Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we have an ETA on the BG test end?

Marcus_Aurelius
Marcus_Aurelius
✭✭✭✭✭
Is too much to ask to know when this "test" will end?
I would like to start again to do BGs, i still miss a lot of achievments for other modes.

is it too much to ask for a date? I'm sorry, i don't want to incovenience you but is really so hard to just give us a date?
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played BG's every day, but not a single one during this test.

I have spent my time in the sewers ganking.
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played BG's every day, but not a single one during this test.

I have spent my time playing New World.
  • aerrow77
    aerrow77
    Soul Shriven
    I played BGs everyday too, but WONT during this test anymore.

I didnt even know about the BG changes coming out.

I've been playing eso for only a couple months so far with my wife and I would do a few BGs everyday but have been wondering why ive only been getting deathmatch the last few weeks.... just found out..... -.- [snip] This really sucks.

Also now your data is skewed, I didnt realize i was getting DM only for almost a month, I thought I was just really really unlucky lol!

Would've quit BG's much sooner.
    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by aerrow77 on October 11, 2021 4:58PM
  • bathynomusESO
    bathynomusESO
    ✭✭✭
    A date would be nice. Getting bored with dungeons, PVP was kinda my rest to goof off at the end of the day.
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭
    When they collect enough data they'll be done. I don't get how you think they can give a date when it's dependent on so many factors out of their control.
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    When they collect enough data they'll be done. I don't get how you think they can give a date when it's dependent on so many factors out of their control.

The factors are totally in their control. If they don't get the data they want in a specific time period, then that is a failure of their test plan, and an indication it was a bad test. However, as with not sharing what they are testing, sharing dates is also not expected. They don't even provide advance dates for events until right as they start.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    We should have an update on this Battlegrounds test in the next few days, including next steps for the immediate future.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Trenia
    Trenia
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they leave BGs in some way like they are now. I hate objective games as solo queue. DM is where it's at.
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We should have an update on this Battlegrounds test in the next few days, including next steps for the immediate future.

Hi Gina. Thank you for the update. Just wanted to let you know that half my friends list, mainly PVP'ers, have been offline for 7+ days. The ability to choose DM queue would be a huge quality of life improvement for the remaining folks that enjoy that game mode. Please consider this when deciding on next steps. I'm hoping ESO is able to retain what's left of the PVP community, but that's based on what ZOS decides to do with PVP side of the game.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

All I would like to see out of the BG queues is for DM only to stay in some way or form. Ideally, DM only queue would have the option for queuing as a group.

For me, that's the bare minimum for me to stay engaged in ESO's PvP. Going beyond that, I think a rework of the objective modes to encourage more actual combat would also be very beneficial for the game. Ultimately however, letting the players have choice in what they want to queue for is critical.

I also think that a big issue with Battlegrounds actually lies in the performance of cyrodiil. Performance has only gotten worse, and that's pushed away a lot of players from PvP entirely, BGs, Cyro, and IC. I'm not going to beat a dead horse but performance absolutely needs to improve in order for pvp to survive. Yes there are issues with balance, yes there are problematic sets, yes some of the game modes are poorly designed, but at the end of the day if performance in cyrodiil is bad, and if you take away choices for players to pvp in the environment they want to pvp in, players are going to leave.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on October 13, 2021 1:48PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hi Gina, thanks for the update. Myself, and many members of my bg guilds have played a lot of bgs the last several weeks. Unfortunately, a huge chunk of the bg population left for new world. Being able to choose which mode you want to play would go a long way in trying to retain the bg player base.

Unfortunately, the releasing of dark convergence and hrothgar as they were at the start of the patch drove many players away from playing dm. When there are more than 1-2 dark convergence users in a bg, it is awful and not fun.

People want to choose which modes to play. A rework of several of the objective game modes so that they encourage conflict would be a good move. Getting AP for kills in bgs would as well.

Please help cultivate the bg population, @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin !
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Trenia wrote: »
    Hopefully they leave BGs in some way like they are now. I hate objective games as solo queue. DM is where it's at.

