The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Toxic players are abusing symbols in their nicknames to prevent reports!

Ravenwatch_Warlord
I believe many PvP players know what I'm talking about. This has been abused for a long time, and lately, it's getting even more. Most of these people are toxic tbagger trolls, so again this happened to me recently. This dude and his friends were tbagging me, and I include a screenshot here. The problem is the only way to report this guy is to interact with them or if they type something into the chat, but if non of this happens, they can get away with it very easily. So what I'm looking for is some clarity from ZOS. This has been reported in the past on the forums and Reddit, but no clear answers. The fix is pretty simple don't let them use custom symbols in their nickname or at least make the death recap interactable, so we can right-click and report them.

Screenshot-20210928-204310.jpg

• AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can take a screenshot, you can report.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honey those aren't "custom symbols" they're actually characters in other languages. You can type all of those on an QWERTY keyboard, like ß, which is a German letter.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those are available on PS4. Imagine they're probably available on other platforms as well.
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you reporting these people anyway?

• Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Froil wrote: »
    Honey those aren't "custom symbols" they're actually characters in other languages. You can type all of those on an QWERTY keyboard, like ß, which is a German letter.

Exactly. What is most funny, English with Latin are probably only two European languages that do not have unique letters ^^

Plus, why do you think they are t-bagging with intention of insult? I rarely pvping but taking a place, especially in stealth, above killed enemy to prevent from res, make sense for me ^^
  • Ravenwatch_Warlord
    Ippokrates wrote: »

Exactly. What is most funny, English with Latin are probably only two European languages that do not have unique letters ^^

Plus, why do you think they are t-bagging with intention of insult? I rarely pvping but taking a place, especially in stealth, above killed enemy to prevent from res, make sense for me ^^

Well, they might be in another language but what I meant is that it's a pain to report these people. I can't minimize the game whenever this happens to do research about foreign languages and change my keyboard layout in order to send a single report.

And three people standing on a corpse spamming crouch for 5 mins just for stealth? Actually, I have a record of this happening and I like to share it but I can't because their names are visible in the video, and because of nonsense ZOS rules about naming and shaming, I can't do it, unfortunately. What I wanted to do is to send the video to the ZOS through a report and let them decide, but I don't know how to do that because I have to include a nickname in the report form, and I don't know how to type this thing...
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »

Well, they might be in another language but what I meant is that it's a pain to report these people. I can't minimize the game whenever this happens to do research about foreign languages and change my keyboard layout in order to send a single report.

And three people standing on a corpse spamming crouch for 5 mins just for stealth? Actually, I have a record of this happening and I like to share it but I can't because their names are visible in the video, and because of nonsense ZOS rules about naming and shaming, I can't do it, unfortunately. What I wanted to do is to send the video to the ZOS through a report and let them decide, but I don't know how to do that because I have to include a nickname in the report form, and I don't know how to type this thing...

Just type in latin, if you attached video, CS will see their nick anyway and it will be their problem to find those guy and verify it ;p

EDIT: also, why were you spending 5 minutes in death, instead of res at base?
    Edited by Ippokrates on September 30, 2021 3:23AM
  • Alarde
    Alarde
    ✭✭✭
    There's a addon who let you quick report by aiming at the person, even from afar.
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but I don't know how to do that because I have to include a nickname in the report form, and I don't know how to type this thing...

Use the codes shown here to type these symbols. Hold 'alt' and press the 4 number codes on your number pad, not the top numbers. Or just copy/paste the letters.
    http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Life/Computer/European.htm
    Edited by Monte_Cristo on September 30, 2021 4:17AM
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    tbagin is allowed anyways (normaly no one asks to stop so i just assume this time u didnt either)
    NOTABLE-01387.jpg
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    tbagin is allowed anyways (normaly no one asks to stop so i just assume this time u didnt either)
    NOTABLE-01387.jpg

And it becomes disallowed as soon as someone puts in chat that you should stop.

This is their official statement on the matter: "The act of standing and squatting over another NPC or character to teabag them can be considered a form of harassment which can be a violation of the Terms of Service (ToS)."
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    NOTABLE-01387.jpg

This is their official statement on the matter: "The act of standing and squatting over another NPC or character to teabag them can be considered a form of harassment which can be a violation of the Terms of Service (ToS)."

