The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Motifs being across account for crafting, as well as style

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    It will not kill economy.

There's a new player in my guild, he wants to be a crafter and he's a dedicated collector. Just think - what an ocean of motifs does this new player needs to learn! And yeah - new players come every day. And they all want motifs - some for crafting, some for achivements, some for outfits.

Two years ago I decided to make one character to earn all achievements I can (been jumping from alt to alt since 2016). And the most difficult thing for me is... motifs. It is expensive. on the one side. It can't be done without buying things, on the other side - or it will take forewer. So I just... ignore the motif achievements.

The only costs involved are ensuring you have access to the correct chapters. You can in reality farm every single motif that is in the game save for the very few that are crown exclusive. All it takes is skill, some time, and a bit of luck. And events like the annual anniversary event help too. I farm that event like crazy and last year I was able to get from the 10 basic motif styles up to around 75 % in those few short weeks. Events make it really possible to get them all.
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    No to account wide achievements. Here are just two reasons I can think of.

Crafting
    This negatively impacts the value and time spent to achieving Grand Master Crafter. The hardest part to this achievement and the most expensive is obtaining the 50 complete Motif Books. Researching does take a long time, however it is achievable and can be done without spending gold if you are patient. For those that have spent the hours/days/months/years training multiple toons for this achievement, I would imagine comes with a sense of pride and accomplishment. This would nullify their efforts and really be a slap in the face for those that appreciate this sense of pride.

By having multiple toons know motifs it affects the master writ drop rate which has a domino affect on the economy, and also is a slap in the face for many crafters that have spent all the time training multiple toons. Their time spent in game has value in addition to their ability to make a ton more gold with all of their hard work. Once you have a Grand Master crafter, those that have 18 toons will now have 18 Grand Master crafters with account wide achievements. No thank you. If you want 18 Grand Master Crafters, then I feel you should put in the time to reap the rewards as people have already done.

Fishing
    This is another achievement that many achieve with a sense of pride and accomplishment. For those that have completed this on multiple toons have done so with many tireless hours/days/months/years and would completely nullify their time spent if just anybody could obtain this accomplishment.

People invest their time into a game and this time has great meaning and value to many. Easily attaining achievements on multiple toons, in my opinion takes away that effort if it become easy to replicate.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    It will not kill economy.

There's a new player in my guild, he wants to be a crafter and he's a dedicated collector. Just think - what an ocean of motifs does this new player needs to learn! And yeah - new players come every day. And they all want motifs - some for crafting, some for achivements, some for outfits.

Two years ago I decided to make one character to earn all achievements I can (been jumping from alt to alt since 2016). And the most difficult thing for me is... motifs. It is expensive. on the one side. It can't be done without buying things, on the other side - or it will take forewer. So I just... ignore the motif achievements.

The only costs involved are ensuring you have access to the correct chapters. You can in reality farm every single motif that is in the game save for the very few that are crown exclusive. All it takes is skill, some time, and a bit of luck. And events like the annual anniversary event help too. I farm that event like crazy and last year I was able to get from the 10 basic motif styles up to around 75 % in those few short weeks. Events make it really possible to get them all.

bolding mine.

There are also exactly zero achievements associated w/ the crown store ones. They do not affect master writ drop rates. And you'll never get a master writ for them.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If ain't broken, don't fix it" BUT considering they're pretty much the same thing and that some chapter motifs are quite expensive on market, why not allow the character that knows all chapters (i.e. has the related "Style Master" achievement) to craft a Legendary book containing all pages, account-bound and bankable of course, just like the ones that already exist (even though the only ones I've seen so far were Imperial, Glass and Ebony) in the game for other characters to read?
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "If ain't broken, don't fix it" BUT considering they're pretty much the same thing and that some chapter motifs are quite expensive on market, why not allow the character that knows all chapters (i.e. has the related "Style Master" achievement) to craft a Legendary book containing all pages, account-bound and bankable of course, just like the ones that already exist (even though the only ones I've seen so far were Imperial, Glass and Ebony) in the game for other characters to read?

