The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dodge Dodge Dodge

DrSlaughtr
DrSlaughtr
✭✭✭✭✭
It's time we talk about the constant auto-dodging that occurs nightly. We've all seen it. Some of us have unknowingly benefited from it. One player fires their ranged attacks against another. Maybe the target is walking or running, or maybe just standing still, but somehow most if not all the attacks miss without a single roll dodge due to server side issues. I don't know if this can be fixed as it has long plagued Cyrodiil. But if it can't be fixed, maybe we can at least make it less sucky.

If I line up to attack a target with a bow skill and 5 attacks miss a non-dodging or line of sighting target, I'm charged the stamina cost of each one despite the fact I did nothing incorrect. If this happens enough time, I run out of stamina just as my attacks start landing.

I think that attacks which are actually roll dodged should cost resources because part of the defense is trying to get the opponent to burst through their mag/stam. But in this situation, no one is roll dodging but the attacker is still charged due to server hijinks. Is it possible to only charge mag/stam for attacks that are roll dodged only?

[Edited to remove Spamming]
Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 4, 2021 1:26PM
I drink and I stream things.
Twitch: DrSlaughtr
YouTube: DrSlaughtr
Facebook: DrSlaughtr
Twitter: DrSlaughtr
TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair I currently get hit through dodge roll and walls with single target abilities all the time.
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree.

There are attacks that drop because of movement speed and other targeting issues, especially when targeting sorcs and NBs. Should they also be charged additional resources because the game is buggy?

Also, what you see or perceive another person doing on your end may not be what happens on their end or server side. The game is not 1:1 or functioning anywhere near real-time, which is why reactive-based gameplay in this game is extremely buggy and terrible to balance around.
  • Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure roll lasts 1 second so anything "landing" within that time frame will be dodged, but I feel like with some channeled abilities it lasts longer. I've had all my Bound Armaments miss from 1 dodge roll. As each armament fires every .3 sec, 4 should land within 1.2 secs, but then they shouldn't all miss. I've also felt like I've dodged more bow ult projectiles than I should've but don't use the skill myself so it's possible I'm mistaken. But I just chalk it up to server issues like pretty much everything else I can't explain.
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use AoE.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm specifically talking about people not roll dodging.
    Disagree.

There are attacks that drop because of movement speed and other targeting issues, especially when targeting sorcs and NBs. Should they also be charged additional resources because the game is buggy?

Also, what you see or perceive another person doing on your end may not be what happens on their end or server side. The game is not 1:1 or functioning anywhere near real-time, which is why reactive-based gameplay in this game is extremely buggy and terrible to balance around.

Not really sure what the point is here. I never said the target should be charged resources. It's nothing that player is doing but they're getting free dodges without actually rolling. This happens quite often during lag spikes. I don't think my 5 silver shards should eat up all that Stam because the server doesn't properly communicate positioning.
  • Sedare38
    Sedare38
    ✭✭✭
    Dodge is busted AND people have figured out how to abuse it. I have an example. My friend and I were at a resource defending against 2 people. I killed one, then got killed. The 2nd enemy, an NB, went to resurrect his teammate, and my teammate point blank fired at him or did an incap (can't remember exactly his attack). The enemy dodged while standing there resurrecting. He didn't dodge roll first then start res. He simply walked up to commence rezzing and DURING the resurrection just dodged automatically several attacks.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sedare38 wrote: »
    Dodge is busted AND people have figured out how to abuse it. I have an example. My friend and I were at a resource defending against 2 people. I killed one, then got killed. The 2nd enemy, an NB, went to resurrect his teammate, and my teammate point blank fired at him or did an incap (can't remember exactly his attack). The enemy dodged while standing there resurrecting. He didn't dodge roll first then start res. He simply walked up to commence rezzing and DURING the resurrection just dodged automatically several attacks.

https://www.elderscrollsbote.de/set=213

there are ppl using it and i hate it i have this set myself even with gold rings and everything but its not OP or anything
    Edited by Noctus on May 1, 2021 9:07AM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »
    Sedare38 wrote: »

https://www.elderscrollsbote.de/set=213

there are ppl using it and i hate it i have this set myself even with gold rings and everything but its not OP or anything

Yeah. My issue is in Cyro though where this doesn't work anyway. I never really notice this issue in BGs and IC.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The game engine can't keep up with where everything is. That simple. What you see and what is really there may or may not match. That is primary cause of random "dodge" messages, and random hits that seem to come out of nowhere.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    The game engine can't keep up with where everything is. That simple. What you see and what is really there may or may not match. That is primary cause of random "dodge" messages, and random hits that seem to come out of nowhere.

