The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO launcher not closing properly on Windows

not4us
not4us
✭✭✭
Since the previous thread got closed due to how old it was BUT the problem still persists (admitted by @ZOS_GinaBruno herself) I'm opening a new thread.
Have had this issue for YEARS, no matter how many times I have installed the game in different setups, different PC's, different versions of Windows...
I play through Steam and every time I run the game the launcher opens but once I log off from the game and close the launcher it doesn't really close, the process is still running and the icon stays on the taskbar but the launcher is not responsive and I have to open Task Manager and kill the Zenimax Launcher process.
This is a KNOWN issue and can't be that hard to fix properly. I literally have about 10 different launchers running at any given time and NONE does this, they all close when you close them (who would have thought...).
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is why I only use the Launcher on Patch Day....

Have you tried, with the Steam Client running, using a Shortcut directly to ESO64.EXE? Actually, you could just find the executable and double click it for a test. If that works, other than patching the game, you never have to use the launcher again.

Anyway, other than some news and marketing ads, the Launcher does not bring anything to the game play experience. I have not used the Launcher in years other than patching the game. Plus, I disabled the intro movie so getting into the game is significantly faster.
    Edited by Nestor on January 8, 2022 4:26PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Which is why I only use the Launcher on Patch Day....

Have you tried, with the Steam Client running, using a Shortcut directly to ESO64.EXE? Actually, you could just find the executable and double click it for a test. If that works, other than patching the game, you never have to use the launcher again.

Anyway, other than some news and marketing ads, the Launcher does not bring anything to the game play experience. I have not used the Launcher in years other than patching the game. Plus, I disabled the intro movie so getting into the game is significantly faster.

Yes, I can do that, but that is a workaround that shouldn't be needed when we are talking about a game and a company as successful as ESO and ZOS.
    Plus, doing it that way I need to enter the password every time, using the launcher from Steam the password gets saved.
    Thanks for the tip anyway!
  • NicGroover
    NicGroover
    ✭✭✭
    I am not on Steam.

I had reported the same problem several months ago and opened a ticket about it.

ZoS passed the quid to Windows and said it was Microsoft's fault. I have contacted Microsoft's technical department who cannot do anything about it as the problem only exists with TESO.

Finally my ticketa was closed with the killer phrase "we can't do anything" or rather "we don't want to do anything".

Since then I only use the launcher on patch days...

This is really unprofessional.
    Edited by NicGroover on January 10, 2022 1:19PM
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem (as I noted in the thread that was recently closed). Launcher stays open when I try to close it. But that supposedly open launcher won’t work to restart the game. I have to use the Task Manager to shut it down completely so I can start my next session.
  • LasrRed
    LasrRed
    ✭✭
    Same problem here too
  • Artanisul
    Artanisul
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same issue....but mine only recently started....about two weeks now. I wonder what could cause THAT?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For those experiencing issues with their ESO launcher not closing properly, we recommend starting a ticket with customer support if you've not done so yet.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TheDigitalAlchemist
    Same exact issue for months, ticket submitted, brief description below.

The launcher suffers from an application hang after closing the game client. (Launcher version 1.3.6.2265444)
    If the launcher is opened, but is NOT used to execute the game client, it will close and open as normal operation.
    If the launcher is opened, but IS used to execute the game client, upon exiting the game client... the launcher will operate allowing you to scroll the news, patch notes, the slideshow will continue to operate; though it now cannot be closed gracefully. This occurs when using the launcher ui to attempt to close as well as Windows UI (task bar). A force close via task manager or PS is required, after the force close the notification icon is still present in the task bar notification area, until you mouseover it.
    Edited by TheDigitalAlchemist on January 25, 2022 12:55PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @TheDigitalAlchemist

You are welcome to post your current ticket number so we can check on the status and give you an update.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    Good news people!
    I did submit a ticket (220210-003895) and I got the following response:
    This should be resolved in a future patch. In the meantime, if the launcher remains stuck when quitting, there could be a permissions issue. Try setting the launcher to run as an administrator. They should also make sure the launcher is added as an exception in their anti-virus.
    So ZOS is definitely aware of the issue and working on a fix which is great to hear.
    We know the permissions/av exceptions don't fix it but I guess we just have to wait now (hopefully not for too long)