For the same reason that has been mentioned a few times on the thread. Knowledge of motifs affects the drop rate of master writs and also what master writs one can fulfill (as blacksmithing/clothing/woodworking ones do have a motif requirement).

The more (full and non crown store exclusive) motifs the character knows the more likely it is to received associated master writs from daily writ reward boxes.

If motifs would become account-wide either new requirements are introduced to affect the chance of rewards whilst removing the effect motifs have on them or suddenly all characters in an account would receive a significant increase on the rate at which they 'generate' master writs.

The former would cheapen the effort made by players like myself who have collected 50+ full motifs for multiple characters as this would no longer make any difference and I would have to make a renewed effort to fulfill the new requirements.

The latter would not only cheapen the effort, it would also devalue master writs and all what derives from them (100% ambrosias, attunable crafting stations, furniture pages etc.)

Neither proposition looks particularly appealing to me.
  • Zephiran23
    Zephiran23
    ✭✭✭✭
    I normally don't like the mindset of "it was hard in my day and it still should be hard for new players", but this I think is an exception. There's some things that some players have put a lot of time into, like learning opposing faction motifs - either for the gold to buy them or time spent on alts to farm them. Similarly for any other content that you don't participate in. To get to Grand Master Crafter you don't need to farm all of Summerset or Elsweyr to get the numbers. The newer zones will get you sufficient numbers of motifs.

Paying for motifs from content that you don't participate in so you can do a master writ is nothing anyone is forced to do.

Sick of crafting for master writs on your old main? Park them and learn the newer motifs on your new favourite. The game is supposed to last a long time, shortcuts like you are suggesting don't contribute to long term success.

If you accidentally learnt a motif on the wrong character there's some more solutions that should be looked at in the base UI. There's several addons that will allow you to view which character knows which motif without the loading screens of swapping characters or creating your own spreadsheets. The Armory update is a step in the right direction for this type of quality of life improvement - it's not there yet for reasons that escape me. The addon authors have done the work for ways to represent it graphically and ZOS certainly has all the information.
  • VoidBiscuit
    VoidBiscuit
    ✭✭✭
    Zephiran23 wrote: »
    If you accidentally learnt a motif on the wrong character there's some more solutions that should be looked at in the base UI.

"I understand that are inquiring about restoring a Motif that was used on one of your characters in ESO. Unfortunately as this Motif has been used we are unable to restore the item back to your account. We apologize as this is not the answer you were hoping for."

You're bang on the money lol, I wasted a 150k motif on a random char, which isn't the end of the world, but is annoying.
    That's what prompted me to write the post, however I saw a bigger issue and felt my original reason was no longer particularly important.

I also had no idea about this "Grand Master Crafting" thing on multiple chars, or writ drop stuff, so the thread has been informative.

To fix my own issue I'll likely write an addon when I have some time.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zephiran23 wrote: »
    If you accidentally learnt a motif on the wrong character there's some more solutions that should be looked at in the base UI.

"I understand that are inquiring about restoring a Motif that was used on one of your characters in ESO. Unfortunately as this Motif has been used we are unable to restore the item back to your account. We apologize as this is not the answer you were hoping for."

You're bang on the money lol, I wasted a 150k motif on a random char, which isn't the end of the world, but is annoying.
    That's what prompted me to write the post, however I saw a bigger issue and felt my original reason was no longer particularly important.

I also had no idea about this "Grand Master Crafting" thing on multiple chars, or writ drop stuff, so the thread has been informative.

To fix my own issue I'll likely write an addon when I have some time.

you want the system changed because you weren't paying attention.

really?
  • VoidBiscuit
    VoidBiscuit
    ✭✭✭
    you want the system changed because you weren't paying attention.

really?

That's a new record on how long a thread has been going before someone annoying who brings nothing to conversation, shows up and misses the point.
    Nearly 2 pages, genuinely a personal record.

Anyway, to answer your question, no, that's not the reason at all. In case you didn't see: