The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is the frame drop weapon swap bug fixed on PTS?

MashmalloMan
MashmalloMan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/2ATwVC2rCcg

Context: On live, the performance of the game gradually degrades the longer I play in regards to a frame rate drop when I weapon swap. The youtube video above doesn't illustrate it the best, but you get the general idea. The video is in 30 fps and I'm able to get upwards of 200 fps in the video. Regardless, you can see my frame counter drop drastically any time I weapon swap and the video noticably skips, this happens in game. The counter will drop from 200 to 170 or so every swap, but it actually feels like 0 frames for about 200 mileseconds.

Basically, weapon swapping degrades in to a slide show the longer I play. (Sometimes takes only 10 minutes, but past 1-2 hours, it's unplayable). Only fix is to restart the client.

This is hard to test for me because I'd need to stay logged in on the pts for an extended period of time to replicate the bug and I just have no reason to right now. So if someone has this bug on live, have you noticed it on PTS?

PC NA

Specs:
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING OC
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 32GB (16GBx2)
  • MOBO: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Edited by MashmalloMan on October 21, 2021 5:00PM
PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a fix for this? Anyone know? I'm about to record my own video. It's reallyyy bad. /reloadui fixes it for me, but doesn't help if I'm in a siege group in Cyrodiil in the middle of combat...
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best luck I've had with this is:

Keep everything under ESO+ bonus level.

Don't let your bags go over 110.
    Don't have more than 9 characters. (This should probably be less, but I deleted 3 to get back down to this for now.)
    Don't put more than 220 things in your bank.

It's almost impossible to do, but once any one of these things goes beyond, then it speeds up how fast the game degrades. In all my testing, I'm currently associating the memory leak with anything to do with space beyond the default vanilla game.

It's not 100%, but so far all my testing points toward it.
    Edited by McTaterskins on November 1, 2021 4:02PM
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it's not fixed. There is a noticeable hitch/stutter every time you bar swap. It's even made my weapons completely disappear.

PC/NA Gamepad UI
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    🤬
    Don't have more than 9 characters. (This should probably be less, but I deleted 3 to get back down to this for now.)
    Was going to make a new character, but I may just delete one now instead, putting all their gear onto my other character I stopped using a few months ago.
    🤬

Not sure if any of these are true, but I may try it. I also unsubbed last month so I can test and see if it holds water. Only after I clear my inventory and bank of sets I hoard but never use. lol
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best luck I've had with this is:

Keep everything under ESO+ bonus level.

It's almost impossible to do, but once any one of these things goes beyond, then it speeds up how fast the game degrades. In all my testing, I'm currently associating the memory leak with anything to do with space beyond the default vanilla game.

It's not 100%, but so far all my testing points toward it.

Yeah still experiencing this problem.. never tried the emptying inventory/character slot idea. Thanks for the tip. I've only had this problem since Update 30, but have had the same inventory/characters before then so not sure what the problem is.

It would be nice for ZOS to acknowledge the issue since it's probably effecting more people then the few that care to comment or even notice the problem. It's small at first, but can become unplayable the worse it gets and the more it effects you.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    The worst part is that:

because the frames drop so drastically, my camera turning gets super sharp/fast and I usually overshoot my camera view by about 90° left or right from my target. Very difficult when playing PvP...
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »
    The worst part is that:

because the frames drop so drastically, my camera turning gets super sharp/fast and I usually overshoot my camera view by about 90° left or right from my target. Very difficult when playing PvP...

Among other things. Yes.

It's extremely detrimental to pvp. Especially when on a character not following the tank/healer popularity.