Yup. I know. Hence my statement that it shouldn't drain my resources due to server issues and not player skill.
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, i also see the "dodge" from targets that are not moving at all or anything in cyro. People standing still, sieging, are able to dodge ranged attacks. May be lag issue, but it is very annoying. I can also sometimes hear someone sniping me when i'm siegeing but no damage is done to me nor any effects are applied on me. I bet the sniper sees "dodge".
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to distract from the topic but my new favorite thing is I'll be standing still with full health and drop dead instantly. Then I see a warden or dk walk off. Check my recap, I was getting lit up without seeing a single attack. I know desync happens but this is a new one for me.
  • Exeter411
    Exeter411
    ✭✭✭
    Not to distract from the topic but my new favorite thing is I'll be standing still with full health and drop dead instantly. Then I see a warden or dk walk off. Check my recap, I was getting lit up without seeing a single attack. I know desync happens but this is a new one for me.

I've seen it several times, but the clincher for me was this:

Small group of DC knocked down inner door of keep. I ran to the top of the stairs inside, saw a lone DC coming towards the base of the stairs. I targeted him with a blastbones when I saw him. He ran up the stairs and killed me just as the blastbones finished forming. It takes a blastbones 2.5 seconds to form before it attacks (and before you ask, yes, I was attacking myself, I wasn't waiting for the skeleton.) So he killed me within the 2.5 second interval... no biggie, but then my Improved Death Recap popped up. IDR recorded over 4.5 seconds of attacks on me, yet this happened within the 2.5 second animation on the blastbones.

This happened last month, all factions were at one bar, so no zerg induced lags, no procs. My interest in ESO PVP has gone down a lot.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds about right.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exeter411 wrote: »

Small group of DC knocked down inner door of keep. I ran to the top of the stairs inside, saw a lone DC coming towards the base of the stairs. I targeted him with a blastbones when I saw him. He ran up the stairs and killed me just as the blastbones finished forming. It takes a blastbones 2.5 seconds to form before it attacks (and before you ask, yes, I was attacking myself, I wasn't waiting for the skeleton.) So he killed me within the 2.5 second interval... no biggie, but then my Improved Death Recap popped up. IDR recorded over 4.5 seconds of attacks on me, yet this happened within the 2.5 second animation on the blastbones.

This happened last month, all factions were at one bar, so no zerg induced lags, no procs. My interest in ESO PVP has gone down a lot.

This is why I run with such high health. The bigger your health pool the more of a chance to survive this exact thing. I absolutely hate when this happens to me.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Exeter411
    Exeter411
    ✭✭✭

This is why I run with such high health. The bigger your health pool the more of a chance to survive this exact thing. I absolutely hate when this happens to me.

Yeah, I tried that but even with 45K+ health, it only buys another second of (my) time. Frankly, this happens so consistently that PVP isn't interesting anymore.
  • Dorkener
    Dorkener
    ✭✭✭
    ITT: People dodging 100% of incoming damage without any visible input vs people dying 100-0 without a chance of any input. Balance?
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also brought down by 5 melee attacks from wardens and other 2h users while I am over 30m away and in stealth. Thats when I log out of cyro and do something else.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    auto dodges still plague bgs, especially on ranged spells. I’ve had 8 crystal frags in a row autododged (no roll animation anywhere to be seen).

and for all of the threads discussing this I have yet to see a single comment of clarification from a dev.

when lag is bad, ranged classes are unplayable in pvp.
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vizirith wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure roll lasts 1 second so anything "landing" within that time frame will be dodged, but I feel like with some channeled abilities it lasts longer. I've had all my Bound Armaments miss from 1 dodge roll. As each armament fires every .3 sec, 4 should land within 1.2 secs, but then they shouldn't all miss. I've also felt like I've dodged more bow ult projectiles than I should've but don't use the skill myself so it's possible I'm mistaken. But I just chalk it up to server issues like pretty much everything else I can't explain.

Think this is what most people have most issues with. I recall there used to be a window where you dodgeroll stuff a little bit after the actual dodgeroll aswell (which leads to the character dodging while standing up). Happens alot on my stamblade when I'm permarolling away from players attacks.

And I'm not using any third party program or meridias/blessed armorset.

Funniest thing is when it's so laggy you can sometimes see dead people (corpses of players) who stand up, do that dodge animation then fall down dead again. xD

I don't recall how long the 'dodgewindow' was or if they have changed it but..
    EU | PC
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you talking only about Cyrodiil or BGs too?

I've never seen this happen in BGs, at least over the past 3 months of intensive build testing.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)