Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Dark Brotherhood pvp idea

deathsia
deathsia
✭✭
So I had this idea pop into my head as i was doing contracts in game and this thought occured to me:

Wouldn't it be cool to have player contracts in game? An actual player to target and kill?

So this is my hypothetical idea for a dark brotherhood pvp contract concept:

In the dark brotherhood skill line, two new skills would be available to the player:

PVP Contracts: Allows you to take on player contracts

PVP Stealth: When you are within 30 meters of your target and begin sneaking, you are granted 30 seconds of invisibility.(This is to give the player a fair chance to get a stealth-instant kill on their target though this can be countered with certain skills that reveal stealthed players...)

Names pending obviously but anyways.

Mechanics:

How this could work is this: Once you take a pvp contract you are given a player name and the region they're in(example: they are in reaper's march) if they leave the region your quest log is updated to the new region they went to.

Once the player finds their target and is within 30 meters of them, the target player is flashed a message on their screen along with a tense music theme(think a sort of jaws-like theme):

THE DARK BROTHERHOOD HAS COME FOR YOUR SOUL! RUN OR FIGHT!

Along with a quest: Survive the dark brotherhoods' assassination attempt.

If the hunting player has the pvp stealth passive, they will be invisible to everyone including their target unless they have stealth revealing abilities and hit them with said revealing skill for 30 seconds(the timer pauses if they leave stealth to pursue a running player).

The target player now has two options. Teleporting and mounting is disabled for as long as the dark brotherhood hunter is within 60 meters of them during this time. They are also inflicted with a "fearing for your life" debuff which causes them to consume stamina at a x3 rate and regain stamina at a 5x slower rate. If their stamina bar is fully depleted they are inflicted with a "terrified and out of breath" debuff they must wait 5 seconds to begin regaining stamina.(This is to prevent the target player from being able to constantly outrun the hunter player while still giving them a decent chance to escape.)

They can either run for it, or attempt to reveal the player so they are forced to fight them one-vs-one with a revealing spell or skill. Once revealed, the hunter can no longer enter stealth by crouching and the option to perform an instant-kill is no longer available to the player.

If the target player chooses to run, they must evade the hunter for at least 10 minutes at which point the hunter player will fail the contract and the target player will be safe.

If the hunter player manages to get within 5 meters behind their target in stealth, they can instant kill the target player.

I realize this hypothetical concept has many potential flaws but its an idea at the very least! Thoughts? Opinions?
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would only be able to Happen in PvP-Land.

PvEers would get testy if some Assassin popped out and stabbed them to death
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • deathsia
    deathsia
    ✭✭
    Mr_Stach wrote: »
    It would only be able to Happen in PvP-Land.

PvEers would get testy if some Assassin popped out and stabbed them to death

The problem with that is that players that main pvp zones WOULD ALWAYS PACK revealing spells and skills to make sure the hunter would NEVER get an instant kill, making the stealth ability POINTLESS.

The concept of this is the average player can be caught unawares, aka unprepared. Unlike a hard core pvper who the moment he got that message would lock in every AOE related stealth revealing skill he has into his secondary action bar and spam them until he snagged the hunting player at which point he and his team of pals would steamroll the hunter since pvp zones are open pvp and anyone can attack anyone basically.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So you just want to force PvP onto PvE Players. Or Insta-Kill Players.

People would need to opt into the system otherwise you'll *** of a bunch on people

• deathsia
    deathsia
    ✭✭
    So you just want to force PvP onto PvE Players. Or Insta-Kill Players.

People would need to opt into the system otherwise you'll *** of a bunch on people

Your missing the ENTIRE POINT of this system, from a lore standpoint NO ONE is safe from the dark brotherhood and NO ONE is forcing pvp here, the player freely has the option to attempt to flee. The point of this system is a to encourage a game of "cat and mouse" between two players who have never met.

It meant to be a suspenseful situation akin to "Oh crap, where are they?! Are they behind me?!" kind of horror movie moment since the dark brotherhood is feared across the elder scrolls universe and not a "Oh great, now a gotta pvp this guy..." dreading moment.

Where would be the fun in forcing a player to pvp? Especially if one is higher level than the other. That's why the player is given the option to flee. It's not like the hunter can run up, spam solar flare 5 times and be done with it, they are MEANT TO SNEAK UP ON THEIR TARGET, pvp is is meant as LAST RESORT, I'M BUSTED, LET'S TRY TO GET THE KILL ANYWAYS situation.

