Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mayhem performance so far - much worse than previous events

Crown
Crown
✭✭✭✭✭
We all know that PvP performance has been abysmal for the past few years as soon as prime time hits and populations are locked.

We also know that historically during the Mayhem events, there were usually more servers spun up and/or an increase in resources allocated to the servers that host Cyrodiil resulting in very good performance, skills actually firing on time, and fun times to be had by all.

Further to various discussions over the past day with both PvP regulars and PvE players who have joined in for Mayhem, the consensus is that performance, while better than normal Cyrodiil (outside of Mayhem events) is an order of magnitude worse than previous Mayhem events.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert Please pass this on to the appropriate internal team. A simple method to demonstrate this is to try and cast any channeled skill - notably Puncturing Sweep, and wait for the animation to start and/or damage to show. It can often take a few seconds for this to happen, by which time your opponent is well out of position for it to be effective at all. Anyone who tries to play for more than 10 minutes in Grey Host on PC/NA will corroborate the statement that performance is absolutely horrible.

We ask that you please spin up a few more instances, allocate a few more cores and memory to the Cyrodiil servers. We understand that this is expensive to run full time, but the Mayhem event is when we all get together and expect a bit better than you're giving us now.

Best regards,
Crown
Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just Cyrodil performance as of late.

I think there has always been a misunderstanding on performance during Mayhem events. I don't think anything Zos is doing actually improves server performance in any meaningful way. I don't think they are adding more resources to it and opening more campaigns only works to funnel overfill from the main campaign, which has zero impact on the player filled campaign, as the main campaign is still pop locked and isn't losing players to the newer campaigns.

A few things are actually happening in the main campaigns that often lead to an impression of improvement:
    - AP zerg trains are running large groups of people around the map, usually away from major choke points, for fast, easy AP. So players in typical offensive and defense skirmishes are away from those fights, and are removed from the majority of the lag and performance issues. However, whereever that AP train is, will always be a lag fest, and even more so when two or even 3 alliance AP trains collide. It's a mess. But, when you are up defending Arrius with a group a 12 against another group of 12, its not so bad.
    - Players join the main campaign to do out of the way quests for boxes and tickets. This shuffles the population of the server from actual performance diminishing PVP activities into more PVE oriented ones. The more players who do this, which often tends to happen in times when the queue to join the server is lower, the better performance for the server.

So yeah, while the zerg is on the opposite of the map, or people are running more quests than participating in larger scale battles, the performance appears to be better. But if you are in the mix of those larger scale battles, performance during any MYM event has always been awful. Always, every single time the event has been run. My personal favorite was a BRK defense a few years ago where all three alliances were fighting it out and periodically throughout the 30-40 minute siege, all three sides had players DC randomly. I think I crashed twice, but managed to get back in before the defensive tick finally hit, was somewhere near 80K AP. It was crazy, but performance was on par with how the event has always been.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    same for PC EU,skills not firing,laggggg,desync and latency constantly above 200-all hours
    game freezes,then boots you out and when return you get "account aleraedy logged in" or "lost lobby connection"
    after 4-5 min, you retrurn but outside Cyro and have to wait back in Q line for 1 hour

excuse me but this isnt performance for a game i (we ) pay a sub
    and worst is that you cant do anything to fix,cause then you shouldn't give sets like DC or letting 12 ppl ball groups taking damage from 50 ppl without a scratch or introducing Hammer which cause lag,lag,lag and crashes
    Edited by method__01 on February 18, 2022 8:46PM
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to cancel raid early last night because of performance. The first time that's ever happened for us.
  • Thunda
    Thunda
    ✭✭
    Would be nice to enjoy this event but with the lag being the same or worse than usual it's not possible. I end up playing for 30 minutes then get frustrated that nothing works so I close the game for the day. I'm sure for some players the lag isn't as bad and for other's it's far worse. For me, when ESO becomes more of a frustration than enjoyment because of game performance, it's time to log off.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC/EU. Queued to enter Grey Host tonight. The queue began at 81 or so. Took 43mins to get me to 61. At 61 in line, the line stopped. Waited another hour and still at 61.

