The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

How is the PvP community?

Nellzer
Nellzer
✭✭✭
I haven't played the game in years. Back when I did, there was a very healthy PvP community, I played in the guild Legend where dueling tournaments were held regularly, etc.

Is there still a healthy PvP community here? Seems like the player population as a whole is still very healthy, but I'm solely interested in PvP and wondering if it will still be a fun environment. Thanks!
  • Sir_Hammock
    Sir_Hammock
    ✭✭✭
    Nah its basically dead compared to how it was years ago. The lack of updates and performance issues that have only gotten worse (even with a shrinking player base) have made eso pvp a husk of its former self.

You either play during peak hours and suffer horrendous performance or off peak and its basically an empty zone.
    Edited by Sir_Hammock on March 21, 2022 6:09AM
    Options
  • SippingPotions
    SippingPotions
    ✭✭✭
    lol what community?
    Options
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    The community is awesome, there are lots of great people to meet and awesome fights to have.
    Options
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Playstation EU PvP has been dying for a long time and AD is almost dead now. Most players are leaving for other games because of Lags and Bugs.
    Options
  • VarisVaris
    VarisVaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nellzer wrote: »
    I haven't played the game in years. Back when I did, there was a very healthy PvP community, I played in the guild Legend where dueling tournaments were held regularly, etc.

Is there still a healthy PvP community here? Seems like the player population as a whole is still very healthy, but I'm solely interested in PvP and wondering if it will still be a fun environment. Thanks!

The community on Pc EU is absolutely terrible, many respectable old-school PvPers have quit and there has been a rise of new "good" players (mostly console rerolls) trying to fill that gap which they attempt to do by going full tryhardmode, "smallscaling" solo players 6vs1. Bloating their egos by playing magplar, magdk or magnecro while cycling through rapid regen with 4-6 others and dropping harmony bombs with dark convergence.

Just as bad are the zerglings, when you could hope to have fights against 3-4 players who would try to remove you from a resource before they'll wait for 20 people to show up before even attempting to engage a solo player also the amount of healbots and tanks that have only one task to keep everyone alive while not even attempting to get kills has risen significantly.

On top of all that you have the terrible performance and the trash balance this patch.
    Options
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven’t touched eso in months, connection makes it unplayable in cyrodil in the main campaign, especially solo.
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yasha wrote: »
    The community is awesome, there are lots of great people to meet and awesome fights to have.

Yup! If you are on pcna, I am in an incredible bg guild, home to a ton of the best bg players in the game. We do bg tournaments and events weekly, and have a great atmosphere where veterans help less experienced players.
    I am also in an ad loyal ravenwatch guild, with yasha here, and it is awesome, too.

Hit me up in game if either of these interest you. @gariondavey in game.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
    Options
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is much smaller, but it's not bad quality wise. In my opinion.
    Options
  • Nellzer
    Nellzer
    ✭✭✭
    Nah its basically dead compared to how it was years ago. The lack of updates and performance issues that have only gotten worse (even with a shrinking player base) have made eso pvp a husk of its former self.

You either play during peak hours and suffer horrendous performance or off peak and its basically an empty zone.

That’s surprising about the shrinking player base, seems like ESO is still one of the highest populated MMOs out there.

Even back when I played the Cyrodiil lag and desynch was a major problem, didn’t really stop the PvP community though. Figured with BGs that kind of thing would be much less of an issue.

Options
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dying from my last experience mid December and mid January. That was PC NA. I may hop back on PSN NA but I have heard similar from a friend.

Unfortunately ESO seems to be going the route of FF14 PvP, everyone just says it's dying because performance sucks. So even if they do fix it the damage is done and the reputation is soiled.
    Edited by Casul on March 21, 2022 8:50PM
    PvP needs more love.
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pvp community is much smaller than it used to be, but still fiercely dedicated. All factions are poplocked in the main campaign every day at prime time, there are several guilds for dueling and battlegrounds.

I’ve seen people say that the eso pvp community is toxic, but honestly I find it much less so than any other pvp game I’ve played in the last decade, at least on PC. Not sure about console.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • Nellzer
    Nellzer
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    The pvp community is much smaller than it used to be, but still fiercely dedicated. All factions are poplocked in the main campaign every day at prime time, there are several guilds for dueling and battlegrounds.

I’ve seen people say that the eso pvp community is toxic, but honestly I find it much less so than any other pvp game I’ve played in the last decade, at least on PC. Not sure about console.

Yeah I mean I think every PvP community has elements of toxicity in it, it kind of comes with the territory of playing against other players in an online game. Look at games like Dota2 and LoL, climbing ladder in those games is horrendously toxic with intentional feeding, griefing, etc., yet they're some of the most successful PvP games in any genre.