I partially agree with you, as I love DMs, though I'd love it if there were 2 queues like before, 1 queue for dms and 1 for random objectives. I personally love playing dms as a group, and objectives as solo.

Though, more than that, can we get the solo bg queue to be the default selected when you are not in a group? It's annoying to queue up then realize you queued into the wrong queue midway through waiting.
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
  • VixxVexx
    VixxVexx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The resulting data is going to be worthless anyway. Between Dark Convergence abuse ("zerg busting" set allowed in 4v4v4 lmao) and New World's release, whatever serious BG playerbase there was, is currently not playing BGs.

Please don't make it more than two separate queues though.
    You can call them Battleground and Playground queue, one is Deathmatch (with group queue possible) and the other can be all of the tag-your-it modes.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it odd that the solo queue “test” lasted for 3 patches, yet this dm queue test isn’t even live for a full patch before you make a decision.

There’s no way the data from this is going to be useful since dm queue only started a week before New World came out, and a huge chunk of players (from pve too) haven’t even logged in since.
  • Eevee_42
    Eevee_42
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update! Please keep in mind that the timing of this test occurred during a mass exodus of pvp players, so I don’t believe the numbers shown during this brief experiment are that useful. The game lost around 95% of the high MMR BG regulars in the past month on top of potential Cyrodiil players who might have been interested in deathmatch but avoided BGs due to the objective random queue.

For those who are serious about pvp and are still sticking around, them continuing to play eso hinges on this decision. I can only hope that we will still have the option to queue for deathmatch. Otherwise, it’ll likely spell the end for the remaining pvp players left in BGs.
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's funny that people think ZOS somehow isnt aware of 'that other game's' existence, its release/ timing with the battleground test, or that people who dont like DM wouldnt participate, the effect of dark convergence, etc....

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eevee_42 wrote: »

Thanks for the update! Please keep in mind that the timing of this test occurred during a mass exodus of pvp players, so I don’t believe the numbers shown during this brief experiment are that useful. The game lost around 95% of the high MMR BG regulars in the past month on top of potential Cyrodiil players who might have been interested in deathmatch but avoided BGs due to the objective random queue.

For those who are serious about pvp and are still sticking around, them continuing to play eso hinges on this decision. I can only hope that we will still have the option to queue for deathmatch. Otherwise, it’ll likely spell the end for the remaining pvp players left in BGs.

On one platform maybe. There are two other platforms.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Communication from ZOS is very refreshing.
    Please do it more often and thanks for the update. I am concerned, as @Urvoth pointed out, that previous changes to the BG Queue system lasted several patches. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's been 2 years since I we've been able to queue as a duo/squad for DM specifically. Why was the duration so short?
    NagualV wrote: »
    I think it's funny that people think ZOS somehow isn't aware of 'that other game's' existence, its release/ timing with the battleground test, or that people who don't like DM wouldn't participate, the effect of dark convergence, etc....

It's not that we think they're not aware. We're concerned they'll ignore those factors and say "We made BGs DM only and participation dropped, so we'll keep the queue completely random forever". Sadly, it's something a good portion of the DM BG population can see as a possible outcome. This idea has come up quite a few times in our guild/community Discords. We're pointing it out so ZOS can't say they never thought about it later on.

A lot of our friends haven't logged on ESO since New World launched, so they didn't participate in this DM-only test as much as they would've otherwise. That doesn't mean they won't ever come back to ESO.

Group DM queue needs to stay. Even if singled out. Community held BG tournaments and even more casual BG guilds' PvP nights depend on the Group DM queue.
    Edited by Magio_ on October 13, 2021 9:41PM
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magio_ wrote: »
    Communication from ZOS is very refreshing.
    Please do it more often and thanks for the update. I am concerned, as @Urvoth pointed out, that previous changes to the BG Queue system lasted several patches. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's been 2 years since I we've been able to queue as a duo/squad for DM specifically. Why was the duration so short?
    I think it's funny that people think ZOS somehow isnt aware of 'that other game's' existence, its release/ timing with the battleground test, or that people who dont like DM wouldnt participate, the effect of dark convergence, etc....

