The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

seven hours tho?

• beer781993
    beer781993
    ✭✭✭✭
    NicGroover wrote: »
    Another day lost. Thank you TESO...

If they could at least tell if it takes longer but no information as always ....

Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alpharos7 wrote: »
    What concerns me is not the length but the frequency of maintenance that ESO needs. Normally there is 6-8hrs of downtime a week, which is alot.

Wrong. There USED to be weekly maintenance, but a little thing called "Stadia" changed that. It's been, what, a year(?) since that change was implemented. And when it WAS implemented, there were players complaining in these forums that it meant issues weren't going to be fixed as frequently as they should.

However, my guess is that regular maintenance is less about rolling out fixes and more about doing basic housekeeping.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BazOfWar wrote: »
    LordOsiris wrote: »
    And best is, always EU players are loosing time, never ever NA ...

This isn't actually true. On the east coast of the united states, its already 11:07am here. We're loosing time too, and it's gradually ticking down. Yeah, you're loosing a lot, but I've been awake since 6:00 and that's 5 hours I could have spent playing the game and doing the things I want to level up.

While i sympathise you have downtime also it isn't quite the same as EU because this is our prime time play.

This is my NA prime time - I never play after 4 pm Mountain Time.
    Options
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be wrapping up shortly unless the banner is updated 'extended downtime'.

Hold on to your undies, folks.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not fun to wait until 6 PM, and sometimes waaaay later if it gets extended. I remember many cases when it was already *the next day* when the maintenance concluded. ZoS seems to only care about NA servers, since in other games I've played, EU's maintenance is when it's night in EU, not during the day/prime time.

That's the thing I don't understand is why NA and EU go down at the same time. It's only 8:02AM here in Phoenix (Arizona), but this is primetime in European countries. I sleep through the vast majority of maintenance, so I can't complain on a personal level.

I'm wondering if it's just a very small crew that handles the maintenance, and this is just simply easier on the workload.
    I think the reason is that they uses the US crew to watch over the maintained and fix problems.
    Most in EU are at work or schools during maintenance so its not that much worse than night maintenance.
    Main issue is that ZoS don't think about common EU holydays.

Why maintenance takes so long I don't know.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • schindler
    schindler
    ✭✭✭
    LordOsiris wrote: »
    And best is, always EU players are loosing time, never ever NA ...

This! Therefore, as already requested by a lot of people, a global reset time for riding lessons, daily bonus for dungeon & battleground etc. should finally be implemented.
    Options
  • Lancro
    Lancro
    ✭✭
    20 minutes overtime now...
    Options
  • abakzn
    abakzn
    ✭✭✭
    Can't we get some compensation like one days worth of writ grinding on all your characters, that will sweeten the wait a lot?
    Options
  • Br1ckst0n
    Br1ckst0n
    ✭✭✭
    Also interesting that they need such a maintenance just 13 days prior to the next major patch
    Offtank of the year 2016
    Options
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's up!
    Options
  • Lancro
    Lancro
    ✭✭
    abakzn wrote: »
    Can't we get some compensation like one days worth of writ grinding on all your characters, that will sweeten the wait a lot?

No, but we will pay ESO plus as always for a "month", months are 30 days long, not 26 as they are in this game.
    Options
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    t0jisnor9wu31.png

Never forget.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
    Options
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am in login queue,wish me luck.
    Saying 3 minutes.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
    Options
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rudrani wrote: »
    I literally cant wrap my head around a 7 hour maintenence.

Let me start by sitting at my desk and pouring myself a nice cup of coffee, and then think really long and hard about what Rudrani wrote on the forum. Okay, done. But! Now my coffee got cold. That's an issue. You can't have cold coffee, right? Right. So, I get up and walk all the way down to the cantina again, and pour myself a nice cup of coffee again. As I'm going down the stairs, I notice there's bubblegum on the marble floor. Again, this is an issue. This cannot stand. So, I go up the stairs again to ring the cleaning department, because you can't have bubblegum on the marble floor. What if our most important shareholders decide they want to visit us, and they all get stuck to the floor. Na-ah, buddy, na-ah. We can't have that, can we? So, anyways, I'm going downstairs again, because I still need to pour myself a nice cup of coffee. I mean, you can't think straight without a nice cup of coffee. You tend to make mistakes when you go without coffee longer than five minutes, and when you make mistakes, well, that's when all sorts of magic start to happen and of course the consequences of such magic are wholly unintended. So we don't want that. Anyway, coffee. Yes please! So.. Where were we? Oh, yeah. Right. My bad!

I may have an idea!

Options
  • tonne.backlinderb16_ESO
    Br1ckst0n wrote: »
    Also interesting that they need such a maintenance just 13 days prior to the next major patch

Maybe they attend sense of humor classes?
    Options
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saying 3 minutes.

