The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Should I NOT log into my main character?

Deter1UK
Deter1UK
✭✭✭✭✭
My daughter has recently stared playing ESO and is loving it. She has Autism and I have started a new character so that I can accompany her on her journey.

If I DO NOT log into my main (who has done all the quests etc) will that ensure that all quests remain available in all the zones please?

Best Answers

• Kelinmiriel
    Kelinmiriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    That certainly should work, and keep your quests free from all the new AwA-related issues until they've had a chance to iron them out. It's what I would do in your circumstances.

(For my circumstances, I'm going to be signing in to ONLY my main, and my low-level RP character who just started a couple months ago, doing zone quests with some guildies who are doing the same, will probably be taking a break for a while. The rest of my characters, in the middle, are on indefinite hiatus.)

I wish you and your daughter the best, and hope the quest bugs get squashed quickly!
    Event Tracker addon (PC NA/EU)
    Helps you keep track of your Event Tickets, so you don't miss any. Double XP on events is PASSIVE now!!
    Answer ✓
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Correct, don't log into your older characters if you want clean maps and the new character experience. I'm sure there will be a lot of feedback with details after it is released.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
    Answer ✓
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The short answer is that we don't know. Nothing is due to change on the Live PC servers until March 14 (later on console) and we don't yet know what the final implementation will be at that time.

However, you also need to consider the effect of subsidiary characters logging into the Live server at that time on your main, if that is the character you have done all your achievements on.

I hope first and foremost that ZOS will see sense and delay this change to a later update when they have had a chance to rethink it and sort out the impact on quests and NPC dialogues etc, and second that when they do launch the change -especially if it is in its present form or anything like it - that they issue a clear and transparent article to all players - i.e. not just in the patch notes that few read but linked from a pop-up announcement on the launcher - offering guidance on the practical effects of the sequence in which you log in, or keep out, your various characters. If nothing else, that would be strongly in the interests of the Customer Support staff who handle tickets because otherwise they are going to be totally swamped!
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That certainly should work, and keep your quests free from all the new AwA-related issues until they've had a chance to iron them out. It's what I would do in your circumstances.

(For my circumstances, I'm going to be signing in to ONLY my main, and my low-level RP character who just started a couple months ago, doing zone quests with some guildies who are doing the same, will probably be taking a break for a while. The rest of my characters, in the middle, are on indefinite hiatus.)

I wish you and your daughter the best, and hope the quest bugs get squashed quickly!

Thank you for your response and your good wishes

That will be my strategy for now, damn nuisance though as my main is also my main crafter and the character I use to explore new regions first.

TBH achievements as such are not that important to me but having NPCs speak the 'wrong' lines or quests being 'complete' when a character has not done them is a very poor outlook.

Thanks again
    D
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Deter1UK wrote: »

Thank you for your response and your good wishes

That will be my strategy for now, damn nuisance though as my main is also my main crafter and the character I use to explore new regions first.

TBH achievements as such are not that important to me but having NPCs speak the 'wrong' lines or quests being 'complete' when a character has not done them is a very poor outlook.

Thanks again
    D

It's a terrible shame you have to even think about things like this just to have the game world be coherent for your style of play. We shouldn't even have to worry about NPCs speaking the wrong lines to our alts, or being locked out of quests we did on another toon. This is not how games with multiple characters should be managed. I'm sorry you have to go through this. I won't be logging into any of my characters either except my level 3 toon to run my guild and simply chit chat with them, no questing, no crafting, no dungeoneering, no trials, nothing. That way I can still pretend the world of Tamriel makes sense.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like some of these things should be tracked per character even if the overall progress is account wide, but I actually like the fact that I won't have to worry which character I am playing with.

I get why it would be an issue for situations where 2 people are sharing an account. I actually ended up creating a new account for my Daughter when she started playing so she could get everything (including CP progress) on her own. She also liked the character creation progress as much as the game itself, so that also let her create and delete characters as much as she wanted.
    Playing since beta...
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My heart breaks that this even has to be a consideration for the OP :cry:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    My heart breaks that this even has to be a consideration for the OP :cry:

It is truly terrible that players are having to try to work out ways to deal with or circumvent this awful implementation.