This is good for PvP players. Because it puts into the spotlight what we have been dealing with for two years now. PvE players have every right to come into Cyrodiil and earn their event tickets. But if the queue is stuck because the population is throttled to almost nothing then they can't get in. It isn't really acceptable to run an event that is inaccessible to many for no other reason than lack of server capacity. I hope the plight of PvPers now gets recognition from the entire eao community.
    Edited by rbfrgsp on February 18, 2022 10:13PM
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst performance I have ever seen :(
    Having a single target build I can only get about 30% of attacks to land... the rest fire off & go nowhere.
    I understand now why so many PVPrs are opting for the cheesy AOE builds... you can still operate a lot better with the lag.

Low pop bonus is still broken & giving one faction low pop even though they have the highest score & all 3 factions are pop-locked.

I am still 'kinda' enjoying teh event coz it is PVP & there are a lot of players... but OMG i think imm break my mouse buttons sometimes !

(EDIT) To top it off... one faction now has Emp, All the ring keeps, the hammer & LOW POP BONUS with pop-lock!@#! WTF ZOS !?>!?!?

(2nd EDIT) OK, so all written above was prime time, NA-PC Blackreach campaign. :) After the pops died down a bit (AU night) the performance was much easier to deal with. Skills were still delayed, but now at least they are working. Siege fires when I press the fire button rather than 3-5 seconds later. I no longer have to press E 4 times to go through a door.

I am still stuck in combat (for over 4 hours) but I have gotten used to running everywhere & having no slotted seige :(

Edited by dem0n1k on February 19, 2022 11:15PM
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    My experience in Imperial City was actually pretty good. Very little lag, no freezes or hangs. Even in large groups.

Using NA servers. For about 2 hours. And that is the only Mayhem experience I have had so far...let's see how the rest progresses.

Just my $0.02
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure they have had to move enough resources to handle the new zones they keep rolling out, that they can't spare any processing power for the event anymore without having to literally shut another part of the game down. Too bad they forgot to order those new servers last year... again.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    PC/EU. Queued to enter Grey Host tonight. The queue began at 81 or so. Took 43mins to get me to 61. At 61 in line, the line stopped. Waited another hour and still at 61.

This morning I have queued from 48 to 9 and got stuck at 9 for an hour then booted from the queue. Rejoined and queued from 73 to 14 and now stuck at 14 for half an hour. What a botched event this turned out to be.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This morning I have queued from 48 to 9 and got stuck at 9 for an hour then booted from the queue. Rejoined and queued from 73 to 14 and now stuck at 14 for half an hour. What a botched event this turned out to be.

This is why I stick to the new campaigns during the event.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • AgentZenish
    AgentZenish
    ✭✭✭
    I popped into Grey Host in PC NA this morning around 9am Central, and headed to an average keep fight, perhaps 30 players total. However, lag was at the level of a prime time faction stack keep fight. It was ridiculous. I logged out 5 minutes later and switched back to an off campaign. This is why I usually only play off campaigns during MYM, but I assumed GH at 9am would be fine. Silly me.
  • Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert here's an example from this afternoon:
    https://youtu.be/44oeRmifaAA
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • BronzeCaiman
    BronzeCaiman
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to be honest here, I only play in Cyrodiil on Stadia, and I do not experience performance issues even when in ball groups sieging. I have fiber optic internet with symmetrical speeds if it matters.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »

This is how it is every day during prime time for 8 hours and how it is 16 hours/day on the weekends.

ZOS does not lease enough server to support their game. It's really obvious to those of us who have followed this issue for many years, read/heard what ZOS has to say, and witnessed first hand the massive disconnect between claims made and results realized.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to be honest here, I only play in Cyrodiil on Stadia, and I do not experience performance issues even when in ball groups sieging. I have fiber optic internet with symmetrical speeds if it matters.
    Doesn’t matter how good your internet is lol. The server itself is lagging. I’ve seen fights this event where you can break free 3+ times in a row (yes it spends the Stamina too) and only being able to cast an Ability once per 2-4 seconds.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »

This is how it is every day during prime time for 8 hours and how it is 16 hours/day on the weekends.

