, but happy to go on voice chat, that's probably the best thing you can do. Yes, I agree, typing in the chat bubble is a pain. Basically, join a guild that uses Discord, download the software, use the Discord link from the guild, and you're in. A headset with a microphone helps to avoid extraneous noise and feedback issues.

In reality, even though I've outlined the above group roles, you'll start with normal mode non-DLC dungeons. Those are so easy that group composition hardly matters. You could go in with 4 DDs and, as long as you have some self-healing, you'll survive and you'll thrive. Simplest case: You're a magplar spamming Puncturing Sweeps. The game's group finder tool will insist on a tank, healer and 2 DDs, but that is not necessary for non-DLC normal dungeons. For the purposes of etiquette you should taunt bosses, if you're the tank, but that's about it.

As to mechanics, there is IMO no better way to learn than to dive into harder content. I'm a great believer in experiencing content for the adventure and to learn by doing. Online guides only get you so far. They may look comprehensive but not in fact cover all mechanics. At any rate, keeping all that in your head and relating it to what's on screen is, IMO, too much like work and only necessary at the higher levels of endgame. You're not there yet.

In terms of base game mechanics, you could try and start with the solo arenas, I suppose. Completing those on vet will teach you a lot, e.g. you will learn about interrupts, blocking, dodge rolling, breaking free and likely learn to weave for enough damage. You'll become thoroughly comfortable with those mechanics. PvP would do the same. For specific dungeon mechanics being on Discord is probably the handiest.

Lastly you'll run into a mix of reasonable and unreasonable people. If you're not happy in a group or a guild, leave. Your most likely problem, though, will be that people rush through their daily normal dungeon, while you're there and you probably want to talk to the quest giver and enjoy the quest. I tend to find the most enjoyable experience with players of my own level. Normal non-DLC dungeons are easy enough that you can go in with a group of equally inexperienced friends. If you can find people who are also doing them for the first time, you'll probably have the most fun and it will be the most rewarding.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ainaril7 wrote: »
    Hey there!

So, I've been playing for a while, but I'll admit I'm kinda shy so I've mostly focused on story content and stuff I can solo while actively avoiding groups/interactions with other players. Now I'm trying to get into some more group play, but I don't want to hold the group back or make a fool of myself because I don't know how things are done. Any advice for a noob on group etiquette and mechanics? For example, how in the holy h*ck do y'all chat and fight at the same time?!! My best guess is either everyone uses Discord, which I'm also not very familiar with, or there's an add-on that gives you a second set of hands and an extra keyboard with which one can type in the chat while your main hands control your character. Also, if someone could explain the combat roles and what's expected of each within a group, I would be most grateful!

Thank you all in advance! Oh, and I play on a PC if that makes a difference.

I would do yourself a favor and check out some of the ESO content creators on Youtube for an idea of how to build your class and what sets are currently popular to use.

Another great resource is Dottz Gaming's Beginner's Guide which he releases every year. It's a long video, but most people will simply use the timestamps for aspects of the game where they are looking for additional info. If there is a more comprehensive guide to the game, I have not found one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgcWP_O5L8Q

If you're a new person looking to get into group content, there are many guilds that advertise their willingness to help new players. It may be a little intimidating at first, but the skill cap for just about every 'Normal' version of dungeon or trial is very low and most of them are pretty forgiving in terms of being able to recover from a mistake. Thus, the expectations from your peers in Normal content are also relatively low.

"For example, how in the holy h*ck do y'all chat and fight at the same time?!!"

Many organized trial groups use discord, but most people you see using the in-game chat function are actively having to stop playing to type. You're not going to run into many dungeon groups using discord unless it's a guild group.

Compared to many other MMO's, ESO's community is actually really welcoming and willing to help, for the most part. Obviously, you're going to run into the occasional jerk, but this is not a toxic community. I hope you choose to jump in. Group content in ESO is the best part of the game, in my opinion.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are in a group and not sure about something, it is always worth asking in the group chat. Majority of people are friendly and somebody will explain something to you.

