The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do most people not care about new dungeon stories?

• Brenticus12
    Brenticus12
    ✭✭✭
    It's cause they are used to the other boring quests they seen in other MMOs,so think ESO is same.They don't realized there's good lore and stories built over decades.That's how you know difference between people who played previous ES titles,and people jsut finding a new MMO to play.

I grew up playing TES games and my most played game is probably still Morrowind and the various ways I used to mod it. Probably got an equal amount of hours into Oblivion and Skyrim too along with the modding scene.

I still skip most of the dialogue in ESO dungeons mostly cause the dialogue itself isn't overly interesting and I get the gist of the dungeon's story just from the NPC ambient dialogue anyway.

Was never invested into an MMORPG before ESO either so it's not like I grew up playing MMORPGs where you skipped the story.

ESO has some great story content but they're mostly tied to either certain MSQs or to few unique side quests. Some public dungeon stories can be interesting too.

However by and large almost all the dungeon stories are generally bland, obvious or hit very similar story beats that you can understand purely through the ambient dialogue.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we had solo story mode, I'd care. We don't so I don't.
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care one bit.
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if I like the stories I have to say: the last DLC that was worth to "read" was Harrowstorm yet there almost no "read" but instead a lot conversations between dungeon bosses or companions during run.
    Black villa is just an epitome of how bad written dungeons can be. Even after many runs I still have no clue who is that cow, why there a salamanders, who is the last boss and [snip] the secret boss is. So it feels almost like wow's quests: where an unknown npc talk to you about things that you don't care at all with the only exceptions that now questgiver is already known npc (but qest is just horrible anyways).

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 9, 2021 11:01AM
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I care about the dungeon stories, which is why I wait to do every new dungeon with my core group who feels the same way about the dungeon stories.

Expecting random players to have the same perogative as you is expecting a bit much. If you want to experience the story and play the dungeon at a slower pace, then you should find some like-minded people to play with.
  • Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    I am on record of saying that group dungeons / trials should not have storylines.

Group content is not the place for story content that is going to artificially stop and slow down gameplay. When I am playing with friends - any game, really - I want to keep playing. Not listen to stories.

I have little to no interest in the stories in the dungeons and trials, and honestly, I'm not sure that I can tell you the story for literally any of them.

If it matters: I am a TES fan, fan of the lore, and in the single player games, take my time to listen to every single piece of dialogue I play through and don't skip even a merchant's dialogue when I interact with them to shop.

As someone who has been playing MMORPGs for years, every MMORPG I have played has had a story in every dungeon and raid, all group content. It would not make sense to have the content without some reason it exists in the game. The difference between one MMORPG and another is how involved or immersive that story is.

The best MMO's I have ever played are the ones that don't have stories and are just open worlds for people to make their way in.

MMO's that try to merge single player style questing and stories in a persistent, multiplayer, online world with various multiplayer group content, have always been a turnoff to me.

So I stick to my position: Group content is not the place for storylines.

Every major MMORPG title I have played has a story for their raids and other group content. I am talking about the largest MMORPGs out there. WoW, FF14, even SWTOR which is no longer a major title. Then many of the lesser MMORPGs such as Neverwinter had stories in their group content. The bosses are all tied together by that story vs just having a bunch of random bosses and trash mobs that have nothing to do with each other.

Examples as there are far to many raids to try to mention here. Each example is just a small excerpt of the story description.
    WoW - Trial of Valor - Since Loken's betrayal, Odyn has been trapped within the Halls of Valor as Helya plots in the shadows to claim the souls of his valarjar champions. ( and more)
    FF14 - The Royal City of Rabanastre - Recently, residents of Kugane woke to find hovering above their city an airship unlike any ever seen. Yet while of Garlean design, the vessel distinctly lacked the bleak outfitting common in the Empire's warmachina. Etc.
    SWTOR - Buried deep in the icy mountains of Belsavis, a prison housing an ancient and deadly entity has been uncovered. Both the Republic and the Empire understand the threat that the prison poses, et.

Of course I left out ESO as that should be fairly clear.

Again, the largest (one was a one-time among the largest) of the recent MMORPGs out there outside of MMORPG. Even the 4-man group content in these games has a story. How much of that story is interactable varies from game to game but then again ESO has invested much more into their storytelling than any of those games as they refine them all the way to voicing vs reading script.

I expect we have played very different games.

My MMO experiences began with EQ and SWG. Neither of which had much of any sort of storyline.

WoW was the decline of the genre, for me. The fact that virtually every MMO that has followed has tried to emulate it - ESO included - has basically made the genre a no-go for me.

SWG The Sith Triumvirate - three fearsome Sith Lords formed an alliance to train a new generation of Sith and crush the Jedi Order once and for all. The party enters the ancient Sith training ground to face off against Darth Nihilus, Darth Sion, and Darth Tray.

So there are storylines for these raids going far back. As I said, how much of that story is interactable varies from game to game.

However, even in ESO, with rare exceptions, the story does not impede a group's speed outside of having to wait for an animation to complete.

Stories didn't enter SWG until the NGE, which is also when the game went south and never recovered.
  • Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deter1UK wrote: »

My MMO experiences began with EQ and SWG. Neither of which had much of any sort of storyline.

WoW was the decline of the genre, for me. The fact that virtually every MMO that has followed has tried to emulate it - ESO included - has basically made the genre a no-go for me.

