The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What counts as a player kill?

DigiAngel
DigiAngel
✭✭✭✭✭
Topic. Sounds easy, doesn't seem to be ;) So...1 vs 1 sure....you kill um and ya makes sense. However.....over the weekend I played my healer in a group, which is a lot of fun. I recall blasting crystals into mobs...I know I targeted and assisted at least in killing several...but my quest of kill 40 players never went past 0. So...what constitutes a kill...100% damage? 50%?
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I think the Kill 40 players quest is an odd one. The kill 20 players or 20 of a certain class work with group kills.

Not 100% sure on the 40 players one. But it does seem a bit buggy within a group. I know the kill 20 ones will count even if you didn't damage the other player but your group killed them and you are close by. But the 40 will not work that way. The 40 one is definitely better to do solo, where all you need to do at that point is do damage to an enemy and be close to them when they die for it to count.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helpful..thank you!
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    So, I think the Kill 40 players quest is an odd one. The kill 20 players or 20 of a certain class work with group kills.

Not 100% sure on the 40 players one. But it does seem a bit buggy within a group. I know the kill 20 ones will count even if you didn't damage the other player but your group killed them and you are close by. But the 40 will not work that way. The 40 one is definitely better to do solo, where all you need to do at that point is do damage to an enemy and be close to them when they die for it to count.

I can confirm this. I think if you're in a group you can still advance the 40 kills quest, but only if you get last hit on an enemy. It's definitely much easier to finish that quest if you're not in a group.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback all!
  • Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you damage someone, and they eventually die, that will count as a kill in my experience. :D I could be on the other side of the map and still get credit for killing a Warden I hit a minute ago.

...and actual killing blows count too lol
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are running solo nearly every player you get any damage on will count toward the kill 40 player quest. For a decent solo player they can go to a couple fights and finish this quest in 15 minutes fairly easy.

It functions much differently when you are in a group though. When in a group it's much harder to get credit for your kills, and it seems like you have to do about 50% of the total damage or get the killing blow for it to count toward the quest. I'm not sure the criteria, but I'm sure lag plays a big role in the count.
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    Topic. Sounds easy, doesn't seem to be ;) So...1 vs 1 sure....you kill um and ya makes sense. However.....over the weekend I played my healer in a group, which is a lot of fun. I recall blasting crystals into mobs...I know I targeted and assisted at least in killing several...but my quest of kill 40 players never went past 0. So...what constitutes a kill...100% damage? 50%?

If you are in a full group, you need to be the main DPS to progress it with killing blows. It seems in a group of 8 or less though, pretty much tagging any player that dies seems to count. Basically, never take the quest in a full group. Even as a DPS when I wasn't doing as much damage or on executes in a full group, I never progressed it, the harmony bomber guy completed it in mere minutes though, even though I had done a bunch of the damage also, he just gt all the KB's.
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40 kill seems buggy to me. I've had moments in a group where my KillCounter would show 12 killing blows and I still got 3/40 on my quest. I know KillCounter doesn't always 'agree' with the game on who got the last hit, but when I solo kill someone and the quest doesn't update, I don't know what else to do. :D
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50