Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

I can't stand my characters voice anymore

• Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xanikk999 wrote: »
    NiRN wrote: »
    Level 5 only? Takes like 20 minutes to get to that. ReRoll!

I don't want to lose the massive amounts of gold I spent on bag upgrades.

I'm really peeved that the voice I chose in the character creation process had no indication that the character would have a really screechy whiny power attack.

Let that be a lesson to you. Don't spend gold on new characters. Make sure you like them first.
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tannakaobi wrote: »
    Let that be a lesson to you. Don't spend gold on new characters. Make sure you like them first.

Now that's just crazy talk. It's much easier to make impulsive decisions and then veil your bad choices in "the game is broken" threads. It's the mantra of the new crop of MMO players.
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My male character sounds like he's about to die every single time he is hit.

Annoying? Yes. It makes me not want to take hits because of his god damned voice. Can't do much now that I've survived 51 levels with him. *spams magnum shot*
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • Anath_Q
    Anath_Q
    ✭✭✭✭
    There were a number of glitches with character customization the first week or so after release. Voice samples didn't always play, you couldn't get the facial close-up, etc. Why not offer a one-time reset that will allow those that ended up with something that, after weeks of play, they have come to really hate.

If this means that someone gets a one-time reset for nothing more than not exploring options, that's ok. You can give someone a break for not mastering the learning curve right out of the starting gate.

| GM Cheesemongers of Nirn |
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anath_Q wrote: »
    There were a number of glitches with character customization the first week or so after release. Voice samples didn't always play, you couldn't get the facial close-up, etc.
    While true about creation bugs in the first several days, that is irrelevant to the content of the original post, unless it took the OP a month to reach level 5.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • ClaudiaMay
    ClaudiaMay
    ✭✭✭
    Just for anyone who doesn't know, you can in fact turn the music down while making a character at the creation screen.

I know, as I just did it since I couldn't hear the voices all that well lol. :smile:
    Currently Playing:
    Sorcerer Claudia Warren May, lvl 40. Woodworking 25/Clothing 25/Provisioning 50.
    Dragon Knight, lvl 8. Blacksmithing/Enchanting.
    Nightblade, lvl 3. Alchemy.
    Templar, lvl 7.
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Bosmer Nightblade makes this squeaky grunt that sounds exactly like the first note from 'Genius of Love' by Tom Tom Club.

While I love the song, it's annoying to hear that one note because then I have to stop and listen to the damned song again... every. single. time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECiMhe4E0pI
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    My recommendation is to not invest so heavily into new characters. Give yourself time to decide how much you really want to keep playing it. That was an error in judgement on your part, and I imagine you'll learn from it.

You are absolutely right! The complaint is almost legitimate though .... there does need to be a better sampling system for voices but at the same time you should always be damn sure about a character before investing too much of anything. Sooo I kind of agree with you both!

• Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    cfurlin wrote: »
    Turial wrote: »
    Really scraping the bottom of the barrel of things to complain about, aren't we?

He is genuinely complaining, not looking for anything new lol.

I wasn't implying he was looking for something new to complain about, which is why I didn't say "for NEW things to complain about". lol

What does scraping the barrel imply then? :)
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure about voices, but the appearance can be changed in future the Dev´s said. If rumors are true then most likely with the addition of the thieves guild, like at Skyrim.
  • halflight2
    halflight2
    Soul Shriven
    Tannakaobi wrote: »

Now that's just crazy talk. It's much easier to make impulsive decisions and then veil your bad choices in "the game is broken" threads. It's the mantra of the new crop of MMO players.

Exactly just like the "I cant hear the voice in creation so its a broken game" Ya I now its so hard to turn the sound down so you can hear lol.

• pinkempyreal
    pinkempyreal
    ✭✭✭
    I will agree to this point. I picked my chars voice because it sounded good in CC... Her laugh is good and her general attack sounds are OK but when she jumps or gets attacked she sounds like a man. It's terrible. I won't abandon her based on that, but I wish the voice files used in CC were the ones that were used most when playing.
  • Froobert
    Froobert
    ✭✭✭
    I just got back on my Redguard. While I was riding my horse through Valenwood, I noticed that his voice was that of a female Redguard of the same voice key.