It's not that we think they're not aware. We're concerned they'll ignore those factors and say "We made BGs DM only and participation dropped, so we'll keep the queue completely random forever". Sadly, it's something a good portion of the DM BG population can see as a possible outcome. This idea has come up quite a few times in our guild/community Discords. We're pointing it out so ZOS can't say thy never thought about it later on.

A lot of our friends haven't logged on ESO since New World launched, so they didn't participate in this DM-only test as much as they would've otherwise. That doesn't mean they won't ever come back to ESO.

Group DM queue needs to stay. Even if singled out. Community held BG tournaments and even more casual BG guilds' PvP nights depend on the Group DM queue.

Trust me my friend, I'm on your side in this thread. I like open world, and dont like battlegrounds that much, but the only mode I do enjoy is deathmatch....I would think the most popular view is to give everyone the choice.....

What im saying is that some of us are making assumptions about WHAT ZOS are testing....we dont actually know exactly what they are testing.
  • Lordtalon90
    Lordtalon90
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_GinaBruno wrote: »

I personally have loved the deathwatch only queue. I would love to retain this feature as an avid pvper. Also if we could get some new BG maps anytime soon it would be nice too. It's been forever.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would think the most popular view is to give everyone the choice.....

What im saying is that some of us are making assumptions about WHAT ZOS are testing....we dont actually know exactly what they are testing.

That's what DM players have been asking. Being able to choose.

Well whatever it is ZOS is testing, it obviously has to do with DM mode in BGs. All my BG guilds have gotten the short end of the stick every time they changed how the BG Queue system works for 2+ years. Sorry if we are concerned we'll be let down yet again...
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magio_ wrote: »
    I would think the most popular view is to give everyone the choice.....

That's what DM players have been asking. Being able to choose.

Well whatever it is ZOS is testing, it obviously has to do with DM mode in BGs. All my BG guilds have gotten the short end of the stick every time they changed how the BG Queue system works for 2+ years. Sorry if we are concerned we'll be let down yet again...

I totally understand the frustration
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Excellent points @Magio_
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »

I find it odd that the solo queue “test” lasted for 3 patches, yet this dm queue test isn’t even live for a full patch before you make a decision.

There’s no way the data from this is going to be useful since dm queue only started a week before New World came out, and a huge chunk of players (from pve too) haven’t even logged in since.

This. This test has not lasted long enough to result in any conclusion unless that conclusion is to return the original choice back to players.

If a decision to go one way, most likely we would expect a gutting of the deathmatch players, then it's clear this test was performative and biased data are being used (re: the meta and new world launch) to make an uninformed decision.
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update even though mostly on break from bgs have done a few and only on certain maps, its pretty dulll everyone just spams dc and runs in balls. Snipe types are likely having a blast on some maps though.

But yeah not sure if the data will be good sometimes leave a match that is clearly one sided wait five mins and reque and end up in the same match on a different team so not a lot of people some days on PC NA
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, now do a test completely removing DM.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nogawd wrote: »

They basically already did for a whole year. Average 15% rate of appearance according to PvP Meter. We could go full days at a time without seeing a DM. Then when we finally did get one the MMR system, which is terrible to begin with, was completely based on RNG, so we'd just farm objective bots until they left and the match wasn't good anyway. Yet, you can't even handle 3 weeks of actual PvP.
    Edited by Magio_ on October 13, 2021 9:38PM
  • bathynomusESO
    bathynomusESO
    ✭✭✭

Yes, please. For science.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys realize DC could be much worse without DM??

Keep DC effects on objective areas for 15 minutes, the end.
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭

Why? It is herstorically the most popular form of BG. This DM-only queue experiment should be extended until the next DLC chapter release in my opinion.
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers