Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Should you be able to pack up a forward camp?

gariondavey
gariondavey
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Often the cost of buying one of these is more than the AP earned at a keep take/defense.
PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden

Should you be able to pack up a forward camp? 32 votes

Yes (why?)
43%
acastanza_ESOdeleted221205-002626ValarMorghulis1896meekeyceeMetemsycosisgeonsocalCatagamiAzrael001StamPlar_1976OBJnoobM0R_GaminggariondaveydeejayveeHoghorn 14 votes
No (why?)
56%
wenchmore420b14_ESODrSlaughtrKartalinNemeliomMinnoOberon45NordSwordnBoardDrdeath20WernaertTommy_The_GunStarlight_KnightcolossalvoidsWyrd88QräherbfrgspAmotticaTechMaybeHicCuddlypuff 18 votes
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (why?)
    Making it cost less is another option... But I like the idea of being able to pack it up. Specially since it just looks like a pop up tent.
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was confused the first time I put one down and couldn’t pick it back up like every other siege device, so I wouldn’t object. On the flip side being unpackable seems to be the only reason it stacks when almost nothing else does.

I guess what I’m saying is, ‘find a workable way to make all siege stack first.’
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes (why?)
    I was confused the first time I put one down and couldn’t pick it back up like every other siege device, so I wouldn’t object. On the flip side being unpackable seems to be the only reason it stacks when almost nothing else does.

I guess what I’m saying is, ‘find a workable way to make all siege stack first.’

The issue is the health of the object. I'm all for stackable siege but I don't think that would work unless they are at 100 percent health.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The issue is the health of the object. I'm all for stackable siege but I don't think that would work unless they are at 100 percent health.

I’m aware, and personally I’d be fine with only the full health siege stacking. But right now I’ve got a couple dozen siege weapons left over from the last Mayhem taking up inventory space, and I’d like to be able to store other things in those slots.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes (why?)

I’m aware, and personally I’d be fine with only the full health siege stacking. But right now I’ve got a couple dozen siege weapons left over from the last Mayhem taking up inventory space, and I’d like to be able to store other things in those slots.

Yes I feel the same way. As per this poll, are you not in agreement then?
    Options
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)
    No, because they offer a big benefit, so they need a drawback besides the piddly 20k AP cost. They also would no longer stack if you could pick them up.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes (why?)
    No, because they offer a big benefit, so they need a drawback besides the piddly 20k AP cost. They also would no longer stack if you could pick them up.

My point is if you use one at each major offensive or defensive battle, it is unsustainable.
    This is not true for repairs, rams, ballistas, meatbags, oils, etc.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)

My point is if you use one at each major offensive or defensive battle, it is unsustainable.

And that seems to be the idea in the design. Though with many players involved it can be sustained pretty well as I have seen multiple camps put up, one after another, at the same keep battle.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)
    I voted no, because id rather see the camp be present in the world as an objective you must take.
    The game also doesnt punish dying enough as well and respawns locations/timers are too static.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)
    This may be very controversial opinion, but camps in general are very harmful for the PvP experience and imho should be disabled.

Think of how it would look like if there was no camps at all. Fights would be shorter, there would be significant risk/reward involved (failed push inside the keep or push out to break the siege). Also you would not have this much issues with ball groups as even them would have be more careful - usually when they are wiped one or two breaks from the group to put a camp and you have to deal with them over & over again. There is simply no reward for beating such a hard & dangerous foe.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on March 31, 2022 2:07PM
    Options
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)

But that's exactly the point. You shouldn't have the potential for unlimited camps. There are other players. The burden should be spread out. If no one wants to slot them, then that's a weakness of the faction/group, a weakness that the opposition will take advantage of.
    Options
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (why?)
    While I am of the "No" camp, I voted yes as I'd love to see something like where you can pick it up, but it's a unique item so you can only have 1 in your inv at a time.
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
    Options
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)
    M0R_Gaming wrote: »
    While I am of the "No" camp, I voted yes as I'd love to see something like where you can pick it up, but it's a unique item so you can only have 1 in your inv at a time.

That would suck if your camp was torched and you couldn't put anymore down until end of combat.
    Options
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (why?)

That would suck if your camp was torched and you couldn't put anymore down until end of combat.

I feel like it would probably help a bunch for making camps more valuable. As is rn, a whole bunch of groups will go and place a camp if even a single player in their team dies, whereas this would make it so that you need to decide to be strategic with your camp placement.
    Idk, it probably has some logistics issues in it, and may not be the best solution, but it would definitely change how camps are treated.
    My addons
    Options
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)

I feel like it would probably help a bunch for making camps more valuable. As is rn, a whole bunch of groups will go and place a camp if even a single player in their team dies[\b], whereas this would make it so that you need to decide to be strategic with your camp placement.
    Idk, it probably has some logistics issues in it, and may not be the best solution, but it would definitely change how camps are treated.

That's kind of the point of camps. Put down as many as you want. It's then up to the enemy team to find them.

Meanwhile the defending team can infinitely respawn until flagged, and then can use a camp that can't be destroyed until the door comes down. So then that person just picks their camp up, having it never be in danger.
    Options
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (why?)

I feel like it would probably help a bunch for making camps more valuable. As is rn, a whole bunch of groups will go and place a camp if even a single player in their team dies[\b], whereas this would make it so that you need to decide to be strategic with your camp placement.

