Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heads Up: PC Skill and Attribute Point Reset (only for some players!)

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hey everyone,

We recently discovered an issue where some lower level PC/Mac players have received more skill and attribute points than intended after performing some very specific actions. We want to give you a heads up that during next Monday’s PC/Mac maintenance, we’ll be resetting both skill and attribute points for any character that received extra points and already spent them. No additional action will be taken on any affected accounts.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It kinda sucks that you guys now feel like you're obliged to say you're not going to ban anyone with every post regarding problems like this after all of those controversies.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It kinda sucks that you guys now feel like you're obliged to say you're not going to ban anyone with every post regarding problems like this after all of those controversies.

On the contrary, it's a relief to see that they have updated their policy a bit on that.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's fine to clarify. I even think it's necessary, and not just given the recent examples of ZOS having to walk back disciplinary actions handed down incorrectly.

One of the issues that ZOS has had over the years is inconsistent enforcement that's made worse by slow and poor communication. Over time it creates an attitude where players say "Well, I'd better exploit this glitch early because people get to keep their stuff" and then they get punished because ZOS decided that one glitch was more egregious than the others.

I'll offer an example: ZOS often forgives a number of times when players get items they aren't supposed to. Whether it was Coldharbour Surreal estate for sale for its PTS price, players getting to keep their Necromancers when they didn't own Elsweyr, players getting brief access to Greymooor on launch day, or players using only one berry to get the Onyx Indrik instead of 4, ZOS created an expectation that they would let players keep what they got from a ZOS- made glitch as long as they exploited before it was fixed. "I thought it was a gift from ZOS" was a common excuse offered by players who wanted to keep what they had.

Then ZOS makes another glitch, and Xbox players got 10k-100k extra crowns on their account. What do you think players did? Some of them reported it. Some of them spent the Crowns, and said "I thought it was a gift! A promotion!"

ZOS? Took back all the Crowns and zeroed out accounts who spent more than they had, with other (unspecified) investigations happening.

I'll be happy if ZOS has taken some time to evaluate how their response to these situations creates some maladaptive player behavior, and how better communication on their part can work to fix it.
  • runa_gate
    runa_gate
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just very, very thankful I don't have to spend hours respending points on 18 characters yet again
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we’ll be resetting both skill and attribute points for any character that received extra points and already spent them. No additional action will be taken on any affected accounts.
    If I got a skill point from a skyshard or a quest and spend them on a skill, will my skill points get reseted too ?

I do not recall getting any "extra" points tbh (I keep track on how many I have).

EDIT: My character is max level, so I do not believe I may be affected. Still, it would be nice to know if all of us will have to re-spec all skill points (should we start doing screenshots of our skill lines ? )
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on November 12, 2021 7:32PM
  • ZiggyTStardust
    ZiggyTStardust
    ✭✭✭
    Will the affected players be notifed before it happens? I can iamgine that especially new players don't hang out in the forums and might be suprised by this
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Gina. I don't think any of my alts are affected, but if so, no biggie.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's a relief.
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be an ingame announcement for this? Most low lvl players haven't gone through the hassle of getting a forum account through customer support. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin
    Edited by SimonThesis on November 13, 2021 6:43PM
  • Codafarian
    Codafarian
    ✭✭
    I didn't get any extra points but I have to redo all of my chars yet again... I'm also missing a necklace of winter's respite on my main healer so thanks for that too!
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    3 max characters, 2 points gone - 1 still there. No extras on them so was it done randomly?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RD065 wrote: »
    3 max characters, 2 points gone - 1 still there. No extras on them so was it done randomly?

Maintenance is done already? How do you know this?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • quadraxis666
    quadraxis666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extended maintenance... you broke it huh? We all gotta redo our cp & attributes again dont we?
  • Youmee
    Youmee
    ✭✭✭
    I got this unfamous 65 000 CP last time. As i really dont follow the patch notes I had no idea it was an error. The same with the skill points, I have no clue hoe many SP I have on my chars. And I am pretty sure I am not the only one. I dont think banning people for such mistakes is fair.
  • sorcmag01
    sorcmag01
    ✭✭✭
    Youmee wrote: »
    I got this unfamous 65 000 CP last time. As i really dont follow the patch notes I had no idea it was an error. The same with the skill points, I have no clue hoe many SP I have on my chars. And I am pretty sure I am not the only one. I dont think banning people for such mistakes is fair.

All my points look fine, however I track them, so to your point. There will be new players that don't understand the system yet, even some older players are still learning is my guess, so banning players is not justified, unless there was a deliberate cheat they performed intentionally imo.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for not resetting everyone!
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what bug caused this?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly, one of my low level characters (Level 8) was hit by this. That was unexpected.

Thinking back, it is probably Armory related. That seems to be the root of all bugs and exploits related to skill and attribute points right now. Seriously, I am just going to stay away from that thing for a few months until they can actually get it working right. It is possessed by Sheo.

Very happy that they were not all "ban first and let customer support sort it out", but I figure that everyone impacted got a little note in their record, anyway.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense. Glad I am not using it. It’s too bad console players have fewer options.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please could you give NOTIFICATION of reset??? I didn’t think any of my characters would be reset AGAIN but got half way through a dungeon and I’m asking myself why my health is 18k…. CP reset and NO NOTIFICATION. Seriously????!!!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    M0ntie wrote: »
    Please could you give NOTIFICATION of reset??? I didn’t think any of my characters would be reset AGAIN but got half way through a dungeon and I’m asking myself why my health is 18k…. CP reset and NO NOTIFICATION. Seriously????!!!

They didn't reset CP - as Gina's post states, it's attribute and skill points. If your CP was off, it could be either using the armory station but getting caught by the bug (you have to set 1 point first, save, when you reopen the armory it will be gone, but then when you set all CP the second time, and save, it's there until you want to change it); or if you had a lot of characters to redo CP on, maybe you missed that one?
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

They didn't reset CP - as Gina's post states, it's attribute and skill points. If your CP was off, it could be either using the armory station but getting caught by the bug (you have to set 1 point first, save, when you reopen the armory it will be gone, but then when you set all CP the second time, and save, it's there until you want to change it)

Okay I suspected my CP reset might be an armory bug. That sucks! I screenshotted all my CP on all my char builds after this last patch and I lost my CP. It's ridiculous that we have to know this workaround you suggest or risk losing our CP build every time we use the armory for the first time on a character! But THANK YOU for letting us know.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They didn't reset CP - as Gina's post states, it's attribute and skill points. If your CP was off, it could be either using the armory station but getting caught by the bug (you have to set 1 point first, save, when you reopen the armory it will be gone, but then when you set all CP the second time, and save, it's there until you want to change it); or if you had a lot of characters to redo CP on, maybe you missed that one?
    Yes, they did so reset CP recently, actually.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

Yes, they did so reset CP recently, actually.

They did reset CP prior to this patch, that was not related to the armory bug we are discussing.