The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Should've fixed Cyro before releasing another event...

EddieRavendark
How much AP have we all lost through blue screens, load screens, "check your internet connection" messages (Zos check your internet connection maybe? Cos mine is fine...)

This will get deleted by the mods, but I'll also copy/paste it on Reddit etc
We let zos get away with by still paying for subs... more fool us! Any other company in the world would be taken to court or trading standards for charging money for a let's face it, broken product
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on February 21, 2022 8:13PM
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1- You made 2 posts by mistake
    2- i avoid cyro pvp because of bluescreens too , its scary. I wish i could ya know explore delves without being murdererd. Hope bluescreens get fixed...
    3- they are fixing pvp , will take years, hopefully less than 2.
    4- oh camon don't be so rude to z :( , with or without pvp they crafted a great game.
    Edited by francesinhalover on February 20, 2022 1:17AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • EddieRavendark
    1. Unintentional if I did post twice.
    2. I hope they do too.
    3. They've had years already to fix it...
    4. I only play pvp, yes they crafted a good game. But the pvp side should still be in beta phase of testing even after all these years.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    giphy.gif
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, the problem with PvP is that, although ZOS (theoretically) studies players behaviours in Cyrodiil and (theoretically) is constantly tweaking this side of the game, they don't have what it takes to actually support PvP. BSoD, disconnections and general errors that force a player to be disconnected — with a ridiculously unexplained reason — and prevent us to get back in action because of the instance queue, we're suffering from a massive lag that I, with my 200~250 ping never had in this game.

Today, ESO's PvP is as bad as GW2's AvA — Alliance vs. Alliance, since they have two types of PvP — and that's something I'd honestly never imagined here because GW2, apart from DLCs you have to buy separately (which don't come very often), is mostly free. If memory serves me well, here, I never had to press a skill 5 times to cast it!

And on top of that, we have an enormous amount of sets, each one with different timers, cooldowns and effects that require lots of math running in a fraction of a second and, while not every single one is being used at the same time, many "off-meta" and niche-like can be seen in place.

I'll hide the next section 'cause it's kinda long and not very much related to the topic. Read it if you want.
    If I had to throw some very wild (and drastic) suggestions, I'd say:

1) Reduce the number of players per instance (even more?) but with some flexibility for pre-made groups. This way queues will be shorter and less stuff will be happening at once and grouped players won't be forced to stay out of their group's instance.

2) Set everyone with a default look. Doesn't help the latency, sure, but the less fancy stuff to load, the fewer FPS drops we'll have —which might be the case of some players that rode all the way from one keep to another crashing when arriving.

3) Create new sets exclusively for PvP. You'll be able to fine-tune PvE and PvP sets without screwing any of the sides because the other thought one is "too OP".

From the top of my mind, I suppose:

- For tanks, a set for statue-like players that only survive, relying purely on their classes' skills; a set for support-like tanks — that helps to do stuff like purging or rooting players without needing skills for that — and a set for berserk-like players, those that can be bulky but also do some damage;
    - On the DPS side, a "power" set focused more on raw damage than DoTs and a "condition" set as the opposite;
    - And for healers the very same principle of tanks, only with healing in mind.

You can keep these disgusting sets like Dark Convergence if you want as "extra" though all the effort with the new proposed sets would go to waste as the majority would end up sticking to these cancers.

These are my two cents and I most likely won't come back to this topic 'cause the matter would be probably in the lazy neurons :tongue:
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my opinion, the very net code the game is based on is bad. It can't be fixed without a complete overhaul of the code.

People have suggested that maybe there should be PVP servers that you have to load your PVP character on to so that the game can be completely coded differently from the main game.

Anyway I had a frustrating experience where my opponent was just blocking, I'd fear them and then attempt to ultimate and it wouldn't fire no matter what I did I just kept pressing R and nothing happened.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    In my opinion, the very net code the game is based on is bad. It can't be fixed without a complete overhaul of the code.

People have suggested that maybe there should be PVP servers that you have to load your PVP character on to so that the game can be completely coded differently from the main game.

Anyway I had a frustrating experience where my opponent was just blocking, I'd fear them and then attempt to ultimate and it wouldn't fire no matter what I did I just kept pressing R and nothing happened.

If they can improve performance in cyrodiil by shifting more server resources to cyrodiil during the PvP events, then it's safe to assume more server resources would improve performance every day if ZOS chose to spend our subscription fees that way.

