The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What I see above my target's head 90% of the time in current META

EmperorIl
EmperorIl
✭✭✭✭
(5487)(1432)
*343 (4364)
*154 (435)
(2342)(1436)
(7894)*873
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What does this represent for those of us who don't use all those popup numbers in the ui?
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One in () typically means that it is eating at a damage shield.
    *XYZ are damage reduction from blocking or a set that increases damage reduction
    The 2487 would be normal damage.

That is my guess based on what I see as a healer or tank in PVE content.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need to juice up your orange
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One in () typically means that it is eating at a damage shield.
    *XYZ are damage reduction from blocking or a set that increases damage reduction
    The 2487 would be normal damage.

That is my guess based on what I see as a healer or tank in PVE content.

pretty much this

(number) is your dmg absorbed by a shield

*number is your dmg after being blocked

number with no modification is your dmg (this number is affected by resistance/dmg reduction, but no clear indication of how much its affecting your "base" number)

number! (with exclamation) is crit dmg (can also be seen in combination with above)

the numbers are also color coded as well
    white = direct dmg
    orange = dot dmg
    yellowish = crit dmg

(these values are base game dmg numbers, assuming you are not using an addon that alternates display of the dmg numbers)

i also use combat addons to track this kind of stuff too (combat metrics for pve primarily, and foundry tactical combat (only for the scrolling combat log for both pvp and pve) to get a better picture of incoming/outgoing dmg/healing than the death recap or quickly check dmg done/taken with attack
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    What does this represent for those of us who don't use all those popup numbers in the ui?

Basically just griping on the amount of mitigation there is right now, it is just silly at times. Even dropping oils on people and seeing it do only three digit damage is just lol.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EmperorIl wrote: »
    Basically just griping on the amount of mitigation there is right now, it is just silly at times. Even dropping oils on people and seeing it do only three digit damage is just lol.
    The power ceiling for mitigation and healing far exceeds that of damage right now. Even a partially optimized group that stacks heals and uses Siege Shield will trivially counter most siege damage. Optimized groups struggle to kill each other, even in BGs we see matches going to timer with the winning side barely having 300 points.

Heal stacking breaks PvP.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Optimized groups struggle to kill each other, even in BGs we see matches going to timer with the winning side barely having 300 points.

Just played a similar game this morning. Each team had a strong healer.

Winning team had 135 points.

CAov85p.png
    PC NA
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    The power ceiling for mitigation and healing far exceeds that of damage right now. Even a partially optimized group that stacks heals and uses Siege Shield will trivially counter most siege damage. Optimized groups struggle to kill each other, even in BGs we see matches going to timer with the winning side barely having 300 points.

Heal stacking breaks PvP.

I've had a good few matches like that, I never recall a deathmatch that was not won by a team prior to ending before this patch lol.

And when I am dropping these oils there is no siege shield, straight up only doing 3-digit damage and shield a lot of the time, but yes the healing is over the top as well. Giving literally every player the ability to cross heal is the dumbest thing in this game. I really miss the trinity when it comes to crap like this.
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    (5487)(1432)
    *343 (4364)
    dodge
    *154 (435)
    dodge
    (2342)(1436)
    dodge
    dodge
    dodge
    (7894)*873

How did I forget the other one?!?!
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Active damage mitigation costs resources to use. It works? Good, because it should.

You can still kill the player that uses active defences, but you need to apply stronger pressure than he can outsustain. In teamfights that generally means identifying the weakest links and group-pressuring them until they die.
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    Active damage mitigation costs resources to use. It works? Good, because it should.

You can still kill the player that uses active defences, but you need to apply stronger pressure than he can outsustain. In teamfights that generally means identifying the weakest links and group-pressuring them until they die.

There is this thing called balance....games use it to balance damage with mitigation. This game does not do it well.
    Edited by EmperorIl on December 20, 2021 5:12AM
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you noticed that these tanks are now starting to form mini ball groups and travel in packs of 5-6 now? Usually they got at least one tanky healer in the group too. These fellas are normally playing solo, but now more and more often they are teaming up and its driving me nuts. Same people that will complain to me about teaming up on solo players are now teaming up on solo players themselves. I really really don't like this meta. The normal strategy of zerging the tanks until they die doesn't work at all when there is 6 of them healing each other. It isn't balanced in 1v1s and the balance is even worse when they team up.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • Daffen
    Daffen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you noticed that these tanks are now starting to form mini ball groups and travel in packs of 5-6 now? Usually they got at least one tanky healer in the group too. These fellas are normally playing solo, but now more and more often they are teaming up and its driving me nuts. Same people that will complain to me about teaming up on solo players are now teaming up on solo players themselves. I really really don't like this meta. The normal strategy of zerging the tanks until they die doesn't work at all when there is 6 of them healing each other. It isn't balanced in 1v1s and the balance is even worse when they team up.