I'm not too worried about the levels of toxicity, when I ask about the community I'm mainly wondering about how active the PvP is. Been missing the good ol' days from years ago and I don't expect it to be the same, but as long as it's active enough to find action, there are dedicated PvP guilds to join that host dueling tournaments, do BGs, cyro etc. then it will be enough for me.
    Options
  • Nellzer
    Nellzer
    ✭✭✭

Yup! If you are on pcna, I am in an incredible bg guild, home to a ton of the best bg players in the game. We do bg tournaments and events weekly, and have a great atmosphere where veterans help less experienced players.
    I am also in an ad loyal ravenwatch guild, with yasha here, and it is awesome, too.

Sounds great dude, you guys are AD you said?
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sounds great dude, you guys are AD you said?

Yup, our only rule is don't play in rw on another faction. The guild is "imperium of the eagle" and we do raids every day except Wednesday. 9pm eastern to 1am most nights!
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
    Options
  • Sir_Hammock
    Sir_Hammock
    ✭✭✭

That’s surprising about the shrinking player base, seems like ESO is still one of the highest populated MMOs out there.

Even back when I played the Cyrodiil lag and desynch was a major problem, didn’t really stop the PvP community though. Figured with BGs that kind of thing would be much less of an issue.

Yeah but the pvp community have gone down quite a lot, at least on pc eu and playstation eu. Mostly because of the bad performance and just that nothing have changed at all in many years, so it have gotten kinda stale. But you can still find fun people to play with and good fights, but it's definitely in a worse state than it was years ago.
    Options
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PvP community is in an abysmal state.

If you were thinking about coming back I highly recommend you don’t. You are so much better off investing time in another game.

If you are here for PvE questing then I would recommend ESO though.
    Options
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved pvp in this game... Due to the low pvp population and lack of dm queue. You end up seeing the same people over and over again. It just got quite boring especially with the lack of pvp updates. I quit and moved on. It was bittersweet, because the good days were truly amazing.
    Options
  • Nellzer
    Nellzer
    ✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

If you were thinking about coming back I highly recommend you don’t. You are so much better off investing time in another game.

Eh, there's just no other interesting MMOs to play. I can't stand gear treadmills, which is why ESO is so appealing. The only other game that does it close is GW2 whose PvP community is almost non-existent.. ESO has got to be in better shape than theirs.

Other than that, every other MMO is just another version of a gear treadmill/daily chore list to do every time you login. No thanks.
    Options
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eh, there's just no other interesting MMOs to play. I can't stand gear treadmills, which is why ESO is so appealing. The only other game that does it close is GW2 whose PvP community is almost non-existent.. ESO has got to be in better shape than theirs.

Other than that, every other MMO is just another version of a gear treadmill/daily chore list to do every time you login. No thanks.
    But why force yourself to choose an MMO in particular? PvP-wise this game sucks so I’m giving you the heads up.

Best thing I can say is that after this most recent Patch (Update 33 - Ascending Tide) there has been more negative feedback towards the game than I have ever seen and I’ve been following ESO since the start. Account-wide achievements was implemented in a destructive way and there are a plethora of new performance issues and bugs.

I hope you’re able to have a fun experience but this is a “low point” for ESO atm :/
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slight tangent: depending on how many years you’ve been gone, the Lancers will be new for you.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.

Loremaster’s Archive open for questions!
    Options
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turnover is high enough that you just don’t have that many veteran players playing anymore. Overall the pvp community isn’t really as big as it was and with the floor to ceiling player gap being as big as it is, very few new players stick around for all that long.

So even in game guilds and communities don’t stick around too long. I’ve been playing since July of 2014 and every single guild and every pvp friend I’ve ever made has left faster than I’ve made them. Now I just play solo and still see other guilds and players drop off all the time.
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tiphis wrote: »
    Turnover is high enough that you just don’t have that many veteran players playing anymore. Overall the pvp community isn’t really as big as it was and with the floor to ceiling player gap being as big as it is, very few new players stick around for all that long.

So even in game guilds and communities don’t stick around too long. I’ve been playing since July of 2014 and every single guild and every pvp friend I’ve ever made has left faster than I’ve made them. Now I just play solo and still see other guilds and players drop off all the time.

I'm playing with many of the same people for the last 4.5 years.

You just need to meet the right folks!
    Options
  • Nellzer
    Nellzer
    ✭✭✭

But why force yourself to choose an MMO in particular? PvP-wise this game sucks so I’m giving you the heads up.

Best thing I can say is that after this most recent Patch (Update 33 - Ascending Tide) there has been more negative feedback towards the game than I have ever seen and I’ve been following ESO since the start. Account-wide achievements was implemented in a destructive way and there are a plethora of new performance issues and bugs.

