Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Balmora House & More Items at The Inns Room & Houses Locked Behind Achievements (suggestion) 💒

Neyka
Neyka
Hello everyone, on 3 issues I'd like to have developers attention ♥

★ The first one is regarding a new house/apartment in Balmore. There is currently 3 houses available to own. The Inn at Vivec city, the distant Ald Velothi Harbor House and the Amaya Lake Lodge only available after achievement sadly. I'd like to see some more "classical" apartment with a few rooms added to Balmora town in Vvardenfell. Its a "classical" lore place and no other house gives you that nostalgia to have apartment other then at Balmora. And it's a good place to have one. Vvardenfell is too of an iconic place and I wish Balmora would have its own "door" you can call home :) and I'm sure RP community will appreciate this as well. In my past days as I will tell you below, that would have got me into the game without a doubt.

★ Now, my second issue derives from above issue. That some houses are locked behind achievements - is this hindrance really necessary? I can understand some more exotic houses been locked behind crowns but other houses - what is the gameplay reason for this?

let me tell you my person story. Long time ago my friend tried to get me to play ESO and I asked if they have Morrowind part of the game by default? And obviously it was not at that time and since I did not want to buy two games basically just to play one location for time being, I have passed for a few years I think on this game. In time Morrowind became part of the game and I asked my friend if they have Iconic house some where around Morrowind to own - and Amaya Lake Lodge was the only available as being the closes in terms of mood, however it was behind achievement and I had no desire to grind and fast do all the quests to simply unlock the house so I passed on the game again.

Now, over time I have found my way into the game and I started with Morrowind (as it became part of the game) and I found my enjoyment after so many passed years with the game :) and naturally I have invited my friend who had been asking me the same questions as my other friend was doing about Morrowind, having "classical apartments" available and behold the one he locked his eyes on is locked behind achievement and he had no interest in Ald Velothi Harbor House so I naturally suggested to him another Iconic place to start exploring game - Western Skyrim and Solitude. Obviously there is a classical home there that is - I think - identical at interior levels to Skyrim's Solitude home in original game and obviously he got exited to start there but as naturally it is locked behind achievement and he just passed on all thing again.

So I just ask the question - what reasonable logical meaningful reason why its locked behind achievement? To me personally there is none and shouldn't be locked as it's "personal" enjoyment to decorate any house and own any - and locking behind achievement from where I stand adds nothing. No one needs iconic house in Wester Skyrim or Vvardenfell once you finished all the quests there - you are moving on from this zone to another. It is fun to start iconic zone while enjoying Iconic location and house :) and may be even any zone in general.

★ The final issue/suggestion I have is that Inns have too few items you can place in them. It's 15 items only. Decorating your own house was one of the reasons I stuck with the game to explore further. 15 items is simply not enough to enjoy anything. It should be at list 30 or better 50 items and then you double it to 100 with members pass. I'm sure other houses might need some more items as well, but I haven't decorated them much yet to reach "free" limit. All my friends have been doing modding in Skyrim original game and decorating your own house is one of the addons/mods people are enjoying in Skyrim game so if people cannot properly satisfice their "decorating my house" desire I think its a huge turn off - was for me personally and for my other friend who did not engaged in the game when she wanted to try housing gameplay and found out its too demn limited. So definitely free level for the Inns need to be 50 items and all other houses if not 50 more items - I'd say probably 100 more items, there is simply a lot of empty space left with those big mansions and landscapes type houses. This is actually one of reasons I never go to by big houses in crown store or the ones only available there because - they going to be half empty and its just kills enjoyment of decorating and spending time on it.

Thank you for your attention and I hope developers will address these issues in some way at list so that finally I can lure my other friends into the game. And if you were not aware about those things - well now you know, that people who seek Lore & RP & decorating your house are first of all will look at those things in the game and if they are not there - will simply walk away. My be you will have to even add Wester Skyrim as a default zone ( as part of the game) too like you did with Vvardenfell. Iconic places, they lure people well - I know ^.^
Edited by Neyka on October 1, 2021 2:27AM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree; the available houses in Vvardenfell are great but it would be awesome to also have an apartment or townhouse in Balmorra! It is one of the towns I remember most from TES III and is lovely in ESO as well!

I also want a scowling dunmer houseguest who will growl “Outlander” at me — no, seriously, I would buy him for my Ashfall Cornerclub!
    Edited by Araneae6537 on September 28, 2021 2:18PM
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed on all counts, ESPECIALLY 1 & 3.

In particular, your first point about Balmora and Vvardenfell in general was something that inspired me a couple years ago to take a deep dive into the possibilities of the region and I ended up making this gigantic thread about that very same thing.

Not only are so many of the iconic areas not realizing their potential but so many cities (Balmora included) are just filled with houses that have a locked door on them, fulfilling zero actual purpose. As you can see on my Balmora section, there isn't a lack of houses that could be used. I'd love to see some of them actually get utilized and be turned into player homes.

3 Also is another big issue for me as well. I totally get it and understand if the total max cap of 700 furnishings can't be increased. But what they should do is increase all the other home's limits up to bring them closer to those standards. If Inn rooms even could just have 100 items, that would MASSIVELY enhance the capability to give those homes the love they deserve instead of having to compromise on detail.
    One of my absolute biggest wishes in all of ESO is a larger Vivec City home, mostly due the fact the only possible house in the Vivec City style is so restricting by nature of the Furniture Caps (Something else I also made a thread about 😅). If they would at least increase the furniture cap for Inn rooms, it would be somewhat soften the blow of that problem.

Edited by Vehlir on October 1, 2021 3:50AM
  • Neyka
    Neyka
    I agree; the available houses in Vvardenfell are great but it would be awesome to also have an apartment or townhouse in Balmorra! It is one of the towns I remember most from TES III and is lovely in ESO as well!