ZOS does not lease enough server to support their game. It's really obvious to those of us who have followed this issue for many years, read/heard what ZOS has to say, and witnessed first hand the massive disconnect between claims made and results realized.

Bingo.

EDIT: I'd actually like to see what would happen if they gave us MYM server resources for a month without the event. Would the performance go back to what it should be?
    Edited by neferpitou73 on February 23, 2022 7:49PM
  • phbell
    phbell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ravenwatch has been nearly unplayable.
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't use ability .....just use heavy atk all the way.
    Edited by heng14rwb17_ESO on February 26, 2022 1:32AM
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of that going on. People are just holding down their trigger button all day because they know skills won't fire off.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There is a lot of that going on. People are just holding down their trigger button all day because they know skills won't fire off.

And when someone builds for it, because it is the only thing that works, the cries for HA nerfs ensue. ROFL
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phbell wrote: »
    Ravenwatch has been nearly unplayable.

*laughs in Blackreach*
    Edited by neferpitou73 on February 28, 2022 4:25AM
  • ShenaniganSquad
    ShenaniganSquad
    ✭✭✭
    its just unacceptable for a paid game to be this unplayable... 3 times ive logged into cyrodiil, gone to alessia, used one skill and crashed with 800 ping... its way past laughable now
  • gameswithaspoon
    gameswithaspoon
    ✭✭✭
    Ravenwatch PC NA performance was pretty good even when we locked for all three factions. And we played prime time every night of the event.

Aside from Templars being unable to Mount because they are stuck in combat but that’s every night of the year.
    Spoon-no-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Templar AD BWB
    Spoon-ware-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Stamplar AD Bahlokdaan
    Guild Leader Imperium of the Eagle Ravenwatch NA-PC
    Takes Drive-Thru Orders for This is a Wendy's.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's been pretty terrible. I've had to spend the event almost exclusively in imperial city because I've been unable to cast in any relatively populated server. And I'm not talking about pop-locked campaigns, I've had skill lag and not being able to cast in 3 bar campaigns as well. So I've had to stick to imperial city to actually be able to play
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It also felt 'emptier' than other events. Like there was less overall players...
    EU | PC
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I stick to the new campaigns during the event.

Pretty much this. MYM is actually a pretty bad time to pvp. You've got a massive queue to get in, lousy performance when you get there and there isn't actually that much going on. Half the people are doing quests for tickets, the other half are mindlessly zerging to farm some AP. If you want to farm potatoes with 20k health and full divines, sure I guess. But its still a [snip]. Better to just accept that and treat the event for what it is. We just decamped to one of the new campaigns and used the time to farm achievements, skyshards and AP. Its total pvd but it's a nice relaxed social event and you can't beat low pop bonus half the time :)

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on March 3, 2022 1:23PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master_Kas wrote: »
    It also felt 'emptier' than other events. Like there was less overall players...

Yup, there was a queue only in the first couple of days, at least on DC PCNA, in previous events I remember getting a queue for most of the event. As for performance, in all days my game crashed at least once (game froze->got kicked to the log in screen), and in on one day it crashed on 6 different occassions. Besides the crashes, it was very laggy, even when populations in one area weren't very big--in the past the lag would start when a lot more players were around.
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I honestly thought the previous Mayhem (June/July 2021) was worse in terms of performance. The ones before that were all great performance-wise.

This latest edition of Mayhem wasn't too bad for me, but a large part of that might be that I left Gray Host for what it is after day 2, and went to play on Blackreach and Ravenwatch instead. Performance there was mostly acceptable outside of the 6pm-10pm timeframe. What also might've helped is that I played my Stamblade in the afternoons and switched to a cheesy heavy attack Magblade in the evenings.
    PC/EU altaholic | DC Gray Host graveyard shift | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50