Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Can't open Chrome after starting ESO?

• Master_Fluff
    Master_Fluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, here I thought it was just my (and nobody elses) Winblows machine that was acting weird. Good to know it's being worked on.
    Halcyon Black
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still can't open Chrome after closing ESO, one month later.

Any updates?
  • Dosska
    Dosska
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Still can't open Chrome after closing ESO, one month later.

Any updates?

Admin post from 3 days ago says they are still working on it and will update when there's a fix.
  • lemonizzle
    lemonizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Fixed an issue where Google Chrome couldn't be launched while ESO was running."

This is from the 8.0.0 PTS notes, although I hope we won't have to wait until the chapter drops.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that on my Windows 7 machine which has the PTS installed, all affected apps (Chrome, Glyph and Steam) work normally after running ESO (PTS client).

Interestingly, Fallout 76 has also been causing the same issues since their last update, and that hasn't been fixed yet.

• radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Tandor. That's good to hear, after the fiasco of U33! I was gonna skip the pts since I have such problems with Live, but now I'll try it out :neutral:
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Xinihp
    Xinihp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just FYI, if you have GSYNC and have it set to "windows & full screen" and run ESO in "windowed fullscreen" mode, performance in any other window you tab to will be RADICALLY decreased. My Firefox doesn't crash, but attempting to scroll lags by about 4+ seconds and everything is totally unresponsive.

However, my global CPU use remains under 30% while this is happening and memory is not running at capacity either.

If you set ESO to fullscreen mode, or set GSYNC to fullscreen only, the problem goes away. However not sure if GSYNC works in "windowed fullscreen" when set to only fullscreen in the video settings.

Edited by Xinihp on April 22, 2022 11:40PM
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xinihp wrote: »
    Just FYI, if you have GSYNC and have it set to "windows & full screen" and run ESO in "windowed fullscreen" mode, performance in any other window you tab to will be RADICALLY decreased. My Firefox doesn't crash, but attempting to scroll lags by about 4+ seconds and everything is totally unresponsive.

However, my global CPU use remains under 30% while this is happening and memory is not running at capacity either.

If you set ESO to fullscreen mode, or set GSYNC to fullscreen only, the problem goes away. However not sure if GSYNC works in "windowed fullscreen" when set to only fullscreen in the video settings.

I'm playing with the same settings and it works fine for me.
    Try to setup Nvidia control settings -> 3d ->
    -Monitor technlogy: GSYNC
    -Mode for latency: Ultra
    -Vsync: Applicatin controlled

Within ESO enable VSync.

And within the NVIDIA 3D settings switch to the "Applications" tab and Disable Gsync for Applications where your FPS all of sudden drops below 20, I had the same. e.g. Minion, while mouse moved over the UI, made the FPS drop totally. After excluding it there it's fine.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a separate thread on the PTS forum about problems being encountered on the PTS with the fix that has been provided in the new PTS client.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/603563/explorer-exe-restart-after-pts-quit

• Adventurer
    Adventurer
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, this is interesting, I've been having this issue with Chrome as well, but I thought it's just related to Chrome, since I noticed it only this week (I came across this thread today). I don't have PTS installed, and also am on Win 7 64bit.
  • Belatiel
    Belatiel
    Soul Shriven
    My workaround to this issue is to;
    launch the task manager
    select 'new task' and;
    type chrome.exe
    -which thus far always launches chrome each time.
    It has saved my sanity, and seems far better than a full system reboot or killing explorer.exe

Hope it helps!
  • cncurbanmonk
    cncurbanmonk
    ✭✭
    crickets months later and patches later still same....guess I'm not buying the new area until they fix it and if they don't mess up more things when trying to add that in.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira
    ✭✭✭
    crickets months later and patches later still same....guess I'm not buying the new area until they fix it and if they don't mess up more things when trying to add that in.

The fix for this was announced on the PTS for the chapter update. It would have been a lot nicer to have the fix sooner if that was possible. For now I sign out of my user and sign back in, that fixes it.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArielSira wrote: »

The fix for this was announced on the PTS for the chapter update. It would have been a lot nicer to have the fix sooner if that was possible. For now I sign out of my user and sign back in, that fixes it.

Be careful what you ask for. The "fix" on PTS causes a lot more serious problems for your machine than the original problem being fixed (and affects all versions of Windows). See the thread I linked above for details. ZOS really shouldn't transfer the PTS client to the Live servers in its present state.
  • Dosska
    Dosska
    ✭✭
    Has anyone tested this since the latest patch? It seems the problem that was introduced in trying to fix this has been fixed but I don't know if this problem has been fixed.
  • Madarc
    Madarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dosska wrote: »
    Has anyone tested this since the latest patch? It seems the problem that was introduced in trying to fix this has been fixed but I don't know if this problem has been fixed.