He's supposed to go "Hiya!" In a manly G Voice key. Instead he went "Hya!" In a "Manly" female voice key.

It made me laugh. All day.

skeletor-lol.jpg

Froobert the Tank
    When In doubt, Bash it out! :)

"Member of Noore"

• Daemyn
    Daemyn
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed just recently, after playing my character for some time, that I'm really not a big fan of her voice style...and now I can't stop hearing it. It's way too late to re-roll, so I'm just going to have to suck it up for now, but I really do hope they add voice options whenever they add character re-customization. It's hardly something that will hurt anyone in any way, and could improve the gameplay for a great many people to whom things like this matter, so I'm not sure why anyone would be against it.
  • Linnifred
    Linnifred
    Soul Shriven
    ClaudiaMay wrote: »
    Just for anyone who doesn't know, you can in fact turn the music down while making a character at the creation screen.

I know, as I just did it since I couldn't hear the voices all that well lol. :smile:

Worst advice everrrrr. You probably didn't mean this and I may just be being a noob here. But I spent a few hours to get everything right so I wouldn't want to change anything in the future here like some of these people have. The voices being off was my last part. I followed your instructions turned off the music tried to get back to the screen I was on and somehow lost all of the character I was making. I would have done better to not *** around with the music and just pick a simple voice. T^T </3 RIP FOREVER BEAUTIFUL MODEL LADY HIGH ELF THAT SOMEWHAT LOOKED LIKE ME.
  • EtriusDragnox
    EtriusDragnox
    Soul Shriven
    Turial wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone else noticed that the "check voice" upon character creation is extremely low sounding, very hard to hear. I would like to see when they add character changers in the game that they include a free change for anyone who joined up to the first few weeks. We had that problem with non-zooming in the beginning and it would be nice to see, they are very good at compensating their players so far.

There IS a problem here though. Over the past WEEK I have made THREE different Dunmer. One with High Pitch, one with Low Pitch, and one that was kind of casual. HOWEVER EVERY FREAKING TIME I ATTACK ON EVERYSINGLE ONE HE DOES THAT STUPID HIGH PITCHED SQUEEL! NO MATTER WHAT VOICE I CHOOSE!!!!! I feel like something is wrong here.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I accidentally reached this thread and going back in time 2 months, to when I created my characters, including dunmer, I remember I couldn't find much differences between their voices. To my ears they all sounds almost same, but none of them sounds annoying. They sound rather cute in combat or when playing "emotes". Or maybe I'm just getting old and my hearing ability dies... :)
    Edited by Gargath on October 30, 2015 5:21PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do hope they include voice changes in whatever upcoming barbershop system they come out with. Even if changing your voice doesn't realistically make sense, I think it's definitely something that a lot of people eventually regret their choice on and it's can be really annoying to live with, even moreso than looks if you ask me.

I agree the voice option previews could really use some work. I have spent sooooo long listing to those samples over and over and over with headphones on and the music turned off till I was about to go crazy, and still ended up not totally pleased with how some of my characters voices sound in game.

- for one thing the random sampling sometimes results in you listening to the same laugh or scream many times in a row instead of cycling through, it's annoying and sometimes you just can't get to the other samples for whatever reason

- I swear all the sample sounds that go with a single voice choice often sound like they are from totally different people, like a high pitched girly scream but then the laugh is this base guffaw.... I just don't even know how to tell what's going on with that

- when listening you can't always tell which action the given sound is meant to go with and may miss hearing some of the most common (and thus potentially grating) ones while clicking randomly through - if you're not suuper patient you may only hear 3 or so over and over again and have no idea that you're missing some horrible screech or whatever.

- I don't think any of the samples include the sound that goes with urging your horse to sprint, and I think there are a few other important ones that may not feature in the samples at all.

- it seems like in game some voices have more variety while others over-use the same sound, maybe that's not the case, but it sure seems like it from my experience with many many many hours of playing.... even if the specific sound isn't annoying in and of itself I get tired of the same distinct one on certain characters, while not noticing that repetitiveness on others.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on October 30, 2015 5:04PM
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Gandalf_72 on November 13, 2021 3:10PM
    PC | EU
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

As this thread was originally created in May 2014 we decided to close it down. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.