Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

I can't stand my characters voice anymore

xanikk999
xanikk999
✭✭✭
I recently made a dunmer templar and before I realized it, I am already level 5 and spent lots of gold on bag upgrades and now I hate my characters voice.

He makes the most high pitched screech when he does power attacks and sometimes I hear a screechy whine when he does regular melee attacks. This was not revealed to me when sampling the voice during character creation. I do not remember which number voice it was unfortunately and I don't think theres a way to check in game after you made the character.

I really do not want to be forced to start all over and lose the gold I made on bag upgrades because of this issue. Is there anyway to change his voice?

It's a cosmetic issue so I really don't see why not. I would even be willing to pay real money to get it changed if I have to..
  • xanikk999
    xanikk999
    ✭✭✭
    It's been so bad I just stopped playing him. I wish I could explain better how bad his voice sounds but it's incredibly annoying to hear his high pitched whines when I power attack. He basically lets a whine out then slashes with his sword.
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Level 5 only? Takes like 20 minutes to get to that. ReRoll!
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • xanikk999
    xanikk999
    ✭✭✭
    NiRN wrote: »

I don't want to lose the massive amounts of gold I spent on bag upgrades.

I'm really peeved that the voice I chose in the character creation process had no indication that the character would have a really screechy whiny power attack.
    Edited by xanikk999 on May 13, 2014 3:20AM
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Massive amounts of gold at level 5 on bag space? I think you're wasting everyone's time here.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    lvl 5 and have massive amts of gold already? I smell gold buyer

but in the spirit of good will, have you tried messing with audio settings and see if you can damp down the combat sounds?
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • xanikk999
    xanikk999
    ✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »
    lvl 5 and have massive amts of gold already? I smell gold buyer

but in the spirit of good will, have you tried messing with audio settings and see if you can damp down the combat sounds?

Uhh you realize that I can get money from my main out of the bank right?

You are quick to draw assumptions. Besides that's not what this thread is about anyway.

Edited by xanikk999 on May 13, 2014 3:23AM
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My recommendation is to not invest so heavily into new characters. Give yourself time to decide how much you really want to keep playing it. That was an error in judgement on your part, and I imagine you'll learn from it.
    Edited by Sarenia on May 13, 2014 3:25AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Akhratos
    Akhratos
    ✭✭✭✭
    xanikk999 wrote: »
    NiRN wrote: »

I don't want to lose the massive amounts of gold I spent on bag upgrades.

I'm really peeved that the voice I chose in the character creation process had no indication that the character would have a really screechy whiny power attack.

1- Find the voice sound file. Burn it to ashes.
    2- Reroll
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    You did not mention a main, you made it sound like this was your only char. Regardless, I would think turning down the combat sounds would be the only way to mute the combat screeches you are talking about
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a slider in the settings for the combat voices?
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • Cabot
    Cabot
    ✭✭✭
    There are 8 different voices to choose from, (when you choose a voice you pick from voice A - voice H). if you click the sample button it will play a voice doing a certain action, (melee attack, jumping, taking a hit, etc.). Click the button again it will do the same voice doing a different action.

The irony here is, of all the voice work in the game, this is the only one we can control and sometimes we still screw it up.
    Edited by Cabot on May 13, 2014 4:27AM
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is only the bag space you are worried about, then use him as storage and create another character. Or get used to it.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, there -is- a legitimate gripe here, the OP is just going about it wrong.
    During character creation, you have an option to pick your character's voice....except you can't play any of them to be able to know what they sound like.
    THAT is the legitimate gripe and should be /bugged by everyone reading this thread. And your friends that don't read the forums. And your guild.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually, there -is- a legitimate gripe here, the OP is just going about it wrong.
    During character creation, you have an option to pick your character's voice....except you can't play any of them to be able to know what they sound like.
    THAT is the legitimate gripe and should be /bugged by everyone reading this thread. And your friends that don't read the forums. And your guild.