05/22/2022: as was to be expected, it is still NOT fixed.
    The last current info you can find on Google (yes, works without TESO) is March 28.
    Maybe there is something newer, but I have no desire to search the forum every time for such solutions.
    chromeinfozbjlz.jpg

The problem still affects Opera as well as other Chrome-based browsers. Steam is also affected, the browser there, friends lists et cetera can not be used after ESO start.
    Ich wünsche mir in TESO für alle meine Charaktere: Ein Kostüm, auf dessen Rücken in fetten neongrün strahlenden Buchstaben steht:
    ARKANIST, geh mir aus dem Weg.. du leuchtender Sozialkontakt !
  • Madarc
    Madarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still last updated 03/28/2022 01:56 PM (see above).
    Still nothing new on this issue.

Hello Zenimax Technical Support,
    Can't or don't you care to change anything?
    You could of course wait until all Win7 users are extinct. I assume that is the current practiced solution to the problem.
    However, I would greatly appreciate clarification on this, just in case I am wrong in my assumption.
    But I hope that YOU won't have any problems if we continue to buy subscriptions, store items and so on.
    A note about the problem on your OWN website would be nice too...or updating the system requirements if necessary.
    Does it all sound cynical? Yes, that's exactly how it's meant. I hope you understand why some people react that way.

Just a reminder:
    -Chrom is still affected
    -Opera and similar are still affected
    -Steam browser including friends list etc. is still affected.
    Ich wünsche mir in TESO für alle meine Charaktere: Ein Kostüm, auf dessen Rücken in fetten neongrün strahlenden Buchstaben steht:
    ARKANIST, geh mir aus dem Weg.. du leuchtender Sozialkontakt !
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just installed High Isle today. I am on WIN 7 and my desktop resets every time I log out of the game. I thought this was fixed per the PTS?
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seravi wrote: »
    Just installed High Isle today. I am on WIN 7 and my desktop resets every time I log out of the game. I thought this was fixed per the PTS?
    That's the PTS fix, a simple system version check. Now it just doesn't restart explorer.exe on Windows 10 and 11.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During PTS, while this bug existed for win 10 & 11, the workaround I have found is to not to turn off the game by pressing "quit" button, but instead alt-tab & then kill ESO process. That way at least it won't restart your explorer.exe.

I know it is not much, and not ideal. After all, I can not see the devs making it the "intended" way to close the game.
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Word of advice if you're using addons that store any information in SavedVariables folder. Log out to character select first, this lets the addons write any new info from that game session. Then terminate the ESO process.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    K9002 wrote: »
    That's the PTS fix, a simple system version check. Now it just doesn't restart explorer.exe on Windows 10 and 11.

They need to fix this. The game supports WIN 7 so they need to support it. My sound, cooling fan software and system monitoring software crash at every log out of the game when it resets. Video happens now and again. There is no reason this game is in so deep it is controlling explorer.exe.

I don't use addons, never have. They seem to be okay with the player base trying to find a work around because they can't fix what they broke months ago.
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have hardware that doesn't use this kind of monitoring software, so I can't comment on that. But I gave it a try yesterday and somehow the Chrome issue is fixed now. I can open the browser while the game is still running, so I'm not sure if restarting explorer.exe at the end is doing anything at this point. My system just doesn't get broken in the first place.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Submitted a ticket - 220609-001799. This needs to be fixed. Their first "oops" was taking down our browsers. Go back to the March 13th update and start there. Something went off script with that update. Restarting explorer.exe is not the answer and you should not be doing this.

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've received two useless replies from support. One was to explain my issue which I did in great detail submitting the ticket as well as providing my report.txt. Second reply was copy/paste on how to update drivers and remove addons. I don't use addons never have and my drivers are updated.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've received two useless replies from support. One was to explain my issue which I did in great detail submitting the ticket as well as providing my report.txt. Second reply was copy/paste on how to update drivers and remove addons. I don't use addons never have and my drivers are updated.

Yeah it's interesting how they always try to spin it like we're doing something wrong with our systems. Yet they've admitted it was an issue caused on their end and were looking for a fix.... months ago.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah just got another reply asking for the Game Consultant report. Umm attached that to the original ticket. They said my system didn't meet the requirements for the game. I have been playing on this system since Beta.

My gaming PC is a custom build.

Asus X99-E WS (Intel X99 chipset)
    Intel i7-5960X CPU (Water Cooled)
    32GB RAM
    EVGA GTX980Ti Classified ACX 2.0+(SLI)
    850 EVO Pro OS & Game SSD drives
    SeaSonic Platinum Series 1200W PSU
    Windows 7 x64 SP1
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After sending the game consultant report I received another reply. They closed my ticket. Said to run chkdsk, thanks and have a wonderful day. Useless!
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can say that for me this issue has been fixed since the multiple down times for repairs after High Isle launch. I can now minimize the game and open Chrome with no issues that I have noticed.
  • brimits
    brimits
    ✭✭✭
    Although I can now open Chrome when the game has been launched, when quitting the game I think Explorer is restarted.
    That means that all the items in my system tray also restart including connecting to the internet.

I can see no reason why Explorer needs to restart on quitting if Chrome is still working.