From the customer perspective there is zero evidence that ZOS is actually working on fixing any performance issues.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »

If they can improve performance in cyrodiil by shifting more server resources to cyrodiil during the PvP events, then it's safe to assume more server resources would improve performance every day if ZOS chose to spend our subscription fees that way.

From the customer perspective there is zero evidence that ZOS is actually working on fixing any performance issues.

It is my opinion that after the last DLC, ZOS no longer has enough server resources to run their game or shift them to a given area in order to improve performance for events as they used to. They in fact, decided to not dedicate enough resources to make Cyrodiil playable for years (due to cost most likely), but at least used to have enough they could borrow from other zones to make it playable for the events in the past.

I am giving the whole game a 50/50 chance of hitting complete meltdown, turning PVE performance into current Cyrodiil performance when they drop the next chapter, as once again they will need to steal resources from existing areas in order to spin it up, because they keep forgetting to buy more or upgrade their servers. (Lets see how long we can milk this cash cow)

My take on the "code optimization" they are working on, is for dynamically moving processing resources to areas players are in, from those they aren't, instead of actually spending the $$$ for more horsepower. I am pretty sure they tried this before (and failed miserably) during the time Cyrodiil was plagued with mini-loading screens.

That is also based upon the premise they are doing anything at all, which as you point out, there is zero evidence of outside of the yearly letter claiming they are.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leaving aside the rearchitecture they are working on, events have only been canceled when a required part was literally unplayable.

I don't mean lag, crashes, blue screens and other assorted problems in Cyrodiil. Those are bad. But there are plenty of players running around Cyrodiil.

I mean when the Battlegrounds queue was broken and couldn't properly queue players for content required for Midyear Mayhem.

I mean when the Groupfinder was broken and couldn't properly queue for dungeons.

ZOS has canceled 2 Events, and both were for issues that made them literally unplayable.

Cyrodiil performance is bad, but not that bad.
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The performance is so bad its nearly unplayeable. They should have added more campaigns to spread people out.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leaving aside the rearchitecture they are working on, events have only been canceled when a required part was literally unplayable.

I don't mean lag, crashes, blue screens and other assorted problems in Cyrodiil. Those are bad. But there are plenty of players running around Cyrodiil.

I mean when the Battlegrounds queue was broken and couldn't properly queue players for content required for Midyear Mayhem.

I mean when the Groupfinder was broken and couldn't properly queue for dungeons.

ZOS has canceled 2 Events, and both were for issues that made them literally unplayable.

Not sure how to respond, but Cyro performance is bad even without events and you are only stating when performance was bad and events were canceled.

Players have noted improved performance in past PvP events, but my experience is always that of disconnects, failed relogs, the game telling me I didn’t have internet or PS+, and frozen gameplay. Generally much worse for me during events, but I’m a console peasant unlike most of you.

I had one PvP event in the past where my PS4 kept crashing at the crash report screen and I had to reboot in safe mode and lost game data. I sat out that event for fear of destroying my console.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpeg
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly they are literally upgrading the servers and doing a whole rearchitecture, and they have done all kinds of tests all along like disabling procs, the CP overhaul, etc. Etc.

Those who claim ZOS has done nothing are just flat out incorrect. They have done stuff and they are continuing to do stuff.

None of it has improved performance much, but there's a pretty big difference between "they have constantly failed to fix it," and "they have literally done zero things."

They are holding the events because it's going to be a long while before Cyrodiil is in good shape. And if they did nothing in the meantime, people would complain they haven't even done little things for pvp.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Having spend hours and hours in Cyrodiil during this event, I have not experienced any crashes, lost connections, infinite loading screens, or blue screens. Granted, I have mostly been PvEing. However, I did experience a few battles, even went to a massive keep siege once. No clue on what I'm doing though, haha.

The only thing I've been experiencing is ability lag, mostly on my dual wield characters. This makes almost all my abilities miss any target, both PvE and PvP. While still costing stamina. Whereas my magicka characters seemed unaffected by this delay/lag, and magicka abilities actually hit the targets they were supposed to. Strangely.

PS: PC EU, no add-ons. Windows 10, 2080 ti gaming X trio.
    PPS: I feel ZOS should run a no add-ons test in Cyrodiil, as add-ons add massive amounts of server calculations. Due to them being able to perform tasks which would take a player much longer to perform.
    PPPS: Another thing I've noticed in PvE overland zones, is there was an increased server delay when ZOS made dolmens show active on the map. (most notable skyshards take longer to register since that update) This leads me to believe the Cyrodiil delay could be caused by the interactive map, as the server has too many things to keep track of. So maybe ZOS could run a test where the map is static, just to try it out.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even with the performance issues, the event seems extremely popular. That is probably why they continue to have it.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how to respond, but Cyro performance is bad even without events and you are only stating when performance was bad and events were canceled.

