The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How is the PvP community?

• Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aside from balance and performance. I feel there is a lack of purpose in PVP. Winning the campaign needs to mean more! Maybe greater awards both PVP and PVE related! Maybe buffs or an advantage of some kind in starting the next campaign for the winner!

• Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna wear my rose tinted glasses and say it's great but... It's not. The community still exists but as others have stated it's on the decline, and the toxic stuff that came along has only hardened people's hearts.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not worth coming back imo.
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Nellzer
    Nellzer
    ✭✭✭
    Ya'll makin me sad. What MMO is everyone playing for PvP?
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what happened this time around, but last two times I played Cyrodiil (2 months during No-proc, 2 months during Blackwood) it was a lot more active with multiple keeps being sieged and defended all the time. Now factions are moving around as 40+ member zergs and the defending faction always ignores them to PvDoor something else in return. During primetime the activity picks up a little but so does the lag to the point the game becomes unplayable.

Basically it is just 50% boredom due to nothing happening/PvDoor and 50% frustration due to lag. Gonna take another break since there's not much fun to be had anymore.
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »
    I'm not sure what happened this time around, but last two times I played Cyrodiil (2 months during No-proc, 2 months during Blackwood) it was a lot more active with multiple keeps being sieged and defended all the time. Now factions are moving around as 40+ member zergs and the defending faction always ignores them to PvDoor something else in return. During primetime the activity picks up a little but so does the lag to the point the game becomes unplayable.

Basically it is just 50% boredom due to nothing happening/PvDoor and 50% frustration due to lag. Gonna take another break since there's not much fun to be had anymore.

Other than performance, I think that games like Lost Ark, New World and Elden Ring gave players more incentive and reasons to actually leave. Before that, there weren't many options to choose from so they stuck with ESO. Plus with lockdowns and restrictions ending, people are just playing less. And as others have mentioned when it is actually busy, the game is unplayable so what is even the point?
    Edited by Dem_kitkats1 on March 31, 2022 1:17PM
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main campaign still pop locks at prime time. Its just later and later. I find it pretty frustrating to play - it's not really pvp as much as player vs lag - but ymmv. They keep saying they're going to improve performance. Maybe they will. As soon as a ball group shows up though, I'm watching a slide show

Outside of prime, it's pretty dead. Population's down and it's all tower farmers or little groups of l33t types bunny hopping around cross healing each other while they built up ulti for their 12 seconds of god mode. I slightly wonder who these guys are "1vX"ing because it doesn't look like there's much X right now.

I still go in occasionally but then I'm already here. Sort of. I wouldn't recommend the game to a new player or tell you to come back unless you've already got stuff set up. You could spend a lot of time gearing a toon up and then find there's not much to do with it. It feels like an MMO on the decline. The pvp bit anyway.

If you have got it loaded up and a character that still works though, stick your nose in, see what you think. Nothing to lose. Just don't bother with anything other than the main campaign, and don't go in unless it's got the little padlock item on a cpl of factions. Even 3 bars seems very empty now
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nellzer wrote: »
    There are a few foundational issues that are slowly killing PvP.

First issue is that building for durability and sustain offers *vastly* more return on investment than building for damage.

Right now, someone who can build for durability and sustain can burst down someone who builds for damage, but the reverse is not true.

This is a very serious balance issue, and one of the pillars of tank meta.

Issue number 2 is that healing is ridiculous, both in part because it scales off the same stats damage does, but also because it has zero counterplay.

Combine both issues and the meta becomes a bunch of tanks having slap fights.

This is a fatal problem to have for a number of reasons; Reason one is that new players coming from PvE are usually running damage builds, and they get completely destroyed by players who, from their perspective, are immortal gods. This isn't fun. They don't come back.

Reason two is that tank/heal meta isn't much fun for experienced players either, so they get bored and leave.

Unless these issues are resolved, the upcoming code rework and performance updates *aren't going to matter*; it's like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

This was true when I was playing years ago too, though. High skill duels always took ages. All of the best builds were always built around sustain, as you cannot win a drawn out duel let alone 1vX if you can't sustain long enough to get a kill and reset the fight. I've watched plenty of recent videos, and it doesn't look very different from what I remember.

For new and inexperienced players that get stomped 5v1, that should be inspiration, telling them there is a large skill gap in the game and they have a lot of work to do to get where they want to be. If you don't have that mindset, you aren't really a PvP-minded player to begin with IMO. Competition is what should drive and motivate.

IDK, I guess this all just seems par for the course for how the game has been ever since PvP was at its pique so I don't see it being a reason why it would drive people away.