I mean, would you rather the target player be helpless and only able to run?

Plus the rewards could be provided for escaping assassination or defeating the hunting player. Make the rewards generous enough and even non-pvpers could be swayed to be in favor of such a system.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not missing the point, I'm saying that people may not enjoy being forced to try to outrun an invisible attacker, maybe get assassinated, lose gear durability, have to respawn, or PvP their attacker, when they just want to Farm Mats or Motifs.

I understand Conceptually, it could be a fun system, an interesting cat and mouse thing.

But the execution is super important, and I don't think Zos could implement in a way that will make the Risk of Random Assassination worth it.

Just my point of view on that subject

• Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    I get you'd want the fun of being the hunter, but if anything I think it should be a pve feature. Assassination attempts are a random encounter in both tes3 and 5. Both of which you had the option to track down the brotherhood and retaliate (very satisfying). In Skyrim the assassins were usually a joke and would even go after their own members. But whoo man I remember fighting for my life when encountering the dark brotherhood in tes3, at least before I got super leveled up. It was a very memorable experience. But this game isn't really built for those kind of fun encounters. Anything that's "difficult" in this game is gonna be just one shots, and that is never fun. So I don't see it having a menacing application in pve without some serious work. And most standard assassin-like enemies already in the game just yell "to the side!" and die when you flick them on the nose.

In pvp, while it does sound interesting POTENTIALLY, I really don't wanna deal with a tryhard assassin that's tryna mess with me while I'm just buying something from a trader. Especially if I'm "given the option to run" as you say, yet my magtoons unupgraded stamina gets used at 3 times the rate and regens 5 times slower?! No chance in oblivion anyone is getting out of there, even as a vamp runner I'd imagine. Plus, fighting as a Stam class would be asinine. I'd even call it impossible. Only hope I can think of is wait for the guards auto-oneshot to hit the assassin if you want to win. I don't see it happening without a specific battleground/arena type of setup at the very least.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Man wouldn't it just be so fun if you randomly died while crafting or moving stuff into your bank etc, or if you were new to the game? wow, y'know I can't possibly imagine people not enjoying this uninvited invasion of their privacy and downtime.

it doesn't take even 5 seconds think about the consequences of just how bad such a system is.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • deathsia
    deathsia
    ✭✭
    Man wouldn't it just be so fun if you randomly died while crafting or moving stuff into your bank etc, or if you were new to the game? wow, y'know I can't possibly imagine people not enjoying this uninvited invasion of their privacy and downtime.

it doesn't take even 5 seconds think about the consequences of just how bad such a system is.

That's because you lack vision. you're taking what I've written at face value and refusing to see the potential of such a system if refined and balanced.

I did say the system had flaws and its not like if something like this was implemented, it would exactly as you see here but it would retain the idea of a suspenseful cat and mouse situation. I'm sure if polished and balanced, this kind of mechanic could be very fun.

• RoseTheSnowElf
    RoseTheSnowElf
    ✭✭✭
    We have essentially what you are describing in PvP, it's called "ganking". And ppl who willingly PvP knowing it's likely to happen and prepare for it still get "ganked" and still get frustrated (to put it mildly) when it happens.

Ppl who want nothing to do with PvP so much so that they have never stepped foot in Cyro or IC are really not going embrace something like this if it were added to the game. Especially if it's not optional.

And the overwhelming majority of players who straddle both PvP and PvE equally probably don't what to be "ganked" outside of Cyro or IC when they are not in the mood for PvP. No matter how much warning they get that they've been targeted.

What you are describing sounds really interesting, especially if it was in a game that was built for it from the beginning. But I don't believe it would fit in ESO as the game is now.
    PS5 NA EP GH

Wood Elf NB - 5 Star

Dark Elf Arcanist (healer) - AR 34
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    deathsia wrote: »

That's because you lack vision. you're taking what I've written at face value and refusing to see the potential of such a system if refined and balanced.

I did say the system had flaws and its not like if something like this was implemented, it would exactly as you see here but it would retain the idea of a suspenseful cat and mouse situation. I'm sure if polished and balanced, this kind of mechanic could be very fun.

