Maintenance for the week of April 1:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 1

PvE vs PvP (Combat Lag)

darjobuno
darjobuno
✭✭✭
I use the same build in PvE and in PvP. I fight the exact same way using the exact same skills. I am attempting to figure out WHY is it that I can be fighting a mob of 30 AI enemies and not lagging at all. Yet when I get in a fight with 4 or 5 player characters suddenly I lag to the point of not being able to activate any of my skills. This includes fighting large mobs overland in Cyrodiil. It crosses my mind that perhaps these are cinema killing lagging skills being used by the players to purposefully ruin the competitiveness of PvP. If this is the case could we PLEASE Fix this issue. I recall some years ago PvP groups required members to run specific skills that did this very thing. If we are still dealing with this same issue some 3 years after I left the game and came back. What exactly is being done to improve this situation?
*** PLEASE NOTE*** This is not a debate with other players. This is not an attack on those who might be using these tactics though I would not be surprised to see players using it defending it's use in replies to this thread. This is me asking developers if things are going to be expected to change or if I should just shelf the idea of fair fights in Cyrodiil? ***NOTE TO GEEKS*** Yes my system is very capable of running all the game graphics in Ultra. With room to spare, liquid cooled processor, ram on board graphics, separate hard drive for operation and gaming software.
No longer swimming upstream
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same lag effects trials and zones with high active player counts, and emphasis on active as they all have to be fighting. The server begins to strain at all the calculations it has to do for each ability casted, and I know before CP 2.0 the old CP system was doing over 60 calculations per ability/light attack cast. And that was not counting proc sets so you're looking at around over 100 calculations per second per person playing well.

The devs are looking into fixing the architecture. They've tried everything to shine up the mud ball that is the current system, but after exhausting all options they're redoing the whole thing and have begun work recently.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/595442/eso-pvp-update-january-2022/p1
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do recall that Cyrodiil had a series of tests which included severely restricting player abilities to spam AOEs and restricting heals to group only. None of the changes substantially improved performance in ZOS' data.

If you've got specific skills in mind, you might as well name them.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you fight monsters by yourself all the server has to calculate is your position and the effects of your passives and ability casts. The NPCs you're fighting have their movement and actions scripted, thus the server always knows where they'll be and what actions they'll perform ahead of time and all it has to do is register your inputs and apply it to them. So it's mostly one way communication from the client to the server.
    But when you're playing with/around other players it's a round trip of client1-->server-->client2-->server-->client1. And it has to do that round trip of communication every server tick for every player in the fight to synch all the spontaneous player client positioning and effects together. Whether it's the netcode for end to end client communication or the raw processing power of the hardware, the servers just can't keep up.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on January 15, 2022 2:55AM
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There aren't any skills that noticeably decrease performance in Cyrodiil, that's why ZOS ran the tests a little while ago. The tests showed that performance didn't change at all when adding cooldowns to abilities.

The real answer as to why is just that the PvP servers are practically on life support at this point in the game's life. It's the same reason ZOS just announced they're restructuring the server architecture for PvP. The server in Cyrodiil has way more calculations to run on top of being under a heavier load from more player interactions.