The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there MMR in Battlegrounds - Seems VERY new unfriendly - VERY

happyed
happyed
Soul Shriven
Is there a mmr system in eso battlegrounds? seems pointless as a newb to play there (or in cyrodil for that matter - where you just run forever before dying and dying). Is there hope that i will, at some point, be able to get a kill? Ive allready quite pvp multiple times but some folks seem to think its fun and wanted to try again - only to go 0-9 and then 0-6 in a full build i got from the web. Instant cc and death... dont think i ever got anyone under 90% before i was cc'ed down.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an MMR indeed in this game, if your game queues are usually long like 15-20 minute queues, chances are you have high MMR. If you can quick quick 90% of the time, your mmr might be lower. But the problem with MMR is people will smurf and do poorly or run new characters with lower MMR and dominate BGs that way.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvP is a bit of a different animal. Website builds aren't always good to go off of because they may not suit your playstyle.

Reference a few of them. Read the "here's why" bits, and draw your own conclusions.

Being new to PvP, use something like Pariah 24/7 and then a damage set and a mythic or monster set to help you take damage until you get your footing.

Its all about keeping your buffs up and using burst combos to kill your targets or get them on their back foot. Keep your heals running, armor and evasion buffs up etc. - while trying to avoid your opponent's burst combo as well.

Bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, the combat is quite fun.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I see PvE players doing the daily XP quest getting matched against TF Hammer and his 5 million damage Azureblight build.

Not many players at 3am so you play with anyone queued. It's kind of not fair.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on January 26, 2022 8:26PM
    PC NA
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    MMR exist in ESO but It only goes up, never down for what I know; getting Better in PVP Is another metter: this Is an action RPG game, so combat Is fast and you have to react fast, when you are around 50% HP you can bet you are young to receive a stun => ulti => execute/hard hitting skill.

Besides MMR, to try to be able to "play" in PVP try to build some health, some impenetrable or well fitted as traits (your choice of you want ti be more tanky or ti be more agile), use a lot of LOS (line of sight, like Columns, big rocks and such between you and your enemy to be able to avoid some of their damage because they can't hit you of a rock Is between them and you), get in fight with low health target before the ones with big HP pool, in BG try to stay in group, when you get to 50% health focus on defense and healing and get out as fast as possibile, when you are sorrounded flee you fool (if you can, eventually throw an AOE CC like Mass hysteria from nightblade skill tree)!

MMR doesn't help you because It seems It Will never decrease, so Just an advise, focus on survive First, when you are able to end a BG with 0, 1 or 2 deaths, start to try to kill someone, dtarting from low HP targets (prefer a 25k health enemy over a 30k health enemy).

MMR Is an issue here in ESO because It only goes up and this Is an tough experience for new players.
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    happyed wrote: »
    in a full build i got from the web.

Builds are like a blueprint for a house. It might tell you where everything goes, but owning a blueprint and actually putting it together is a completely different skill.

Using another player's builds that gets them success =/= your success.

CombatHammer on pcna is consistently netting 5-6M+ dmg in a bg match and I'd bet everything I own that 98% of players that might try and copy it will go 0-9 with 1M dmg done.

No build will play the game for you.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    happyed wrote: »
    Is there a mmr system in eso battlegrounds? seems pointless as a newb to play there (or in cyrodil for that matter - where you just run forever before dying and dying). Is there hope that i will, at some point, be able to get a kill? Ive allready quite pvp multiple times but some folks seem to think its fun and wanted to try again - only to go 0-9 and then 0-6 in a full build i got from the web. Instant cc and death... dont think i ever got anyone under 90% before i was cc'ed down.

Because ESO uses this 3 team battleground, a lot of success depends on positioning. If your team is going head to toe against another team, then beware the third team coming in and sandwiching you between the other team. This is also how some players get a lot of kills, too. They see a big blob and when everyone's health dips, they jump in and use an Ultimate and execute skill.

ESO, in general, has always been a fast paced get in and get out playstyle for many. If your not built to withstand a lot of pressure and your target(s) haven't gone down, then you pull away till you get another chance or your teammates who died can join you again.

The player named in this thread is a talented player. You can watch him on stream. But notice that he also uses the same techniques. He knows when to head in an bomb, and he knows when to disengage.
  • happyed
    happyed
    Soul Shriven
    Perhaps the big issue for me then is that, unlike PVE where you practice and practice until you can kill stuff cleanly and even the super hard bosses you faced at level 25 are trivial at cp1000 when you know the mechanics blindfolded. i have been going into the BG matches with a build and some skillz but no real understanding or practice using them - hoping to practice on equally bad players until i get better. The instant cc's sure felt like i was playing against MUCH better players. In hind sight, i guess that might be because stamina 2h/dw builds do require being closer than mag or bow builds...

But i was picking half dead targets... and was instantly cc'ed and killed on a stamblade after stampeding in - in the past i did much better on a mag warden when staying at range. Perhaps the try to survive at all costs while staying in the engagement approach + some practice on the skillz in PVE might help. Ill try that.

Thx for the responses.

( still frustrated - especially with cyrodil: where solo seems a total waste of time - and no lfg tool so you are always solo - joined a guild that does some pvp grouping and will see... )

• Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What server are you on? The best way to learn PvP is to just start asking people about it. Stamblade is tough in bg's right now and only a few names come to mind that actually can play it to the benefit of a team. Pretty much, if I see a teammate is a NB and they have a 2h or bow, I can all but guarantee that they'll be useless that match. That doesn't mean it won't be rewarding or isn't worth playing, but hopefully that will cue you on your expectations for yourself in a match.

There's spots in our bg only guild on pcna if you're looking for help improving your skill. Constine is an incredible stamblade bg'er and could be a great resource.
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hang in there OP! We've all been there. When I first started PvP in this game I wanted to quit many times as well. The learning curve is definitely steep and the MMR can be very unfriendly at times depending on how much you play and what time of day. Keep grinding for you'll get more comfortable with the environment and you'll play better in time. Don't worry about kills they will come with practice. We are also in a healing meta so getting kills as a solo or as a small group can be difficult, even for experienced players at the moment. I see that players have already given you some good advice, so I'll just add a couple of more tips from my own experience.

As others have said, online build guides can be helpful in showing you what kinds of sets players are running, but they definitely don't work for everyone. If you still want to try them out, make sure you understand how the sets work as they require different ways to proc them (some use heavy attacks as a way to proc, some need damage over time abilities, some require you to stack damage on enemies, etc). As a new player, I would recommend trying sets that are easier to proc and require less thought. The more you play, you'll begin to figure out the playstyles you like (maybe you like to have high mobility, or be more tanky, or a ranged build works well for, etc). Once you hone into the playstyle that works the best for you, you'll find the sets that will give you the best way to achieve that.

I also found that some sets that worked well in Cyrodiil, were lack luster in BGs. So you may need to swap some monster sets or mythics depending on what kind of PvP you're doing. As other's have suggested, it's better to have more resistances in Cyro, as lag can be a killer, so Pariah is definitely a great set for that as other's have suggested. I, personally, find that high mobility is also a great form a defense, especially in BGs. It allows you to quickly get out of fights if you need to, or players have a more difficult time in targeting you. But, again, that will come down to your playstyle.

If you're still feeling frustrated or overwhelmed, I've heard other players say that starting out as more of a support role (like a healer) really helped them get a good feel for PvP in this game as well. This allowed players to learn how to be defensive without the pressure to get kills on top of that. It also allowed new players to better observe what made others successful in the game.
    Edited by Dem_kitkats1 on January 28, 2022 12:21AM
  • Valabrog
    Valabrog
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest problem is that the more you play and try to learn, the higher you climb on MMR ladder. Lets say you play 10 bg per evening - even with 0-10 results after 2 weeks you will reach the highest MMR. Because you play a lot. I did a lot of testing this month, its just how it works sadly....System thinks that if you play a lot on this character, than you can compete with players who BG daily for 5 years.

Also sad, that BG population is so small, that you see the same players in the match all evening..Doesnt matter it is lowbies or highest MMR - if you open PVP leaderboard 100, you can usually find more than one name from your match there. That means BG population is microscopic..
  • Valabrog
    Valabrog
    ✭✭✭
    Also a common rules nowdays - team with a healer wins. Team with the most dk wins. Team with most bowmen loose. On higher MMR you can make an educated guess who will win after you check team composition even before start..
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMR exists and is a stupid concept. The post before this tells everything you need to know on why it's stupid
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on January 31, 2022 1:31AM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When things are random, it's fair for everyone