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/terms-of-service
    didnt find ur quote

and likly cause its not mentioned in the tos there are threads like "Was it ever confirmed if tea-bagging is against TOS now?"
    where i got the picture from
    Edited by KhajiitLivesMatter on September 30, 2021 5:17AM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NOTABLE-01387.jpg

didnt find ur quote

and likly cause its not mentioned in the tos there are threads like "Was it ever confirmed if tea-bagging is against TOS now?"

And if you had read that thread in its entirety, you would have found Gina's official post there:

"As with many things in-game, context is very important. The act of standing and squatting over another NPC or character to teabag them can be considered a form of harassment which can be a violation of the Terms of Service (ToS). As with all forms of harassment, if a player asks you to stop a behavior, you need to stop. If you continue to teabag someone that asks you to stop, that is a violation of the ToS and may lead to your account being suspended or even permanently banned. Hope this helps clear things up."

The quote I put first is from official communications from Support directly to players.
    Edited by virtus753 on September 30, 2021 5:20AM
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I believe many PvP players know what I'm talking about. This has been abused for a long time, and lately, it's getting even more. Most of these people are toxic tbagger trolls, so again this happened to me recently. This dude and his friends were tbagging me, and I include a screenshot here. The problem is the only way to report this guy is to interact with them or if they type something into the chat, but if non of this happens, they can get away with it very easily. So what I'm looking for is some clarity from ZOS. This has been reported in the past on the forums and Reddit, but no clear answers. The fix is pretty simple don't let them use custom symbols in their nickname or at least make the death recap interactable, so we can right-click and report them.

Screenshot-20210928-204310.jpg

Ouch losing 2k+ telvars. Maybe I would be a little salty too xDD
    but it happens.. Unfortunately..
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Using symbols to circumvent filters is a tale as old as time... or at least as old as the internet itself.
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes i have noticed lately in pvp some players are changing their names to more complex ones, the I and l are the most tricky, they put those on the name like IlIsomethingIIl

Some are capital i and lowercase L and you can't tell which is l or i in caps.

I guess they do something that should be reported, that is what i think when i see those names.
  • Ravenwatch_Warlord
    GorHanis wrote: »
    Sadly PVP is toxic, in all games. [snip]

[qoute]Well, they might be in another language...[/qoute]

LOL, migh be... that is another language, so education alert too.

First, try to understand what's the topic [snip], I was not complaining about anything, and if you reread my post, you'll see that I was talking to ZOS directly. [snip] In case you didn't understand what the topic is, I'm asking for a QoL feature here. All I say is reporting a player must be easier than this.

[edited for baiting & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 1, 2021 12:19PM
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    First, try to understand what's the topic [snip], I was not complaining about anything, and if you reread my post, you'll see that I was talking to ZOS directly. [snip] In case you didn't understand what the topic is, I'm asking for a QoL feature here. All I say is reporting a player must be easier than this.

If you want to "talk" ZOS, then report that "tbagging" dudes directly on the proper channels.
    Here you"ll only get the same EULA-bot PC answer.
    [snip]

[edited for baiting & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 1, 2021 12:21PM
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You made a public post and people are giving you public answers. I don't understand how people can get so mad over tbagging lol. Like seriously it gives you an option to leave, why not take it? If you didn't sit there people wouldn't be able to do it. If you don't like that type of play then don't enter a PCP zone because that is always the result.

Heck I even tbagg my wife if I killed her in games or even if she died doing pve content. My whole guild does it we laugh and move on..... Why so serious with the I gotta report for this? Like seriously you have the power to just leave lol

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 1, 2021 12:23PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disallowing non-English characters in names would definitely not be a QoL feature for several reasons:
    1) There are other languages supported than English. It does not seem sensible or fair to disallow any of their alphabet from a name.
    2) Names must be unique and using an alternate spelling of the name you wanted to use may be preferable to choosing a different name altogether.
    3) As has been pointed out, you can look up how to make those characters, but capital I and lowercase l look identical as you can see — would you suggest banning these characters too?
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disallowing non-English characters in names would definitely not be a QoL feature for several reasons:
    1) There are other languages supported than English. It does not seem sensible or fair to disallow any of their alphabet from a name.
    2) Names must be unique and using an alternate spelling of the name you wanted to use may be preferable to choosing a different name altogether.
    3) As has been pointed out, you can look up how to make those characters, but capital I and lowercase l look identical as you can see — would you suggest banning these characters too?

