The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Frost DPS based set ideas.

• ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about this? A frost set that has a 5th piece bonus that does the following:

5th piece: Upon entering combat, you are enveloped in an icy aura that surrounds you for 5 meters. Enemies that enter the aura have their movement and attack speed reduced by 50% and become brittle, making them take 5% more critical damage from all sources.

That set idea sounds pretty obnoxious in pvp. A 50% snare in melee range and gcd nerf is really badly unbalanced. Minor brittle is 10%. Not 5% and shouldn't really have any other sources than from chilled applying with a frost staff equipped.

Thought minor was 5% and the major brittle was 10? Either way, it would only be obnoxious if you fought within melee range. Part of that process would be knowing what people to fight and what people not to fight. We already do that in PVP with other builds. For instance, I don't engage high HP (likely heavily armored) targets with my bow ganker without my ultimate up because I know I can't kill them. With a set like this, you just need to know that they have it and to engage them at range.

major brittle is 20% not 10%. it would be obnoxious because you can't escape from it. it's a persistant aoe around the caster that slows your speed by 50%. once they catch up to you, you can't run.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whiskey_JG wrote: »
    Honestly, I genuinely feel that frost builds should be given more love.

These last few patches we have seen incremental changes to frost builds that slowly make it ever so viable. Currently Brittledens not only are viable but also produce decent amount of dps with the change in Frost reach. However, we are still seeing raid groups prefer to put brittle duty on the OT (ofc a lower uptime but still not bad). By creating a frost specific mythic, it would Brittledens a lot more effective and relevant in terms of a raid role.

DK provides Zen debuff, Necro provides Ele catalyst (along with colossus) and Warden would provide minor brittle.
    Also in conjunction to this I would say that most ultimates need a reform. One form should always be to provide buffs to your group.

Also out of the options raised above, I think the Mythic item would be the most appropriate even in terms of lore.

yep, while it has come far, the most important things we need for the archetype are more powerful frost skills in general. this includes doing things like the Frost Shalks suggestion along with reworking arctic blast into a damage and offensive stun skill that is worth the cost in pve and pvp, that would also require a buff to one of the magic scaling burst heals in green balance too, another idea which i would like to see is a complete dps rework of unstable wall of frost. since the shield is fine and all for blockade, but as DPS we get screwed over with a larger cost and an effect that is inferior to fire EVEN before engulfing and encratis. We managed to get the passive support for our playstyle via glacial presence and kinda through minor brittle, so now it just comes down to actual active skills.

And then, to keep it fresh, we need more item sets as well. we still have only got iceheart as the only single frost monster helmet compared to the 9 other fire based monster helmets. even shock only has 2, they need to get on the bandwagon and just make more frost and shock monster helmets. we need a full dps focused frost helmet. and something like the Nunatak or Icejaw suggestions would work pretty well for this in my opinion, we still deal less damage than our fire based counterparts. it's time we caught up. i figured throwing out ideas and pinging people like @ZOS_Liforce (if you see this are you able to confirm that you still have sets planned into the future for this?) for this would be beneficial since liforce brought up that they were aware of the issue and wanted to do something about it. I hope that they and the team have seen this post and maybe got some inspiration or already had cool ideas for helping our playstyle further.

I really hope they didn't only plan Frostbite, Hrothgar's Chill and Thundercaller as the only sets to remedy this massive issue. since we still have this to show the pretty big disparity between them.
    unknown.png

note that this doesn't show elemental type sets that deal with frost fire and shock, only stuff that is either mono or bi elemental such as netch's touch or ice furnace. it also includes non dps based sets like frozen watcher and embershield because they deal the specific types of damage we're talking about.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on October 1, 2021 2:11PM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Whiskey_JG
    Whiskey_JG
    ✭✭✭

These last few patches we have seen incremental changes to frost builds that slowly make it ever so viable. Currently Brittledens not only are viable but also produce decent amount of dps with the change in Frost reach. However, we are still seeing raid groups prefer to put brittle duty on the OT (ofc a lower uptime but still not bad). By creating a frost specific mythic, it would Brittledens a lot more effective and relevant in terms of a raid role.

DK provides Zen debuff, Necro provides Ele catalyst (along with colossus) and Warden would provide minor brittle.
    Also in conjunction to this I would say that most ultimates need a reform. One form should always be to provide buffs to your group.

Also out of the options raised above, I think the Mythic item would be the most appropriate even in terms of lore.

yep, while it has come far, the most important things we need for the archetype are more powerful frost skills in general. this includes doing things like the Frost Shalks suggestion along with reworking arctic blast into a damage and offensive stun skill that is worth the cost in pve and pvp, that would also require a buff to one of the magic scaling burst heals in green balance too, another idea which i would like to see is a complete dps rework of unstable wall of frost. since the shield is fine and all for blockade, but as DPS we get screwed over with a larger cost and an effect that is inferior to fire EVEN before engulfing and encratis. We managed to get the passive support for our playstyle via glacial presence and kinda through minor brittle, so now it just comes down to actual active skills.

And then, to keep it fresh, we need more item sets as well. we still have only got iceheart as the only single frost monster helmet compared to the 9 other fire based monster helmets. even shock only has 2, they need to get on the bandwagon and just make more frost and shock monster helmets. we need a full dps focused frost helmet. and something like the Nunatak or Icejaw suggestions would work pretty well for this in my opinion, we still deal less damage than our fire based counterparts. it's time we caught up. i figured throwing out ideas and pinging people like @ZOS_Liforce (if you see this are you able to confirm that you still have sets planned into the future for this?) for this would be beneficial since liforce brought up that they were aware of the issue and wanted to do something about it. I hope that they and the team have seen this post and maybe got some inspiration or already had cool ideas for helping our playstyle further.

I really hope they didn't only plan Frostbite, Hrothgar's Chill and Thundercaller as the only sets to remedy this massive issue. since we still have this to show the pretty big disparity between them.
    unknown.png

note that this doesn't show elemental type sets that deal with frost fire and shock, only stuff that is either mono or bi elemental such as netch's touch or ice furnace. it also includes non dps based sets like frozen watcher and embershield because they deal the specific types of damage we're talking about.

Yeah the disparity in the amount of sets that buff fire vs other elements is really big. At the moment any magdd will still opt for full dps rather than go for utility. So if Zos really wants to diversify and not have everyone run inferno staff they should provide more sets that synergize with the minority elements. I would even add that a mythic that provides similar buffs to lightning would also be beneficial. But the overall damage output needs to be within 5% of each other
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

unknown.png

Yeah the disparity in the amount of sets that buff fire vs other elements is really big. At the moment any magdd will still opt for full dps rather than go for utility. So if Zos really wants to diversify and not have everyone run inferno staff they should provide more sets that synergize with the minority elements. I would even add that a mythic that provides similar buffs to lightning would also be beneficial. But the overall damage output needs to be within 5% of each other

it's really important that we get more sets. the ratio of fire to frost and shock sets is really frustrating. because it really shows that for a long time they just haven't really cared about this. the iceheart example is simply the most annoying though. because they SERIOUSLY haven't made another frost based helmet since they INTRODUCED THE SYSTEM YEARS AGO.
  • Whiskey_JG
    Whiskey_JG
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, this patch im seeing a lot more brittledens in end game trials, if such a helmet would be included it would seriously increase their overall competitiveness and appeal for trifectas
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, this patch im seeing a lot more brittledens in end game trials, if such a helmet would be included it would seriously increase their overall competitiveness and appeal for trifectas

It's great to see that they can be considered now. But the archetype definitely needs more support to help flesh it out. Item sets and more viable dmg skills are needed to help this archetype really feel comfortable.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like charged outparses precise now a bit on some builds. Damn I'd love nunatak/the crown of the snow prince.
  • brandon.ayers86b14_ESO
    One can only hope for some of these changes
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see three ice themed mythic, one for healing, tanking, and DPS.

Take the Snow-throat five piece reduce the crit add the effect converts all magic damage to frost damage

ICE MYTHIC DPS

1 - layering two ICE AOE abilities create a synergy useable only by the caster, using the synergy summons a giant ice wraith that sends an ice storm out from its location growing to 12m in diameter over (X) seconds and explodes dealing (X) frost damage or immobilizing enemies

ICE MYTHIC TANK

1 - With a frost staff equipped - every (X) second out of combat creates a frost wall stack increasing resistances by (X) max stacks - while in combat - light and heavy attacks chip away the ice wall leaving an icey synergy on the ground, activating the synergy does (x) frost damage in 5M radius applying the chilled status effect to enemies and minor protection to allies for (X) seconds - in a prolonged encounter the amount of stacks the player entered combat with will be refreshed every 10 seconds if the wall was lost or not

ICE MYTHIC HEALER

1 - When a restoration is paired with a frost enchant or a frost staff is paired with the powered trait - casting an area of effect skill creates a wondering ice wraith that will wonder randomly for 20 seconds - players who run through ice wraith gain one of the following buffs for (X) seconds plus 4% healing taken, 5% damage mitigation, +200 magic, stam, and health recovery for (x) seconds- enemies who touch a wraith are immobilized if they can not be immobilized 1200 magica is returned to the player
    Edited by acw37162 on November 29, 2021 7:31PM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »
    Would like to see three ice themed mythic, one for healing, tanking, and DPS.

Take the Snow-throat five piece reduce the crit add the effect converts all magic damage to frost damage

ICE MYTHIC DPS

1 - layering two ICE AOE abilities create a synergy useable only by the caster, using the synergy summons a giant ice wraith that sends an ice storm out from its location growing to 12m in diameter over (X) seconds and explodes dealing (X) frost damage or immobilizing enemies

ICE MYTHIC TANK

1 - With a frost staff equipped - every (X) second out of combat creates a frost wall stack increasing resistances by (X) max stacks - while in combat - light and heavy attacks chip away the ice wall leaving an icey synergy on the ground, activating the synergy does (x) frost damage in 5M radius applying the chilled status effect to enemies and minor protection to allies for (X) seconds - in a prolonged encounter the amount of stacks the player entered combat with will be refreshed every 10 seconds if the wall was lost or not

ICE MYTHIC HEALER

1 - When a restoration is paired with a frost enchant or a frost staff is paired with the powered trait - casting an area of effect skill creates a wondering ice wraith that will wonder randomly for 20 seconds - players who run through ice wraith gain one of the following buffs for (X) seconds plus 4% healing taken, 5% damage mitigation, +200 magic, stam, and health recovery for (x) seconds- enemies who touch a wraith are immobilized if they can not be immobilized 1200 magica is returned to the player

i'll take any more frost dps sets tbh as long as they're decent. if they're bad we'll argue for them to be buffed.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been brewing up more ideas. it'd be interesting to have another frost based set, but this time, more similar to elfbane. maybe not specifically like elfbane. but perhaps something duration based. it'd certainly help out the frost ultimates at least.
  • brandon.ayers86b14_ESO
    Something like nerien'eth or kjalnar but frost would be nice
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As nice as it’s been been having an ice spammable through Frost Reach, realistically I’m still barely able to use it... this is like Screaming Cliff Racer all over again. In ESO having cleave damage is super important for most situations, so I end up going with Force Pulse.

Force Shock (base ability) should gain the AoE component from the current Force Pulse morph.

Force Pulse should become Elemental Pulse, and cause all of the damage to be based on your Destruction staff element. All three strikes and the AoE component will become either Frost, Fire, or Shock Damage.

Imo that alone would be a huge buff to elemental builds since there is still no true basic spammable for ice/shock builds.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    As nice as it’s been been having an ice spammable through Frost Reach, realistically I’m still barely able to use it... this is like Screaming Cliff Racer all over again. In ESO having cleave damage is super important for most situations, so I end up going with Force Pulse.

Force Shock (base ability) should gain the AoE component from the current Force Pulse morph.

Force Pulse should become Elemental Pulse, and cause all of the damage to be based on your Destruction staff element. All three strikes and the AoE component will become either Frost, Fire, or Shock Damage.

Imo that alone would be a huge buff to elemental builds since there is still no true basic spammable for ice/shock builds.

i think that frost reach is fine as is. but it'd be lovely to just have more skill options in general. we just have so few even still. sets are still hugely lacking. especially monster sets (which is what this post is about)
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on December 7, 2021 3:04PM
  • Solteran
    Solteran
    Soul Shriven
    Really liking some of these sets! I feel the Mythic Item would be mad under powered though, but the monster set version is decent.

Also love the Snowthroat Blizzard!! Would equip that right now!!! B)
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i think that frost reach is fine as is. but it'd be lovely to just have more skill options in general. we just have so few even still. sets are still hugely lacking. especially monster sets (which is what this post is about)

It looks like they’re going in the direction of making frost DPS a thing, so we may have a chance at frost damage dealer sets :smile: Frostbite was a great start, and with procs critting something like Icy Conjuror has decent damage now
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It looks like they’re going in the direction of making frost DPS a thing, so we may have a chance at frost damage dealer sets :smile: Frostbite was a great start, and with procs critting something like Icy Conjuror has decent damage now

yeah, blackwood and waking flame seem like a promising start. but not seeing anything for us specifically during deadlands is worrying. though it doesn't seem like they're done. and warden has needed to be looked at for years now. so i think there may actually be a patch coming up for both of them soon. just speculation though. conjuror is kinda bad for pve even still. beaten by other sets like pillar very easily since it's more dps to just use pillar. which is also aoe.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on December 7, 2021 10:07PM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the datamined q1 dlc dungeons supposedly being the "coral aerie" and "rivenyard" there seems to be a heavy theme of water. This year seems like it is more possibly open for more frost and shock based sets. I hope my ideas were helpful inspiration if any of the developers saw them. Here's hoping :)
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on January 18, 2022 6:12PM
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    these are really great ideas. the only thing thats missing is something that gives utility to frost like maybe hitting enemies with a frost ability drains a small amount of stamina or something.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sparxlost wrote: »
    these are really great ideas. the only thing thats missing is something that gives utility to frost like maybe hitting enemies with a frost ability drains a small amount of stamina or something.

thanks! we really need more frost set variety and especially more so with monster helms.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Penetrating Chill

2) Critical Rating
    3) Weapon / Spell Damage
    4) Critical Rating
    5) Whenever you apply the Chilled status effect to an enemy, they receive a stack of Penetrating Chill, increasing your weapon and Spell damage by 25 while attacking them. Penetrating Chill lasts for 10 seconds and can stack up to 20 times. Upon reaching 20 stacks, Penetrating Chill will last 10 seconds, and then explode, dealing (Big Damooge) in a radius around them.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    Penetrating Chill

2) Critical Rating
    3) Weapon / Spell Damage
    4) Critical Rating
    5) Whenever you apply the Chilled status effect to an enemy, they receive a stack of Penetrating Chill, increasing your weapon and Spell damage by 25 while attacking them. Penetrating Chill lasts for 10 seconds and can stack up to 20 times. Upon reaching 20 stacks, Penetrating Chill will last 10 seconds, and then explode, dealing (Big Damooge) in a radius around them.

I like it. combines galerion with yandir into a cool set. i would be happy to see this, but it'd need to be a nice size damage proc to be with it i'd think.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    not sure if i'm a fan of glacial guardian. it seems like it's just a better version of frozen watcher in basically every way, and we also haven't seen a new frost dps monster helm since like what... shadows of the hist? whenever the system was introduced. i hope that we see nunatak as one of the new monster helm sets, but knowing our luck it'll be a max hp set or something completely unrelated.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    the new version of nunatak is the biggest disappointment ever. it has no idea what it even wants to do. it has so many effects but they all conflict with eachother. it's genuinely useless. i wish that we got the chilled execute effect instead...
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Watched a solo parse video with base sets of Mothers Sorrow and Frostbite with either Nunatak or Iceheart and Iceheart is still better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w22x-LFfLVY

Stay safe :)
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Watched a solo parse video with base sets of Mothers Sorrow and Frostbite with either Nunatak or Iceheart and Iceheart is still better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w22x-LFfLVY

Stay safe :)

The person who made the video doesn't seem to know that the nunatak's major brittle doesn't work on bosses