As a game designer i certainly do not lack vision. The only thing I lack is empathy for your system that is utterly devoid of balance or fun for the victims of it.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good way to clear out PvE players from their game, that's exactly what they want... for people to leave.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A good way to clear out PvE players from their game, that's exactly what they want... for people to leave.

Well that's what their "Balance Passes" indicate

• Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    Malyore wrote: »
    I get you'd want the fun of being the hunter, but if anything I think it should be a pve feature. Assassination attempts are a random encounter in both tes3 and 5. Both of which you had the option to track down the brotherhood and retaliate (very satisfying). In Skyrim the assassins were usually a joke and would even go after their own members. But whoo man I remember fighting for my life when encountering the dark brotherhood in tes3, at least before I got super leveled up. It was a very memorable experience. But this game isn't really built for those kind of fun encounters. Anything that's "difficult" in this game is gonna be just one shots, and that is never fun. So I don't see it having a menacing application in pve without some serious work. And most standard assassin-like enemies already in the game just yell "to the side!" and die when you flick them on the nose.

In pvp, while it does sound interesting POTENTIALLY, I really don't wanna deal with a tryhard assassin that's tryna mess with me while I'm just buying something from a trader. Especially if I'm "given the option to run" as you say, yet my magtoons unupgraded stamina gets used at 3 times the rate and regens 5 times slower?! No chance in oblivion anyone is getting out of there, even as a vamp runner I'd imagine. Plus, fighting as a Stam class would be asinine. I'd even call it impossible. Only hope I can think of is wait for the guards auto-oneshot to hit the assassin if you want to win. I don't see it happening without a specific battleground/arena type of setup at the very least.

Something else I've given some thought to in terms of why I don't think this game is really built for it is there's no punishment for death. Death outside of dungeons is at most an inconvenience due to the armor durability, and the short window where you can't sprint. Compare it to other TES games where, even then death is not a huge deal, you still feel mostly unwilling to die because it'll backtrack you on progress to whatever degree your last save was. Even if you save right before making a risky jump, if you mess up the jump and die it means you have to redo it again. Here in eso there have been plenty of times I just leap off a cliff to get somewhere because I know I can pick up my corpse, brush off the dust, and the world keeps turning as if nothing happened.

Now compare that to a game like dark souls 1, where there IS an invasion system if you willing activate a buff. And so pvp lurks around semi-unexpectedly. There are plenty of times when I would see the warning message that I got invaded and would be so panicked! Especially while new to the game. And it's because there was the discomfort of an enemy player inside your world and the knowledge that if you die, you get sent back all the way to a check point (that you can't fast travel with, unlike wayshrines), all the enemies you had fought are now respawned, AND you risk losing all of the currency/exp you made. There were plenty of times back in the day I'd play cat and mouse as both an invading pvper and the target. But that's because that game was designed with that from the very beginning and has mechanics in place for it and has a decent combat system on top of it. Eso does not. I don't think that same level of worry or panic would exist in eso. Only frustration.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm in the no thanks camp. You would need to be able to opt out (just like you can for duels) and it be off by default so that new players/unaware players aren't just ganked standing by the wayshrine, or AFK etc

The last thing I would want as a player is to be part way through a quest or something then have a message pop up that someone is trying to kill me and I have to stop what I am doing to sort it out.
    Soupy twist
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    like others said this basically exists in pvp already, its called ganking and NBs do it all the time without needing to get some quest for it, and this is something frequently complained about by people who are new to pvp

not to mention you are also making the target debuffed to the point they almost cant fight back (no teleporting, no mounting even if not in combat yet, massive stamina debuffs (increased cost and decreased regen, and 0 stam regen for 5 sec after bottoming out), and allowing them to be instant killed without counterplay or ability to do anything to stop it)

it is a horribly unbalanced system and will just drive people away
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bah all you naysayers! The target could simply sign up to be a target as part of an alternate quest perhaps and if he or she survives the attempt they get a reward of some kind.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    oqqem5imt22a.gif

• GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tie it to the Bounty system.

Display players' bounties above them, make them targetable except in the Outlaws' Refuges, Thieves' Den, or Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.

8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok if I get 100k gold every time I get killed
    PC-EU
  • deathsia
    deathsia
    ✭✭

As a game designer i certainly do not lack vision. The only thing I lack is empathy for your system that is utterly devoid of balance or fun for the victims of it.

