The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Veteran player but far behind. Is it worth coming back?

LadyDestiny
LadyDestiny
✭✭✭✭✭
So I've played eso since beta on pc and have always loved this game and really miss playing. I stopped playing just before oblivion was released and my champion points are currently around 900 so yeah, super low now.
I feel I am going to be so underleveled and don't want to spend 24/7 grinding champion points for weeks on end just to catch up before I can actually do anything.
Would I still be able to at least run the dlc content to an extent or is is pointless now? Is it worth investing time into the game again or just call it quits because of the huge disadvantage I have now?
  • Aertew
    Aertew
    ✭✭✭✭
    900 champion is actually fine. I have run vet DLC dungeons fine.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    900 is fine to do most things.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay thank you!
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk man
    Awake, but at what cost
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you remember the One Tamriel update where everything in overworld maps and normal mode instances was scaled to 160CP? That still applies. As long as you're above 160CP you're the right level for anything except veteran dungeons and trials, and if you're below that you'll be scaled up.

At 900CP you could do some veteran dungeons as well (possibly all of them, I'm not sure). Some groups will want more CP (and possibly set gear you don't have) but there will be others to join.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Do you remember the One Tamriel update where everything in overworld maps and normal mode instances was scaled to 160CP? That still applies. As long as you're above 160CP you're the right level for anything except veteran dungeons and trials, and if you're below that you'll be scaled up.

At 900CP you could do some veteran dungeons as well (possibly all of them, I'm not sure). Some groups will want more CP (and possibly set gear you don't have) but there will be others to join.

Okay good to know because I wasn't sure what all had changed. Thank you!
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you hit the 1000s you sometimes forget to assign points, you will be fine with a good solid 900
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nows the best time to comeback, gear will be easy to farm next patch.
    CP farming up to 1200 is reasonably fast and you need less CP as before. (You dont need to if you dont want to 900 should get you the important ones)

• Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You get CP super fast now.

CP900 is fine. Get to 1000 relatively fast and nobody will say anyting I'm sure.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've recently returned as well, but have 760-something CP. I rolled a new character, didn't assign any points, and did whatever content I stumbled across. No problems whatsoever. After a week doing that, I enabled CP, and the only noticeable difference was that mobs died faster.

There are some guilds out there that are fussy about your CP level. Most don't care. It isn't a metric that makes or breaks the game, but some of the passives are nice.

You're fine. There isn't anything out there the game itself will stop you from doing. Disregard the players that tell you otherwise.
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is definitely worth coming back, for one we got a new DLC that's just two days away. :smiley:

Also this new update will bring the much awaited armory system! So you can swap armor sets, skills etc just poof, very fast.
    Prior to this update this feature has only been available via addons, but now ZoS is adding it to the game.

There is no need at all to worry about your CP, with 900 CP you can do everything. It's only very difficult content like HMs that people typically want you to have more CP.

Nowadays it's also really fast to gain CP. :)
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you liked playing the game before, then give it a try. CP gain is pretty fast also daily log in rewards have XP Scrolls every month. At 900 your going to be fine. I see lots of players in both Normal and Vet Dungeons and Trials with less CP less than your 900.

There has been some nice of quality of life improvements, such as Set Collection Binding (sticker book), Also starting with the next update (Nov 1 for PC) the Drops that are Set drops from Bosses Dolmens, Dungeons, Delves Trials, Arenas and such are going to be set items you have not bound to your collection (Sticker Book) yet.

Since you already own the game be it just base game, or with some additional DLC's / Chapters, its a good time to give it a tray again.

Also it wont cost you any money to give try it.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, nah.
    Story content is too easy, barely a challenge, it feels more like a chore.
    DLC dungeons are fun the first time, they become a gear farm the second time, same with trials.
    PvP is terrible, if you don't have the numbers favoring you, you can't do anything, just let your gear do your fighting for you.
    Housing is nice, but also very pointless, you'll barely ever be in your house, even with crafting stations.
    Companions were pretty cool, leveling them up took some time, nice if you wanna do solo stuff, except for solo arenas, they can't go in there, I think they were the best aspect added to the game, but then they just kinda go in the background until you forget about them.
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Far behind… what benchmark?

