Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hrothgar's Chill stealth nerf

sMuggle
sMuggle
✭✭✭
No mention on Live Patch Notes v7.1.7 09/19/21 of change;

Before;

unknown.png

After;

unknown.png?width=334&height=609
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I don't think it's a bad change, but it is weird the change isn't in the patch notes.

Has the feeling of "we didn't want to admit too loudly how bad we messed up with these sets."
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • Winter_exe
    Winter_exe
    Soul Shriven
    also fixed a bug when your set was triggered by someone else's control, and a bug with inadequate area damage was fixed. Not a word about these changes is written in the patch. Yes, we understand that it is difficult to admit mistakes, but we must be informed about all changes
  • Flangdoodle
    Flangdoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Weird that they didn't say anything about it? Wonder if someone just *forgot* lol.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignores spell resistance. So..unless you were hitting someone above cap spell resist; kind of a buff?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Weird that they didn't say anything about it? Wonder if someone just *forgot* lol.

There was just a miscommunication about when this was going live, but it's been added to the PC Live patch notes now. Apologies for the mix up here. For visibility, here is the full change to this item set:
    • Hrothgar's Chill:
      • This item set now deals 13% of the added Physical and Spell Resistance on the initial target, down from 26%.
      • This set now ignores mitigation on all targets to ensure it remains a potent tank punishing set.
      • Fixed an issue where the explosion damage of this set was not being affected by Battle Spirit.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Flangdoodle
    Flangdoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Heh - thought it might be something like that. No worries Gina! <3
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool cool, thanks for the clarification. A good change I think.
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • sMuggle
    sMuggle
    ✭✭✭
    Nice, thanks for the clarification Gina! B)
  • Kuratius
    Kuratius
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't the tooltip say that it now deals oblivion damage, if it ignores mitigation?
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kuratius wrote: »
    Shouldn't the tooltip say that it now deals oblivion damage, if it ignores mitigation?

Then it wouldn't be boosted by +Frost damage.
    PC NA
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignores mitigation ? Clarify what you class as mitigation? Resistance? Percentage based reductions ?
  • Kinkysaurus
    Kinkysaurus
    ✭✭
    Has anyone been able to try it out since PTS went live? I went into cyro and it was a ghost town in there. I've been queued for a BG for awhile too just so I can report some changes to my guild.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd choice for a quick Live patch. I’d much rather have seen Dark Convergence addressed than Hrothgarr nerfed. Both need to have been adjusted, but the radius on DarkCon is totally busted, and pulling people off walls and through doors really needs fixed soon.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • endorphinsplox
    endorphinsplox
    ✭✭✭
    That's not a very good change imo. In the end the set doesn't punish tank builds as much as it punishes groups who run with a tank beside them. Why wouldn't you have 26% damage on the initial target and halved damage in the AOE? Why the hell should I be punished for someone else's choice to abuse resistance stacking?
  • Kuratius
    Kuratius
    ✭✭✭
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/858792827907342356/889849600654061638/OJvw6a5eAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

It is overall a nerf to the power of the set. I don't really pvp, and the "before" curve could be higher due to pen, but this is what modeling it naively gives you. I didn't continue the curve past the armor cap though I assume it does continue to scale beyond 33k, it'd just be a straight line instead of a parabola like with the "before" case. After the armor cap, the graphs for "before" and "now" would be identical anyways.

I'm still confused how some people were able to get 28k+ procs out of this set. Was it already ignoring armor back then? It shouldn't have been, else that wouldn't have made it into the patch notes. Edit: Maybe cleave hits with lots of pen and a 40k+ armor tank as the main target? But that would still require lots of cp bonuses and buffs/passives to get that high.

I assume the reason they didn't make it "proper" oblivion damage was to allow battlespirit to affect it, but that doesn't really solve anything about it since there is no point to using it in pve. It just makes it more difficult for players to gauge the power of the set.
    Edited by Kuratius on September 23, 2021 6:55AM
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Stealth nerf" players had to have known these sets were going to be nerfed eventually and that they were performing far more effective than intended. How can anyone really be surprised?
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    The set's nerf is effective. It's no longer worth using in pvp. Not certain how effective it was in pve, but the changes have killed it's effectiveness in damaging large groups and modifying large group fight behavior.
    "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Odd choice for a quick Live patch. I’d much rather have seen Dark Convergence addressed than Hrothgarr nerfed. Both need to have been adjusted, but the radius on DarkCon is totally busted, and pulling people off walls and through doors really needs fixed soon.

Yea, this decision was really interesting - the Dark Con pulls into space have really killed siege activity in PvP...it's surprising, those weren't the subject of an immediate hotfix.
    "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Stealth nerf" players had to have known these sets were going to be nerfed eventually and that they were performing far more effective than intended. How can anyone really be surprised?

The term doesn't have anything to do with whether or not a nerf was expected - only the way that it was introduced.

No patch notes or comments, just quietly patching it into the live game is the definition of stealth nerf.