I also want a scowling dunmer houseguest who will growl outlander at me — no, seriously, I would buy him for my Ashfall Cornerclub!

They should make house guest for every culture :wink: It's silly fun I must admit.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neyka wrote: »
    Hello everyone, on 3 issues I'd like to have developers attention ♥

★ The first one is regarding a new house/apartment in Balmore. There is currently 3 houses available to own. The Inn at Vivec city, the distant Ald Velothi Harbor House and the Amaya Lake Lodge only available after achievement sadly. I'd like to see some more "classical" apartment with a few rooms added to Balmora town in Vvardenfell. Its a "classical" lore place and no other house gives you that nostalgia to have apartment other then at Balmora. And it's a good place to have one. Vvardenfell is too of an iconic place and I wish Balmora would have its own "door" you can call home :) and I'm sure RP community will appreciate this as well. In my past days as I will tell you below, that would have got me into the game without a doubt.

★ Now, my second issue derives from above issue. That some houses are locked behind achievements - is this hindrance really necessary? I can understand some more exotic houses been locked behind crowns but other houses - what is the gameplay reason for this?

let me tell you my person story. Long time ago my friend tried to get me to play ESO and I asked if they have Morrowind part of the game by default? And obviously it was not at that time and since I did not want to buy two games basically just to play one location for time being, I have passed for a few years I think on this game. In time Morrowind became part of the game and I asked my friend if they have Iconic house some where around Morrowind to own - and Amaya Lake Lodge was the only available as being the closes in terms of mood, however it was behind achievement and I had no desire to grind and fast do all the quests to simply unlock the house so I passed on the game again.

Now, over time I have found my way into the game and I started with Morrowind (as it became part of the game) and I found my enjoyment after so many passed years with the game :) and naturally I have invited my friend who had been asking me the same questions as my other friend was doing about Morrowind, having "classical apartments" available and behold the one he locked his eyes on is locked behind achievement and he had no interest in Ald Velothi Harbor House so I naturally suggested to him another Iconic place to start exploring game - Western Skyrim and Solitude. Obviously there is a classical home there that is - I think - identical at interior levels to Skyrim's Solitude home in original game and obviously he got exited to start there but as naturally it is locked behind achievement and he just passed on all thing again.

So I just ask the question - what reasonable logical meaningful reason why its locked behind achievement? To me personally there is none and shouldn't be locked as it's "personal" enjoyment to decorate any house and own any - and locking behind achievement from where I stand adds nothing. No one needs iconic house in Wester Skyrim or Vvardenfell once you finished all the quests there - you are moving on from this zone to another. It is fun to start iconic zone while enjoying Iconic location and house :) and may be even any zone in general.

★ The final issue/suggestion I have is that Inns have too few items you can place in them. It's 15 items only. Decorating your own house was one of the reasons I stuck with the game to explore further. 15 items is simply not enough to enjoy anything. It should be at list 30 or better 50 items and then you double it to 100 with members pass. I'm sure other houses might need some more items as well, but I haven't decorated them much yet to reach "free" limit. All my friends have been doing modding in Skyrim original game and decorating your own house is one of the addons/mods people are enjoying in Skyrim game so if people cannot properly satisfice their "decorating my house" desire I think its a huge turn off - was for me personally and for my other friend who did not engaged in the game when she wanted to try housing gameplay and found out its too demn limited. So definitely free level for the Inns need to be 50 items and all other houses if not 50 more items - I'd say probably 100 more items, there is simply a lot of empty space left with those big mansions and landscapes type houses. This is actually one of reasons I never go to by big houses in crown store or the ones only available there because - they going to be half empty and its just kills enjoyment of decorating and spending time on it.

Thank you for your attention and I hope developers will address these issues in some way at list so that finally I can lure my other friends into the game. And if you were not aware about those things - well now you know, that people who seek Lore & RP & decorating your house are first of all will look at those things in the game and if they are not there - will simply walk away. My be you will have to even add Wester Skyrim as a default zone ( as part of the game) too like you did with Vvardenfell. Iconic places, they lure people well - I know ^.^

in games like oblivion and skyrim u cant just buy a house either often u have to complete a quest for it to receive it - why should that be diffrent in eso? there its likly the achievment of a rly simple quest

if ur friend played the old tes games they should know that u cant get a house 10min into the game
  • Neyka
    Neyka
    Vehlir wrote: »

In particular, your first point about Balmora and Vvardenfell in general was something that inspired me a couple years ago to take a deep dive into the possibilities and unrealized potential of the region and I ended up making this gigantic thread about that very same thing:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/405136/the-great-vvardenfell-housing-renewal-proposal-of-2e-582/p1

Not only are so many of the iconic areas not realizing their potential but so many cities (Balmora included) are just filled with houses that have a locked door on them, fulfilling zero actual purpose. As you can see on my Balmora section, there isn't a lack of houses that could be used. I'd love to see some of them actually get utilized and be turned into player homes.

3 Also is another big issue for me as well. I totally get it and understand if the total max cap of 700 furnishings can't be increased. But what they should do is increase all the other home's limits up to bring them closer to those standards. If Inn rooms even could just have 100 items, that would MASSIVELY enhance the capability to give those homes the love they deserve instead of having to compromise on detail.
    One of my absolute biggest wishes in all of ESO is a larger Vivec City home, mostly due the fact the only possible house in the Vivec City style is so restricting by nature of the Furniture Caps (Something else I also made a thread about 😅). If they would at least increase the furniture cap for Inn rooms, it would be somewhat soften the blow of that problem.

it seems they are not really familiar that many people who are not primarily driven by leveling or PVP enjoy such things as you spoke above and that's what gets them started to explore game further and deeper, I'm for sure such a person and I know a few good people who are alike, not even mentioning casual players and RP community in general. Most if not all Asian MMORPG games have a strong emphasis on the housing and decoration of them, because they know it keeps people in the game.