Experienced players form groups because 1vx is almost impossible compared to before, you can maybe win a 1v5 but it is alot harder and sometimes impossible. Most likely you will just get zerged by 10+ people anyway and die no matter what. So we form groups of 2-5 players so we are actually able to kill players. We kill solo players because we know they would do the same (except the ones we know are friendly). I have be over 4k hours in this game and i dont need to build tanky to survive multiple players with less experience (magplar with kynmarcher + olorime + magma)
  • Einstein_
    Einstein_
    ✭✭✭
    Daffen wrote: »

Experienced players form groups because 1vx is almost impossible compared to before, you can maybe win a 1v5 but it is alot harder and sometimes impossible. Most likely you will just get zerged by 10+ people anyway and die no matter what. So we form groups of 2-5 players so we are actually able to kill players. We kill solo players because we know they would do the same (except the ones we know are friendly). I have be over 4k hours in this game and i dont need to build tanky to survive multiple players with less experience (magplar with kynmarcher + olorime + magma)

"i dont need a deffensiv build"

runs magplar with kynmarcher in heavyarmor and propaply a restro staff/eclipse :)

not saying its a bad build, but its [snip] tanky

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 20, 2021 2:44PM
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Optimized groups struggle to kill each other, even in BGs we see matches going to timer with the winning side barely having 300 points.

CAov85p.png

It was not like this at the start of the patch but 90% of BGs are starting to become like this for me. It's really crazy as most of the time it's 15min time's up that ends the game.

BGs (on my experience this later this patch) is a contest on which team got more sweaty players.

I say ZOS should nerf mitigation modifiers (prot) and/or healing but that would be more punishing for the newbies so yeah... IDK.
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    (5487)(1432)
    *343 (4364)
    *154 (435)
    (2342)(1436)
    (7894)*873

I'll add something like this, lol.

(Dk on corrosive) ZOS we need nerfs please!

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

• xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We kill solo players because we know they would do the same
    Being zerged down in an open world zerg game is to be expected, but the attitude of these sweaty groups that they are still outnumbered skill heroes as they 6v1 the "zergling" in an empty field definitely creates toxicity.

Edit: not directed at you or anyone in this thread, rather several recent incidents with smallscalers getting salty that I dared play Cyrodiil instead of standing there watching them flip the keep.
    Edited by xylena_lazarow on December 20, 2021 4:05PM
  • Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭

CAov85p.png

Yeah that was bad and it shouldn't have even been that high. I was the 0/5 templar on green. He's in pariah/hconq. Pure solo setup, was expecting to need all my own self heals and tankiness from not actually playing any high "mmr" bgs. Only group heal was HTD. And main damage was jabs spam. The 0/7 guy kept asking in group chat what was going on.

And even then barely anybody died except under negates.

As an aside the mmr is based purely on bgs played right? Is each character counted separately and does it ever reset? Because I thought it did but haven't been on that guy for like 6 months and even then barely ever did bgs.
    Edited by Vizirith on December 20, 2021 4:17PM
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vizirith wrote: »
    As an aside the mmr is based purely on bgs played right? Is each character counted separately and does it ever reset? Because I thought it did but haven't been on that guy for like 6 months and even then barely ever did bgs.
    Maybe they "break the rules" in order to keep the queue moving when there aren't enough players queueing?
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭

CAov85p.png

Yeah that was bad and it shouldn't have even been that high. I was the 0/5 templar on green. He's in pariah/hconq. Pure solo setup, was expecting to need all my own self heals and tankiness from not actually playing any high "mmr" bgs. Only group heal was HTD. And main damage was jabs spam. The 0/7 guy kept asking in group chat what was going on.

And even then barely anybody died except under negates.

Yep, based on match played.

It’s sad that pop is so low right now (at least on ps/na), maybe 50% of my matches the past few days are about 2 persons each team until around half time. And sometimes one team will not even fill at the end of the match.

• Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they "break the rules" in order to keep the queue moving when there aren't enough players queueing?

