The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fargrave

MerguezMan
MerguezMan
✭✭✭✭
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Bearers_of_Fargrave

So, Fragrave is an Oblivion plane created by some of the first daedras, which has currently no ruler, as they're gone or dead ?
That's intriguing.

Could it be Jyggalag's realm before he was cursed ? Why don't the other daedras try to take on the place since then ?
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pondering writing a fan lore explanation on why the other Daedric princes do not invade that realm. Since you brought it up, I will leave my thoughts here:

Fargrave is a very small realm of Oblivion compared to the ones associated with a prince. It is also governed by a set of rules, called the Stricture (not to be confused with "Scripture" - there are some mispronunciations in the VO still), which the Daedra are compelled to abide by. It appears that these rules are not written down and not quite objective either, but rather subjective, which is why some Daedra end up violating them by trying to find loopholes around them or simply making honest mistakes, such as violating a binding agreement over a misunderstanding on whether a mortal is still "a mortal" even in undeath. Despite this the Stricture is very real and tangible to an extent, and this is why I think the Daedric princes do not try to invade Fargrave.
    Due to Fargrave being ruled by the Stricture combined with it being so small in comparison, the Stricture can, on such a short range, overpower even the Daedric princes. Think of it as a very very very long lever - whatever the Stricture is, it prevents the Daedric princes from trying to invade, but cannot do a whole lot else and has only a very small range of influence. With Fargrave also being seen as useful despite its restrictions, it simply isn't worth fighting over, and trying to invade other realms by other means than marching through Fargrave will always be easier.
    Alternatively, it's also possible that due to it connecting several Daedric realms to each other, the influence of the different princes ends up perfectly canceling each other out so that no prince ends up having any influence there.

As for the skeletons, perhaps they are the "earthbones" of Fargrave and gave their life to establish the Stricture like the Aedra did for Mundus?

Eitherway, I think this is a great addition to the lore of the Elder Scrolls, potentially even the greatest addition ZOS has made. Fascinating concept and as far as I can tell a brilliant execution as well.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as fargrave came into the picture, it’s lore just drew me in and got me thinking of a lot of questions about how Fargrave came into fruition (the bearers of fargrave lore entry was a good read.) but something comes to mind.

What comes to my mind may end up being a “Very Long Stretch” but I would like to think of one theory: That Fargrave is a Potential Result of Lorkhans Punishment as whatever remained of lorkhan afterwards, in that lore entry, was “exiled to wander through creation.”

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Lorkhan
    Specific sentence in bold: After the world materialized, myths hold that Lorkhan was killed, mutilated, or at least separated from his divine center, the Heart of Lorkhan (known as Sep's "hunger" to the Redguards and Shor's Heart to the Nords), in an event sometimes called the shattering of Lorkhan. This separation, which purportedly took place in Tamriel, is typically called a punishment, but stories often suggest Lorkhan submitted to it voluntarily. Whatever remained of Lorkhan afterward was exiled to wander through creation. As the impetus for creating the Mundus, Lorkhan is at the center of the great ideological schism between the Elven and human perspectives on the event, which is known as the Sundering to Elves, and thus opinions of him vary dramatically in Tamriel.

The notion that Whatever remained of lorkhan was exiled to wander through creation as an impetus for Nirns creation, some context is needed as it may not have properly specified “how” the remains could be exiled to wander to my knowledge. I thought a bit about how the giant skeletal remains in fargrave could be the “proverbial remains” of lorkhan, but even I find it to be highly debatable.

Edit: just thought about something, if Lorkhan was dismembered, wouldn’t each part have to have some kind of caretaker(s) (regarding what was left which was exiled to “wander creation”) in which the skeletons of fargrave could very well be the caretakers of one of Lorkhans dismembered parts?
    Edited by Skullstachio on October 3, 2021 2:20AM
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Saxhleel
    Saxhleel
    ✭✭✭
    Fargrave is actually the realm created by Miekul Kirckbried, the Toddhead, after creating moon sugar and ingesting it.
    "What a fool you are. I'm a god. How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. No Recall or Intervention can work in this place. Come. Lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy" — Dagoth Ur

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daedra Dossier: Cold-Flame Atronach by Denogorath the Dread Archivist says:

"I scanned over 37,000 different planes, chaos realms, and pocket realities before I found what I was looking for..."

The existence of all those overlooked little places suggests that Daedric Princes are not particularly motivated to capture other realms of Oblivion.

The Mundus clearly has an attraction that other parts of Oblivion do not.
    PC EU
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    Could it be Jyggalag's realm before he was cursed ? Why don't the other daedras try to take on the place since then ?
    Unlikely to be Jyggalag's realm for two reasons:
    • Jyggalag's realm is quite likely Mytheria, whereas Fargrave is... Fargrave.
    • The Shivering Isles is Jyggalag's realm. Or was. In the same way Jyggalag was cursed to be Sheogorath, so his realm was cursed to be the Shivering Isles. Daedra and their realms are intrinsically connected.

I think the reason other daedra haven't tried to take over is likely because of how the Scripture works. Only mortals are outside the Scripture, so the only way Dagon could possibly take over Fargrave is by using the Waking Flame.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Bearers_of_Fargrave

So, Fragrave is an Oblivion plane created by some of the first daedras, which has currently no ruler, as they're gone or dead ?
    That's intriguing.

Is it Lyg?
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The heads look like Mehrunes Dagon.

Did multiple Dagons kill each other?
  • prof-dracko
    prof-dracko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    The heads look like Mehrunes Dagon.

Did multiple Dagons kill each other?

Fargrave could be part of Lyg, where Dagon was apparently born. Maybe whatever he is does the baby shark thing where all the newborns kill each other until only one or two are left.
  • Sinlar
    Sinlar
    ✭✭✭
    From all indications, Fargrave appears to be in fact the celestial palanquin or traveling mobile home of some ancient being.
    Possibly from before the Ada/Et-Ada division. So far there are very few clues as to what/who that being may have been.

Lyg is recorded as being one of the Magna Ge, and so would have a realm similar to the Daedric princes in that it would be self contained/composed of Lyg and thus Lyg would still be definitely present. What Dagon experienced in the "Belly of Lyg", would be similar to what Trinimac experienced in the "Belly of Boethiah".

Lorkhan/Lorkhaj is a much different situation.

The remnants of the body are still very much roaming the Mundus, as the Moons of Nirn and the lunar lattice.

The heart/divine center is both impregnated into Nirn " To provide it with the measure of it's existence", as the Anuic aspect.
    And as the doom drum heartbeat of the moon beast in the void, as the Padomaic aspect.

There is still a large question in this ones mind as to whether that division in that form was intended, or is the result of some unknown betrayal.

Irregardless, it does not appear that any aspects of LHK are involved in Fargrave, at least so far.

What Fargrave does appear to be though, is a potential gateway to other places that were previously unreachable by all except the most skilled mages.