Yeah item cap is an issue. My in game friends wanted to buy a big landscape house for the guild from the store but realized even with membership cap half of the space will be empty and we dropped on the whole idea just settling with middle class house :D haha. No point to own if there is not much you can do with it. May be they need to reevaluate the whole idea about how housing even structured. Like I see some zones having 3 houses very near to each other, and some zones 0 houses.

Would be cool to have at list 1 inn in each city in the zone ( and I do not understand why they do not offer some decor with Inn rooms, to be place only at inn rooms automatically and not something you can take with you - many people might find it a turn off having empty inn room as a first house, once you figure out and become more comfortable with the game you can decorate your inn room as you like)

So back to my idea - 1 inn room in every city/town then 1 apartment (basically just a door) and then 1 middle size house and 1 big house and 1 exotic for the crown store. That something I ideally would like to see for each zone. I know not all zones are hospitable and some serve as a questing/story zone primarily but there are plenty zones that can be filled properly. And nothing complicated to add into the game. This is sort of a pipe dream that I do not count them to implement but I do strongly wish to see achievements taken down from some houses - from all actually of them - and some houses added where it very strongly makes sense like in Balmora. And that item cap needs to rise without a doubt.

I recall leaving game for some time and coming back to check on it, as new DLCs been added and I obviously decided to see how's my house is doing and wanted to continue decorate it but recalled why I never did finish - item cap limit (with membership) and that was a sad feeling lol :D So, housing is a very important thing and its good that this game has this - but it needs to grow and allow people for some creative expression through decoration. My other in game friend finally got himself huge mansion and invited me to see, and he did fun job on decorating one room but had no item space to finish the house and I was like "damn I will never get my hands on this huge mansions" because simply they gonna be empty all the time. You can create illusion of furnished rooms and corridors and backyards by placing big stuff but if you are always thinking about cap its simply not enjoyable.

True, I wish they would finish building Vivec City lol and indeed will add some big apartment to the city to own. But that's super dreaming I guess, hope simple things will be addressed at list :wink:
  • Neyka
    Neyka

in games like oblivion and skyrim u cant just buy a house either often u have to complete a quest for it to receive it - why should that be diffrent in eso? there its likly the achievment of a rly simple quest

if ur friend played the old tes games they should know that u cant get a house 10min into the game

Why would he/she need waist 10 mins in game, run around do quest that they do not want to do and force themselves to play if all other houses can be bought in store any way? Or with gold without any achievement? What logical reason is there for gameplay? Exotic and special houses already closed behind crowns - why there is "achievement block"???

Stand alone Skyrim is a different experience, you are indeed starting from the "low" to "high" status as you play within city - this is an experience game offers. This is MMO style game and houses are for players fun and not part of story/quest progression - Ideally should be. There shouldn't be any restrictions unless gameplay wise. Any time game forces you to do something it is only annoyance especially in other part - as with other big houses - it is allowed to have them without any achievement. Game needs to be coherent, it cannot allow something and at the same time lock something else of similar behind condition. it's 101 game design principles. And other reasons "why" I have said before.

If people want to buy this game and start in Wester Skyrim and get that house from the store - so be it I say. Game shouldn't care how people will start or where as long as they are engaged. How this could be a turn off for people I have also presented.

• Neyka
    Neyka
    In particular, your first point about Balmora and Vvardenfell in general was something that inspired me a couple years ago to take a deep dive into the possibilities and unrealized potential of the region and I ended up making this gigantic thread about that very same thing:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/405136/the-great-vvardenfell-housing-renewal-proposal-of-2e-582/p1

You know what I came to think, you are buying in some cases interiors like for some middle level houses and Inns. Well why not make any "free door" that is not used for quest or whatever else to be available for "tying" to your interior of that culture. There are many houses/apartments that simply the same as Inn room scale and this way you do not need to make a lot of apartments and house interiors but only a few to buy, and make a copy if you want set up another place say and you just link to any door that is available on the map. That would be a more flexible system rather than a fixed location for the house - what if you do not like that location? Obviously you cannot do this for middle houses with yards and big places but for apartments and inner rooms it ads amazing flexibility.

Been looking around just a few hours ago for a new house as Im moving to new zone to adventure in and some places just boring, not inspiring and ugly. Some other places I walked by are so neat and lovely but there are no houses to purchase there even tho plenty standing around. Some houses are located in such spots where there is some story/quest been outplayed and npcs even if you done with it still talking about it and outplaying it, including environment that reflects this and its all right in front of your house lol. I'd definitely think they need to take another look at housing system.
    Edited by Neyka on September 28, 2021 10:37AM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Neyka The homes that you cannot buy with gold until completing an achievement, you can always by with Crowns any time you wish. And if you’re a brand new player, it will take a while to build up gold-earning potential anyway, so buying it with gold ten minutes into the game is hardly an option in any case.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stand alone Skyrim is a different experience, you are indeed starting from the "low" to "high" status as you play within city - this is an experience game offers. This is MMO style game and houses are for players fun and not part of story/quest progression - Ideally should be. There shouldn't be any restrictions unless gameplay wise. Any time game forces you to do something it is only annoyance especially in other part - as with other big houses - it is allowed to have them without any achievement. Game needs to be coherent, it cannot allow something and at the same time lock something else of similar behind condition. it's 101 game design principles. And other reasons "why" I have said before.

If people want to buy this game and start in Wester Skyrim and get that house from the store - so be it I say. Game shouldn't care how people will start or where as long as they are engaged. How this could be a turn off for people I have also presented.

But some houses are part of stories. Like Hall of the Lunar Champion is an obvious example, and most of the other houses that require an achievment are big important mansions which wouldn't be sold to some random schmuck who just appeared in town.