Players have noted improved performance in past PvP events, but my experience is always that of disconnects, failed relogs, the game telling me I didn’t have internet or PS+, and frozen gameplay. Generally much worse for me during events, but I’m a console peasant unlike most of you.

I had one PvP event in the past where my PS4 kept crashing at the crash report screen and I had to reboot in safe mode and lost game data. I sat out that event for fear of destroying my console.

There's a difference between "Cyrodiil performance is bad" (it is) and "the game mode is literally unplayable for most players" (it isn't).

Cyrodiil is at the first point. As much as performance sucks, most players are indeed able to queue up and get their event tickets and achievements.

ZOS doesn't cancel events until we hit the second point of literally being unplayable for most players. I realize that "literally" is an overused word, but in this case, it's accurate. The Groupfinder queue was so broken that players could not queue up for the content, and that tanked two events.

That's why we have Whitestrake's Mayhem now, rather than doing as the OP suggests and waiting for a year + until the rearchitecture is done. Performance sucks, but it's not literally unplayable for most players. No reason to cancel.
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made 600.000+ Alliance points yesterday on 1 character, and more on some others.
    So yes, you can play the event to a certain degree. This is the positive side, the bad is:
    During keep battles, where you spent up to 20 minutes and several siege weapons, the game often crashes just after the inner door opened.
    When you rez after 2 or 3 tries to log back in, the keep has been captured already, and you get no AP at all for your efforts. I wasted 2 hours of playtime and maybe 300k AP like this.

And the non-firing skills of course destroy the fun in playing, it is mainly just grinding AP, not playing for fun in the current state. (xbox, EU and NA).

Edited by markulrich1966 on February 21, 2022 1:05PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made 600.000+ Alliance points yesterday on 1 character, and more on some others.
    So yes, you can play the event to a certain degree. This is the positive side, the bad is:
    During keep battles, where you spent up to 20 minutes and several siege weapons, the game often crashes just after the inner door opened.
    When you rez after 2 or 3 tries to log back in, the keep has been captured already, and you get no AP at all for your efforts. I wasted 2 hours of playtime and maybe 300k AP like this.

And the non-firing skills of course destroy the fun in playing, it is mainly just grinding AP, not playing for fun in the current state. (xbox, EU and NA).

Yeah. Been there. (PC/NA)

There's nothing quite like crashing to log-in and and listening to my teammates on voice comms go, "That was a 300k tick!"

And I'm like, "Well...fetch."
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have been working on "fixing" Cyrodiil for 4 years at least.
    How long do you want to not have events for?

As Varanis stated, its not unplayable for many players.
    I rarely have an issue myself when I do play it.

No need to cancel and entire event for the few that have issues.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah performance is really bad. Whenever two factions have 2 bars abilities start to lag or not work. Last night I was in evergloam and it worked fine when it was only 3 bars max, but the moment 4 bars of players were online it started feeling like turn based combat where I had to wait in order to cast abilities.

But that's just normal cyrodiil performance at this point
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Honestly they are literally upgrading the servers and doing a whole rearchitecture, and they have done all kinds of tests all along like disabling procs, the CP overhaul, etc. Etc.

Those who claim ZOS has done nothing are just flat out incorrect. They have done stuff and they are continuing to do stuff.

None of it has improved performance much, but there's a pretty big difference between "they have constantly failed to fix it," and "they have literally done zero things."

They are holding the events because it's going to be a long while before Cyrodiil is in good shape. And if they did nothing in the meantime, people would complain they haven't even done little things for pvp.

Yes but our sympathy for these tests and ZOS' "working on it" wore out after it was evident that none of this was going to work and caused a huge disruption to the game. Not to mention the ethics of performing tests on live servers and expecting your customers to still pay the full subscription for your game
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to be able to enter a home keep without having to hit "X" on my PlayStation controller 5 times and then dying because I couldn't get inside in time, lmao. It's so frustrating
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »
    I just want to be able to enter a home keep without having to hit "X" on my PlayStation controller 5 times and then dying because I couldn't get inside in time, lmao. It's so frustrating

Or the door works....twice, so you right back outside with 15 enemies hitting you.
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »

Or the door works....twice, so you right back outside with 15 enemies hitting you.

Lmao you're not kidding, I've done that so many times as well. Try to run into a keep that's being attacked, door isn't working so I'll enter and then exit right into a zerg.