Thus far, I'm still leaning heavily on quitting; certainly not intending paying any more for this 'broken' product.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably should rename this thread to read pre-"ides of March" update.

Anything after will be pretty much meaningless. :(
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's something here that eludes me.
    My main in EU (and currently on PTS) has Caldwell's Gold and has gone thorough all the secondary quests in DC and Craglorn.
    Another, younger toon of mine has done nothing of the sort yet (she is DC also).
    Now, on PTS, I went to Craglorn with this younger toon, and the man near the cart spoke to me his usual way, and the quest went on as usual too, no inconsistencies.
    More: I went to Glenumbra and there were no problems in starting the quests of the swineherd robbed and that from Giblets the dog, which, if I well remember, is the zone quest. NPCs said nothing strange nor out of time.

What does this mean? Is AWA not yet fully implemented on PTS? No for sure, as the achievements in the journal have been uniformed across all toons.
    Maybe, and I really hope so, that things are less dire than we fear, and that the inconsistencies that others have noticed, will be corrected in the future like some famous graphic glitches, like the barrel tap flying in the air near the market in Stros.

By the way, all shards, delves and locations appear correctly on my map, white if the toon has done/discovered them, black otherwise (I use Map Pin).

@Deter1UK

AFAIK, if your daughter has her toon, and you have yours, and both of you play on different machines with different accounts, there should be no problem at all for her in obtaining any quest, even if you are with your experienced main.
    I'm not dead sure about it, but if I well remember, multiplayer accountwide is not a feature of current ESO, so what I said above is the only way not to violate TOS (again, I may be wrong, if so, please let me know).
    Occasional preposterous NPC dialogue you may explain as referred to your older toon, if this is of concern for you.

All the best to you and your family :)
    Edited by fiender66 on March 5, 2022 6:48PM
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fiender66 wrote: »
    There's something here that eludes me.
    My main in EU (and currently on PTS) has Caldwell's Gold and has gone thorough all the secondary quests in DC and Craglorn.
    Another, younger toon of mine has done nothing of the sort yet (she is DC also).
    Now, on PTS, I went to Craglorn with this younger toon, and the man near the cart spoke to me his usual way, and the quest went on as usual too, no inconsistencies.
    More: I went to Glenumbra and there were no problems in starting the quests of the swineherd robbed and that from Giblets the dog, which, if I well remember, is the zone quest. NPCs said nothing strange nor out of time.

What does this mean? Is AWA not yet fully implemented on PTS? No for sure, as the achievements in the journal have been uniformed across all toons.
    Maybe, and I really hope so, that things are less dire than we fear, and that the inconsistencies that others have noticed, will be corrected in the future like some famous graphic glitches, like the barrel tap flying in the air near the market in Stros.

By the way, all shards, delves and locations appear correctly on my map, white if the toon has done/discovered them, black otherwise (I use Map Pin).

@Deter1UK

AFAIK, if your daughter has her toon, and you have yours, and both of you play on different machines with different accounts, there should be no problem at all for her in obtaining any quest, even if you are with your experienced main.
    I'm not dead sure about it, but if I well remember, multiplayer accountwide is not a feature of current ESO, so what I said above is the only way not to violate TOS (again, I may be wrong, if so, please let me know).
    Occasional preposterous NPC dialogue you may explain as referred to your older toon, if this is of concern for you.