So you don't play MMOs because there are stories in the dungeons...?

Incorrect. You're taking my comment and either intentionally or unintentionally responding to it out of context to turn it into something I never said.

I said: Group content is not the place for storylines.

I have always believed that, going back to MMO's like EQ and SWG, or non-MMO games such as Diablo. When I'm playing with friends and others, I'm not interested in stopping and waiting for story dialogue to play out, I want to play with my friends.

I said: I do not believe that MMO's are the place for single player narratives attempting to co-exist in a persistent online world. The best MMO's I've ever played didn't have storyline narratives, they had large open worlds for you to make your way in (and thus, your own story)

MMO's since WoW have followed that formula of having single player narrative questlines entangled with multiplayer persistent worlds, and it automatically and inherently breaks the immersion right off the bat when you have thousands of players who have all taken part in the same story. Running around in Tamriel in ESO, knowing that every other player you encounter is also The Vestige, has done the same Fighter's Guild / Mage's Guild stories, done the same Undaunted stories, etc. is inherently immersion breaking. There is no immersion to be had in an MMO storyline, and thus, the storyline automatically suffers by default.

Add in the fact that it is a single player storyline included in a game with multiplayer mechanics, and far too often the game play of said single player narratives is dull and bland (I.E.: all the posts in this place asking for increased overland difficulty, because questing is so easy to the point of being tedious).

I don't play MMO's because I am not a fan of the post-WoW MMO formula. I do not think that they make for quality games. They are based more on coercing people to log-in through daily tasks / rewards rather than letting the content speak for itself. I think that MMO's of the past, like EQ and SWG, were far superior in their design. TBH, the only reason why I play ESO is because of the IP of which I am a fan (but the game captures none of what I love about TES outside of lore, which is honestly not my favorite part of TES), and the only reason why I've even remained active as long as I have is due to a great guild that I've joined with great people that I'd honestly and genuinely consider friends, even if they are only online.

Stories in dungeons are one small detail of the overall reasoning to why I don't like MMO's, but I still maintain that group content is no place for storylines.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd hate to see stories removed from dungeons, would just like a story mode.
  • Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I want a really good story, I’ll read a book, watch a tv show or play Final Fantasy VII.

I usually do one proper read/listen per quest, but I find them all a bit rote in ESO. They mostly are not very memorable and follow the general thing of “plz save the day, brave hero, help us unravel the mystery/rescue this person/whatever.”

I’ve played since beta, and taken two characters through all of the original game content and story lines and I did enjoy it all, it actually is quite surprising how well-written some of it is, but at this point I haven’t finished the The Reach storyline, let alone Blackwood. It takes a while to work through and with completely unchallenging mobs to fight, it’s more of a chore to go through each new plot than it is a pleasure or a priority.

I mostly play ESO for the fun with my friends in trials, dungeons and pvp, I came to this game for it’s MMO-ness, the fact that it’s set in the Scrolls universe is just a nice bonus to me.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This most person cares muchly for the storyline
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunatly this is not the only game going like this. Its not a game problem but a player problem.

In another MMO, you will hear *spacebar* all the time, because doing spacebar bypass every stories.
    Happily, in this MMO, people can choose story mode to do it at their own speed. And each new instance with a story is launched as a SOLO mode, with a solo difficulty.

People complain about bots, but they are acting as bots most of the time.

Sad.
    My most recent characters
    AD - Chjara NB
    -
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not at all. They should be their own little stories, so there's some context to group experience, and the yearly release plan needs to be retooled.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Those Monsters!!!
    I usually take the time to solo a Dungeons First time for the story before ever pugging
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, my daughter recently started to play and due to her disability we have to go slow. So, thanks to companions, we can walk through a dungeon together and I admire the scenery while she peeks into every container and dark corner.

I have discovered quite a lot about dungeons and their layout doing this and also that my average 25dps is quite adequate for most encounters.

It has been quite enjoyable

(oh, and for her it's ALL about the story)

That’s a major reason why companions were implemented

• Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

So you don't play MMOs because there are stories in the dungeons...?

But, the stories are optional - apart from picking up the quest if you want to - you can just ignore them.

So if you can just ignore them then why does it matter to you if a story exists?

I started with MUDs and then Ultima , Asheron' Call and so on - they have all had stories or an over-arching plot - you cant write a RPG without one. If you do write a game without one it's Counterstrike isn't it? And then it's a multi-player game but it's never a MMORPG which is what EQ was and what ESO is surely?

Agreed, think of DOOM, great gameplay and story is optional.
  • Maya_Nur
    Maya_Nur
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first, stories in dungeons do not affect on the world (in overland at least you see how enemies leave the village after you completed the quest and and helped to defend friendly npc). It don't affect even the Year-long story so we must see "what we are doing now?" and "who are you again?" type of dialogs.
    The second, people who like group content mostly don't care about lore, but only for a gameplay. That's why I laugh when someone tells me that trials are interresting (as long repetetive content), it's just because they mean they find gameplay is interesting, not the story they don't care at all.
    The third, there are always those who want to be the first to show off their achievements and to jump up to the hype train.
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    i like to take in the story dialogue at least once. i'll usually say that in the party chat so that people know.

that being said, i haven't been able to get Red Petal Bastion or Dread Cellar to pop yet.