The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gamepad Mode (Input Enabled, UI Disabled)

Nebs
Nebs
✭✭✭✭
I received my Azeron Cyclops today, but I can't use the analog stick input (It uses an XBOX controller stick for Windows) in ESO without constant interface changes.
  • With Gamepad Mode Off, the analog stick for the gamepad doesn't function
  • With Gamepad Mode On the UI sticks to the Gamepad UI, but the icons for all inputs flip back and forth each time I touch a key or the analog stick
  • With Gamepad Mode Automatic the whole UI is flipping back and forth between Gamepad UI and Default UI each time I touch a key or the analog stick
acl886pd22ru.png

I tried using Advanced Disable Controller UI, but the add-on isn't maintained and it gave me errors when I tried it. I'd love to see a fourth option under Gamepad Mode "Input Enabled, UI Disabled", but I was wondering if anyone knew of a functional way to emulate that. I looked at the .Lua files from ADCUI, but it seemed wildly complex. Modding a solution unfortunately doesn't seem to be as simple as: if going to change to Gamepad UI, Don't. 😩

I know the Logitech G13 has been around much longer, has anyone come up with viable solutions?

• M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing! I gave it a go, but I can only get it to work in Automatic Mode, but it does work there at least. It still causes some flickering, specifically of the compass - and things get really weird when I try moving while immobilized.
    It might be too complex a thing for an add-on to handle.

I do hope ZOS implements some official simultaneous input at some point. It's a really helpful feature for disabled folk who have to get creative with their inputs sometimes.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, input and movement is nothing addons can change. As ZOs changed the input to automatically detect your last input mode (you press a key and it will change to keyboard + mouse even if in GAMEPAD mode) this might be the reason for your sudden change.
    Maybe your controller simulates a keyboard key press with that stick, or the game thinks it does. Are you able to see the correct GAMEPAD icon on the settings controls if you rebind them with your controller or does it show some keyboard key code there?

Edited by Baertram on January 28, 2022 9:48AM
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baertram wrote: »
    Yeah, input and movement is nothing addons can change. As ZOs changed the input to automatically detect your last input mode (you press a key and it will change to keyboard + mouse even if in GAMEPAD mode) this might be the reason for your sudden change.
    Maybe your controller simulates a keyboard key press with that stick, or the game thinks it does. Are you able to see the correct GAMEPAD icon on the settings controls if you rebind them with your controller or does it show some keyboard key code there?

Yeah, the thumbstick does simulate an Xbox controller, while I have everything else inputting keyboard inputs. I considered mapping all the keys to Xbox inputs, but my mouse unfortunately isn't capable of simulating Xbox inputs so any time I attacked I'd still see the icons rapidly swapping.

I did play more with it anyway, and found that there were some side effects I hadn't expected and really didn't like. Two big ones is not being able to move your character while in your inventory or the map - even when ADCUI was working well. That's just the nature of analog input it seems. So, in the meantime, I just reverted back to WASD inputs on the thumbstick. It doesn't have the fine-tuned movement of analog (or the novelty 😋), but it works well.

This one might really have to be something that is natively supported, and maybe one day it will be.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There exists some emulation software like reWASD or Xbox 360 Controller Emulator or Xpadder
    Maybe these could also be of any help if you think about emulating the controller stickst/keys somehow by using keyboard keys. Like if your controller emulates a keypress of key A as you move the stick, you could try to reemulate that key press as xbox controller sick movement or whatever. But I guess it's hard to do so as you cannot emulate the controller's sticks "speed" that way by pressing a key more or less.

Or maybe I did not understand in total what is not working properly :D
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I could use that to turn my mouse keys into Xbox controller inputs, I could remap my mouse to Joystick inputs that would be translated by it. I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not used any of the Azeron controllers (although I keep looking at them), but is there any option to set the analogue stick to be treated as a mouse?

If so that seems like the easiest way to solve the problem, because then the game will think you're using mouse and keyboard and should stick to that UI.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I've not used any of the Azeron controllers (although I keep looking at them), but is there any option to set the analogue stick to be treated as a mouse?

If so that seems like the easiest way to solve the problem, because then the game will think you're using mouse and keyboard and should stick to that UI.

The software for the Azeron can't handle that, but it intergrates well with reWASD according to the developers, so that might be something I could noddle around with.
  • Nakvili
    Nakvili
    ✭✭
    Hi! This addon can help you with disabling Gamepad UI. Works for me)
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1276-DisableControllerUI.html
    Edited by Nakvili on January 25, 2023 6:15PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is definitely a necro post but in case anyone has the same problem of a constantly shifting game pad UI...

Shut down Steam. The Steam program running in the background will interfere with ESO game pad detection.