That's kind of the point of camps. Put down as many as you want. It's then up to the enemy team to find them.

Meanwhile the defending team can infinitely respawn until flagged, and then can use a camp that can't be destroyed until the door comes down. So then that person just picks their camp up, having it never be in danger.

Ya, I see your point there. In that case, ya, I agree that you shouldn't be able to pick up a camp after it goes down.
    My addons
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes (why?)

I think you are forgetting the 5 minute spawn timer at a camp.
    Options
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)

No I didn't.

Let's say I'm defending the a keep with my group.

Until it's flagged I have infinite respawns which is a massive advantage over the defenders. They can put camps all around the keep but, as you point out, there's a timer.

Now you've flagged the keep and people are spawning at my camp. We can make one big push and spawn at the camp.

I then pack the camp up before the door drops, run out back and put it down outside the wall, tucked under so you can't see it easily.

That's a huge advantage over what you have now.

That same camp I put down on inner is up until the enemies burn it. That means I can't put another one down the moment the wall drops because you can't overlap camps that close together. That means it's very likely that once it is burned I will be tied up in combat, unable to go put another one up.

It's all a balance.
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes (why?)
    Hmm I see what you are saying. But when groups break into a keep the first thing they do is search out the FC and burn it
    Options
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)
    Hmm I see what you are saying. But when groups break into a keep the first thing they do is search out the FC and burn it

Sometimes. Sometimes not. Sometimes attackers run straight for the dance floor. Draw distance isn't always going to show a camp on the back towers from the outside door. Sometimes people are just lazy.
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes (why?)

Sometimes. Sometimes not. Sometimes attackers run straight for the dance floor. Draw distance isn't always going to show a camp on the back towers from the outside door. Sometimes people are just lazy.

That's not my observation. Almost every big fight, the organized groups we fight search out our FC and we do the same to them.
    Options
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)
    There would just be 3 troll camps near each faction's gates preventing further deployment.
    Options
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes (why?)
    I would like to be able to but Idk if I should. i mean I can repair it like siege why not pick it up like siege? only speaking for when I play solo.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
    Options
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes (why?)

No I didn't.

Until it's flagged I have infinite respawns which is a massive advantage over the defenders. They can put camps all around the keep but, as you point out, there's a timer.

Now you've flagged the keep and people are spawning at my camp. We can make one big push and spawn at the camp.

I then pack the camp up before the door drops, run out back and put it down outside the wall, tucked under so you can't see it easily.

That same camp I put down on inner is up until the enemies burn it. That means I can't put another one down the moment the wall drops because you can't overlap camps that close together. That means it's very likely that once it is burned I will be tied up in combat, unable to go put another one up.

It's all a balance.

when I'm in a zerg i look both inside and outside a keep. i would assign this task to a NB with shade slotted so they don't lose too much time with the group
    Edited by Metemsycosis on April 1, 2022 1:24AM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
    Options
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)

No I didn't.

It's all a balance.

when I'm in a zerg i look both inside and outside a keep. i would assign this task to a NB with shade slotted so they don't lose too much time with the group

That's good. But you are one sample out of many. I've seen friendly camps sit on back towers for an entire siege. Or at worst one NB comes to burn it and gets mowed down.
    Options
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)
    You really think they would be able to make it so you could pack the thing away while other players simultaneously spawn there without one (or all) of you getting stuck in some kind of animation loop limbo?

Forward camps should be significantly cheaper, but players should also be less stingy. I've seen people moan about the costs of them then you watch their streams and they're sitting on 67mn of unspent AP. What are you saving up for? Are you building a treefort out of nothing but decoy elder scrolls in your house?
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No (why?)
    I'll actually go further and say forward camps should cost more.

They were disabled for a good chunk of time at one point because of how powerful they are. It is meant to be a decision to commit one for the area with the higher cost, the same way keep recall stones were as you would think twice about instantly getting to a keep under attack. Camps are almost opposite in that it allows attackers to continue the attack.

As it is now; there are groups that literally just have a character left hidden in the wild to drop camps deep in enemy territory and do nothing but wait until it's clear to drop a camp as 20k AP is not what it once was. If they could also just rez and pack up as to probably never be detected; it becomes completely pointless to have it cost much at all.
    Options
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)
    The use of tents would increase 10x if this happened. Meaning that every fight would have 5 tents around it because hey, you can take it back if you didn't ended up needing it.
    If this happens, there would be a way to win battle, because every one would keep coming back in an Instant.
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes (why?)
    @Nemeliom it seems you are forgetting the 5 min spawn timer on camps.

"20k AP isn't what it once was"

What? Lol. There are fewer people in cyro now due to the population cap decreasing over and over again. I remember fights with hundreds of people involved on each side. They resulted in more AP than ones now with 50 a side or whatever.
    Options
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    No (why?)
    @Nemeliom it seems you are forgetting the 5 min spawn timer on camps.

"20k AP isn't what it once was"

What? Lol. There are fewer people in cyro now due to the population cap decreasing over and over again. I remember fights with hundreds of people involved on each side. They resulted in more AP than ones now with 50 a side or whatever.

You are right 🤔
    I forgot about the spawn timer.
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
    Options