The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magnum Shot and Bombard needs to balanced with respect to Destructive Clench

techprince
techprince
✭✭✭✭✭
Devs nerfed Destructive Reach a long time ago for having DMG+Stun with 28m. Yet Bombard and Magnum Shot still has it? Why? These skills needs to be brought inline with Destructive Clench.
Edited by techprince on February 27, 2022 6:45PM
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombard, 20 m
    https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/bombard

Magnum Shot, 22 m
    https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/magnum-shot

Neither are 28 m, but both are above the 15 m of Destructive Touch.

• Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also bow is pretty hard to use competitively in pvp for anything besides ganking.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dalsinthus wrote: »
    Also bow is pretty hard to use competitively in pvp for anything besides ganking.

part of the issue is that bow's passives are UBER bow focused. most of the passives only apply to bow skills.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bow is pretty lackluster as it is in terms of meta-pvp. You wont see many use a bow for high end pvp outside bombard spam in a ballgroup or means to get major expedition for a ganker (and snipers).

PC EU
    PvP only
  • GypsyKing22
    GypsyKing22
    ✭✭✭
    Bow/bow stamsorc is one of the strongest pvp specs rn idk what yall smokin
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh? I use bows as backbar weapons on my PvP alts, and I really can't say that they are OP in any respect. They rarely have range enough in sieges, and the damage is hardly impressive either (although I am a fairly lousy PvP-er, so that may diminish my effectiveness). What kills me in range combat is, however, rarely bows, but proc sets or ultis, or siege engines.

But then I am just one person and hardly a whole statistic.
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bow/bow stamsorc is one of the strongest pvp specs rn idk what yall smokin

Build? I’m just not seeing this anywhere. Sorcs in general are rare compared to necros, templars, and dks.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombard, 20 m

Magnum Shot, 22 m

You didn't read it correctly. I said about an ability having instant CC, high damage and range all together which was nerfed along time ago. Yet these same characteristics are STILL present in Bow abilities.

Both needs to be toned down to the levels of Destructive Touch.
    Edited by techprince on February 27, 2022 11:06AM
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Bow is pretty lackluster as it is in terms of meta-pvp. You wont see many use a bow for high end pvp outside bombard spam in a ballgroup or means to get major expedition for a ganker (and snipers).

And thats the main problem. Ranged AOE root is a huge problem in itself. Root immunity doesn't last for more than 2 seconds on many skills.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    techprince wrote: »
    Bombard, 20 m

Magnum Shot, 22 m

You didn't read it correctly. I said about an ability having instant CC, high damage and range all together which was nerfed along time ago. Yet these same characteristics are STILL present in Bow abilities.

Your original post hinted that both skills had a 28m range. They don't. Mangum Shot's 22m range is to counter gap closers and the 20m range on arrow spray being 20 was when snipe had a 20m dead range and a snare was needed to get enemies in that radius out of it. Even without that dead range existing there ins't a need for those skills to have to be the same, as Clench has either a knockback, maim, aoe, and status effects on every cast. Or you can morph it up to 28m, outranging the mentioned skills.

As for your argument against aoe roots. I stopped pvping in no small part to the tedium of how most fights became 'run around the rock' fest, and to counter mobility you need skills that counter it.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    Bombard, 20 m

Magnum Shot, 22 m

Your original post hinted that both skills had a 28m range. They don't. Mangum Shot's 22m range is to counter gap closers and the 20m range on arrow spray being 20 was when snipe had a 20m dead range and a snare was needed to get enemies in that radius out of it. Even without that dead range existing there ins't a need for those skills to have to be the same, as Clench has either a knockback, maim, aoe, and status effects on every cast. Or you can morph it up to 28m, outranging the mentioned skills.

As for your argument against aoe roots. I stopped pvping in no small part to the tedium of how most fights became 'run around the rock' fest, and to counter mobility you need skills that counter it.

Clench is of 15m range. Doesn't have an AOE root and doesn't do enough damage all together. Bow shouldn't be an exception.
    If rules are being applied, they should be applied to all skills of the same type.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Clench has a different purpose than arrow spray. One is a single target skill with additional perks based on the element to do some single target things like its knock back or root or aoe damage, the other is an aoe crowd control skill. This fixated mentality that 'all skills must act the same' is the reason why so many builds feel the same. Skills with different purposes should be allowed to act differently, I'm sorry you probably had a few bad run-ins with archers lately, but both arrow spray's mobility debuffing and magnum shots knock back are both skills that are rightfully called for in pvp situations.

It also doesn't change that your initial comment directly stated that 'having DMG+Stun with 28m' while neither have 28m range, arrow spray doesn't have a stun and does standard aoe spammable damage while magnum shot does 70% the damage of snipe, a standard damage spammable. I have always found it odd ZOS decided to have clench give up the dot component since that made the skill into a front loaded damage over time skill which the game has few of, but because clench is undervalue isn't a reason to call out for nerfs on other skills you don't even fully know.
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombard, 20 m

Magnum Shot, 22 m

Sure. Reread what you wrote. You didn’t say high damage anywhere in your post or thread title. You said “DMG+Stun with 28 m.”

The damage on these skills is mediocre. They’re both well below my tool tips for spammable skills, including destructive touch.

• techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clench has a different purpose than arrow spray. One is a single target skill with additional perks based on the element to do some single target things like its knock back or root or aoe damage, the other is an aoe crowd control skill. This fixated mentality that 'all skills must act the same' is the reason why so many builds feel the same. Skills with different purposes should be allowed to act differently, I'm sorry you probably had a few bad run-ins with archers lately, but both arrow spray's mobility debuffing and magnum shots knock back are both skills that are rightfully called for in pvp situations.