There is no such thing.

S.
  • Gelmir
    Gelmir
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe when I see most of the replies here...

With 900 CP you are more than fine for most (if not all) of the DLC dungeons - vet HMs at that. And you are also quite fine for most non-HM vet Trials. As long as you are not a total dummy, 900 CP is a great number to have. If you are hopeless, even 3600 CP won't help you. Simple as that. Ignore all this fearmongering here mate.
    Edited by Gelmir on October 31, 2021 10:48PM
    Check-out ~~ GuildPlanner.Pro ~~ Your Ultimate Guild & Character Management Tool
    ★ Lodge of Sorceresses [PC/EU] - LF Serious PvEers: Midgame to Endgame Growth! ★ We NEED You! | Join Discord Server | Youtube Channel
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gelmir wrote: »

With 900 CP you are more than fine for most (if not all) of the DLC dungeons - vet HMs at that. And you are also quite fine for most non-HM vet Trials. As long as you are not a total dummy, 900 CP is a great number to have. If you are hopeless, even 3600 CP won't help you. Simple as that. Ignore all this fearmongering here mate.

I can't believe there's a lot of fearmongering either. Of the posts that weren't by the OP that posted before you, 10 of them said the OP was good to go and one answered IDK. Only one person said anything really negative.

I think the thread is mostly telling the OP they will be fine for most content, and I agree with that assessment! You really don't need more CP than that to do like 99% of this game.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 31, 2021 10:56PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gelmir wrote: »

What fear mongering?

I only see 1 reply saying not to come back and that's because that person thinks the game is boring, not because they say the OP is too far behind or won't be able to achieve anything. (If anything they're saying the opposite by saying it's too easy and boring.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can get 'behind' in this game since they balance every mob you run into with your character level.

Learning the new sets that are available would count as somewhat 'behind', but that won't take all that long to get up to date.

Champion points are useful, but they are not character breaking and they do not overly power a character, no matter how many CPs they have (and they can have 3600)

:#
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you get to about 1170 you can only progress horizontally at that point, the way it's designed with the slottable skills. At 900, you're probably being nerfed compared to max by maybe about 2-4% of the total potential of your capable skills, depending on your allocations and role. The XP scaling is not too bad at that level either, you accrue CP pretty fast until 1800 when progression rescales, and then it slows down a bit. Basically, with enlightenment, if you pop a 100% scroll per day and run one random normal, you'd make about one CP per day doing absolutely nothing else going up to 1200 CP.

People run normal BRP with two players to grind CP, doing the first phase up to final boss, then porting out and starting over. During an XP boost event, with a 150% scroll on and purple training gear, I found that it was possible to accrue about 4-5 million XP per hour with a partner once you get going. If you really needed to be at 1170, it could be accomplished with 16 hours of grinding in this way, which is not too bad really. It could be done in a weekend. If you can do master writs, those will pump out a lot of XP when buffed as well - I save them up for events, buff and pop a scroll, and can get 3-5 CP just doing 20 or so of those pre-1800, and it takes maybe 15 minutes tops thanks to addons and open homes with full outfit stations.

But, as everyone has already said, you don't really need to do that. All content is pretty much accessible at your level, and it might only make a measurable difference for truly gifted and competitive players. So if you are one of those, it might be worth the grind time. If not, no worries, you're fine, just play.
  • Doc45
    Doc45
    ✭✭✭
    So I've played eso since beta on pc and have always loved this game and really miss playing. I stopped playing just before oblivion was released and my champion points are currently around 900 so yeah, super low now.

I'm CP2000 and wouldn't have imagined anyone would think of CP900 as low. I suppose 2000 could also be considered low relative to the new max CP of 3600, but as furiouslog said, it becomes horizontal progress around 1200. Some guilds have min. DPS requirements for trials, but I think (not certain) CP900 wouldn't be the determining factor in whether or not you could meet them. I recall a YouTube video where a parse was done with and without champion points but can't locate it at the moment. If I'm not mistaken, the parse without champion points still produced quite high dps (high enough to do any content) given the other variables (skills, rotation, potions, gear, etc.).
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    800 CP is good for everything in the game - the only exception is CP enabled PvP.
    PC EU