Although, I personally don't even get how such simple achievments are an issue. Like why play if you're not going to do the quests which will give you gold, xp, and also the ability to buy achievment furniture.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭

Why would he/she need waist 10 mins in game, run around do quest that they do not want to do and force themselves to play if all other houses can be bought in store any way? Or with gold without any achievement? What logical reason is there for gameplay? Exotic and special houses already closed behind crowns - why there is "achievement block"???

ok lets assume u remove achievment lock

new person joins game and wanna do housing - finds cool medium sice house - looks at price 800k+ for empty house...

2 options here
    1. buy gold which is against terms of service
    2. PLAY THE GAME like go for quest or do pvp

even if u buy the house with crowns than u have a empty house and furnishing isnt cheap either and the cool stuff is locked behind achievments (and this should definitly stay)

and u just CANT buy anything with crowns

housing is and will be endgame
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭

You know what I came to think, you are buying in some cases interiors like for some middle level houses and Inns. Well why not make any "free door" that is not used for quest or whatever else to be available for "tying" to your interior of that culture. There are many houses/apartments that simply the same as Inn room scale and this way you do not need to make a lot of apartments and house interiors but only a few to buy, and make a copy if you want set up another place say and you just link to any door that is available on the map. That would be a more flexible system rather than a fixed location for the house - what if you do not like that location? Obviously you cannot do this for middle houses with yards and big places but for apartments and inner rooms it ads amazing flexibility.

Been looking around just a few hours ago for a new house as Im moving to new zone to adventure in and some places just boring, not inspiring and ugly. Some other places I walked by are so neat and lovely but there are no houses to purchase there even tho plenty standing around. Some houses are located in such spots where there is some story/quest been outplayed and npcs even if you done with it still talking about it and outplaying it, including environment that reflects this and its all right in front of your house lol. I'd definitely think they need to take another look at housing system.

thats a nice idea
  • Neyka
    Neyka
    @Neyka The homes that you cannot buy with gold until completing an achievement, you can always by with Crowns any time you wish. And if you’re a brand new player, it will take a while to build up gold-earning potential anyway, so buying it with gold ten minutes into the game is hardly an option in any case.

That is correct - buying via crown store ignores achievement requirement even if it's says under. Sure, for some it will not be an option to buy into 10 minutes, unless you have friends who can gift you that gold - that some how escaped you as my case about playing with friends :)

Nevertheless achievement condition is pointless even if you will use gold to get it. Not everyone would be willing rush into the store to buy house while they are in "trying game" mod. I do not see any value or reason nor any of my fellow players or friends. Achievements are for fun and not to lock some content behind. I can say same about some furnishing items that are locked behind achievements - complete nonsense. In most cases its not even a worthy looking thing but just an average decoration item and for no logic its locked behind achievement. Same can be said about colors that are locked behind achievements, but that ties to membership and they did some what sloppy job on this case in my most wonderful view. Balance is the key.

Of course its a very good news to know store houses are not locked behind achievements. My chances to lure my friends again incised now lol.

• Neyka
    Neyka

But some houses are part of stories. Like Hall of the Lunar Champion is an obvious example, and most of the other houses that require an achievment are big important mansions which wouldn't be sold to some random schmuck who just appeared in town.

Although, I personally don't even get how such simple achievments are an issue. Like why play if you're not going to do the quests which will give you gold, xp, and also the ability to buy achievment furniture.

How people play is not of game concern. As long as they play and it doesn't ruin gameplay for other people, which in this case it doesn't if you are up for that achievement - if you want house be at the end as achievement so be it, if you have cash to buy now or crowns so be it - how people play is not developers concern as long as they are playing and happy. Rather simple.
  • Neyka
    Neyka

new person joins game and wanna do housing - finds cool medium sice house - looks at price 800k+ for empty house...

2 options here

even if u buy the house with crowns than u have a empty house and furnishing isnt cheap either and the cool stuff is locked behind achievments (and this should definitly stay)

May be he/she wants leveling in one zone and house in another? :) May be she/he has friends that can share that gold?

True some furnishing locked behind achievements as well - which is nonsense again. If it will be end game it defies everything else - because by that time you are done with everything - I see that You do not have knack regarding such a delicate psychological issue regarding housing at all I must say - completely have no understanding of how some people are playing and why its important entry to the game that should be always available to the player and not be end game thing - there is a reason why pretty much all Asian games incorporate it into games DURING game play and not at the end. I have pretty clearly explained based on my personal example why it matters.

Like for example they did smart move with free first Inn Room but then botched it with low item cap for people to explore and get comfy with this feature and it simply drags on to seeking furniture, to understanding how its created where to get it and so and so on, expanding your desire to further explore into the game. I understand people who are looking for PVP or Leveling or dungeons or some end game content will not get it most likely - but as I used myself as an example such people are not the only one who are playing or interested to get into the game. I used my friends as an example who cannot lock with the game as long as they do not feel comfortable and easy access with housing feature. Because at first, this is what they are looking for.

From where I stand that achievement and low item cap hinders to attract new players - that's all there is to it. And yeah ,may be you are right, that some low level houses and mid class houses too pricey as well - which I would totally agree. Because instead of playing people will see price, look at chat and see gold offers and go buy it to get a house - and this is unbalance on the part of the developer that shouldn't be there. Do they offer gold in crown store? I haven't seen, may be they should lol.
    Edited by Neyka on September 28, 2021 10:29PM
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭

2 options here

May be he/she wants leveling in one zone and house in another? :) May be she/he has friends that can share that gold?

True some furnishing locked behind achievements as well - which is nonsense again. If it will be end game it defies everything else - because by that time you are done with everything - I see that You do not have knack regarding such a delicate psychological issue regarding housing at all I must say - completely have no understanding of how some people are playing and why its important entry to the game that should be always available to the player and not be end game thing - there is a reason why pretty much all Asian games incorporate it into games DURING game play and not at the end. I have pretty clearly explained based on my personal example why it matters.