Me too. Though tea is nearly ready and I'm hungry so .....
    Options
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me start by sitting at my desk and pouring myself a nice cup of coffee, and then think really long and hard about what Rudrani wrote on the forum. Okay, done. But! Now my coffee got cold. That's an issue. You can't have cold coffee, right? Right. So, I get up and walk all the way down to the cantina again, and pour myself a nice cup of coffee again. As I'm going down the stairs, I notice there's bubblegum on the marble floor. Again, this is an issue. This cannot stand. So, I go up the stairs again to ring the cleaning department, because you can't have bubblegum on the marble floor. What if our most important shareholders decide they want to visit us, and they all get stuck to the floor. Na-ah, buddy, na-ah. We can't have that, can we? So, anyways, I'm going downstairs again, because I still need to pour myself a nice cup of coffee. I mean, you can't think straight without a nice cup of coffee. You tend to make mistakes when you go without coffee longer than five minutes, and when you make mistakes, well, that's when all sorts of magic start to happen and of course the consequences of such magic are wholly unintended. So we don't want that. Anyway, coffee. Yes please! So.. Where were we? Oh, yeah. Right. My bad!

I may have an idea!

I'd say it's time to buy a Nespresso machine for your office ;)
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saying 3 minutes.

I was logged in, but got distracted by reading and replying to this forum on my iPad, so I got logged off for inactivity. Then I got put into a 3-minute queue when I tried to log back in! :D
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say it's time to buy a Nespresso machine for your office ;)

There's just simply no way you're going to put a Nespresso machine in my office. Sorry. It's just not going to happen! Not today, not tomorrow, maybe not next year but definitely not the day after! See, Nespresso messes with my thought process, and we can't have Nespresso messing with my thought process. Because servers will go up in smoke if Nespresso messes with my thought process. Capiche?

I'm not actually an employee here. Lucky you guys!

Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe NA and EU maintenance used to be at different times. But it led to all kinds of problems and they went back to all maintenance at same time. I think it was something like there is only one "authentication server" and there were problems getting it to authenticate different versions of game in different regions.
    Options
  • ankeor
    ankeor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am stuck in character loading screen.

Edit: I managed to login
    Edited by ankeor on October 19, 2021 4:00PM
    Options
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still cant wrap my head around why maint takes so long.
    Its merciless on asian-pacific players

Do you work in technology? If not than that is why you can't wrap your head around it. There is quite a bit of things a company can do when it does server maintenance. It isn't just rebooting the server. For instance, they may have updates for the software and that alone can be an hour or two. Than they maybe upgrading some of the hardware, etc... maintenance is never a flip of a switch or an easy button. Proper maintenance takes its time.
    Options
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alpharos7 wrote: »
    What concerns me is not the length but the frequency of maintenance that ESO needs. Normally there is 6-8hrs of downtime a week, which is alot. Most other games will be 6-8hrs a month. I get that the game is huge, but a game needing this much maintance was built using spaghetti.
    Another possible reason for the frequent maintenance could be that the ESO devs and management are just more committed to fixing problems than with other MMOs?
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I still cant wrap my head around it.
    I always thought a company would do the time consuming things on a development server... then shut down the live server for the amount of time it takes to shut down, load data, restart.

i could see that taking... 20 minutes... ok maybe 2 hours for like terabytes of data?

Have you ever wondered how many individual pieces of hardware make up a megaserver?
    Options
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

I still cant wrap my head around it.
    I always thought a company would do the time consuming things on a development server... then shut down the live server for the amount of time it takes to shut down, load data, restart.

i could see that taking... 20 minutes... ok maybe 2 hours for like terabytes of data?

Have you ever wondered how many individual pieces of hardware make up a megaserver?

I used to hang out in data centers. I'm not new to it. 7 hours is madness.

Options
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still cant wrap my head around why maint takes so long.
    Its merciless on asian-pacific players

Do you work in technology? If not than that is why you can't wrap your head around it. There is quite a bit of things a company can do when it does server maintenance. It isn't just rebooting the server. For instance, they may have updates for the software and that alone can be an hour or two. Than they maybe upgrading some of the hardware, etc... maintenance is never a flip of a switch or an easy button. Proper maintenance takes its time.

Yes I have worked in several different technologies, including IT.

I have never ever ever seen any company take their live service down for 6-8 hours at a time on a regular basis.

Very simply speaking, companies have development mirrors of whatever they have live. Whatever takes a lot of time to do/test/etc they do on the development mirror. Then when it is time to push it live, they literally "Push" it live: they copy the mirror to the live server.

Literally it DOES take as much time as it takes to copy and reboot. Which cannot be 7 hours on a regular basis NO MATTER how many gadgets are in your lockers.
    Options
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to make it even more irritating...

We've been through 1 six-hour maintenence, and 1 seven-hour maintenence, and the console UI still has this rediculous text chat bug, that literally could not possibly be even slightly difficult to fix.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As the maintenance on October 19th has since concluded, we are locking this thread from further discussion.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.