Main story quests seem not to be effected as they are tied to a hidden quest completion journal (except for two princess lapdancing on Rimmen throne), but the immersion problems that were found were not addressed in the patch notes, not addressed in the Q&A, and we don't know how many things are actually broken because there are only so many people testing on PTS. While the couple places you mentioned might be fine, it would be interesting if you could visit all the different locales in Glenumbra and Craglorn with your toon that you didn't do those zones on to see if anything is happening in other places, not just main cities or with main quest givers. How do random NPCs speak among themselves about world events, what dialogue choices are you getting and do they match your current character or your achievements, and are any side quests locked out from you because an older toon did them? Just read the AwA bug reports thread to see what has been found so far. I'm hoping they are fixing the world incoherence and immersion breaking bugs, but there has been no communication about it, which has only driven up the outrage and fear that this is how they intend things to be. Had there been any communication in any form, they might reduce the speculation and the escalating fear and dread of this. Since it has not been addressed, we fear the bugs are not being fixed, and speculate they are seen as not a priority.

Edited by Kesstryl on March 6, 2022 3:10AM
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    Correct, don't log into your older characters if you want clean maps and the new character experience. I'm sure there will be a lot of feedback with details after it is released.

Still I do not understand.
    On PTS my maps are correct according to the character logged (shards black if not discovered, delves not visited black too, etc).
    I have to admit that I don't care too much to repeat quests, once done by my main (all of them everywhere actually), but this OFC may not apply to everyone, as I well realise. Also, I do not enjoy PVP and never go to Cyrodiil, so my bug experience (and my achievement needs) are limited.

I am going to create a new char on PTS, just to see if her maps are what expected (that is: all black and most shard not accessible). I have already logged on all my old chars.

Update: Done. New char's maps are correct (i.e. unexplored) everywhere. The only anomaly I noticed was that all DLC maps since Wrothgar (Blackwood excluded) do not react to Map Pin and show only the initial shard (as usual on PTS) and, strange enough, the lore books locations. Again, everywhere else maps are regular. Needles to say, the achievements in journal have been extended.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    All quests should be available to any new character regardless of how many of your characters have done those same quests before. It is merely the achievements related to those quests, and probably the zone guide completion.

Heck, many of those quests reward skill points which is why this would not effect quests themselves.
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Deter1UK

Thank you :smile:

She has her own account on her own machine. None of this will affect her at all at the moment as she has only one character.

I have rolled a fresh alt to group with her and did not want to miss anything myself hence the question. I'm 3/4 of the way through the base/mages/fighters/zone quests in order to get the alt to 50 and we have done Blackwood and most of Psijic Staff together. My Main has done everything (more or less)
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Still I do not understand.
    On PTS my maps are correct according to the character logged (shards black if not discovered, delves not visited black too, etc).
    I have to admit that I don't care too much to repeat quests, once done by my main (all of them everywhere actually), but this OFC may not apply to everyone, as I well realise. Also, I do not enjoy PVP and never go to Cyrodiil, so my bug experience (and my achievement needs) are limited.

I am going to create a new char on PTS, just to see if her maps are what expected (that is: all black and most shard not accessible). I have already logged on all my old chars.

Update: Done. New char's maps are correct (i.e. unexplored) everywhere. The only anomaly I noticed was that all DLC maps since Wrothgar (Blackwood excluded) do not react to Map Pin and show only the initial shard (as usual on PTS) and, strange enough, the lore books locations. Again, everywhere else maps are regular. Needles to say, the achievements in journal have been extended.

There are some comments with details about maps in the bug forum and the feedback forum, here is one: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7534841/#Comment_7534841

The maps do indeed reflect that a new character has not discovered things and when the character rides up to a wayshrine for the first time a pop-up will appear saying X wayshrine discovered and that wayshrine will be marked thusly on the map.

The problem has to do with achievements. If a new character discovers points on a map such as a world boss, or a delve, or a dolman type event and if another character has completed the achievement for the point on the map, that point will be marked as completed upon discovery even though the character that just discovered it did not complete the point on the map.

-->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem has to do with achievements. If a new character discovers points on a map such as a world boss, or a delve, or a dolman type event and if another character has completed the achievement for the point on the map, that point will be marked as completed upon discovery even though the character that just discovered it did not complete the point on the map.