Like for example they did smart move with free first Inn Room but then botched it with low item cap for people to explore and get comfy with this feature and it simply drags on to seeking furniture, to understanding how its created where to get it and so and so on, expanding your desire to further explore into the game. I understand people who are looking for PVP or Leveling or dungeons or some end game content will not get it most likely - but as I used myself as an example such people are not the only one who are playing or interested to get into the game. I used my friends as an example who cannot lock with the game as long as they do not feel comfortable and easy access with housing feature. Because at first, this is what they are looking for.

From where I stand that achievement and low item cap hinders to attract new players - that's all there is to it. And yeah ,may be you are right, that some low level houses and mid class houses too pricey as well - which I would totally agree. Because instead of playing people will see price, look at chat and see gold offers and go buy it to get a house - and this is unbalance on the part of the developer that shouldn't be there. Do they offer gold in crown store? I haven't seen, may be they should lol.

no they are not selling gold in crown store but its allowed to trade crowns for gold

maybe u get something wrong here eso is not a online housing simulator - its an mmorpg fokused on fighting and battles which include pve (trials dungoen and quest) and pvp (cyro bgs imp city) the housing is kinda the reward for doing that activitis - by being good at one of the things i listed above u unlock various diffrent houses earn gold and unlock more furnishings

what u (or ur friends) are looking for isnt eso its a housing simulator - for u to have fun with the game we basicly would need to remove combat most interaction between players and gold and just make it a house simulator where u start with a free house with free furnishing endless capacity and something like no clip or flight (btw the cap is there to keep the server alive)

and btw dont get me wrong i love housing and have fully decoratet 3 large houses (so far) but if i just would get everything as easy as u would like to i wouldnt have as much fun doing it cause right now everytime i see some furnishing (or house) i worked hard for i am a bit happy cause i know what afford it was to create something cool and i can be everytime a bit proud for completing e.g. all vet trials to show of the trophies

and btw the way it is setup currently is pretty good u get a free room at the start and some basic furnishing and if u try it and have fun with it the game rewards u for playing it by unlocking new stuff everytime u complete something big (only issue is the houses are 4x to expensive (speeking of the crown only houses))

for me a sandbox game without any kind of progress is not as much fun and as it seams others see that too cause eso has quit many players and i doubt that would still be the case if the normal server would be like the pts where u have everything instantly unlocked and no motivation to complete some harder tasks

and i m sorry to say but if the stuff i described before rly is what u want than ur just playing to wrong game!
    Edited by KhajiitLivesMatter on September 28, 2021 10:50PM
  • Neyka
    Neyka

and i m sorry to say but if the stuff i described before rly is what u want than ur just playing to wrong game!

Nop, its pretty sure a right game for me and my friends to play, just a few things needs to be improved :wink: The essentials already there as a playable feature. They need to be improved that's all. I'm not asking for new features to be implemented just expand and remove what doesn't need to be.

Edited by Neyka on September 28, 2021 11:26PM
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with @KhajiitLivesMatter here.

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE housing. It is probably the only reason I stick with this game. Probably the only reason I got super invested in the first place.

But, at the same time, I'm not sure what you're expecting. Okay, you reference Asian MMOs and want a house that you can live in while you explore. Okay, but we got the inn rooms. For a long time I was happy with my Rosy Lion Inn. It is not in any way meant to be a permanent home though. You're meant to progress towards something bigger, as any Pauper to Prince/Princess/Whatever you'd identify as.

This is a basic gaming philosophy. Things do not feel as rewarding to get if things are handed to you. Things feel more rewarding if you have to work for it. Most houses are available after you just get the Pathfinder or Adventurer achievements anyways (doing the main quest of that zone), so the house is the intended reward at the end of all that. It takes maybe a day or two. Good to go, you earned it.

Unfortunately they will also not make this change with achievements, because ZOS is a business. If you want to circumvent something, they want you to use crowns for it. If not, they want you to earn it. They want you to actually play the game. If you're not playing the game, you might not see all the game has to offer, and so you might quit. Which is why they don't make it so that we have all we need to "exist" an ESO in a home, like growable resource nodes etc, because then far less players would show up in cities, it would look dead, people aren't playing the game. And, as in a lot of games, once you have millions of gold and have nothing to do with it, you feel less drive. I felt that a little bit in Diablo 3. I had millions.

But, I do agree with you @Neyka that I would buy an ESO housing simulator at the speed of light. But housing and ESO Plus is also what funds this game, so I don't think they would do that. Maybe in the game's ending puffs of steam.

It was the same with Skyrim and probably the games before that, but this game has such a freeform and lovely system. The reason people say housing is "endgame" though is that the game wants you to go around and earn all the houses and furnishings, and they don't want you to only get just one house, because that means either they are not making money off you or you are going to be unsatisfied with the constrained limits either way.

Do I also think it's player friendly? No. I'd cut down on the gold and crown cost a bit, and make it so that houses and crown packs are always accessible. But for some reason they are determined to cling to this "rush to buy" system that nobody likes but has no choice but to do.

But, anyways. I'd love to see more Vvardenfell and Alinor homes.
    Edited by TeruKisuke on September 29, 2021 12:01AM
  • Neyka
    Neyka
    TeruKisuke wrote: »

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE housing. It is probably the only reason I stick with this game. Probably the only reason I got super invested in the first place.

I don't expect to see anything per say, I just hope people who develop this game will see value in what I have shared and how I myself and some of my people struggled to "stick" with the game. And hopefully they will remove hindrances for other people to more easily get in as I have explained in my example of "why" its a good idea to make these adjustments.

♥ Simple things, remove Achievement from any house. (as I have explained why it never worked for me and my buddies and delayed my try of the game for years)

♥ Increase item cap for Inns like a must and in other houses.

