The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The aggro range and the "You can not mount while in combat" system needs a change

Eridanus
Eridanus
✭✭✭
I think it's unnecessarily tedious and buggy. As it is right now, you're still in "combat" even though the enemy is very far from you, to the point that sometimes you can't even see it, and when it finally gets to you, quite frequently it doesn't attack you or rapidly stops because it has gotten too far from its spawn zone. This also creates a chain effect where if you move to get away from the aggroing mob or to find it, you're risking to get aggro'd by yet another mob that will further prevent you from mounting.

I understand that this is done to make the world a little bit more dangerous to explore, but it just doesn't work and it only makes it tedious. In addition to this, the mobs, just like pretty much everything in overland, are very rarely a threat anyway, so they're an annoyance that if anything break the immersion: why is my horse refusing to let me mount even though the enemies aren't really close? And why shouldn't I be able to use a mount to flee the battle, anyway? Irl, horses were used to flee from dangerous situations so it doesn't make sense in that regard.

This problem becomes especially irritating if you're trying to level up the mages guild skill line by picking up lore books. The grinding already isn't particularly exciting, and the fact that your character dismounts to get the book, risking to get aggro'd and then being unable to mount again, makes it really boring. Imo leveling the mages guild in a fantasy game with epic proportions such as this one, should be a little more exciting, but that's a matter for another day (I know there's a daily but it's far from effective).

I suggest to let us mount even if we're in "combat". If we're really in combat, then we will get knocked off the mount, and if we aren't, we will get away and save time.

Edited by Eridanus on September 21, 2021 11:21PM
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support this, its the single most iritating thing for me in Cyro.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever been trapped inside a house, with a ton of stolen items in your inventory and a guard is chasing you?

Well, to get out of that situation you need to lure the guard as far away from the exit as possible and then get to it as fast as possible to hopefully be able to activate the door before the guard hits you.

My point is, there's a timer between when you took damage and when you're able to activate the door. If a similar system were used for mounts you'd be able to mount while in combat but not in the middle of a fight.
    PS | EU
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The "in combat" status needs to drop after we're a certain distance away, say 75-100 m, or have broken line of sight for 5-10 consecutive seconds. As it is now it's ridiculous.
  • Ballermfrau
    Ballermfrau
    ✭✭✭
    agree biggest annoyance in the game
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think sometimes you are stuck in combat when an enemy just sees you, even if he hasn’t attacked you.

An easy condition to check would be how long has it been since you got hit by something. After X number of seconds, you can mount.

Isn’t that the same condition they use to see if you can open a door?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I do is crouch and try to hide. It might not happen right away, but if whatever it was that you aggroed is too far away to see you, you should eventually be able to go into stealth. At that point you won't be in combat anymore, so you can unstealth, hop on your mount, and ride off into the wild blue yonder.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why does it happen randomly after fighting a dragon? Was hunting dragons with guildies last night and after killing one, up to half of the group couldn't remount until they'd nearly run all the way back to the wayshrine. But the rest could mount fine.
    PC - NA
  • green_2
    green_2
    ✭✭
    The aggro system in this game is my daily topic with a friend, or just my daily complaining about it. By far worst, most bugged and stupid system in the game. If you hit mobs that are still chasing you even though u are miles from their original spawn they will just turn around. I swear to god whoever coded this should be fired.
    Not to mention last time I was collecting mages guild some mobs bugged and I ran almost half of the map (greenshade I believe) on foot before just deciding to die to some mobs because I was still in combat.
    The whole in combat thing is super bugged in dungeons, cyro, actually everywhere. My most frequent question is, who the hell am I in combat with? In dungeons even though u cleared every mob - you can't go through the doors because you are in combat! Cyrodiil? Everyone getting on their horses after getting a keep? Well, sometimes I'm still in combat with no enemies!
    But hey, let's be real. I didn't write anything about this on forum because they will not fix/change that. There's no way they are not aware of how bugged this system is, and it is for years. They just don't care.
    Edited by green_2 on September 22, 2021 6:33AM
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's awful and i think it's got worse. i know you used to be able to use a wayshrine even in combat, but not now. so you just stand there, waiting for combat to end, and it sucks
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • orgin_stadia
    orgin_stadia
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention all the dungeon doors you can't open while the game thinks you are in combat, when you are not.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There really should be a combat timer (ontop of the already exsisting system)

"if you're in combat but have not taken or dealt any damage for 30 seconds then you are no longer in combat"
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    deejayvee wrote: »
    Why does it happen randomly after fighting a dragon? Was hunting dragons with guildies last night and after killing one, up to half of the group couldn't remount until they'd nearly run all the way back to the wayshrine. But the rest could mount fine.

Ohhh, I guess it is southern elsweyr and topmost dragon fighting grounds? It is an odd one.

I noticed this during event. For whatever reason, when you are fighting dragon there, for some reason senches on very top of the cliff near wayshrine are getting aggroed. So you must kill those.

Didn't really have such issues with other dragons.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

Ohhh, I guess it is southern elsweyr and topmost dragon fighting grounds? It is an odd one.

I noticed this during event. For whatever reason, when you are fighting dragon there, for some reason senches on very top of the cliff near wayshrine are getting aggroed. So you must kill those.