There is a skill gap, but gear and CP are the main reasons why people can 1vX.
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Displeased.
  • nimotelperion
    nimotelperion
    ✭✭

Reason two is that tank/heal meta isn't much fun for experienced players either, so they get bored and leave.

It's also very discouraging for new and inexperienced players as well, as the vast amount of healing has actually widened the skill gap between new and experienced players. It's not fun when 5-10 inexperienced players can't even take down 1 experienced player because they can simply out tank and out heal any new player and then turn around and kill them in a couple of hits. Who would want to play a PvP game where you can't kill anyone? Because of this the population of the community has a difficult time replacing those who leave.

This is what I've found after coming back to the game after a couple of years out. Initially I wondered whether there was now a way to hack the game because there were some individuals who were basically un-killable. It was when I watched 4 people repeatedly kill groups of 20 or more outside a castle and was told by someone in our group that it wasn't hacking, just whacked game mechanics being used (abused?) by the group of 4.

I know build and skill should come into it and I don't really think skill should or can be changed but the survivability is pretty crazy. I don't really understand why they don't just introduce a hard cap on healing.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main issue with ESO PvP in my opinion is that there is no outlet for competitive PvP players. Once you dedicate enough time to the game you crave competition. Killing PUG’s in Cyro gets boring quickly, the only competitive BG gametype is deathmatch, and dueling has no incentive or matchmaking system and is fun but just a potion burning exercise. I love the game and I want to come back but I can’t picture it when there’s no outlet for competitive PvP.
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played the game in years. Back when I did, there was a very healthy PvP community, I played in the guild Legend where dueling tournaments were held regularly, etc.

Is there still a healthy PvP community here? Seems like the player population as a whole is still very healthy, but I'm solely interested in PvP and wondering if it will still be a fun environment. Thanks!

From what I can tell the PvP community is pretty jaded in general b/c they feel like developers are ignoring their problems and concerns. I'm relatively new to this game (I've returned) as well and I've seen way too much negativity from a variety of people in various places.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played the game in years. Back when I did, there was a very healthy PvP community, I played in the guild Legend where dueling tournaments were held regularly, etc.

Is there still a healthy PvP community here? Seems like the player population as a whole is still very healthy, but I'm solely interested in PvP and wondering if it will still be a fun environment. Thanks!

From what I can tell the PvP community is pretty jaded in general b/c they feel like developers are ignoring their problems and concerns. I'm relatively new to this game (I've returned) as well and I've seen way too much negativity from a variety of people in various places.

How are we jaded when it is a fact that PvP is being neglected? Seems like a valid concern to me.
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

How are we jaded when it is a fact that PvP is being neglected? Seems like a valid concern to me.

Definition: tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something.
    I'd say my term fits. And, I'm not attacking you or anyone with criticism. I'm just using the correct meaning of the word.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definition: tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something.
    I'd say my term fits. And, I'm not attacking you or anyone with criticism. I'm just using the correct meaning of the word.

Pardon my shoddy knowledge of vocabulary, you most certainly used it correctly, I simply did not interpret it properly.
  • Hescrow
    Hescrow
    ✭✭
    I prefer clearly bg than cyro.
    Direct in the action and not waiting to be ganked or attacked otherwise i play moba for same lol.
  • Silversmith
    Silversmith
    ✭✭✭
    There's maybe two hundred people that play in battlegrounds. Maybe not even that much.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only play Ravenwatch (Cyrodiil no CP/Proc) and it seems to me there are the core players of each faction that come on and zerg at specific times/days to get max AP. They are very cliquey and may group up together and be in group chat. But if they don't know you well they won't let you in either. So not very newcomer friendly at all and even elitist most of the time. A lot of them have a very "You're not good enough to play with me" attitude. And I say this as someone who does play enough and is included in those group at least sometimes. Some of the players are way too sweaty and stuck up. They need a serious attitude adjustment. (If your claim to fame in life is that you are elite in ESO PVP, please evaluate your life goals!) But I digress! There are some players who will run around with maybe a buddy trying to prey on players who are brave enough to travel around alone taking resources (like me). A lot of nights it's either get there during the busy time and zerg with the group or you'll be on almost alone in your faction at a time when another alliance is zerging. It's almost like there are planned times when each alliance takes the whole map or at least 70% of it and then they just leave.