♥ In my dream would be fun to see some apartment added for Balmora. (I know there are some other places where it would also make sense but for now Iconic places should have some more variety of choice since iconic locations do attract people from my person observation and adding more houses options simply add more honey to it)

♥ And as a super dream would be neat to be able to tie your interior of house to any door of that culture in the world. But I doubt they will lever revisit housing system and probably it will stay as it is.

No point to reward me house if the "game is over", I want access to house while I'm playing. As I have learned crown store allows you to buy any - and that's wonderful however, I'm not going to crown-buy all the houses (especially if there is a such a limit on items you can decor them with) and like I said there are some lovely big homes that are locked behind achievements while I have moved to new zone to play in and that is annoying that I cannot buy it while playing in that zone.

Im not doing quests to unlock a house, Im doing quest because im enjoying it and its fun, and while Im exploring new zone adventure, I'd like to have option to pick any house, come back there, decor it as another activity and then continue my questing. Nothing over top I am asking for people like my self who enjoy playing this way - considering everything is already in the game anyway. I'm just asking "more friendly" entrance for such people into the game.

Same reason I got super invested in the game - housing :) and then just found my enjoyment with other things. I spoke about this above based on my person example and my friends and how it does matter weather people will stick or pass on the game.

Their business is to keep people happy and provide entertainment service, and attract as much as possible potential costumers - well I have said above how they can attract more people. What they will do with this information is up to them, but I doubt my friends will join me if houses locked behind achievements (even if they gonna crown buy it) there is such a low item cap to furniture :neutral: Not cool.
    Edited by Neyka on September 29, 2021 12:56AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now, my second issue derives from above issue. That some houses are locked behind achievements - is this hindrance really necessary? I can understand some more exotic houses been locked behind crowns but other houses - what is the gameplay reason for this?

Is it necessary? Not at all. Does it make sense that someone would have some familiarity with the area before purchasing a home there? Of course and I expect that is part of the justification. It makes sense.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭

Nop, its pretty sure a right game for me and my friends to play, just a few things needs to be improved :wink: The essentials already there as a playable feature. They need to be improved that's all. I'm not asking for new features to be implemented just expand and remove what doesn't need to be.

1. i wrote more than one sentance - if u quote me pls go a bit more in depth

I don't expect to see anything per say, I just hope people who develop this game will see value in what I have shared and how I myself and some of my people struggled to "stick" with the game. And hopefully they will remove hindrances for other people to more easily get in as I have explained in my example of "why" its a good idea to make these adjustments.

♥ Simple things, remove Achievement from any house. (as I have explained why it never worked for me and my buddies and delayed my try of the game for years)

♥ Increase item cap for Inns like a must and in other houses.

♥ In my dream would be fun to see some apartment added for Balmora. (I know there are some other places where it would also make sense but for now Iconic places should have some more variety of choice since iconic locations do attract people from my person observation and adding more houses options simply add more honey to it)

♥ And as a super dream would be neat to be able to tie your interior of house to any door of that culture in the world. But I doubt they will lever revisit housing system and probably it will stay as it is.

No point to reward me house if the "game is over", I want access to house while I'm playing. As I have learned crown store allows you to buy any - and that's wonderful however, I'm not going to crown-buy all the houses (especially if there is a such a limit on items you can decor them with) and like I said there are some lovely big homes that are locked behind achievements while I have moved to new zone to play in and that is annoying that I cannot buy it while playing in that zone.

Im not doing quests to unlock a house, Im doing quest because im enjoying it and its fun, and while Im exploring new zone adventure, I'd like to have option to pick any house, come back there, decor it as another activity and then continue my questing. Nothing over top I am asking for people like my self who enjoy playing this way - considering everything is already in the game anyway. I'm just asking "more friendly" entrance for such people into the game.

Same reason I got super invested in the game - housing :) and then just found my enjoyment with other things. I spoke about this above based on my person example and my friends and how it does matter weather people will stick or pass on the game.

Their business is to keep people happy and provide entertainment service, and attract as much as possible potential costumers - well I have said above how they can attract more people. What they will do with this information is up to them, but I doubt my friends will join me if houses locked behind achievements (even if they gonna crown buy it) there is such a low item cap to furniture :neutral: Not cool.

i ll ignore my point of view for a sec and will explain to u why zos wont remove achievments :
    - if u have to play more of the normal existing content to unlock stuff like homes player have to spend more time in game - even if u dont like that maybe some never did quest and than get the tast of it
    - if u still dont wanna do that at all cost u can purchase it with crowns which is even better for zos

-> no reason for zos to change it only thing that could happen is that they can lose some money

- increasing the item cap would be cool but dont expect it - if everyone gets 10% more slots than the server has to safe 10% more data too and i can imagine that with many people doing housing and many of them having more then 1 house this could rly make trouble

-"I want access to house while I'm playing" sounds logical - if this is the only way u enjoy it go for it buy it with crowns - yea i know u wont like it but its already possible and like i said before there is 0 reson for zos to change that

no their goal isnt to make as many customers happy as possible
    ther goal is to make as many customers happy as possible while creating the largest amount of profit

maybe they lose 2% people
    but if 5% now buy the house with crown cause they wanna play like u they still staisfied most players and made more profit
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're meant to progress towards something bigger, as any Pauper to Prince/Princess/Whatever you'd identify as.

