The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New account ask for code or buy game

madman65
madman65
✭✭✭✭
Just created a new account, tried to start the free play then was sent to login. After I logged into my account online, was only given 2 options redeem code or buy the game.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on April 21, 2022 8:49PM
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is also an option to “skip.” It is suggesting to buy the latest expansion.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I go to the website that is explaining the play for free, I click on the link and the I have to log into my new account. All I see is redeem or buy.
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to create an account from the free trial link, you can't create an account and add free trial to it. At least that's what I heard last time from a friend I recommended the free trial too.

Free trials are permanent, so once a free trial account has a free trial on it, it can participate in future free trials.
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someone in guild just said the free play is only available on steam. Not sure if this is true at all, just thought I’d share.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pevey wrote: »
    Someone in guild just said the free play is only available on steam. Not sure if this is true at all, just thought I’d share.

This does not appear to be true, based on the fact that I logged into a free account on PC-NA today and have never owned or logged into ESO through Steam.
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    madman65 wrote: »
    Just created a new account, tried to start the free play then was sent to login. After I logged into my account online, was only given 2 options redeem code or buy the game.

You *have* to use the free trial link on the home page to create the account, ran into the same issue myself a long time back. You can't just create an account. I am guessing you didn't use the link? Also, from past experience, the email you used for that account is now burned, you can't use it for a free account any longer, you will need to create another new email.

On a final note, if using Gmail for email and if you are trying to create 9 accounts to have your own guild for storage, Gmail has a limit and you can't create 9 accounts with the same phone or backup email attached to it.

And then sometimes, the free account thing just fails regardless, so just toss that attempt and start over.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gaeliannas wrote: »
    madman65 wrote: »

You *have* to use the free trial link on the home page to create the account, ran into the same issue myself a long time back. You can't just create an account. I am guessing you didn't use the link? Also, from past experience, the email you used for that account is now burned, you can't use it for a free account any longer, you will need to create another new email.

On a final note, if using Gmail for email and if you are trying to create 9 accounts to have your own guild for storage, Gmail has a limit and you can't create 9 accounts with the same phone or backup email attached to it.

And then sometimes, the free account thing just fails regardless, so just toss that attempt and start over.

If people are trying to create a guild bank with 9 free accounts, they should also be aware that ZOS has a history (since at least 2016) of closing those and cutting off access without returning the contents, as it runs counter to their intentions for free accounts. Players can’t safely assume they’ll be able to keep access to such banks.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @madman65

Have you been able to create an account and participate in the free to play event?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    No so I stopped trying even after suggestions and following website, Thanks.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @madman65

For this issue you are welcome to start a ticket with customer support so they can check on your account.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post