The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PTS Question about new companions (Spoilers?)

BlueRaven
BlueRaven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Does the deadlands have a new companion?

I am guessing no, but I just thought I would ask…
Edited by BlueRaven on September 24, 2021 10:48PM

Best Answer

• Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No new companions
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
    Answer ✓
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »
    No new companions

Thanks!
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really lame. Companions were already barebones as is, but I was looking forward to having more than 2/6 classes to choose from.

Remember when they said something to the tune of "Right now we want to focus on getting things working and later hopefully look into ideas such as romancing your companions or introducing new allies."

Sounded like a way to pacify the negative comments suggesting how minimal they felt. Do you even hear people talk about companions in game or online anymore? A system like this should be introducing theory crafting. Besides the few bigger named youtubers, no one is putting out builds over time, they were all made during the original PTS.

For a chapter feature, it feels like it's gone and forgotten. They're not fun to level, in fact, in the months of playtime I've had them out, I've been stuck at level 17/18 with most of the first 16 levels earned through mindlessly grinding for hours. They're not very useful outside of killing overland mobs that die in 2 hits anyway. They have very little skills to choose from, they don't have inventory slots, they have awful ultimates to which you can't even choose between and lock you into a certain playstyle. Everyones look the same because we can see their silly faces and the gear is extremely uninspiring. "Oh yay.. 2% cooldown reduction, exactly what I wanted"

What makes ESO great is it's horizontal progression system that allows us to theory craft builds amongst the 100s of sets available to us.. and ZOS thought a feature like this would be too overpowered to use interesting sets? So they instead made companion armor that an actual pet should wear?

Imagine being the companion for a second. "Woah, how are you able to chain all those enemies in with 1 attack? I guess I've got an extra sharp sword to increase my damage by 3%!"

Probably not the place for a rant, but they just make me so annoyed because I gave them the benefit of the doubt. ZOS knows most people wanted new weapons, spellcrafting or a new guild skill line.. instead we got AI repurposed from the base game to follow us so they can do 8k dps and NOT heal our pets. A complete waste and missed opportunity.

Whats funny is they could of sold the chapter based on the Stickerbook and Armory features that ended up being free and I would of praised them hands down, but Companions.. like this? Really?
    Edited by MashmalloMan on September 25, 2021 6:57AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is really disappointing, I was so excited to see what kind of companion we would get. Worst of all, we'll keep seeing the same two faces - the Clone Wars apparently aren't over yet.
  • Its_MySniff
    Its_MySniff
    ✭✭✭
    I wear coward's and wild hunt on a farmer, I don't see faces. In a battle, no faces. Perhaps move around a bit, you all won't see the faces either. [snip] With that said, It's good no new companions are out in Q4. Iron out the issues and for the sake of the sanity of some, Allow Helmets.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 27, 2021 6:17PM