Pauper to Daedric Prince! Fits ESO's housing progress well. Starting with a simple inn room and ends with some bizarre notable crown/event house.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted certain homes before I even started the game — my primary goals in starting ESO were to revisit Morrowind and to have my own Telvanni wizard tower. Now that I had to wait TWO YEARS for because it was not available for gold or Crowns in all that time! That did frustrate me, but at least there were other homes which I enjoyed from the start and also enjoyed working toward. There are quite a few inn rooms that you can get for free right away and I enjoyed starting with these but also wanting more, bought the Alinor Crest Townhouse furnished for Crowns and then gradually made it more and more my own as I leveled up my crafting, learned furnishing plans and gathered materials, etc. For me this was a good balance — I got to have some of what I wanted in regards to housing right away by purchasing from the Crown store, but I have gotten additional enjoyment and reward from working toward additional houses and furnishings through many activities, achievements, saving up gold, etc. and some of these things bring me greater pleasure even now because when I look at them I remember the journey to get there. :)
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭

No point to reward me house if the "game is over", I want access to house while I'm playing.
    Im not doing quests to unlock a house, Im doing quest because im enjoying it and its fun, and while Im exploring new zone adventure, I'd like to have option to pick any house, come back there, decor it as another activity and then continue my questing.

I am not here to purposefully antagonize anyone. So if I do, then I'm sorry. But, respectfully, I have been playing this game for four years, and I still have not "finished the game." Finishing an MMO is difficult if not a near impossibility, considering it adds content constantly. And I understand you want any home from the getgo. But as I mentioned before, one of the house options is unlocked by doing only the main quest, which again would take only a day or two. I would imagine anyone playing the game initially would need a bit longer to even get acquainted with the game and its controls in that span of time. And then, afterwards, there are tons of quests to explore and do, some of them even far better and more memorable than the main quest. Despite having the Hero of Daggerfall achievement I still stumble across quests in that territory that I hadn't even noticed before. So, I struggle to comprehend how someone can "finish the game" in two days. Furnishing a home very, VERY rarely takes two days too. I see people spend months trying to finish one house. Take it from me, who has a bunch of crown houses sitting there as I snatched them up during limited time and crown sales so that I don't miss out again. I have decorated maybe 10-15 homes with dedicated progress (and even then a lot of those are probably unfinished) but have many empty sitting ones waiting for me. Trust me; you have time.

Even after the "Savior of Morrowind" achievement, which you need to buy the house, there is probably 25 more quests you probably haven't even ran into yet. I run past them all the time and wonder what questlines they could contain. Plus there are also daily quests you can do in Vivec City. Morrowind/Vvardenfell is an expansion, so there is plenty of content to do there.

Your home does not disappear as soon as you run over to another zone to see what's happening there. It is still waiting for you to come back home with a convenient teleport button. I wish homes were cheaper, but the achievement system is there because, again, they want you to earn it. Otherwise they have literally no other incentive to entice you with. It is their highest tier of reward they can possibly give. That is why we get them for free in events from time to time.

Would homes take far less time to decorate if they made the furnishing grind much less insufferable? Yes, they would, and I really wish they'd improve that experience, and wish people cried out about that more, instead of the furnishing slot issue which was already addressed at the top of the forum (one that many seem to not notice or willingly ignore just because it's becoming an older post). But the design process also takes a long while, not just the crafting and placing of objects.

I agree with increasing the limit of inn rooms to better match the loading screen pictures that they present to us of these filled apartments, as 30 is not enough. I feel like these constrained limits on smaller houses is to get us to buy the bigger homes though. But again, it's not that I like this system either. It is just that I also keep in mind what will (probably) not happen. Just like how I will (probably) not change peoples minds on forum discussions even if I discuss openly like this. But, it's just a thought.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I understand the desire to be able to buy a home without completing an achievement, but for a little perspective, there used to be an achievement requirement for the small and medium homes when housing launched. They removed those not long after but kept them for the large and notable homes. Why? Because they are the most expensive and you can bypass the achievement by purchasing the home with Crowns.

The smaller homes were easier to get because the achievements weren't as "hard" (for example, you only had to complete the Narsis questline to buy Velothi Reverie) and the gold costs were much lower. But for, say Amaya, it's a really large home and costs over 1M gold to purchase. So, the achievement there is to become "Savior of Vvardenfell" (or some such), which requires you not only to complete the main storyline, but all the delves and world bosses, PLUS finding all of Vivec's sermons and maybe completing the Vvardenfell map. So, yes, that's a lot, but the idea is to "encourage" players to purchase it with crowns.

Like it or not, housing is a moneymaker for ZOS, which is why the chapters after Morrowind only give us one house we can buy with gold (in addition to the inn room), and they have all been large homes - so over 1M gold.

I'm not arguing that these achievements should stay, I'm just explaining why they are there, whether you agree or not. It's doubtful they will remove the achievements for these large homes, as I'm sure they generate revenue from players buying them with Crowns instead.

As for the size of inn rooms - that has been a pain point and one discussed many times. I'd love to see them raise it to 30/60 or even 25/50. Going much higher and you lose the distinction between inn rooms and apartments (which are 50/100). And speaking of apartments, I'd love to see more of those, since we only have the three that launched with housing. And, many players have been requesting one in Balmora since basically Morrowind's launch.

I'm glad that you've been enjoying housing so much in ESO, and I hope you continue to do so.
  • Neyka
    Neyka

I am not here to purposefully antagonize anyone. So if I do, then I'm sorry. But, respectfully, I have been playing this game for four years, and I still have not "finished the game." Finishing an MMO is difficult if not a near impossibility, considering it adds content constantly. And I understand you want any home from the getgo.

I agree with increasing the limit of inn rooms to better match the loading screen pictures that they present to us of these filled apartments, as 30 is not enough. I feel like these constrained limits on smaller houses is to get us to buy the bigger homes though. But again, it's not that I like this system either. It is just that I also keep in mind what will (probably) not happen. Just like how I will (probably) not change peoples minds on forum discussions even if I discuss openly like this. But, it's just a thought.

I'm not quite sure what are you trying to defend here or justify, as in you and some others, when I have crystal clearly explained why it needs to go and why some other people cannot find themselves in the game. Those are rather simple things to address. It doesn't touch any core gameplay features but makes houses more accessible from the start and item cap rise - will only add to more time spent at those houses - more time in game and so on.