That doesn't make for great 1v1 opportunities and there are occasional small group vs. small group fights but those are rare. Oh well, at least there is no stupid hammer or gimmick proc sets. This IMO is the best PVP in this game. I've never played BGs and don't plan to. I have no desire to play with proc sets either. I'd rather win fights only 30% of the time but know that I did it with skill instead of just spam AOE all night. It's hard to sustain in Ravenwatch and it's difficult to get damage high enough to kill others. If you win fights you earned it unless you're zerging down single players or small groups.
    Edited by malistorr on April 29, 2022 9:03PM
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the PvP community in this game is slowing dying off. There's just so many needed changes and fixes that need to be implemented into Cyrodiil that I don't see ever happening and it's sadly driving players away. I've seen so many people I've played with for years just leave PvP altogether for other games or they just focus on PvE. It's a shame because when things are working, ESO has a fantastic PvP system and it can be a lot of fun but it feels like they don't care. Sometimes I think they want the playerbase to dwindle down to nothing
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is this like a wellness test?

I'm okay today, a little tired, but generally feeling happy...

thanks for asking :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Nevidyra
    Nevidyra
    ✭✭✭✭

Legend doesn't host tournaments anymore. The last "big" tournament with all of the top duelists was won by @Cloudrest on PC-NA playing a Magplar for a prize of $150 USD. There hasn't been any since in a couple of months, and before that, there wasn't any for half a year or more. Organized dueling is dead, and Stormhaven has seen a population decrease. Cyrodiil is also either massive zergs or no fights; very little exists in-between.

GvGs don't exist anymore due to the dominance of a certain ballgroup and a smallscale, respectively. 1vX is almost dead due to increased game knowledge amongst pugs and siege spam. BG queues can go for 6-7 minutes.
    -PC/NA/AD-
    CP 1k+

Immortal Redeemer [✅]
    Tick-Tock Tormentor [✅]
    Gryphon Heart [✅]
    Godslayer [WIP]
    Dawnbringer [N/A]

• Danbest82
    Danbest82
    Yasha wrote: »
    The community is awesome, there are lots of great people to meet and awesome fights to have.

Yup! If you are on pcna, I am in an incredible bg guild, home to a ton of the best bg players in the game. We do bg tournaments and events weekly, and have a great atmosphere where veterans help less experienced players.
    I am also in an ad loyal ravenwatch guild, with yasha here, and it is awesome, too.

Hit me up in game if either of these interest you. @gariondavey in game.

Sounds great dude, you guys are AD you said?

Yup, our only rule is don't play in rw on another faction. The guild is "imperium of the eagle" and we do raids every day except Wednesday. 9pm eastern to 1am most nights!

Sorry to Necro a dead thread but does your guild still exist? I'm looking for a ravenwatch AD guild. Thanks!
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Population feels small.

Most ppl are very cool/kind, with a sprinkling of turds.

Only 2 ppl I can think of who are consistently obnoxious in pvp, small-man energy 😏
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good keep fights still happen but they’re usually one sided unless it’s a “strategic” keep, and by one sided I mean 20+v5. Sometimes people will actually come defend and it’s a great time. IMO it so fast to take down a front door most people don’t bother or make it in time to defend.

BGs are fun until you reach a high mmr… then you’re fighting the same people over and over.
    Edited by Udrath on July 15, 2023 10:09PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danbest82 wrote: »
    Yasha wrote: »
    The community is awesome, there are lots of great people to meet and awesome fights to have.

Yup! If you are on pcna, I am in an incredible bg guild, home to a ton of the best bg players in the game. We do bg tournaments and events weekly, and have a great atmosphere where veterans help less experienced players.
    I am also in an ad loyal ravenwatch guild, with yasha here, and it is awesome, too.

Hit me up in game if either of these interest you. @gariondavey in game.

Sounds great dude, you guys are AD you said?

Yup, our only rule is don't play in rw on another faction. The guild is "imperium of the eagle" and we do raids every day except Wednesday. 9pm eastern to 1am most nights!

Sorry to Necro a dead thread but does your guild still exist? I'm looking for a ravenwatch AD guild. Thanks!

@Danbest82 yes, you can apply to it in game in the guild finder!
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Danbest82
    Danbest82
    @gariondavey thanks! I'll see if I can find it. ESO really needs a search function in the guild finder.
  • bachpain
    bachpain
    ✭✭✭✭
    The PVP community that is left is frustrated and confused as to why Zos doesn't give a care.
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The anger boiled over in 2021. Those that are left are waiting for a new MMO and got put off NW. The disrespect towards pvprs has gotten to the point where most of us feel they want us to delete. It's fine to log in and get some fights.
    Edited by merevie on July 19, 2023 8:32AM