Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Question] Why are some glyphs red and unusable?

Sidney
Sidney
✭✭✭✭
I have two sets of glyphs. Both appear to be unusable which I assume is because all but one of my jewelry items have a small lock icon on them. I was told this means the items enchants cannot be changed. I have one item that does not have a lock on it, and I do not have the option to enchant it. My items are level 15, 16, 19. The blue glyph (which has gold icon) is 5-15. The green glyph with the red icon, is 15-25. Doesn't this mean the items are within the proper range?
  1. What does lock button truly mean?
  2. What does red icon on my enchant/glyph mean?
  3. Do I need to to have skill points in enchanting just to USE them? I thought it was just for crafting.
Edited by Sidney on April 30, 2014 8:35PM
>.<_____/
If you want me to read a post aimed at me, please put @Sidney.
Please give us tail armor and dyeable tail ribbons.
Click Here -->Support Dyeable Tail Ribbons<---
All your mats r belong to Khajiit.
Click Here -->Support Tail Armor<---

Best Answer

• Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭
    eh, glyphs that are red can still be used, but their being red I think is a bug.

For an alt, I made a full set of blue lvl 20 gear & blue lvl 20-30 glyphs. I don't know why, but I didn't enchant them on my main, instead I just put them all in the bank & transferred them to my alt who was lvl 20 at the time.

Every glyph showed up as red. The glyphs showed up as red even after I equipped the armor & weapons. Just so you guys understand.

The glyph says lvl 20-30.
    The item I was wearing was lvl 20.
    My character was lvl 20
    The item I was wearing was not enchanted at all & could be enchanted.
    The glyph showed up as red.
    This is a bug.

OP has the same bug, it is just a display bug, as you can still use the glyphs...but it is a bug. As he said:
    Sidney wrote: »
    My jewelry is 15, 16, 19. My character is 19. The two are not linked. My weapons are 17.

So his character & his items are all between lvl 15 & 25, so there is no reason why the glyph would be red.
    Answer ✓
  • Megaonev1
    Megaonev1
    Soul Shriven
    I believe that the Red Icon is becaue you don't meet all the requirements to use it. If you hover over or click it and it opens the detail box, down at the bottom it might say you need x skill or y requirement, one or both of which will be red meaning you lack that.
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly it doesn't mention any requirements or have a way to open a dialog box. You just hover on it and it shows stats, that's it :(
    >.<_____/
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Megaonev1 wrote: »
    I believe that the Red Icon is becaue you don't meet all the requirements to use it. If you hover over or click it and it opens the detail box, down at the bottom it might say you need x skill or y requirement, one or both of which will be red meaning you lack that.

That's what's shown on rune stones that you craft with, showing the skills required to use them, not on finished runes.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glyphs have a minimum level requirement (shown on the glyph). If your character level is below that requirement, the glyph is displayed as red, like in your screenshot.
    ;-)
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Glyphs have a minimum level requirement (shown on the glyph). If your character level is below that requirement, the glyph is displayed as red, like in your screenshot.
    ;-)

There is no level requirement shown. It just says can only be used on items 15-25 (on the green one).
    NJ9eOc6.png
    >.<_____/
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no level requirement shown. It just says can only be used on items 15-25 (on the green one).
    Last time i checked, that *is* a level requirement ...
    ;-)
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last time i checked, that *is* a level requirement ...
    ;-)

No, those are item level requirements, not character level requirements. As my very first post stated, my item levels are within the range.
    >.<_____/
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if you're below level 15 and you have one of those it'll be red, because you're not high enough level to use it yet (because the minimum level weapon it'll work on is 15). Otherwise I can't imagine why a Jewelry Glyph would be red.

Glyph components, however, have levels, just like other crafting materials. If you only have one point put in the enchanting "create" skill (the lowest skill) then you will only be able to use level one glyph components, just like someone with only one point in Tailoring is restricted to working with jute and rawhide scraps.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's red because you don't have a piece equipped that can use that rune? Like most jewelry in the game is already enchanted and can't be enchanted again, and that's a jewelry glyph.
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if you're below level 15 and you have one of those it'll be red, because you're not high enough level to use it yet (because the minimum level weapon it'll work on is 15). Otherwise I can't imagine why a Jewelry Glyph would be red.

Glyph components, however, have levels, just like other crafting materials. If you only have one point put in the enchanting "create" skill (the lowest skill) then you will only be able to use level one glyph components, just like someone with only one point in Tailoring is restricted to working with jute and rawhide scraps.

Level of item has nothing to do with character level. My jewelry is 15, 16, 19. My character is 19. The two are not linked. My weapons are 17.
    >.<_____/
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, those are item level requirements, not character level requirements. As my very first post stated, my item levels are within the range.
    You are still not getting it. You do not meet the requirement for this glyph, which is why it's shown red.

Your character does not have the necessary skill level to use this glyph. The levels stated on the glyph (15-25) do not match your characters skill level.
    ;-)
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are still not getting it. You do not meet the requirement for this glyph, which is why it's shown red.

Your character does not have the necessary skill level to use this glyph. The levels stated on the glyph (15-25) do not match your characters skill level.
    ;-)

No...According to the glyph, I do meet requirements.
    >.<_____/
  • warlordzeddicusb14_ESO
    warlordzeddicusb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven

;-)

No...According to the glyph, I do meet requirements.

Okay guys: I figured this one out. So, you can still right click the item: enchant, and the glyph will show up if it meets the item requirement. I just attached a 40 glyph to a 40 item even though I am not within the level range for the glyph. The glyph appears red because of my player level, but I'm still able to use it on items it can go on. (I'm leve 39)
    Edited by warlordzeddicusb14_ESO on April 30, 2014 10:35PM
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay. editing post. Are you saying it's red for no reason? I can still use it, but it's basically considered a high level glyph for my level?
    Edited by Sidney on April 30, 2014 10:44PM
    >.<_____/
  • warlordzeddicusb14_ESO
    warlordzeddicusb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Okay. editing post. Are you saying it's red for no reason? I can still use it, but it's basically considered a high level glyph for my level?

I have no idea why it is red. All I know is that if the item is capable of housing the glyph, it will show up when you go to enchant it. Sorry I don't have a reason :/
  • Roboboy2710
    Roboboy2710
    ✭✭
    This has happened to me, but I may be wrong. I think whether it shows up red or not depends on your currently equipped stuff. If all of the jewelry you are wearing is currently enchanted, it will show up red, but can still be used on non-enchanted jewelry of appropriate level, regardless of being red.
    Edited by Roboboy2710 on May 1, 2014 1:16AM
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
  • Stormynature
    Stormynature
    ✭✭✭
    1.) Some jewelry cannot be enchanted regardless of the level of the item being suited to the level range of the glyph i.e. some quest rewards. When you right click on the jewelry piece it will not have the option to enchant it shown as well the item should show a small lock icon.

2.) The glyph that is red means you do not have an item that qualifies for it to be used on i.e. the piece of jewelry you have that does not have a lock icon is outside of the level range of the glyph. I have not checked to see if this will also apply to items you are carrying.

3.) You do not need enchanting skills points to apply glyphs -- only to make them at higher than starter level glyphs.
    A maxed out luggage draught horse should be allowed to carry a wayshrine
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay we have an answer :) Thank you very much all :3
    >.<_____/
  • Roboboy2710
    Roboboy2710
    ✭✭
    Great! Best to put [answered] in the title or something so people with the same question can look here for an answer
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't have to, it does it automatically when we accept an answer :3
    >.<_____/