As an indie game developer myself, I make the counter-point that, once again, this is a hypothetical system and unrefined or balanced. I literally did the equivalent of throwing a beta out into the wild without bothering to check for bugs or major flaws. If I took the time and effort to study in game mechanics more in-depth than I already have(like break out the nerd calculator and crunch numbers) I could probly type out a far more polished and balanced version of what I typed above.

I do not want to do that, this whole point of this thread was to throw the idea out there to be discussed and potentially seen by eso developers and possibly be implemented ROUGHLY based on my idea. The negative reception was to be expected but I didn't expect people to shut down the idea completely. I figured people would discuss ways to improve my rough draft of an idea and make it more enjoyable for both sides. The former occurred rather than the latter sadly...
    Tie it to the Bounty system.

Display players' bounties above them, make them targetable except in the Outlaws' Refuges, Thieves' Den, or Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.

OOOHHH! I like that idea but then the flaw in that concept is how easy it is to wipe your bounty. Players would take a contract only see i vanish the moment a player paid off their bounty or got killed by a guard. Perhaps maybe if the bounty passes a threshold the player is then warned that they can be targeted by the dark brotherhood if they don't pay off their bounty soon and after a given period of time, the show up in a special contract book inside the dark brotherhood sanctuary.

Once a player takes the contract, the targeted player's bounty is wiped clean however they recieve a "Marked for death by the brotherhood" status effect with a 24hr timer that pauses while they are logged out on that character. Killing your target would award you the bounty they incurred.

• Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that this concept is imho seriously flawed. It is essentially forced PvP in every zone "disguised" as RP lol. And it is not just any PvP like BGs. It is one of its worst forms - cheesy ganking. The only thing that can be worse is a ball group.

Imagine for example fighting an Overland World boss & getting ganked while doing so. I don't think that It would be "fun". Imagine for example "campers" in Vivec city (or any other City) crafting hub. And what if you will have a really bad assasin & you will be able to kill them ? It won't cancel their quest. They will just respawn & try again... and again... and again... even if you logoff, they will keep trying the next day...

It seems like a perfect way to ruin a lot of other systems in ESO (like for example: fishing, crafting, farming items & crafting mats, trading, the eso economy etc).

Besides... Even from a lore standpoint this systems does not make much sense. Dark Brotherhood might seem like a fanatic group of killers, but they only kill if the contract was "approved" by the Night Mother / Dread Father / Sithis. That is what "Listeners" are for. To communicate with the Night Mother.

I mean if the act of performing a "Black Sacrament" itself "enabled" the contract... imagine how it would be abused in TES world. Every one would use it to get rid of people they simply "don't like" lol. My point is DB does only kill if the "target" really deserves it & Sithis is the "judge" here.

I really don't believe that the Protagonist of ESO (the character you play) deserves such a fate. Especially if:
    A - They are also a member of the Dark Brotherhood.
    B - They know soul magic so they will respawn at the way shrine. GJ Dark Brotherhood killer... your target is um... alive... again.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on May 26, 2022 11:14AM
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the hunting player has the pvp stealth passive, they will be invisible to everyone including their target unless they have stealth revealing abilities and hit them with said revealing skill for 30 seconds(the timer pauses if they leave stealth to pursue a running player).

The target player now has two options. Teleporting and mounting is disabled for as long as the dark brotherhood hunter is within 60 meters of them during this time. They are also inflicted with a "fearing for your life" debuff which causes them to consume stamina at a x3 rate and regain stamina at a 5x slower rate. If their stamina bar is fully depleted they are inflicted with a "terrified and out of breath" debuff they must wait 5 seconds to begin regaining stamina.(This is to prevent the target player from being able to constantly outrun the hunter player while still giving them a decent chance to escape.)

They can either run for it, or attempt to reveal the player so they are forced to fight them one-vs-one with a revealing spell or skill. Once revealed, the hunter can no longer enter stealth by crouching and the option to perform an instant-kill is no longer available to the player.

If the target player chooses to run, they must evade the hunter for at least 10 minutes at which point the hunter player will fail the contract and the target player will be safe.

If the hunter player manages to get within 5 meters behind their target in stealth, they can instant kill the target player.

I realize this hypothetical concept has many potential flaws but its an idea at the very least! Thoughts? Opinions?

Can you point out the part in any of this that is actually going to be fun for anybody. Just the stamina debuffs alone are ridiculous and suggest you haven't played enough existing PvP already to know how OP your suggested debuffs are.

