Maintenance for the week of November 29:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – November 29, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) – 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – December 1, 6:00AM EST (11:00 UTC) – 10:00AM EST (15:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – December 1, 6:00AM EST (11:00 UTC) – 10:00AM EST (15:00 UTC)

What is an "incursion"?

jecks33
jecks33
✭✭✭✭✭
about the item sets drops: "Bosses and reward chests from arenas and incursions will now preferentially drop set items that have not yet been unlocked in your Item Set Collections"

ok arena bosses, but what are "incursions bosses"? dolmens? harrowstorms? Does this new (amazing) feature not apply to dungeons and trials?



Edited by jecks33 on September 20, 2021 5:54PM
Marshall puppa
Rickymargot puppa
Massimoalì Fanculì
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    dolmens, dragons, storms and similar.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »
    about the item sets drops: "Bosses and reward chests from arenas and incursions will now preferentially drop set items that have not yet been unlocked in your Item Set Collections"

    ok arena bosses, but what are "incursions bosses"? dolmens? harrowstorms? Does this new (amazing) feature not apply to dungeons and trials?



    It applies to dungeon/trial bosses. It is "bosses," and then, "reward chests from arenas and incursions." They are just trying to emphasize that content where you beat a boss but the reward is not on the boss' body are still part of system.
  • HugoG92
    HugoG92
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Finn wrote: »
    Incursions include Dark Anchors, Abyssal Geysers, Dragons, Harrowstorms, and Oblivion Portals. Happy hunting!

    Can you clarify if this change includes trials and dungeons? It's still unclear
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭
    HugoG92 wrote: »
    ZOS_Finn wrote: »
    Incursions include Dark Anchors, Abyssal Geysers, Dragons, Harrowstorms, and Oblivion Portals. Happy hunting!

    Can you clarify if this change includes trials and dungeons? It's still unclear

    No, they've deleted trial bosses from the game.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to recall that during the Witch's Festival, the random world events where Daedra or Vampires/Undead appear from the sky also were referred to as 'incursions'.

    I assume those aren't included, since they're essentially 'trash' monsters.
    PC NA
  • ZOS_Finn
    ZOS_Finn
    Dungeon, Encounter
    & Monster Lead
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    I seem to recall that during the Witch's Festival, the random world events where Daedra or Vampires/Undead appear from the sky also were referred to as 'incursions'.

    I assume those aren't included, since they're essentially 'trash' monsters.

    Not that I know of. This is really designed for fights where very specific item sets can drop from those monsters or encounters.

    The systems team did an awesome job with this feature for sure and you should try it out.
    Lead Encounter Designer (Dungeons, Monsters, Encounters)
    Staff Post
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    HugoG92 wrote: »
    ZOS_Finn wrote: »
    Incursions include Dark Anchors, Abyssal Geysers, Dragons, Harrowstorms, and Oblivion Portals. Happy hunting!

    Can you clarify if this change includes trials and dungeons? It's still unclear

    'Most bosses in the game, along with reward chests from arenas and incursions, will now preferentially drop set items that have not yet been unlocked in your Item Set Collections."
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Finn wrote: »
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    I seem to recall that during the Witch's Festival, the random world events where Daedra or Vampires/Undead appear from the sky also were referred to as 'incursions'.

    I assume those aren't included, since they're essentially 'trash' monsters.

    Not that I know of. This is really designed for fights where very specific item sets can drop from those monsters or encounters.

    The systems team did an awesome job with this feature for sure and you should try it out.

    Yes, thank you Finn.

    I am excited to try this, as it will give me confidence there's "light at the end of the tunnel" for collecting certain items.

    Maybe it will take 30 times to get the item I want, but not 300 any more.
    PC NA
  • HugoG92
    HugoG92
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Finn wrote: »

    Yes, this was one of the major reasons for implementing this feature. Dungeon and Trial bosses, Arena chests and Incursions are all included.

    Thank you Finn, I'm looking forward to try this on console <3
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fairly big "typo" not to have mentioned dungeons at that point in the Patch Notes. Very uncharacteristic. Usually there's nothing worse than the reigned/reined misspelling that was also in there.

    But Gina did warn us she was a little rushed putting this set of notes together. The "most bosses" phrasing also made it pretty clear what was probably meant, as did the heads-up Combat Update post late last week.

