The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Man, PvP is rough. Is there any balance coming?

bathynomusESO
bathynomusESO
✭✭✭
Pre-50 was pretty fun, though the spear guys seem to be able to kill 4 to 1 with no problems. Then I do post 50 with 160 CP gear; people are 1 shotting me. I die within about 3 seconds. Even a Ravenous Goliath cannot stand up to these guys post 50. Is there any plans for balance coming, PvP Only Gear, etc.? Give me some hope guys. Thanks
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're new to PvP.
    Below 50 bgs vs regular bgs is like comparing normal maelstrom to veteran maelstrom.
    One is doable without any real knowledge of it and the other is not.
    You will need a good build and personal skill to compete in there.

That being said, there sure is some balancing issues, but I don't think that is something that will affect you until you've become comfortable with your own playstyle in PvP.
    PS | EU
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a balancing issue.

You can't just walk there with normal or PvE DD builds. Nearly everyone post 50 level wear end-game gears, all golden improvements and golden enchants.

Someone told me a while ago the minimum is to reach 30k hp, 30k resist, 10k pen, 7k damage. Actually I don't know how it's possible, but I wear one defensive set, two offensive proc sets, and learned to craft the ideal food and also have tons of speed & damage potions in inventory.

You can check other posts in PvP about builds.
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to cp 160 bgs!

Start by putting together a good standard build.

A good starting point is 28k+ HP, about 2k regen (offensive resource), and at least 5 impen pieces to start.

You can achieve much more, but these are good minimum numbers to start pvping with. Most importantly, with these stats you can start learning mechanics confident that your stat sheet isn't holding you back.

Once you achieve these stats (through gear, enchant, mundus, food, and race), start learning class mechanics and basic mechanics such as block, dodge roll, weaving, etc.

Good luck!
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    Pre-50 was pretty fun, though the spear guys seem to be able to kill 4 to 1 with no problems. Then I do post 50 with 160 CP gear; people are 1 shotting me. I die within about 3 seconds. Even a Ravenous Goliath cannot stand up to these guys post 50. Is there any plans for balance coming, PvP Only Gear, etc.? Give me some hope guys. Thanks

There are obvious issues with pvp that I won't go into here. But I just want to respond to help you out a little mate.

So when you are doing pre 50 there are a few reasons for the difference. In pre 50 people don't typically run dungeon, trial, cryo or bg sets etc. Majority of these pre-built characters for pre 50 are running crafted sets exclusively.
    This works in your favour as most of the crafted sets don't fall into that category of high damage sets. So for this reason the damage pre 50 is a little lower.

Pre 50 content has scaling. It kind of puts the training wheels on a bit and makes everyone closer to each other.

Pre 50 you are mostly going to come across new players. So the skill level here is a fair bit lower. This isn't me having a dig at anyone, its just how it is.

Once you hit 50 all of this goes out the window. The training wheels are off. There is no scaling. People are spending weeks at a time to research, tweak and build the best characters they can using all the available sets from the game. And the reason we have a constantly shifting meta. Is because everyone wants to be the best and finding ways to counter the current meta. Instead of coming across mostly new players, you are going to come across guys who live pvp and make it their personal mission to be the best.

Now for a guy who is struggling here is some advice. You are always strongest in your group. Learn to break target using other group members. Start of on the tanky side of things and slowly introduce damage until you are comfortable with your build. And always keep a stun on your bar. You can't be good in every situation. Good teams win matches not good players.

I hope this helps you out a bit mate and good luck and good fights.
  • Penta
    Penta
    Soul Shriven
    I'm going to disagree a bit here. When you're starting out in cp 160 BGs, the matchmaking will try not to put you with people who do BGs all day err day. Yeah you might run across those types now and then, but they are put into higher MMR BGs usually.

Also, you can do just fine in BGs without having golded everything. You should try to get your weapons golded for sure b/c that makes a big difference. But it's fine to run with purple/blue for your armor/jewelry, I've done BGs for a long time and don't think I've ever golded out a piece of armor.