There is only one way to do open world PvP and that is to have a double opt in system, or a player flagging system.

Double opt in means you pull a contract from a quest board. Another player does the same. And then the game pairs you against each other. Sort of a wider area Duel. Even so, this would have to be limited to one zone and no doors or wayshrines could be used, otherwise one player could simply go into their own house, disable guests, and then never be caught.

Flagged accounts would make any player who has engaged in PvP in the last n Minutes be flagged and attackable by another flagged player, regardless of what zone they are in. For these, your existing idea may work but with no debuffs on the target and, in return, no warning message. So basically you would take a quest, get the player name, get their location and then you could stalk them. No doubt as a hero returning from war who needs taking out, or as a superstar battlegrounder who has had a contract out on them by a rival team.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. It's a totally stupid idea because you are messing with people against their will... so I'm fighting a world boss, almost completed it, and you turn up, totally hidden, instakill at the ready. My stamina goes, I can't run, and I have to break off playing MY game to fulfil your silly assassin delusions.

2. People hate gankers in PvP. From the very first time you have to hand in a quest, only to be istakilled by a cloaked ganker you learn to be paranoid. All part of PvP, but NOT part of PvE. Just imagine how much people would explode with rage about being repeatedly killed while trying to dye their outfit...

3. Total imbalance. I realize that this is your assassin fantasy, jumping on people who want no part of it and are completely unaware, but why should the "prey" be hit with a debuff? You're invisible, I don't know there's a contract out on me, why should I be concerned? Whereas your weak little milk-drinker's heart will be all a flutter! No, YOU get an increasing stamina + magica drop, and YOU start to fumble as you get closer, losing invisibility and with each passing second the probability of an instakill drops. And the only "skill" you can use is the Blade of Woe.

4. You complete a quest by killing me, I have to run for 10 minutes just to get you off my back! All upside for the assassin? Not once do you say how things could turn out bad for the assassin. Let's make it a bit spicy... what might happen to a failed assassin? Death, obviously, but that isn't much of a downside in a game where you just res. You're keen on the lore point of view... expulsion from the Brotherhood, obviously, with a substantial delay before you can rejoin. Clearly you lose the Blade of Woe and the ability to take more contracts... in fact as you've brought disgrace to the Brotherhood there is a permanent contract on you until you've managed to persuade them you deserve a second chance, restarting the DB from the very beginning. You failed Sithis, you are lucky to get a second chance!
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be a fun idea if there was a "option" to participate or "option" to not participate.
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna say this could be an awesome form of "rated" pvp with a strong set of systems for who deserves to have a contract put out on them. You should only get a contract generated if you do PVPer stuff. So, if they did this they should add automated checks for the following behavior.

-Getting the highest kill count and lowest score in battle grounds
    -Spending X amount of telvar within 24 hours
    -Hit tier 2 rewards in Cyrodil
    -Queueing for normals as a tank with (2 out of 3) no taunts, no s+b or frost staff, no heavy armor
    -Every X amount of AP
    -If you take a contract you get a contract generated on yourself

Then what does an assassination contract/encounter look like. I think the hunted should get a notice that they have a contract, but not know that it's active until they run into the assassin. The assassin should get a map marker as long as the hunted is online. When the assassin gets within a certain range it should trigger a duel instance involving any party members the hunted player would have. If the hunted gets a certain distance away, the contract fails.

Then the rewards. Gold, launderable treasures, high end alchemy ingredients, maybe some gold mats tied to progression with the system, transmute rocks? If the hunted kills their assassin they should get a fat amount of gold on tops of randomly generated treasure the assassin would drop.

Then how do you choose how much the contract is worth? Tie base amount to the "offense" that generated the contract, and multiply it by some coefficient based on Alliance army rating and/or brotherhood pvp contract rating

Damn, they wouldn't need to add any pvp content for another 6 years.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna say this could be an awesome form of "rated" pvp with a strong set of systems for who deserves to have a contract put out on them. You should only get a contract generated if you do PVPer stuff. So, if they did this they should add automated checks for the following behavior.