    Also, we get to have clarifying threads like this.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    I seem to recall that during the Witch's Festival, the random world events where Daedra or Vampires/Undead appear from the sky also were referred to as 'incursions'.

    I assume those aren't included, since they're essentially 'trash' monsters.

    They are also referred to as Incursions in the Clockwork City daily for Wraith-of-Crows.
  • Starhorse
    Starhorse
    ✭✭
    about the item sets drops: "Bosses and reward chests from arenas and incursions will now preferentially drop set items that have not yet been unlocked in your Item Set Collections"

    If this is true, this sounds awesome! This sounds new fun for collecting and new reasons to go back into the public dungeons...
  • Griefclaw
    Griefclaw
    ✭✭
    How many more features will be introduced to cater to and assist new players. Why the continual focus on this and not on developing other areas of the game that are lacking greatly.

    Obviously some veteran players will enjoy this, but if you think in a bigger picture there's less and less reasons to continue playing this game and doing content, this is an MMO, grinding to get stuff is a part of it. I can't believe its included for trial and dungeon bosses.

    Now there's a set amount of clear's until you never step foot in an arena again (unless for achievements) because within that time you will either get all the gear you want, or get the gear you need and never look back.

    Is it convenient? Yes 100%, is it healthy for the game to not have content to grind through? or to never feel the joy of getting something you've been grinding for? since now you know its just a matter of time? I'm not sure, but for me it is. (I'm still waiting for a Z'ens inferno and don't mind grinding for it now and again)

    On top of transmutations, sticker book and now this, the game is just handing everything to you now, where does it end?
    twitch.tv/griefclaw
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Griefclaw wrote: »
    How many more features will be introduced to cater to and assist new players. Why the continual focus on this and not on developing other areas of the game that are lacking greatly.

    Obviously some veteran players will enjoy this, but if you think in a bigger picture there's less and less reasons to continue playing this game and doing content, this is an MMO, grinding to get stuff is a part of it. I can't believe its included for trial and dungeon bosses.

    Now there's a set amount of clear's until you never step foot in an arena again (unless for achievements) because within that time you will either get all the gear you want, or get the gear you need and never look back.

    Is it convenient? Yes 100%, is it healthy for the game to not have content to grind through? or to never feel the joy of getting something you've been grinding for? since now you know its just a matter of time? I'm not sure, but for me it is. (I'm still waiting for a Z'ens inferno and don't mind grinding for it now and again)

    On top of transmutations, sticker book and now this, the game is just handing everything to you now, where does it end?

    Some people love grinding and the thrill of getting the drop.

    I don't. Most people I've talked to in guild chat also are very excited to not have to run Arx Corinium or Maelstrom Arena for the umpteenth time for a fire stick.
    Edited by Fennwitty on September 22, 2021 2:33AM
    PC NA
  • Griefclaw
    Griefclaw
    ✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    Griefclaw wrote: »
    How many more features will be introduced to cater to and assist new players. Why the continual focus on this and not on developing other areas of the game that are lacking greatly.

    Obviously some veteran players will enjoy this, but if you think in a bigger picture there's less and less reasons to continue playing this game and doing content, this is an MMO, grinding to get stuff is a part of it. I can't believe its included for trial and dungeon bosses.

    Now there's a set amount of clear's until you never step foot in an arena again (unless for achievements) because within that time you will either get all the gear you want, or get the gear you need and never look back.

    Is it convenient? Yes 100%, is it healthy for the game to not have content to grind through? or to never feel the joy of getting something you've been grinding for? since now you know its just a matter of time? I'm not sure, but for me it is. (I'm still waiting for a Z'ens inferno and don't mind grinding for it now and again)

    On top of transmutations, sticker book and now this, the game is just handing everything to you now, where does it end?

    Some people love grinding and the thrill of getting the drop.

    I don't. Most people I've talked to in guild chat also are very excited to not have to run Arx Corinium or Maelstrom Arena for the umpteenth time for a fire stick.

    Yeah but at the end of the day its an MMO and "most people" don't think about the bigger picture (longevity of the game, health of it), their thinking about themselves, and how it effects them, as you said. If I think like that, I also love the change and won't have to grind for my Z'ens inferno.

    But if you look past this update, you can assume its only a matter of time before everyone has the gear they need for anything. This totally nukes a reason to do content eg, doing runs with people and trading for gear and it gets rid of the need for many people to even run certain content as now (as I said before) there's a hard cap on how many times someone will do something as they either get everything in x runs or get the gear piece they need before this.