I hope you’re able to have a fun experience but this is a “low point” for ESO atm :/

It’s not that I’m forcing anything, I just really like ESO’s combat even though many don’t. I like the progression in the game also. Like I said, I really dislike gear treadmills, and I think ESO strikes a great balance with no gear score hiking but constant new sets to chase and builds to experiment with. I can’t find another game like it other than GW2, which doesn’t have the itemization ESO does, and like I said their PvP community is even smaller.

If there was another game that had a similar progression style I’d be all for it, unfortunately I just don’t think it exists.
    Options
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bored
    Options
  • Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know people have been saying that PvP is dead for a long time now to the point where it's like The Boy Who Cried Wolf, but I really think that the PvP community is at an all time low in terms of population (and morale).

If you were in Legend, I would assume you are looking for more of a competitive scene. Unfortunately, this is the most dead community of them all. Most competitive/ serious PvPers have moved on. The solo/ smallscale/ dueling scene is almost nonexistent and even if you do find competitive PvPers, the game is in absolutely no shape for competitive PvP.
    Options
  • Supershutze
    Supershutze
    ✭✭
    There are a few foundational issues that are slowly killing PvP.

First issue is that building for durability and sustain offers *vastly* more return on investment than building for damage.

Right now, someone who can build for durability and sustain can burst down someone who builds for damage, but the reverse is not true.

This is a very serious balance issue, and one of the pillars of tank meta.

Issue number 2 is that healing is ridiculous, both in part because it scales off the same stats damage does, but also because it has zero counterplay.

Combine both issues and the meta becomes a bunch of tanks having slap fights.

This is a fatal problem to have for a number of reasons; Reason one is that new players coming from PvE are usually running damage builds, and they get completely destroyed by players who, from their perspective, are immortal gods. This isn't fun. They don't come back.

Reason two is that tank/heal meta isn't much fun for experienced players either, so they get bored and leave.

Unless these issues are resolved, the upcoming code rework and performance updates *aren't going to matter*; it's like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.
    Edited by Supershutze on March 28, 2022 7:12AM
    Options
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭

Reason two is that tank/heal meta isn't much fun for experienced players either, so they get bored and leave.

It's also very discouraging for new and inexperienced players as well, as the vast amount of healing has actually widened the skill gap between new and experienced players. It's not fun when 5-10 inexperienced players can't even take down 1 experienced player because they can simply out tank and out heal any new player and then turn around and kill them in a couple of hits. Who would want to play a PvP game where you can't kill anyone? Because of this the population of the community has a difficult time replacing those who leave.
    Edited by Dem_kitkats1 on March 28, 2022 8:52PM
    Options
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, if you like RvR pvp the only real choices are GW2 and ESO. Both games have their pros and cons, but I have found a great community of people to play with and against in ESO which is probably one of the main reasons I stick around.
    Options
  • Nellzer
    Nellzer
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few foundational issues that are slowly killing PvP.

First issue is that building for durability and sustain offers *vastly* more return on investment than building for damage.

Right now, someone who can build for durability and sustain can burst down someone who builds for damage, but the reverse is not true.

This is a very serious balance issue, and one of the pillars of tank meta.

Issue number 2 is that healing is ridiculous, both in part because it scales off the same stats damage does, but also because it has zero counterplay.

Combine both issues and the meta becomes a bunch of tanks having slap fights.

This is a fatal problem to have for a number of reasons; Reason one is that new players coming from PvE are usually running damage builds, and they get completely destroyed by players who, from their perspective, are immortal gods. This isn't fun. They don't come back.

Unless these issues are resolved, the upcoming code rework and performance updates *aren't going to matter*; it's like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

This was true when I was playing years ago too, though. High skill duels always took ages. All of the best builds were always built around sustain, as you cannot win a drawn out duel let alone 1vX if you can't sustain long enough to get a kill and reset the fight. I've watched plenty of recent videos, and it doesn't look very different from what I remember.

For new and inexperienced players that get stomped 5v1, that should be inspiration, telling them there is a large skill gap in the game and they have a lot of work to do to get where they want to be. If you don't have that mindset, you aren't really a PvP-minded player to begin with IMO. Competition is what should drive and motivate.

IDK, I guess this all just seems par for the course for how the game has been ever since PvP was at its pique so I don't see it being a reason why it would drive people away.
    Options
  • Dorkener
    Dorkener
    ✭✭✭
    Stale meta and inflation made me unsub after 6 years. (Also some classes are clearly superior to the rest atm.)
    Yeah let me blow half a mil on tri-glyphs alone to test a new build... cba anymore.
    Options