The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Motifs being across account for crafting, as well as style

VoidBiscuit
VoidBiscuit
✭✭✭
Is there any benefit for splitting motifs between outfit and crafting, it seems like a relic of early game that should be removed.
Thoughts?
  • lordxyrax_ESO
    lordxyrax_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree
  • VoidBiscuit
    VoidBiscuit
    ✭✭✭
    Downsides include:
    Not knowing if you already have the style on your account without checking your styles directly, as the motif will only say "used" on the char you used it on.
    Having to use motifs on your crafter, if you want to craft in that style.

There are other things which can be learnt which should also probably be across account, but motifs has already been started on with the golden pages.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there any benefit for splitting motifs between outfit and crafting, it seems like a relic of early game that should be removed.
    Thoughts?

No thank you. Each of my characters is an individual (albeit, usually members of the same family). Those who are interested in pursuing crafts have learned motifs. Those who are not, have not.

I have no desire to see yet another step towards homogenizing all of them.

...but then, I too am a relic of the early game that should, perhaps, be removed.
    Edited by Iluvrien on September 17, 2021 7:42PM
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP. If motifs are account wide at the station, then motifs should be account wide upon learning.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • VoidBiscuit
    VoidBiscuit
    ✭✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    Thoughts?

No thank you. Each of my characters is an individual (albeit, usually members of the same family). Those who are interested in pursuing crafts have learned motifs. Those who are not, have not.

I have no desire to see yet another step towards homogenizing all of them.

...but then, I too am a relic of the early game that should, perhaps, be removed.

Nah we'll keep u here lol
    It's a... unique perspective, but I asked for answers so, your response is appreciated :)
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP.
    Motifs should be acct wide
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they were across account they would lose a lot of their value, so we have to take that in to mind when asking for things like this. Currently I am trying to learn them all on all 10 of my crafters and I can tell you - it's a big job!

So am I for or against? Well, I could go either way. Sure I would love NOT having to get them for all of my chars. But then, like the Gold Pages they would lose a lot of value....so again I am not too sure lol.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you forget about the Grand Master Crafter achievement? That's not a relic of the past, that's hard work and time/gold investment. It's insulting to say it should just be tossed aside and mushed into account wide.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you forget about the Grand Master Crafter achievement? That's not a relic of the past, that's hard work and time/gold investment. It's insulting to say it should just be tossed aside and mushed into account wide.

You need a lot more than motif knowledge for that achievement.

• Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

Ya but OP said other things can be learned besides motifs that should also be across account. What else is there besides trait research?
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot more things should be account wide, in particular achievements.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motif knowledge affects master writ drop rates for that character.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

actually the main part of it is motif knowledge...
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quick way to make motifs utterly worthless to farm or sell. Damaging to the economy and to gameplay.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Oliviander
    Oliviander
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts?

The only Relic is the existance of the old 3 Crownstore only motifs.
    (after introducing outfit styles the crown only designs were always outfit styles only)
    As they aren't used for Master writs they should rather be changed to outfit styles
    or better brought in game and get used for master writs so the system would be consistent.

Accountwide motifs would be a catastrophe for me personaly
    as my main goal in game is making all my 18 chars Grand master Crafters.
    ( 3 are complete and 15 are knowing 38 motifs )
    So i am strictly against it.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They want you to keep buying them up on multiple characters for better chances at getting master writs. Its dumb.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They want you to keep buying them up on multiple characters for better chances at getting master writs. Its dumb.

That puts gold in players pockets, how is that dumb?
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP.
    Motifs should be acct wide

There are so many you would spend forever making spread sheets trying to track it all. This would be a huge quality of life addition. Pls make this a thing.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As it has been mentioned before in this thread motifs are tied to crafting and its rewards.

Having 5 GM Crafters and 3 more in progress I don't feel too good about this.

They already make the cosmetic part account-wide (which is pretty nice and one of the few gold sinks in the game if you are into that sort of thing) if someone wants the increased MW drop rate, ability to fulfil the associated MWs etc... Well, 'work' for it.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya but OP said other things can be learned besides motifs that should also be across account. What else is there besides trait research?

Besides 50 motifs learned and trait master which is learning every available trait at least once, not researching every trait on every piece of armor or weapon:

Rank 50 in all 7 crafts, including alchemy, enchanting and cooking
    100 Master writs completed
    100 provisioning recipes learned
    Translate all of the Potency runes
    Learn every trait for ever Alchemy reagent (base game reagents)

• Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basically if you would create an Imperial as an alt, all of your alts would automatically learn Imperial style? ;)
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No plz

I sell motifs for a living
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP. The game's motif system has grown to unmanageable levels to think each character is going to learn them all. How many motifs were in the game 3 or 4 years ago compared to now?

Personally, I'm all for more account wide stuff. The reason for that is all my 'characters' are actually the same one - the only differences among them are class and stam/mag. Beyond that, they are identical in appearance, mount, styles of dress, race, even name (as close as the game allows). My elf wakes up in the morning and decides whether to adventure that session with a pair of bows or a pair of staves. She then selects the appropriate class/spec as casually as she selects a costume or hairstyle and goes out to play. This approach has kept me in the game, as the class system does not allow enough flexibility so satisfy her many interests. And if one class/spec gets nerfed, we're fine focusing more on playing her as another class until the circular 'balancing' system returns an unfun class back to fun again. Dealing with class nerfs this way has literally kept me from rage quitting the game.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on September 17, 2021 11:48PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides 50 motifs learned and trait master which is learning every available trait at least once, not researching every trait on every piece of armor or weapon:

Rank 50 in all 7 crafts, including alchemy, enchanting and cooking
    100 Master writs completed
    100 provisioning recipes learned
    Translate all of the Potency runes
    Learn every trait for ever Alchemy reagent (base game reagents)

Why should any of those be account wide?

Those are all their own crafts equivalent of trait research, learning each reagent, each rune, each recipe. Leveling the skill trees and sinking the skill points into those trees is a time investment.

The money made from people grinding furnishing plans, recipes, mats, motifs, it would all be harshly negatively effected if it was account wide. Think about how it would effect the entire community.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Account wide would be nice
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they make Motifs account-wide, they would have to make writs account-wide too, that is, you can only do one set of writs a day across the entire account.

And that would *** off the people who learned motifs on multiple characters so they could get better rewards from the daily writs.
    The Moot Councillor
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motifs actually factor into Crafting Daily reward drops on characters. The more motifs you learn, the greater your chances are at getting a Master Crafting Writ. Ive done two studies, charting drops several months apart for 10 weeks each. Characters will fewer or no motifs learned average 2 to 3 Master Writs a week. Grand Master Crafters average closer to 8-10 master writs a week.
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would kill the motif economy but w/e, don't really mind tbh
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will not kill economy.

There's a new player in my guild, he wants to be a crafter and he's a dedicated collector. Just think - what an ocean of motifs does this new player needs to learn! And yeah - new players come every day. And they all want motifs - some for crafting, some for achivements, some for outfits.

Two years ago I decided to make one character to earn all achievements I can (been jumping from alt to alt since 2016). And the most difficult thing for me is... motifs. It is expensive. on the one side. It can't be done without buying things, on the other side - or it will take forewer. So I just... ignore the motif achievements.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Motif knowledge affects master writ drop rates for that character.

Which is my number one reason for not liking the idea.