Yes you can. There's a little audio icon you can click next to the voice selection arrow thingy. Click it numerous times to get various samples.
    Edited by Lord_Hev on May 13, 2014 7:29AM
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • redwoodtreesprite
    redwoodtreesprite
    ✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »

Yes you can. There's a little audio icon you can click next to the voice selection arrow thingy. Click it numerous times to get various samples.

First of all, the music almost drowns out the voice samples. And second, it is hard to hear clearly enough different ones on each choice to get a good idea of what your character will sound like. Honestly, almost all of the female ones sound the same to me. Very little variety in them.
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone else noticed that the "check voice" upon character creation is extremely low sounding, very hard to hear. I would like to see when they add character changers in the game that they include a free change for anyone who joined up to the first few weeks. We had that problem with non-zooming in the beginning and it would be nice to see, they are very good at compensating their players so far.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Laerania_ESO
    Laerania_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is right, stop defending broken features.

You can spend a whole hour listening the same roars and psychotic laughs over and over without getting a decent idea of the character voice.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just used OP's char a pack mule, and reroll a new one -- one can always turn the music off or way down under settings to hear the voices better (after char is created, turn music back on or back up) Use the simple button a few times to get a good idea what the voice sounds like. Every one made mistakes, OP can learn from it. Wait until one is 100% sure if one wants to keep the char or not, before dumping vast amount of gold on the said char.

Not counting my man beta chars, I have made many chars since released and never had a trouble figure out if I like the voice or not.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »

First of all, the music almost drowns out the voice samples. And second, it is hard to hear clearly enough different ones on each choice to get a good idea of what your character will sound like. Honestly, almost all of the female ones sound the same to me. Very little variety in them.

Didn't really have that problem. Although one of the first things i do in most games i play is turn down the music and turn up the voices if the audio adjustments allow it. I like the music in the background, not fighting with the sound affects and voices.
  • Teevesnacks
    Teevesnacks
    ✭✭✭
    As stated you are able to sample the voices. Can't hear it? Adjust the audio, but by all means let's just call this broken and blame zos for a terrible feature.....
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    As stated you are able to sample the voices. Can't hear it? Adjust the audio, but by all means let's just call this broken and blame zos for a terrible feature.....

not-sure-if-serious-or-sarcastic.jpg
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have high hopes they will add a 'barbershop' feature later on that will allow us to change our character features at will.

as to the voice sounds... I never hear any voice on my char. ever. and I play full on sound. maybe its due to combat overriding her war cries. templar here.
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really scraping the bottom of the barrel of things to complain about, aren't we?
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    cfurlin wrote: »
    Really scraping the bottom of the barrel of things to complain about, aren't we?

He is genuinely complaining, not looking for anything new lol.

The OP could use this extra bag space as a mule and create a new character, no need to delete him because of a bad voice, it does not have to go to waste.
    Never Forget

• NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've decided that my VR4 has too wide of a nose and crunched brows.

But I'm not going to re-roll him obviously.

I really think we need a "facial sculptor" or "salon" or whatever they want to call it when they give us the option to re-do character creation.

I'm willing to spend $5 in a cash shop for it.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turial wrote: »
    cfurlin wrote: »

He is genuinely complaining, not looking for anything new lol.

I wasn't implying he was looking for something new to complain about, which is why I didn't say "for NEW things to complain about". lol
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The voice is actually difficult to hear when making a character and clicking the audio sometimes plays the same effect a couple of times instead of cycling though the voice actions.

One thing I did though was turn off music during character creation. As I also made a character once who's voice I didn't care much for.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't lie, I actually like the combat voices on here.

I got really tired of games making female characters moan and squeal when they get hit. If I was to fight somebody, I wouldn't be moaning.

As a tip, voices get more guttural the further down you go, or at least that's my observation. Try choosing 'H' or so next time.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Vanathi
    Vanathi
    ✭✭✭
    I can't hear the voices in character select either. All my toons voices are annoying. Hopefully a barbershop will allow this to be fixed.
    "M'aiq was told to stay away from Oldgate. This confused him. M'aiq remembers when it was called Gate." M'aiq The Liar
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The voice sound is very quiet when creating a character. I had to go into settings and turn everything down. It's another broken feature in ESO.
This discussion has been closed.