It also doesn't change that your initial comment directly stated that 'having DMG+Stun with 28m' while neither have 28m range, arrow spray doesn't have a stun and does standard aoe spammable damage while magnum shot does 70% the damage of snipe, a standard damage spammable. I have always found it odd ZOS decided to have clench give up the dot component since that made the skill into a front loaded damage over time skill which the game has few of, but because clench is undervalue isn't a reason to call out for nerfs on other skills you don't even fully know.

Bombard is an AOE stamina equivalent of Old Frost Reach, Magnum is stamina equivalent of old Flame Reach. Kind of common sense don't you think? Why does an AOE crowd control skill has more range than a single target crowd control skill (Flame Clench)? Where is the sense here?

Bombard, 20 m

Magnum Shot, 22 m

Sure. Reread what you wrote. You didn’t say high damage anywhere in your post or thread title. You said “DMG+Stun with 28 m.”

The damage on these skills is mediocre. They’re both well below my tool tips for spammable skills, including destructive touch.

Destructive Reach didnt have that high direct damage as well. But still it got nerfed just because of Master Weapons. The "High" damage part came with Master Weapons only. So again, if a rule is being applied to one, it should apply to others as well.
    Edited by techprince on February 27, 2022 6:43PM
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bombard is more akin to encase or frost blockade, since those are aoe skills. Should frost clench have is cost increased to better match bombards aoe based cost? And while flame clench lost its dot to maintain the knockback, it is also a fair bit cheaper than magnum shot. Should it be made more expensive to better reflect magnum shot? You expressed a lack of understanding in your original post, calling for nerfs even when things were explained afterwards. Different skills function differently, don't compare apples to coconuts when you should instead be asking for the flame and shock versions of destructive touch to have more meaningful uses to justify slotting, something which I actually think should happen.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombard is more akin to encase or frost blockade, since those are aoe skills.

I´d definetly be down to make bombard comparable to encase - esp the dmg condition.

Or maybe make encase as good as bombard - bc didn´t zos at some point state class abilities should be better than weapon ones?
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even on my tank I find issue trying to use encase, the major vitality morph is meh and the shattering morph is low damage and awkwardly delayed, definitely another skill that deserves a second look to make more attractive.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombard is more akin to encase or frost blockade, since those are aoe skills. Should frost clench have is cost increased to better match bombards aoe based cost? And while flame clench lost its dot to maintain the knockback, it is also a fair bit cheaper than magnum shot. Should it be made more expensive to better reflect magnum shot? You expressed a lack of understanding in your original post, calling for nerfs even when things were explained afterwards. Different skills function differently, don't compare apples to coconuts when you should instead be asking for the flame and shock versions of destructive touch to have more meaningful uses to justify slotting, something which I actually think should happen.

I never expressed my lack of understanding. You assumed it. You are comparing apples with oranges. Frost Blockade is a ground AOE bombard is not. Frost Blockade has low range as well. Big difference there. Frost Blockade doesn't root unless they are chilled. Bombard has no such conditions attached to it. So even if with your logic we compare with frost blockade, bombard is out of place.

Both bombard and magnum shot should have its range reduced to 15m.
    Edited by techprince on February 28, 2022 12:42PM
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    28m range. Neither of them have it. Neither have noteworthy damage. Comparing single target skills to aoe skills, and acting that if two skills share any traits that they should be put into a mold and made the same. Different skills are different, advocate for a buff to flame and shock reach/clench to make them more engaging skills, don't ask for nerfs just because of negative personal experiences by those skills being used for their intended purposes (zoning).
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    28m range. Neither of them have it. Neither have noteworthy damage. Comparing single target skills to aoe skills, and acting that if two skills share any traits that they should be put into a mold and made the same. Different skills are different, advocate for a buff to flame and shock reach/clench to make them more engaging skills, don't ask for nerfs just because of negative personal experiences by those skills being used for their intended purposes (zoning).

Magnum and Bombard doesn't have any other conditions attached to it. The only way every other magicka characher can successfully immobilise or knockback is with Clench only. You are assuming i had bad experience. You are making alot of things up.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ranged weapons are hard to balance in this game's PvP. If they are too strong, melee becomes worthless, and gameplay degenerates into players spamming powerful attacks from complete safety on keep walls, behind their zerg, or stealthed far away from the target. Bows and staves are fine where they now are in PvP.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • PuddingZebra
    PuddingZebra
    ✭✭✭

Magnum and Bombard doesn't have any other conditions attached to it. The only way every other magicka characher can successfully immobilise or knockback is with Clench only. You are assuming i had bad experience. You are making alot of things up.

magnum shot used to have a very low range. (10 meters) and apply a 6 meter knockback on the target as well as your character jumping backwards 6 meters. This created 21-22m gap on max range. Where have i seen that value before? Ah yes. Flame clench. 15m range with 6 meter knockback. 21meters of gap created. The cost is also lower.

As far as bombard goes. Yeah it's a relatively useful root/snare. the snare portion will be removed next patch afaik. And you get root immunity. It's also an extremely niche skill, not used often due to the relatively high cost, clunkyness in using and the fact you have to use a bow.

They changed magnum shot for a reason. Right now it knocks back 8 meters with a 22m range. (30 meters of total gap at max).
    however , it costs a base 540 stamina more than clench costs magicka. also clench deals comparable damage, AND applies a guaranteed status effect on hit.
    Edited by PuddingZebra on February 28, 2022 2:05PM
    You see, I am a Pink Flying Pudding Zebra.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Templars have knockback; multiple classes have immobilizes, all classes have access to bow and staff. Next chapter there are no "mag" classes or "stam" classes, so it becomes even more equal.

(The only imbalance are the few classes that are forced to use bow or staff for these CCs. For example, necros get stuck using fire staff for clench because it is their only viable instant CC, even though firestaff costs them 10% damage.)