The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

15 minutes of relic defense and not a single medal

SkaraMinoc
SkaraMinoc
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
0 score

sfYPCvo.png

9TXBx0d.png

:neutral:
PC NA
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rofl....burns. I only really like flag games, relic is close second, followed by chaos and DM lastly...I hate DM it's like mini stacking on crown with group heals.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While defending the relic, specifically, might not give any points there are some things that you would expect a relic defender to do. Like some damage. Or get a kill. Or return a relic.

In this case you did your job too well I suppose— because nobody ever picked your relic up? But you only have about 50k damage also in 15 minutes so I think the real problem was that you were defending a relic that didn’t need defending.

One of the things I like about capture the relic is how you need to change your team strategy sometimes. Either in the way your team is split or in the opponent your team is currently targeting. Or that if you notice the other two teams are fighting constantly, but it’s turned into a big dm style, then you probably need all hands on deck instead of leaving one back.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    In this case you did your job too well I suppose— because nobody ever picked your relic up? But you only have about 50k damage also in 15 minutes so I think the real problem was that you were defending a relic that didn’t need defending.

Nobody picked up our relic. That 50k damage was from Boundless Storm and bashing.

Healer build = no damage skills slotted

I didn't want to defend but nobody else wanted to. Solo Random Battleground full of PvE players.

Almost every game where I leave to go take a relic, ours gets taken instead.

I hate Capture the Relic anyways. Much prefer Deathmatch. Just need the daily XP and transmutes for build experimentation.
    PC NA
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what you get for not treating every mode as DM :trollface:
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »

The truth hurts.
    PC NA
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    This one screws me over too in PUGs all the time. They don't realize capturing the relic only counts if yours is still at the base. As warden heals I can keep people from getting our relic by staying alive and bashing, but I'm not getting a kill until someone runs back to help.
    I'd much rather be running the relic or fighting, but pugs aren't coordinated, and any time I get bored of rotating Netch/Frost Cloak and run to find action, we lose the relic.

We should get medal points for defending your relic at the base, like you do for defending a flag. A tiny point tick won't change the relic = 100 points, 5 relics is the game, but will keep people who are properly playing the objective from getting ZERO points.
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

The truth hurts.

Haha, yeah.
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medals seem strange this patch. I often end matches where I feel like I contributed the most to the objectives, as well as had the most kills and assists with the fewest deaths, but I lag behind in medal count to others on my team who seem to passively rack up tons of healer medals.

Do skills like spirit mender not count towards heal totals?
    Edited by propertyOfUndefined on May 24, 2022 4:12PM
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

so true
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • WordsOfPower
    WordsOfPower
    ✭✭✭
    One time I defended the relic with my two-shot Stamplar build and clocked up around 20 kills, and still got almost nothing for my troubles.

My team didn't win cuz the other 3 were not skilled relic runners, and the team that won obviously realised at some point that there was another relic that was less well guarded.

I'm still yet to find a way to enjoyably play this game mode without abusing it, and without relying on PUGs to defend my relic.

I'd say my experience sounds similar to SkaraMinoc: when I go on the offensive, the PUGs can't keep mine safe and my hard work is for nothing.

When I stay to defend, my hard work is for nothing.

Occasionally, you can get a game where you stay to defend (and so remain a kind of hidden agent) and then time your run to go and pick up a relic literally as soon as it respawns, but in doing this I still have no sense of achievement, cuz a) I'm only able to do this under very specific circumstances, not whenever I like, and b) it's not PvP. I wait for an uncontested objective, and then Adept Rider it away before anyone can do anything.

Of all the game modes, this is the worst.

EDIT: and of all the game modes, it would be the one most improved by having 6v6
    Edited by WordsOfPower on May 26, 2022 1:39AM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of all the game modes, this is the worst.

Capture the Relic has some major issues.
    • 3 team format means 2 teams often send a total of 6-8 players to overwhelm the weakest team.
    • Anyone can take the relic with HoT stacking + 1 Unstoppable potion + Meridia's Blessed set. There's no counter for it.
    • Even without cc immunity, 1 tank + healer (or 2 healers) can sit on an enemy flag indefinitely until the relic is taken.
    • Effective relic defense means the enemy gives up trying to get your relic and instead goes for the 3rd team. This means doing nothing for 10+ minutes until the match ends. Exciting :neutral:
    • If you want to Deathmatch instead, some player will capture 5 relics in 3 minutes with Adept Rider + Jailbreak + Wild Hunt + Movespeed trait/mundus and you'll get kicked back out to BG queue for another 10-15 minutes.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on May 26, 2022 1:00PM
    PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Warsong Gulch was the best CTF battleground of all time. All they had to do was copy it.
    PC NA
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relic is actually fun if you don't plan to win, and just want to drag out the game for as long as possible while having some decent PvP. The structure of the game pretty much guarantees split teams, so practically it means lots of 1v1, 2v2 fights all over the map, and occasional huge fights blobs that won't capture anything.

Trickiest part is that when playing the healer you need to be in attacking group, unless you are near when your relic is attacked.
  • RitualSmoke
    RitualSmoke
    ✭✭✭
    I find abandoning the strategy of defending to be the most fun, full team run and take a relic if yours is gone usually back in 30 seconds or you can mob as all four to beat down a usually solo holder