-Getting the highest kill count and lowest score in battle grounds
    -Spending X amount of telvar within 24 hours
    -Hit tier 2 rewards in Cyrodil
    -Queueing for normals as a tank with (2 out of 3) no taunts, no s+b or frost staff, no heavy armor
    -Every X amount of AP
    -If you take a contract you get a contract generated on yourself

Then what does an assassination contract/encounter look like. I think the hunted should get a notice that they have a contract, but not know that it's active until they run into the assassin. The assassin should get a map marker as long as the hunted is online. When the assassin gets within a certain range it should trigger a duel instance involving any party members the hunted player would have. If the hunted gets a certain distance away, the contract fails.

Then the rewards. Gold, launderable treasures, high end alchemy ingredients, maybe some gold mats tied to progression with the system, transmute rocks? If the hunted kills their assassin they should get a fat amount of gold on tops of randomly generated treasure the assassin would drop.

Then how do you choose how much the contract is worth? Tie base amount to the "offense" that generated the contract, and multiply it by some coefficient based on Alliance army rating and/or brotherhood pvp contract rating

Damn, they wouldn't need to add any pvp content for another 6 years.

i definitely wouldnt want this either, when i am not in a pvp zone, i do not want any form of pvp, you have to make the choice to go to a pvp zone, and this removes all choice from participating in the pvp

i dont mind pvp, and in fact enjoy times in cyrodiil and IC, but i dont want pvp forced on me

i also saw the bash in there for people who queue as fake tanks, which has nothing to do with pvp

certain classes and builds would be outright impossible to either hunt or be hunted and do the duel depending on location, as guards still aggro on skills marked as criminal activity even while dueling (ive had this happen several times on my necromancer, so i refuse to duel in towns because blastbones triggers the guards which then attack and kill me)

i really dont understand why people feel they must inject pvp into the pve zones
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on May 26, 2022 10:22PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don't go to a Hamburger Place for a Hotdog.

Just sayin'

• DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"i definitely wouldnt want this either, when i am not in a pvp zone, i do not want any form of pvp, you have to make the choice to go to a pvp zone, and this removes all choice from participating in the pvp

i dont mind pvp, and in fact enjoy times in cyrodiil and IC, but i dont want pvp forced on me

i also saw the bash in there for people who queue as fake tanks, which has nothing to do with pvp

certain classes and builds would be outright impossible to either hunt or be hunted and do the duel depending on location, as guards still aggro on skills marked as criminal activity even while dueling (ive had this happen several times on my necromancer, so i refuse to duel in towns because blastbones triggers the guards which then attack and kill me)

i really dont understand why people feel they must inject pvp into the pve zones"

I fake tank normals with a non tank loadout all the time as a pvper to get dungeon gear easy. I think of it as a pvper thing done for pvp reasons. Not a bash at all.

I think people want to add pvp to pve zones because there's a genuine appetite among the community for a fresh and creative approach to pvp in this game.

now that you mention it, streak would guarantee any sorc could get away easy and towns would have to be off limits.

and no matter what, it's all okay because it's probably never gonna happen.

Edited by DrNukenstein on May 26, 2022 10:50PM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't go to a Hamburger Place for a Hotdog.

Just sayin'

You just don't have "vision" :P
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I realize this hypothetical concept has many potential flaws...
    Oh, I think maybe you have no idea how deep those flaws go.

First of all, PvEers won't stand for it. Many people hate PvP. If anything it could only happen in PvP areas or on an "opt in" basis. Judging by how few people turned on open world PvP while I played New World, last year, some pretty huge incentives will be needed for letting yourself be ganked. Even if those existed, who would turn that on? The questers that roam open world would not. The endgame player, who might stand a chance at defending themselves, where are they? They're not found in open world, unless they're doing writs or waiting for a trial in Craglorn. They're in trials and dungeons most of the time, or in PvP.

Secondly, losing all your stamina is a death sentence in PvP. If you can't fight back, what's the point? It won't be satisfying to either party.

Thirdly, 30 seconds of invisibility won't work or won't work well. If the target was totally unsuspecting, it might. In general, though, nightblades work because they can recast Cloak at will. There are things that knock you out of cloak. Invisibility potions are nototiously unreliable around players, because it only takes one thing to break them and then you can't recloak.

Fourth, this will attract a certain type of player, those who already play gankers. I think nightblades have a place in open world as the preferred class for solo players. The class, along with sorc, offers some protection from being zerged down, but the possibility of that exists. Now you want to give gankers guaranteed 1v1s? That will be a wet dream for a few, whereas the majority will loathe it, including self-respecting nightblades. In other words this would lead to some extremely toxic gameplay.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB