Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Werewolf and Vampire... Is a rebalance needed?

ploddab16_ESO
ploddab16_ESO
✭✭✭
I've been talking with some of the guys in my guild, specifically, about how flawed playing as a werewolf is right now. I was complaining that it takes me thirty minutes to get enough ultimate to activate my form (and bear in mind, my WW character is currently level 23 and got the skill line at 19), and in response I was told that I needed to build my character for ultimate cost reduction.

When I told them that I'm not a max level player and therefore I do not have access to this gear, they had a field day with me, pointing out that the WW NPCs are in a high level area, and the quest itself is high level content. Their argument was that by rushing into the quest early, I had effectively gimped myself and had to deal with it.

Now, I admit, perhaps I did rush for werewolf too early. But I doubt I'm alone. We've had stories of players as low as level 8 completing the werewolf and vampire quests after getting bit. With one of the big features of ESO being to do any quest at any level if you think you've got the balls, or perhaps the groupmates, for it, and the fact that players are routinely selling bites to lower levels who have some saved up gold to splash, did Zenimax not pause to ponder this?

Now before I invite all the 'OMFG nub it's level 45 it's not meant for u' replies I know I'm going to get, let me say in advance that if these quests rewarded me with an item that was thirty levels higher than my character, I would be fine with it. The problem that I have is that it isn't an item being unlocked, but an entire skill tree, replete with abilities that you can immediately make use of. If you ask anyone why they decided to go for the WW/Vamp line at such a low level, the response you get would be nigh on universal: "I thought it was a cool ability to have, and I wanted to make use of it."

For that simple reason alone, Zenimax should have known that we'd be seeing a slew of low level vampires and werewolves, and they should have balanced their skill trees accordingly, to work from the lowest level possible (arguably level 7 or 8) that the questline could be completed at. Perhaps if we had that, WW wouldn't be in the thousand point mess it's in now, and we might not be seeing nearly as many complaints about it (though I would still prefer a permanently togglable form, thank you).

What do you think? Should the skill lines be rebalanced to better work with lower level characters?
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    how about another animal like a dragon or kermit
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No!
  • JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    MMO are balanced on end game, Not the journey.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah , not really.

First of all , the vampire skills already work fine with a low lvl char from what i can see. Ofc , i never tested it , my char became a vampire lvl 48.

The werewolf is the problem , but that got nothing to do with high/low lvl i think.

Im quite sure the devs will rebalance pretty much every skill of every skill tree soon when they finish dealing with the huge quest bugs the game got. While a werewolf should clearly be a weaker option to the vampire , it appears they are far too bad atm.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • darkkterror_ESO
    darkkterror_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    'OMFG nub it's level 45 it's not meant for u'

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, werewolf feels incredibly weak even on my VR3 character and I've seen plenty of posts from people agreeing that werewolf, in general, is very weak. As such, I would say that the werewolf line needs to be rebalanced across the board and not necessarily specifically rebalanced for low level. A general rebalance should still help low level characters anyway.
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    how about another animal like a dragon or kermit
    Oh no, you have been bitten by the Kermit!

• ChampionSheWolf
    ChampionSheWolf
    ✭✭✭

And that's why many fail and WoW is starting to fail.
    Harbinger of The Black Wolves.
    Member of Grindstone.

Ebonheart Pact
    Tyra Ravenheim - Templar (newly rerolled)
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And that's why many fail and WoW is starting to fail.

heh , you may call out WoW on many things , hell i do it all the time , but of all things , that game is no failure.

Even if it died today , right now , that probably is one of the most successful games of all times.

With that said , it is easier said than done , when it comes to balancing while people lvl up. First because people powers keep changing much more than if they were just at top lvl , and second because , in the end , you still need to take into account what is happening at end game.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • link428
    link428
    30 minutes? My werewolf is level 24 now (unlocked at level 20), and it only takes me 5-10 minutes to build up enough ultimate. I got the skill up to level 7 already. It feels pretty balanced to me while leveling. I deal a LOT more damage while transformed too.

Your guildmates are correct, though. You need to build your character for ultimate gain.

IMO, they just need to extend the duration and fix all the bugs. I finally encountered that bug where you are unable to attack/block while transformed yesterday.
  • ScardyFox
    ScardyFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    link428 wrote: »
    30 minutes? My werewolf is level 24 now (unlocked at level 20), and it only takes me 5-10 minutes to build up enough ultimate. I got the skill up to level 7 already. It feels pretty balanced to me while leveling. I deal a LOT more damage while transformed too.

Your guildmates are correct, though. You need to build your character for ultimate gain.

IMO, they just need to extend the duration and fix all the bugs. I finally encountered that bug where you are unable to attack/block while transformed yesterday.

Forgive my bluntness, but if you think its balanced you have almost no idea what you are talking about.
  • oldkye
    oldkye
    ✭✭
    ScardyFox wrote: »
    link428 wrote: »

Forgive my bluntness, but if you think its balanced you have almost no idea what you are talking about.

Well I don't agree that it's balanced or that it's even "good" I will admit there is more then enough ways to make it take less time at level 20 there is a level 20 set that reduces the cost of ultimate(including werewolf) by 20% bringing it down to 800 right off the bat.

Then as you level it not only does it cost less but you get abilities that increase your ultimate gains significantly(and leveling it is quite easy if you know what you are doing my werewolf was max rank in about 3 hours my vampire after 3 days was rank 2 lol).

Passed that skills on all classes have increased ultimate gains as passives and choosing things like duel wield can further speed it up.

Once again this doesn't mean it's balanced by I can have my Ultimate back up almost as fast as it's exhausted and I currently have no gear supporting it.
    Edited by oldkye on April 29, 2014 11:29AM
  • shinkicker444rwb17_ESO
    My problem is that my classes ultimate (Veil of Blades) can be used every two to three packs compared to every 6 or more and only if it is "safe*", and VoB is far more useful in terms of survivability and damage, without the need for a cheesy set of gear that is little more than a bandaid over shattered limbs that is werewolves at the moment. Hell there a BASE skills better than WW form.

* = seriously? RAR IM A WEREWOLF... but that small pack of dudes look to intense... so does that one.. and that one... oh theres a single dude. Oh there goes Leeroy with his Destruction Staff... I'll just follow him and take his scraps (thats how it feels to be a WW at times). /sadface.
    Edited by shinkicker444rwb17_ESO on April 29, 2014 12:24PM