Again, this is not what *I* am experiencing on PTS. Delves and dolmens and WB's are correctly shown for my toons that have not done them yet. The only difference I have encountered is in the journal, section Achievements.

I'm not saying that there are no glitches, only that I have not encountered them, and I use PTS more or less every day to test new builds, especially in different publics across Tamriel, and in Craglorn and Morrowind.

As for the bizarre map behaviour I spoke about in my preceding post, the problem has been solved by updating Map Pins. There was a new version I was not aware of.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭

Again, this is not what *I* am experiencing on PTS. Delves and dolmens and WB's are correctly shown for my toons that have not done them yet. The only difference I have encountered is in the journal, section Achievements.

I'm not saying that there are no glitches, only that I have not encountered them, and I use PTS more or less every day to test new builds, especially in different publics across Tamriel, and in Craglorn and Morrowind.

As for the bizarre map behaviour I spoke about in my preceding post, the problem has been solved by updating Map Pins. There was a new version I was not aware of.

After a bit of experimenting, I have sorted out, at least in great part, what happens to the map.

1. The spots bound to quests are shown correctly, with or without Map Pins: black when not sorted, white once relative quest(s) have been done.
    2.This holds also for stones, forger, etc.
    3. The legend to the left of the map's image always tells the overall situation of "achievements": very far from optimal and no help for the current toon logged.
    4. Delves are white when done by the current toon and black otherwise. A legend on the right tells if you have obtained the shard. Same for publics. OK.
    5. WB's are the problem. They do not appear if you the toon has not yet discovered them, but, if they have already been killed by another toon they appear white, completed, if only discovered. Not good indeed.
    6. All above holds without Map Pins. With this add-on things are a bit more complicated, but you can always see if you have just discovered (black with a white border) or completed (white). Unfortunately, this does not hold for delves :(

Hope to have been useful and to have clarified my experience so far.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The difference with maps shown in screenshots. This is comparing live to pts with old character on live and new character on pts. This is one of the unfortunate effects of AWA by no longer tracking individual character progression.

From Q&A: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/598865/account-wide-achievements-q-a
    Q: Are there plans to track individual character progression or identifying which character completed an achievement first?

A: Completed achievements will display the name of the character that first completed the achievement, as well as the date it was first completed. The initial account achievement merging process takes this into account and will auto-update the achievement to display the earliest completion date and character. Tracking individual character progression nullifies the database improvements that Account Wide Achievements bring and isn’t something we can implement without losing those benefits.

====== LIVE Server (with map pins) ======
    WB has not been cleared by this character, yet it has been discovered. Point on the map is black as it should be.
    9QofTye.png

WB is dead. Point on map turns white which indicates that this WB has been killed by this character.
    mjvC5Cf.png

LIVE:
    Delve has been discovered but not yet cleared by this character. Map show this as black (uncleared) by this character.
    0DxSKqJ.png

====== PTS Server (no map pins) ======
    New character rides through Glenumbra discovering things.
    Note the WB and the Dolman are black in the top of the screen
    0pfMaXc.png

Character rides to discover those two places.
    7oWnd5L.png
    65jBOiw.png

Character rides back to a spot to display the two icons on the top of the screen. Note they are white. On live they would have been black because this character did not kill the bosses nor did he complete the dolman.
    GedWJUE.png

PTS example with new character and a delve that was completed by a different character. This character merely rode up to the delve and the delve became marked as complete on the map.
    faorTAt.png

=== PTS Server with Map Pins ===

The same new character at a delve that he did not complete but, the older character did. He merely rode up to it.
    fH3LY8c.png

Anyway, speaking for myself, I am going to miss individual character tracking.
    Q: What will happen to the character-specific achievement data once this goes through? Will there be a way to revert the process if something goes wrong?

A: We will have backups of all the data in case of an emergency, but as noted earlier, much of this effort is a performance initiative and great for the long-term health of the game. As such, we do not intend to revert this unless we run into some sort of catastrophic bug.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--