The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Fetch a Fair Fetching Price?

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
How does something fetch a fair fetching price?

Did anyone proofread the script or the one reading it pay any attention?
PC
PS4/PS5
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it’s funny because that work is used like a curse word for dark elves.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s funny because that word is used like a curse word for dark elves.

It is - which is why I believe the OP did use the swearword without breaking the ToS ^^

He's far from being a s'wit I'm telling you, muthsera.
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

>>Norg-Tzel - for Mara's sake, ZOS, REMOVE it from the list please!

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>highlighting WBs that are being fought

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Context please?
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • correctamundo
    correctamundo
    ✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Context please?

It's a MIrri voiceline. And it clearly is proofread.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Context please?

It's a MIrri voiceline. And it clearly is proofread.

Well, then i'm never going to hear it as my client isn't english.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works if you think fetch used normally like a verb and fetching like an adjective that here Miri uses it for a swear-word, like saying: 'get a fair hecking price'.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe i don't get it as english isn't my native language but for me it just sounds like "catching a fair and appealing price" on something.
    Edited by Kisakee on April 30, 2022 10:27AM
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it’s funny because that work is used like a curse word for dark elves.

It is all fun and games and then they call you the n'word :'(
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Dunmeri word for the F-word, since most modern-day expletives don't exist in the ES universe. Orcs use 'tusk' as a stand-in for that word.

Mirri drops the F-bomb with surprising frequency.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe i don't get it as english isn't my native language but for me it just sounds like "catching a fair and appealing price" on something.

You shouldn't repeat the same word twice in a sentence in English.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The same word can have different meanings and that's actually the case (as far as i understand it). Sure, they could have used other words but is this really such a big deal?
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The same word can have different meanings and that's actually the case (as far as i understand it). Sure, they could have used other words but is this really such a big deal?

It is still bad English and would have been rejected by all the editors I have written for over the years (for publication when that still happened).

It is just annoying. Posting a note about it here won't change anything, but is relatively harmless and this thread will soon fade.

If you disagree, please note an example of good English where a word is repeated in the same sentence? Find an example in a writing Style book as well.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it dies sound poorly written I've had a laugh about it. Seems it's alright for ZOS to curse in the game while the rest of us...
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is still bad English and would have been rejected by all the editors I have written for over the years (for publication when that still happened).

Then your editors were too harsh, if they'd ignore that it's a piece of casual dialogue, not a piece of formal literature.

(i.e, when someone's writing a novel, and a character in it speaks in what would be an "incorrect" manner? It's correct, because that's the way that they'd really speak. i.e, the dockworker uses language differently than Joe Regular Man who uses language differently than Proper Received English Barrister.)

Also, English (and particularly American) is full of words with multiple confusing definitions. People use the "same" word, meaning different things, in the same sentence all the time. Which, yes, is confusing to people from other languages/cultures/viewpoints. Just like it would be to a non-Dunmer, listening to a Dunmer speaking casually.

"Well that would fetch a fair <expletive> price!"
    Nothing seems wrong about that sentence structure.

(And it's also obviously the writer having fun with the fact they used "fetcher/fetching" as a fake Dunmer expletive. It's a bit of a joke, not an offense to written language. /shrug)
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is "Fracking" allowed?
  • carolingnight
    carolingnight
    ✭✭✭

For dialogue in creative or informal literature, I disagree. It's part of Mirri's character.
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is humorous because that his her "voice". Are you telling me that all editors require perfect English for the words spoken by a character in a work of fiction??? Which is what this is? This would be a super boring game if everyone spoke in perfect English and had no voice of their own.

If this was in a book the whole thing would be in quotes and would be considered her speaking voice.

I have read many many stories where the speaking voice of the characters was not perfect English. Are you saying that you have never read anything like that and that everyone of those novels, short stories, novellas, etc. were from shoddy publishing houses who don't know what they are doing?
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is humorous because that his her "voice". Are you telling me that all editors require perfect English for the words spoken by a character in a work of fiction??? Which is what this is? This would be a super boring game if everyone spoke in perfect English and had no voice of their own.

If this was in a book the whole thing would be in quotes and would be considered her speaking voice.

I have read many many stories where the speaking voice of the characters was not perfect English. Are you saying that you have never read anything like that and that everyone of those novels, short stories, novellas, etc. were from shoddy publishing houses who don't know what they are doing?

This. When I write the "extras" (think workers, peasants, mercs, whatever) always have some "not protagonist's" dialect - with in general the protagonist and her culture "speaking" good English (not always common American English either, sometimes it will be "high" English - more like a couple of my classy British friends; generally depends on where the protagonist grows up as to social stratum, that is middle class or better, or commoner, or even lower).
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You used "in" twice in that sentence. :p
  • correctamundo
    correctamundo
    ✭✭
    It's a pun and an alliteration all rolled into one. Thus it's not bad, but instead, brilliant literature.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

You used "in" twice in that sentence. :p

That's the last time that we are going to put up with that!
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fetch me, she fetching says "fetch", "fetching" and "fetcher" way too fetching much.

Fetching drives me so nuts sometimes I have to mute her fetchin arse.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is just annoying. Posting a note about it here won't change anything, but is relatively harmless and this thread will soon fade.

If you disagree, please note an example of good English where a word is repeated in the same sentence? Find an example in a writing Style book as well.

"My horse barreled through the barrel race, rounding the last barrel in time for second place."

Despite using barrel in two or three different ways, it's pretty clear that the word is being used correctly, and you can tell what's happening.

"Let me mount my mount."

Again, we've got a verb/noun combo that an Editor might sneer at, but is also understandable.

Personally, I can see it would be confusing for anyone who doesn't realize that "fetch" is Dunmer slang. But since I do, I think her overuse of "fetch" is comedic.

Also:
    5istbt.jpg
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The repetition is the point. It's a play on words, one of which happens to be Dunmeri slang.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be: "If you're going to kill bugs, at least fetch fetching fetcher flies!"
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drammanoth wrote: »
    I think it’s funny because that word is used like a curse word for dark elves.

It is -

Not in the way she uses it. Of some reason ZOS decided Mirri shall use weird forms of "fetcher" like it was the f-word and she's a pottymouth. It honestly sounds bad and forced. Fetcher hasn't been used in this way before and there exist better words if she was going to be some kind of pottymouth.
    She's like a toddler who has just discovered a new bad word the way she uses it. Constantly.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on April 30, 2022 7:17PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I am not an English major. Though "in" is a specific type of word that can be repeated, like "the". (You also shouldn't put punctuation outside the quote mark, but I do.)

I would just like a version of "That would get a great fetching price" better.

As I noted, not the worst "crime", just noting something in a somewhat humorous vein, but then I need to remind myself humor here is very rough.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Let me mount my mount."

and when you are done riding you can hitch it to the hitching post.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think she deliberately says it that way to be funny/clever.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just a play on words. A joke.

[snip]
    [edited for minor baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 1, 2022 4:20PM
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"