The queue popped fairly quickly though. I was thinking it was a fluke. I only have 18 wins on that toon via achievements so at most I probably have 50 or less total bgs spaced out over 3 years (first bg achievement).
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The queue popped fairly quickly though. I was thinking it was a fluke. I only have 18 wins on that toon via achievements so at most I probably have 50 or less total bgs spaced out over 3 years (first bg achievement).
    It sure is weird, wish we had more transparency from ZOS on how the queue worked. That screenshot though pretty much sums up why the BGs population is so low. Another way that heal stacking breaks PvP.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget their ganking NB friend who will try to take out the players using siege on the ball group.

Best way to kill a ball group is with siege equipment. To often I see players running into ball groups only to wonder why they died. Simply because you ran into the ball group. Back away, setup siege (the more the merrier) and go at it until the ball group dies.
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget their ganking NB friend who will try to take out the players using siege on the ball group.

Best way to kill a ball group is with siege equipment. To often I see players running into ball groups only to wonder why they died. Simply because you ran into the ball group. Back away, setup siege (the more the merrier) and go at it until the ball group dies.

Extremely situational though, especially when they are all wearing Snow Treaders and stacking swift and/or Rapids. When they are more mobile good luck getting that siege on them with the delay between aiming and firing.
  • Daffen
    Daffen
    ✭✭✭✭

Extremely situational though, especially when they are all wearing Snow Treaders and stacking swift and/or Rapids. When they are more mobile good luck getting that siege on them with the delay between aiming and firing.

Meh, just use dark convergence to pull people in the back making them stuck for 5 seconds in prime time lag. Then use plaguebreak to literally one-shot them if they are purging.

Speaking from experience of playing in a ballgroup at prime time (45k plaguebreak multiple times, break free 4 times and standing still with snow threaders after getting pulled by dark convergence)
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Meh, just use dark convergence to pull people in the back making them stuck for 5 seconds in prime time lag. Then use plaguebreak to literally one-shot them if they are purging.
    This only "works" if the lag is bad enough and it's one of the lesser ballgroups prone to such mistakes. The stronger ballgroups are literally never going to be stuck inside a meatbag or negate long enough to matter, and any dot siege you throw at them is trivially outhealed, if you can even hit them when they move so quickly and are immune to soft cc.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭

CAov85p.png
    None of those teams healstacked though. To me it's obvious to see that "Diamond rank" healers were put in a "Gold rank" match. iIt's a 15 minute long match and there's several Damage Dealers (DD) with under 1m dmg done. Obviously nobody will die. Green had 2 such players, why that team had 0 kills. Orange had a 4m dmg done DDs, but those numbers are usually achieved on AoE DoT builds, which are fluff dmg until you have more than one or you have strong burst teammates, which they didn't have with another sub-1m-dmg-done DD.

This would also explain why the queue was short for the lower rank players. The healers were probably in queue for 10+ minutes until their MMR depreciated enough to be elegible for the match in the picture. Could also be high skilled on players on new characters.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magio_ wrote: »
    None of those teams healstacked though.
    I guess I was counting the 100k heal guys as non-trivial cross healing, but either way, does this look like a healthy BGs meta and queue to you? Cyro too is full of stalemated fights where tryhards can't kill other tryhards.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of those teams healstacked though.
    I guess I was counting the 100k heal guys as non-trivial cross healing, but either way, does this look like a healthy BGs meta and queue to you? Cyro too is full of stalemated fights where tryhards can't kill other tryhards.
    Do you consider players doing 511k and 440k Dmg in a full 15 minute match tryhards? Of course those healers capable of doing 2m+ in 15 mins ate that damage for breakfast.

Look bro, all I'm saying is that pointing at that particular BG Screenshot and saying "See! Healstacking is a problem" is inaccurate and even detracts from your argument. It's just a case of High MMR healers in a low MMR match.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Look bro, all I'm saying is that pointing at that particular BG Screenshot and saying "See! Healstacking is a problem" is inaccurate and even detracts from your argument. It's just a case of High MMR healers in a low MMR match.
    Are you trying to say that heal stacking isn't a problem, or jump on me over a technicality? What do you think happens when healers like that are stacked 6 out of 12 in a tryhard Cyro group? I'm just trying to agree with the OP that a meta dominated by healing and tanking is slow, stale, and driving players away from the game. And again, do you think that screenshot is a sign of a healthy BGs environment?