    It reduces the overall amount of people clearing various content solely for gear (obviously you have new players constantly coming in, but these changes will just fast track them to endgame as well), as once they have it, they never return. What your left with in some area's are people going for achievements or doing the content purely for the fun of it. I know for me for example, the only reason I'd need to return to vAS is either to fill the stickerbook (which will be easy as with these changes) or if I feel like doing the trial for fun, as everything else I have. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as eventually you get to this point but its more about the time it takes to get to this point, which is virtually nothing now.

    Look at the end of the day its going to benefit me but you can't deny the fact that this just dumbs down an aspect of the game and fast tracks you to the endgame. It's also just a pointless addition to me when their are so many other things to focus on that would provide much more value instead of making the game easier for everyone. Eg, PvP content, more varied boss's in trials (bring stam back into PvE with a boss that gain's massive resistances to magic dmg throughout the fight for example), to name a few.

    The armoury content they are introducing though to save loadouts is really awesome and a good quality of life enhancement, especially for console players without addons.

    The need to grind for specific traits went with the addition of transmutation stones, the need to grind for gear/specific traits was lowered again with the sticker book, and now with this the need to grind for gear at all is further reduced down to a complete X runs to have everything you need.

    Sad to see a core aspect of this type of game pretty much nuked, obviously a lot of people won't agree but again their thinking about how it affects them personally and not in a more macro sense about the game as a whole and if this is a healthy change, where you look at the life and progression of a player towards endgame and eventually moving on, this just fast tracks it all which I don't think is a good thing.
    twitch.tv/griefclaw
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    I seem to recall that during the Witch's Festival, the random world events where Daedra or Vampires/Undead appear from the sky also were referred to as 'incursions'.

    I assume those aren't included, since they're essentially 'trash' monsters.

    Those were actually in the same "Dremora Skull" group as Public/Sweeper bosses, so I would assume they also count.
    The Moot Councillor
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Griefclaw wrote: »
    How many more features will be introduced to cater to and assist new players. Why the continual focus on this and not on developing other areas of the game that are lacking greatly.

    Obviously some veteran players will enjoy this, but if you think in a bigger picture there's less and less reasons to continue playing this game and doing content, this is an MMO, grinding to get stuff is a part of it. I can't believe its included for trial and dungeon bosses.

    Now there's a set amount of clear's until you never step foot in an arena again (unless for achievements) because within that time you will either get all the gear you want, or get the gear you need and never look back.

    Is it convenient? Yes 100%, is it healthy for the game to not have content to grind through? or to never feel the joy of getting something you've been grinding for? since now you know its just a matter of time? I'm not sure, but for me it is. (I'm still waiting for a Z'ens inferno and don't mind grinding for it now and again)

    On top of transmutations, sticker book and now this, the game is just handing everything to you now, where does it end?

    Here's the problem, most vet players have been playing this game for years. Many years more than the stickerbook has been around. How many of those players do you think have deconstructed most of the items they now need to fill their stickerbook? I'd wager a large number. So at this point, finding those pieces again is just busy work. And largely not necessary. Those players are already not really running the content in any substantial manor. If this change even get them to run every dungeon 40+ times to finish off the stickerbook, that is likely 40+ runs per dungeon they weren't even going to bother with before.
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    This all is fine and well and most of the things written by all stand true - from your point of view - as pure gamers looking for end-game content - and seeing the game for what it is. There is however a large majority which sees the game more like a piece of art, playing it for the beauty of it all ( literally ) - some of them are more largely known as rp-ers - but those are not the only ones. And many of those people do not feel /enjoy grinding forever for weapons, and are far more comfortable running in whatever they find and completing things. The more the better - but they are usually ignored and even patronized by said end-gamers and the taste to do any of this content fades off without as much as touching it. This ease in gear drop may actually give a chance to such players to hope and actually afford to do that content you all are so talking about - but if a person doesn't wear specific things - none of you ever as much as LOOK at them, let alone allow them to join in groups and complete things. And no, an mmo is not all about grinding gear - there are many other aspects one can enjoy and create a routine from - sparing time from gear grind is a blessing in every way!
    Edited by Erissime on September 26, 2021 12:16AM
Sign In or Register to comment.