The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fetch a Fair Fetching Price?

• I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you disagree, please note an example of good English where a word is repeated in the same sentence? Find an example in a writing Style book as well.

"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
    To the last syllable of recorded time;"

If it's good enough for Shakespeare (twice in the same phrase) then it's good enough for me :)

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri constantly calling everything fetchers is one of the main reasons I stopped using her.
    PCNA
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is not redundant if the words sounds the same but have different meanings. It's not bad English. It's called alliteration. It's a thing writers even do on purpose for effect.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pevey wrote: »
    It is not redundant if the words sounds the same but have different meanings. It's not bad English. It's called alliteration. It's a thing writers even do on purpose for effect.

Actually alliteration is the using of words beginning with the same letter several times in a sentence. Words which sound the same but have different meanings are homonyms.
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Pevey wrote: »

Actually alliteration is the using of words beginning with the same letter several times in a sentence. Words which sound the same but have different meanings are homonyms.

I know what both are. And it is alliteration when you use homonyms in this way. It was on purpose. Alliteration doesn't have to be one letter or two letters or any specific amount. It is the repetition of a sound. Repeating the same single-syllable word that has different meanings in close proximity is alliteration.

The point is, it was not "bad English."
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, gotcha. Misunderstood what you were referring to. Sorry!
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right, but so is the other person. :) If the words are identical, it's at the same time an alliteration. Perhaps even a figura etymologica on top if it's two different words / parts of speech from the same word family.

Apologies for derailing your thread even further, OT! But talking about these things is simply too tempting not to do this. ;)
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.
    Staff Post
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    joerginger wrote: »
    You're right, but so is the other person. :) If the words are identical, it's at the same time an alliteration. Perhaps even a figura etymologica on top if it's two different words / parts of speech from the same word family.

Apologies for derailing your thread even further, OT! But talking about these things is simply too tempting not to do this. ;)

I don't mind. It was just something I wanted to note. I don't find this speech as part of daily life either, even cursing.

Others seem to love it, so whatever!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Zephiran23
    Zephiran23
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you had had a better example, then I might have had to admit I had been convinced.

However, I think it's fine and gives her some sort of personality in the limited number of lines she has to use. It also fits from most of the encounters with NPCs in TES Morrowwind.