I mean if you enjoy grinding for house achievements - your right and you enjoy low item cap your right :) I'm not and would prefer to see a few more houses at some iconic locations. And I have shared how to improve things and attract more people without basically touching any hardcore mechanics of the game. Like literally in written word gave you life examples of how people detract from the game because of simple things.

And adding more housing to Iconic locations is only honey on itself. It's self-evident Is it not? I have pointed that incase it escaped developers that its very important part for some people to start the game at all.

I have to say of course what Im talking is about specific group of people who are interested in these things and it's not something for other people who interested in other things. If developers wish to attract more people (from that specific group) then what I have outlined to change would be apriority.

So, thank you all for your take on this and good luck for developers in their creative endeavor, I think I have said all there is to say. Very much repeating myself at this point.

Now, one tiny thing to add for developers. I have mentioned before my friend who wanted to buy a house in Solitude, using crowns, however there is a label "required achievement" and we wrongfully assumed that even in crown store you need to unlock the house first before able to use it - of course my friend lost any enthusiasm to engage in game, so few days later when I said you can actually - well - the enthusiasm to get into game was killed and now he is not interested. So my suggestion - make it somewhere clear that you do not need achievement to own and use house if buying via store or remove that "red achievement required" on the house presentation screen while its in crown store. Actually, I have seen a few posts around as I recall, where people were asking about this - being confused on the matter of hanging "red achievement indicator" under house in store. Do take a look at it my beloved developers ♥
    Edited by Neyka on October 1, 2021 12:53AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree that they should be available right away. Having an achievement requirement to get the nicest homes in the land makes them feel special, and is a good way of preserving their status. Whether it's by achievement or by crowns, not everyone can have all the nice big houses.

The smaller homes are available to everyone but the nicest homes are only available to the richest or most noteworthy adventurers. This is a good way to bring the flavor of the world into the housing space.

Besides you can do a lot with the medium homes if you're creative.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 1, 2021 3:25AM
  • Neyka
    Neyka
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I don't agree that they should be available right away. Having an achievement requirement to get the nicest homes in the land makes them feel special, and is a good way of preserving their status. Whether it's by achievement or by crowns, not everyone can have all the nice big houses.

The smaller homes are available to everyone but the nicest homes are only available to the richest or most noteworthy adventurers. This is a good way to bring the flavor of the world into the housing space.

Besides you can do a lot with the medium homes if you're creative.

Well, if they don't interested to attract more players then sure, keep things as they are - I have no objection if its their business plan. Incase if they are looking to expand their player pool they might consider things I have spoken and why some potential players pass on the game. There is nothing to argue really or agree about. It will make more people to join.

If you want to grind for achievement then its your right - and its your personal experience - has nothing todo how other people will get that house. The achievement should be but it should be just that - an achievement and may be it can give you special furniture for that house and some more item space but its unwise locking house behind it. Achievements are just for fun and personal, shouldn't interfere with gameplay as such ideally.

Your idea of "I have and they dont" and therefor it makes me feel good about it is flowed for simple reason, everyone can by any house from the store. You are talking nonsense. There is no flavor other then its your personal experience of gameplay that takes place in your own head where you "compare" with what others have. This "available to the richest or most noteworthy adventurers" only exist in your own mind as you experience it, other people do not even play this way and have even no interest to see their gameplay this way - as I said your personal experience is your personal - game shouldn't be concerned how you play the game as long as you are playing. The Question is: Do Developers want to expand their player pool or they are ok with numbers they have?

I for example have this personal situation. What keeps me around for now is fun with exploring and decorating houses + quests and discovering lore. I'm thinking my moment to drop game will become once I will get my hands on all small and mid houses and will get to the point of explore big houses, however I already know I can never fully furniture them to a satisfying capacity - to me they are unplayable (that is not even consider some being locked behind achievement) that means simply what? Well, I will leave this game and come back to a game that allows me to properly not only quest but have a complete housing experience and not just only own huge mansion so that it would be in my possession without me able to do anything about it but decorate far beyond this game allows. Since everything already in the game - do developers want to expand on what they have and allow more people enter and keep people for as long as possible in the game or they have no interest and happy with players numbers? That's all there is too it.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just my conception, the game only allows you to have the home if you did something noteworthy or spend a lot of money.

And PLENTY of people value exclusivity, which makes them like their big houses more. They even give you a title for some of them, to show off to others you have this house without them visiting.

I would wager that far more people base their purchasing decisions on rarity than on whether or not they can get a nice house in a game they don't yet play. I have met very, very few people who expected to have a mansion in the game right away without real money being paid to the company and doing no adventuring.

I think a lot of people like games that have cool stuff for achievements. And those are houses are the cool stuff. It's not interfering with gameplay because you can still decorate a lot of homes without achievement for cheap.

The housing limit is currently technologically impossible to fix. They want to do it but can't.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 2, 2021 11:17AM
  • Neyka
    Neyka
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    It's not just my conception, the game only allows you to have the home if you did something noteworthy or spend a lot of money.

And PLENTY of people value exclusivity, which makes them like their big houses more. They even give you a title for some of them, to show off to others you have this house without them visiting.

I would wager that far more people base their purchasing decisions on rarity than on whether or not they can get a nice house in a game they don't yet play. I have met very, very few people who expected to have a mansion in the game right away without real money being paid to the company and doing no adventuring.

I think a lot of people like games that have cool stuff for achievements. And those are houses are the cool stuff. It's not interfering with gameplay because you can still decorate a lot of homes without achievement for cheap.

The housing limit is currently technologically impossible to fix. They want to do it but can't.

*face palm* after I have wrote multiple times pretty much same thing over and over again... No one reads before replying these days lol? :*