I guess with most high level groups, they are in a voice chat -but it is not needed if you are playing group content more 'casually'. you could even join a voice call on discord, but mute your microphone, being able to hear your team and follow instructions would be very valuable, you do not necessarily need to talk yourself.
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i play a lot of tanky toons some of which can practically afk in a mob, which helps being able to type and fight lol

usually try to type between mobs like before combat if someone has a question

i usually only use discord with friends i play with a lot, or trial groups
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can’t chat and fight at the same time, either, but I sometimes use one-word or brief expressions. If you join a group from the dungeon finder, I think it’s polite to type “hiya” or something similar when starting and to offer a “Tyfg” (thank you for group) at the end. But many people don’t bother. If you need to do the quest, type “doing quest” or something similar in chat, and they might slow down for you, but unfortunately many speed runners don’t. I’ll skip rapidly thru the quest dialogues, if possible, and save the full questing experience for a solo or guild run.

If I see a chest, I’ll usually type “chest,” and some folks will stop for it, but others won’t care. But stopping to grab a lot of crates or other containers will almost always end with you trailing the group!

If you’re with a guild group or with friends, Discord is very helpful; even if you’re not a talker, you can listen. I think console has voice chat, but I’m on PC so I don’t know if it’s used much.

Occasionally you’ll get a jerk in the group who uses chat or whispers aggressively or nastily. I ignore those people, or, if it’s really bad, join a vote kick or, if that fails, simply leave group. There’s no need to stay if someone is hassling you. Sometimes other players will ask for your loot for their sticker book. You’re under absolutely no obligation to give it, but if I already have the item and they ask politely, I usually do.

Have fun!
  • Ainaril7
    Ainaril7
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all your responses. :) The message I'm getting is that I just need to suck up my social anxiety and jump in. In a good way, of course! I think I'd blown it all out of proportion in my head and made it into a bigger deal than it really is. From what you all have said, nobody is going to care if I blunder through the social interactions a bit until I find my stride. To that end, I've joined a casual guild! And I'm working up the courage to sign up for one of their weekly trial group runs, so wish me luck! Thanks again for the advice and encouragement!
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about the social aspect of it for dungeons. Most PUG dungeon groups might manage an "hs" (heavy sack), "chest", or a meaningless "tyfg" followed by a group exit 3 seconds later at the end. They aren't social. It's four people trying to complete their goal as fast as humanly possible and get out. Most of them have done the dungeon 200 times before and don't have anything to say. If you are on EU they may well not even have a common language.

For normal dungeons with a few exceptions (Direfrost keep with it's gratutious anti-solo-play door: play as you like is a bit of lie, Wayrest Sewers II due to some mechanics and one or two others) you can solo them all with practice if you build a slightly tanky character with some self heals slotted.

Trials are a bit different, especially to begin with but usually a guild trial run it's sufficient to simply listen to the raid leader on discord, and they should be giving clear instructions on what to do, where to stand and the like. Your first trial will be really confusing and probably quite stressful, but it's 12 people and no matter how hard you try it's basically impossible for a single newbie damage dealer to mess up a non veteran trial for a group.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ainaril7 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your responses. :) The message I'm getting is that I just need to suck up my social anxiety and jump in. In a good way, of course! I think I'd blown it all out of proportion in my head and made it into a bigger deal than it really is. From what you all have said, nobody is going to care if I blunder through the social interactions a bit until I find my stride. To that end, I've joined a casual guild! And I'm working up the courage to sign up for one of their weekly trial group runs, so wish me luck! Thanks again for the advice and encouragement!

I'm also socially anxious but I found that every time I joined the group and chatted it was a) helpful, b) fun, c) not the end of the world (like it felt :D), so I definitely recommend trying it if you're comfortable. Especially with some mechanics that need coordination, or if they happen fast, or if you're supposed to do something but you can't, there's not time to type it, so voice comms help a great deal. Also, for harder content it's a good idea to ask if there is a need to know mechanic before-hand, or if there is something your role should particularly be doing, a skill you should slot, an addon you should have (since you're on PC), and so on. This is the best way to learn I find, because written guides are great and all, but doing content live with a group that can hopefully tell you what works and what doesn't, it's the best teacher. For this reason, I also highly recommend joining a training guild to new players interested in group content, because players in those runs are usually more patient and willing to explain, since the run is centered on training.