The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Coming back after what feels like an eternity

Fusker
Fusker
✭✭
Hello All,

So the last time I played is before open Tamriel launched. I have a lvl 50 mag sorc I believe. I have not played in ages and do not remember any of the story. If I was to start again, what’s a good class/race combo to play as a solo character?

Thank you,
Edited by Fusker on January 3, 2022 11:20PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How challenging do you like leveling to be? If you’re looking for an easy leveling experience that’s versatile in any role, go with a Templar. Any race.

If you want more of a challenge go with a DK, Warden, Necro, or stam sorc. All of those are amazing at max level with the right build, but are a less than cakewalk leveling experience.

NB is mediocre. Super easy at low levels in mag and stam, not that versatile, and while bordering on OP in the right hands, they are hard to be good with, and most people playing them are only ok.

Race matters less than ever unless you’re really min-maxing. Even “bad” races for a build parse less than 10k behind the ideal in most cases.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Fusker
    Fusker
    ✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    How challenging do you like leveling to be? If you’re looking for an easy leveling experience that’s versatile in any role, go with a Templar. Any race.

If you want more of a challenge go with a DK, Warden, Necro, or stam sorc. All of those are amazing at max level with the right build, but are a less than cakewalk leveling experience.

NB is mediocre. Super easy at low levels in mag and stam, not that versatile, and while bordering on OP in the right hands, they are hard to be good with, and most people playing them are only ok.

Race matters less than ever unless you’re really min-maxing. Even “bad” races for a build parse less than 10k behind the ideal in most cases.

In my older years now, I am looking for a more relaxing time. I want to really understand the story I flew through. So would a Templar be good for me? If you had to pick a race for one, what would you do?

Also, is the sorc still considered really good at everything as I may try to play her again eventually heh.

Thank you!

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both sorc and templar are fine and relatively easy. Dark elf would be a decent race, because it would allow you to switch from mag to stam and still be one of, if not the top race for either.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fusker wrote: »

In my older years now, I am looking for a more relaxing time. I want to really understand the story I flew through. So would a Templar be good for me? If you had to pick a race for one, what would you do?

Also, is the sorc still considered really good at everything as I may try to play her again eventually heh.

Thank you!

Stamina templar is probably the single easiest character to play that is strong at all levels with effective heals, access to most buffs and a very simple skill bar. Using only 2 or 3 skills and one bar you can do all the story content so it's also very accessible for a variety of age related problems.

Sorc is still strong. You may need to play with the skills and gear choices as much has changed there.

For the story none of this really matters too much. The "play as you want" mantra is fairly true in overland content and there are very few places race really matters (no CP cyrodiil for example) because once you have CP you can achieve the same balance with different CP setups for all but the high end meta and score chasing crowd.

Taking time to do the story is IMHO more about chilling and not rushing than class and builds.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Fusker
    Fusker
    ✭✭
    I am not sure if I should go magicka or stamina - is one better than the other or both really effective?
  • thomas1970b16_ESO
    thomas1970b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    For levelling, go Altmer Magicka Templar.
  • Fusker
    Fusker
    ✭✭
    For levelling, go Altmer Magicka Templar.

This is the way I went, so far so good heh. Only have died to fall damage so far.
    Edited by Fusker on January 5, 2022 6:07PM