I will say that you should make sure you're running a planned out build, whether your own or someones else's. And try sticking to one build until you learn it.

Also if it seems like you're getting one-shot, it might (probably) be due to being out of position and getting smacked by multiple people at once. Stay with your team, try to focus fire with them, and just practice.
  • bathynomusESO
    bathynomusESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think I played my last game of post-50 BGs today. It got even worse after the patch. It's just not fun and I cannot compete. I've never seen PvP this unbalance in any MMO. Best of luck, to those who still enjoy it.
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    I think I played my last game of post-50 BGs today. It got even worse after the patch. It's just not fun and I cannot compete. I've never seen PvP this unbalance in any MMO. Best of luck, to those who still enjoy it.

I don't even blame you. The battleground pvp is trashtastic. Easily the worst of any mmo to date.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭

Did you try anything we told you at all?

Without high resist, a single spammable from anyone but PvE tank could land like 8k on you - saw it in my own logs. Three aoe hits and they died.

I have never played pre-50, but in post-50 CC followed by 2-3 abilities including ultimate is like the standard practice by skilled players as the opening attack. If you can't absorb that passively (armor+food+buff), you'd no doubt die all the time by unexpected first strikes.
    Edited by moo_2021 on September 4, 2021 12:15AM
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »

Did you try anything we told you at all?

Without high resist, a single spammable from anyone but PvE tank could land like 8k on you - saw it in my own logs. Three aoe hits and they died.

I have never played pre-50, but in post-50 CC followed by 2-3 abilities including ultimate is like the standard practice by skilled players as the opening attack. If you can't absorb that passively (armor+food+buff), you'd no doubt die all the time by unexpected first strikes.

This game has become nothing but unexpected first strikes and 1vX fights. It doesn't flow at all.

You have the obvious issues of high damage, poor performance and cc spam.
    This game is just people constantly trying to catch you out or from behind while completely ignoring objectives. It really has zero flow or combat lanes.

In fact the damage is so high lately with Dark Convergence and Hrothgar. Last night even with block held the entire time, the healing ulty freshly up 35k health and 25k resists - I was 1v1 from full to dead in the space of about 2 seconds.
    And people respond to this with just dodge or break free. But the performance of the servers don't allow this to happen.

This game has lost its skill cap. Its literally just sneak up on someone catch em out or be the one getting caught out.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    slimwaffle wrote: »
    This game has become nothing but unexpected first strikes and 1vX fights. It doesn't flow at all.

You have the obvious issues of high damage, poor performance and cc spam.
    This game is just people constantly trying to catch you out or from behind while completely ignoring objectives. It really has zero flow or combat lanes.

In fact the damage is so high lately with Dark Convergence and Hrothgar. Last night even with block held the entire time, the healing ulty freshly up 35k health and 25k resists - I was 1v1 from full to dead in the space of about 2 seconds.
    And people respond to this with just dodge or break free. But the performance of the servers don't allow this to happen.

This game has lost its skill cap. Its literally just sneak up on someone catch em out or be the one getting caught out.

I use pariah and rarely did I lose a 1vs1 that fast, even after CC'ed and unable to break free. When my HP drops below 50 I raise the weak 2h shield and keep fighting. Sometimes I win.

Thought it's true without very specific defensive sets, sorc shield or vampire's skills, people would not be able to survive the initial burst.

Haven't see many Hrothgar users on PC EU.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭

finally played a few pre-50 BGs while levelling my new toon.

Was indeed fun without special build. Biggest difference is that there was almost no CC.

Why don't they nerf CC instead? It's basically useless in PvE and I assume there is a good reason for that.
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • orwangatang
    orwangatang
    ✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »

finally played a few pre-50 BGs while levelling my new toon.

Was indeed fun without special build. Biggest difference is that there was almost no CC.

Why don't they nerf CC instead? It's basically useless in PvE and I assume there is a good reason for that.

lololol nerf cc