I've got one weirder from the event, Northern Elsweyr: because I was in the north engaged with that dragon, my friend in the south, who was grouped with me, was stuck in combat and couldn't mount. At least, that's what we concluded, because she was stuck in combat until the northern dragon died and this happened more than once.
    Edited by SickleCider on September 22, 2021 8:51AM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just repeating what others have said but, for the record. Single. biggest. Annoyance. In The. Game. I got stuck in combat for 5 minutes in Murkmore yesterday. Nothing around, but couldn't mount, switch gear anything. Don't even get me started on cyro. It's *awful* there. Peopel call cyro a "riding simulator." It's not. Half the time it's a hiking simulator. I eventually get so frustrated I just defend, and then leave. Except, you half the time, you can't leave - the wayshrine won't work as you're in combat. You have to queue for IC to get out.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.. along with the continuous *beep* nerfing of everything, not being able to mount is among my top dislike aspects of the game. Same with not being able to go through doors or use the wayshrine while aggroed. There is also an intermittent aggro glitch where it doesn't go away and you're then force to hard close the game and reboot, because you can't log off while you're still aggroed to something. Ahh.. whatcha going to do.. go play Fortnite? Ha ha ha
  • green_2
    green_2
    ✭✭
    This topic needs more attention.
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've been in permacombat a lot lately.

As a humble comparison, if it was WWII, I'd still be unable to dismount my Sherman tank in 2021, while everyone was shouting at me saying, "Hey man, the war's been over for 75 years!"
  • Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole "you can't do x, y, or z because you are in combat" is the absolute worst aggro system i have ever seen in an MMO. The whole thing needs to go away. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to mount, go through a door, or interact with objects because I'm "in combat"
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭

The delay has become much worse.

Two or three months ago I had absolutely no problem with dragons in over a dozen encounters, but now not only dragons but sometimes several seconds after delve bosses die. Not that serious most of time but it's definitely worsening.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried my suggested workaround? I'm curious whether it helps anyone else as much as it always helps me.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got one weirder from the event, Northern Elsweyr: because I was in the north engaged with that dragon, my friend in the south, who was grouped with me, was stuck in combat and couldn't mount. At least, that's what we concluded, because she was stuck in combat until the northern dragon died and this happened more than once.

Unfortunately that's normal, at least in my experience. When players are grouped but not necessarily in close proximity with each other, if one gets in a fight, nobody is able to mount. I've had it happen many times when grouped for dragons (example) and one group member arrives at the dragon before everyone else. The player who is there sees that the fight has started so they jump in. Anyone else in the group who is not already mounted cannot mount. So you're stuck running on foot to the dragon and hoping to get there before the fight ends.

To make matters worse, if your buddy realizes they're keeping you from getting there quickly because you can't mount, they may try to step out of the dragon fight to fix the situation. But for some reason it's really hard to get out of combat with a dragon even if you stop fighting and run away. So now the one group member is no longer fighting but still nobody can mount.

It's aggravating as all get-out!
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Has anyone tried my suggested workaround? I'm curious whether it helps anyone else as much as it always helps me.

No but I'll try it tonight in Cyrodiil will let ya know.
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe companions has made this much worse as the companion will hang back and fight the enemy. This is definitely the reason that it's now happening at wayshrines as the companion update is when that started.
  • Dolphinsgal
    Dolphinsgal
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with everyone else the can't mount in combat is a huge pita. I can kind of understand it in cyro, that said we're stuck in combat 90% of the time when no one is around and end up having to run from keep to keep instead of riding. It's a complaint I hear almost daily. (Other issues in cyro create aggro in players but this isn't the thread for those).

It might help in overland, but cyro nope doesn't help at all for me.
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    it's worse if you're grouping in Cyro, you can be killed, res at a castle and still be "in combat" if the group battle is still on
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It works well in pve- delves etc.

Sometimes works in pvp but not always. PvP you have the added problem of group members being in combat which will often set your status to in combat.

One little thing I'd like to see changed is allowing us to slot siege while in combat.
  • Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Crouching into stealth?

No, it doesn't help me. I've tried it and it doesn't do anything for me.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with everyone else the can't mount in combat is a huge pita. I can kind of understand it in cyro, that said we're stuck in combat 90% of the time when no one is around and end up having to run from keep to keep instead of riding. It's a complaint I hear almost daily. (Other issues in cyro create aggro in players but this isn't the thread for those).

It might help in overland, but cyro nope doesn't help at all for me.

But Cyrodiil is where I use it the most, and it always works for me. You might have to stay crouched for a bit before you finally become "hidden," but if you are really are miles away from whatever it was that you aggroed, you should eventually be able to become hidden. Of course, if whatever you aggroed still has eyes on you, or if you're close to something else that prevents you from going into hiding-- and keep in mind, mudcrabs can and do blow your stealth if there are any nearby-- then you won't be able to become hidden until you move to a better spot.

But whatever. As long as I can make it work for me, I guess that's all I really care about.
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I will look out for that.

However, it happened at the southern fighting grounds too and only happened to some in the group so I don't think that's the full explanation.
    PC - NA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eridanus wrote: »
    If we're really in combat, then we will get knocked off the mount, and if we aren't, we will get away and save time.

I do not think getting knocked off your mount while really in combat is a guarantee. I think the character has to be attacked and even then it has to be enough attacks to drain the mounts stamina.

In other words, someone could initiate an attack that puts them in combat and mount up, then ride away without issue when the people they are attacking are actively engaged with other targets.

What needs to be fixed is the issue that puts us in combat when there is zero reasons to be put into combat. Lets ask Zos to fix the real issue since it has a much broader impact than being able to mount.