The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is player damage reduction broken?

Texecutioner187
Texecutioner187
✭✭✭
I saw a group of 10-12 blues attacking a single yellow on an IC flag, just standing there. No skills being cast, no blocking or introspection, not dying, health bar barely moving.... How is this possible???

Best Answer

• Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is a very good possibility he was casting, you just couldn't see the animations... it being Cyrodiil and all.
    Answer ✓
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of cheese skills and sets to be an unkillable tank.

Almalexia's mercy
    Harbinger
    Cyrodiil's Crest
    Battalion defender
    Crimson twilight (if a lot if enemies are around u)
    Corrosive armor skill for dk
    Spell wall ultimate in s&b skill line
    Restoration staff ultimate Life Giver

Combine any 3 of these - you can take quite a beating. Add bloodspawn on a dk - you can gain ult incredibly quick and only have a few seconds colldown on corrosive. If it is also an argonian you can sustain on tripots only.
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    milllaurie wrote: »
    There are a lot of cheese skills and sets to be an unkillable tank.

Almalexia's mercy
    Harbinger
    Cyrodiil's Crest
    Battalion defender
    Crimson twilight (if a lot if enemies are around u)
    Corrosive armor skill for dk
    Spell wall ultimate in s&b skill line
    Restoration staff ultimate Life Giver

Combine any 3 of these - you can take quite a beating. Add bloodspawn on a dk - you can gain ult incredibly quick and only have a few seconds colldown on corrosive. If it is also an argonian you can sustain on tripots only.

Good point on some of these sets, but a few of them require you to block and the Crimson skills also casts AOEs to avoid. This guy was standing there doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. He could have been AFK for all I know based on what it looked like. I can't visualize how that's done. I know Damage Mitigation is multiplicative so it's not like anyone is running around with 100% damage mitigation...
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Healing (defense in general) out-scales every other PvP mechanic by a wide margin at this point.
    I know Damage Mitigation is multiplicative so it's not like anyone is running around with 100% damage mitigation...
    These % mitigation buffs result in a linear EHP (Effective Hit Points) increase, google it if you need a primer.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Healing (defense in general) out-scales every other PvP mechanic by a wide margin at this point

That's fair, but out of the sets mentioned above, majority of them require blocking. Also, Almalexia is light... I can't imagine they had light armor on?

I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that this guy in IC was standing there, not performing any actions, no skills or telegraphs... he may have been AFK for all I know. Two different zergs couldn't take him down.

If it helps, he was Argonian and had Ice/Resto equipped.
    Edited by Texecutioner187 on February 18, 2022 5:23PM
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    this guy in IC was standing there, not performing any actions, no skills or telegraphs... he may have been AFK for all I know. Two different zergs couldn't take him down.
    There's a number of ways to build "troll tanks" that can stand there tanking 10+ especially on Templar where most of it comes from just standing inside Rune + Ritual and alternating casts of Rapid Regen + Living Dark. Yes, it's busted.
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    I guess then on that note - not seeing the guy cast any skills, I'd be interested to theorycraft a similar build so I can transition between tankiness and damage a bit more. But ideally when I theorycraft, I start with one extreme and slowly hybridize its function. Any idea what sets would require literally ZERO input from the user while being indestructible?
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess then on that note - not seeing the guy cast any skills, I'd be interested to theorycraft a similar build so I can transition between tankiness and damage a bit more. But ideally when I theorycraft, I start with one extreme and slowly hybridize its function. Any idea what sets would require literally ZERO input from the user while being indestructible?
    Were the guys beating on the tank a disorganized casual PvE group?
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Were the guys beating on the tank a disorganized casual PvE group?

Nope, it was two different zergs of what appeared to be various PVP players. I do know that one of those groups was relatively seasoned PVP players but the guy still wasn't moving nor was he taking damage. He did cast introspection after everyone gave up on killing him but while being attacked, he didn't do anything.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, it was two different zergs of what appeared to be various PVP players. I do know that one of those groups was relatively seasoned PVP players but the guy still wasn't moving nor was he taking damage. He did cast introspection after everyone gave up on killing him but while being attacked, he didn't do anything.
    Sorry I wouldn't know the exact setup, these sort of builds need to be meatbagged to die in Cyro, but they also can't kill anyone themselves. You can stack such an insane amount of healing via passive HoTs (and the problem gets exponentially worse when you have groups doing it). That's what you're likely observing, not any issue with damage reduction.
  • vindex9ona
    vindex9ona
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know he had ice/destro equipped if he wasn’t doing anything nor casting any skill at all.
  • vindex9ona
    vindex9ona
    ✭✭✭
    Ice/resto*
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    vindex9ona wrote: »
    Ice/resto*

No clue, that's what someone else in my group said that stuck around longer than I did lol.

What passive HoTs are you referring to?
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think, if as you said he was like "afk", he must have receive heals from another player(s) or maybe he had a shield up combined to his strong build and big health maybe ?
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Xarc wrote: »
    I think, if as you said he was like "afk", he must have receive heals from another player(s) or maybe he had a shield up combined to his strong build and big health maybe ?

He was not AFK, but he was in an "AFK-like state". He was simply standing there, not receiving any heals, not casting any skills, neither class nor weapon, but when everyone decided to stop fighting him, he cast Introspection. So he wasn't away, he was just standing idle as if he WERE away.
    Edited by Texecutioner187 on February 19, 2022 2:05AM
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    There is a very good possibility he was casting, you just couldn't see the animations... it being Cyrodiil and all.

Even though it was Imp City? I'm guessing there are casting animations that don't show in Cyro? ..... Bug or "feature"?
    Edited by Texecutioner187 on February 19, 2022 6:30PM
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

Even though it was Imp City? I'm guessing there are casting animations that don't show in Cyro? ..... Bug or "feature"?

Same difference when it is full. I don't even see my own animations half the time.
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was this on PC or console?
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Was on console, Xbox.