Not only all of that, but when you get to console, those names are approved by the console for the user name, so you would likely have to force people to change user/account names that they have had for nearly 2 decades.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My issue with the special characters is that I sometimes want to whisper the player and I can't figure out how the heck to do it. Maybe someone just slaughtered me and I want to tell them their shoes are ugly or something because well...it's all I've got as a counter.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    NOTABLE-01387.jpg

didnt find ur quote

And if you had read that thread in its entirety, you would have found Gina's official post there:

"As with many things in-game, context is very important. The act of standing and squatting over another NPC or character to teabag them can be considered a form of harassment which can be a violation of the Terms of Service (ToS). As with all forms of harassment, if a player asks you to stop a behavior, you need to stop. If you continue to teabag someone that asks you to stop, that is a violation of the ToS and may lead to your account being suspended or even permanently banned. Hope this helps clear things up."

The quote I put first is from official communications from Support directly to players.

"If a player asks you to stop a behavior, you need to stop"
    thats a important part which was not included in ur first post where u btw wrote tos and not quote from support...
    i tbag sometimes if ther person deserves it - if they wisper me they maybe are rude but NOBODY ever asked to stop that was my point
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    My issue with the special characters is that I sometimes want to whisper the player and I can't figure out how the heck to do it. Maybe someone just slaughtered me and I want to tell them their shoes are ugly or something because well...it's all I've got as a counter.

theres an addon addon which will give u a clickable version of the dude who killedu in chat
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You made a public post and people are giving you public answers. I don't understand how people can get so mad over tbagging lol. Like seriously it gives you an option to leave, why not take it? If you didn't sit there people wouldn't be able to do it. If you don't like that type of play then don't enter a PCP zone because that is always the result.

Heck I even tbagg my wife if I killed her in games or even if she died doing pve content. My whole guild does it we laugh and move on..... Why so serious with the I gotta report for this? Like seriously you have the power to just leave lol

You tbag your wife for 5 minutes? Your whole guild piles on and tbags for 5 minutes, preventing your wife from playing the game while the whole guild laughs? Or did you miss that extended time period in the one post? Doing it at all is childish, immature, and frankly rather stupid, but doing it and moving on is, while not exactly the apex of mature adult behavior, at least innocuous. Doing it for an extended period of time is intentionally interfering with other players.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 1, 2021 12:26PM
  • gamma71
    gamma71
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone getting t bagged for extended periods of time must like it because there's that release button you know you can use to get you in your safe spot again we're there is no evil t baggers.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

You tbag your wife for 5 minutes? Your whole guild piles on and tbags for 5 minutes, preventing your wife from playing the game while the whole guild laughs? Or did you miss that extended time period in the one post? Doing it at all is childish, immature, and frankly rather stupid, but doing it and moving on is, while not exactly the apex of mature adult behavior, at least innocuous. Doing it for an extended period of time is intentionally interfering with other players.

I mean, I think it is dumb too, but how exactly is it interfering with anyone. In PVP, they can, at any time, choose to res elsewhere. It isn't like tbagging is preventing them from doing so. It has no actual impact on anyone in game. Now, it may prevent other players from directly ressing someone, but that isn't a problem, that is part of the gameplay and no different that me stealthing next to a dead player who won't respawn waiting for the inevitable nightblade to show up and try to res.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 1, 2021 12:27PM
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

How is it interfering with other players when people have the option to leave? Lol

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 1, 2021 12:28PM
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On ps4 a lot of players switched their psn IDs to barcodes stuff like "IiIiIi[IiI". I know at least a couple have gone back to having normal names. Dunno why they did it, most weren't known for being toxic.

As I've said before I've had hate whispers/ psn messages a total of like 5 times in 5 years. I just block them and move on.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was an easier way to report players but at the same breath, that makes it easier for others to report on you if you offend them.