Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Hello :-} , I would like to know more information and tips..ok no HROTHGAR 20k HIT??? HOW??

Redguards_Revenge
Redguards_Revenge
✭✭✭✭
Before you read I didn't screenshot the 20k Hrothgar as I thought this is normal to get 20k hits? I am trying to get into a BGs where someone is using the set to record.

2 items: Adds 1206 Maximum Health
3 items: Adds 1487 Armor
4 items: Adds 1487 Offensive Penetration
5 items: Stunning or Immobilizing your enemy causes them to burst with frost magic, applying the Chilled status effect and dealing 26% of their total Physical Resistance and Spell Resistance as Frost Damage to themselves and enemies within 8 meters of them. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds.

Ok so I was in BGs. I was walking around and the chaos ball carrier was being followed by some people and dropped in front of me and died. I was thinking wow, i'll be able to get the chaosball as he fell.

Then I died. I was like WHAT HAPPENED? Full health to ZERO?
I opened the the recap. I saw little hits here and there, then saw HROTHGAR CHILL 20k.....

I am like HOW??? I have 15k Phys Def and 15k Magic Def.

30*.26= 7800 damage. NOTE THAT IS IF I ADD BOTH MY PHYSICAL DAMAGE AND MAGICAL DAMAGE ONLY 7800 DAMAGE!!! SO HOW DID IT TAKE 20K?

Now let's do a quick rough estimate....
25% = 1/4 so 20*4= 80K resistances ....IN BGS? IMPOSSIBLE!!! (unless some other broken set is in there)

So I can only assume that HROTHGAR is TAKE EVERYONES RESISTANES IN THE AREA AND USE IT AS DAMAGE? THAT IS THE ONLY WAY!!! OR THE SET IS BROKEN!!!

If this is the case chaosball is broken. Think about it. Take the ball, move to your main post. Keep the guy who has HROTHGAR up at the top. wait till everybody congregates and blast them all dead with a over 20k Hrothgar Chill. DOES IT EVEN HAVE AN UPPER CAP?

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE ? ANYBODY CAN FILL ME IN?
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What was the multiplier on the hit? I got killed by a 3x for 29k damage, but I have 21k ea. resist so it's about right.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy who blew up had 40k spell and 40k physical resistance. That's 80k. You took the AoE explosion from him. Something like that.

These sets are the reason I haven't been in PvP for nearly a year. It's just become ridiculous. ZoS keeps trying to reign in proc sets, then they continuously introduce ridiculous proc sets.
    Options
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Danno say's: it's from standing within 8 meters of the tank when it was procced on them.
    Options
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep your teammate (or opponent) killed ya.
    Options
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    What was the multiplier on the hit? I got killed by a 3x for 29k damage, but I have 21k ea. resist so it's about right.

There was no multiplier.
    Options
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    The guy who blew up had 40k spell and 40k physical resistance. That's 80k. You took the AoE explosion from him. Something like that.

These sets are the reason I haven't been in PvP for nearly a year. It's just become ridiculous. ZoS keeps trying to reign in proc sets, then they continuously introduce ridiculous proc sets.

What set gives 40k 40k? Let me guess...a mythic helm and some new set?
    Options
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its basically the armor based equivalent of standing next to someone with <25-28k hp during Vicious Death fest '21.
    Options
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It should do 10k then, since you need to reduce damage by 55% because of battle spirit. Hrotgar IS bugged, no one can deny it, it can proc from damage on stun enemies rather than only stun so...
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
    Options
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jameson18 wrote: »
    Its basically the armor based equivalent of standing next to someone with <25-28k hp during Vicious Death fest '21.

VD had a counterplay. The only counterplay with this set is don't ball up. ZOS designed it so that 1vXers can take out the pariah of PvP (ball groups) without any recourse. BGs is just collateral damage.
    Options
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fhritz wrote: »

It should do 10k then, since you need to reduce damage by 55% because of battle spirit. Hrotgar IS bugged, no one can deny it, it can proc from damage on stun enemies rather than only stun so...

So Hrothgar IS bugged?

VD had a counterplay. The only counterplay with this set is don't ball up. ZOS designed it so that 1vXers can take out the pariah of PvP (ball groups) without any recourse. BGs is just collateral damage.

This can't be true. Think about it, they would need a super tank to be in the vicinity. To wipe a group. Most people just outheal the damage with their crit builds.

I do see some niche groups with a super tank sharing damage but that's about the only time in cyro I see that.

20k single damage Hrothgar must be broken. I am still waiting for someone to tell me what sets would give 40k/40k in no cp. I am not versed in these new sets.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So Hrothgar IS bugged?

This can't be true. Think about it, they would need a super tank to be in the vicinity. To wipe a group. Most people just outheal the damage with their crit builds.

I do see some niche groups with a super tank sharing damage but that's about the only time in cyro I see that.

20k single damage Hrothgar must be broken. I am still waiting for someone to tell me what sets would give 40k/40k in no cp. I am not versed in these new sets.

Reinforced Fortified Brass, Lord Warden 1 piece, Chudan 1 piece, Reinforced Footman Shield, Weapon and (protective trait)jewelry. Major and Minor Resolve. I think all these sets work in No CP, No Proc.

I have no idea of course if this person was wearing this stuff, but since you asked if it's possible, well, it is. According to ESO Build editor this will get you to 42k both.
    Edited by danno8 on August 31, 2021 12:38AM
    Options
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is 50% reduction with battle spirit? Reduction from armor? If you count that in, it means like 90k armor or smth.

This set is definitely bugged.
    Options
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh crap, I didn't realize until now it adds both resistances and uses that total. The sets that add both spell and physical resistances are cursed by this attack. 😯
    Options
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh crap, I didn't realize until now it adds both resistances and uses that total. The sets that add both spell and physical resistances are cursed by this attack. 😯

So if you wear Hrothgar on a warden (10% extra frost damage) and are using an ice staff (Chilled for more damage, possibly Brittle)... yeah, the damage is pretty insane. Even on NPCs in IC sewers, I can one shot an entire group of little ones.

It's like the devs wanted me to start solo wiping zergs again. <3

My only complaint is Frozen Gate isn't currently proccing Hrothgar.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on August 31, 2021 1:10AM
    Options
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So Hrothgar IS bugged?

Reinforced Fortified Brass, Lord Warden 1 piece, Chudan 1 piece, Reinforced Footman Shield, Weapon and (protective trait)jewelry. Major and Minor Resolve. I think all these sets work in No CP, No Proc.

I have no idea of course if this person was wearing this stuff, but since you asked if it's possible, well, it is. According to ESO Build editor this will get you to 42k both.

If you're trying to set the theoretical upper limit don't forget it's possible to make a potion that will give you another unnamed armor buff for 5280 of each resist.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

So Hrothgar IS bugged?

If you're trying to set the theoretical upper limit don't forget it's possible to make a potion that will give you another unnamed armor buff for 5280 of each resist.

Oh for sure. The fellow was just saying no one had shown him how it was possible so I just threw together the quickest bunch of sets I could think of, then cross referenced them with ones that will still work in No-Proc PvP and threw it out there. I am sure it can go higher.
    Options
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hrothgar isn't bugged, Templars are just indirectly getting their teams killed this patch. I know someone in my guild that claimed they could get as high as 70k+ armor..

Light Weaver Passive: When you heal an ally under 50% Health with a Restoring Light ability, you grant them 2 Ultimate. While you are channeling Rite of Passage, you gain 33000 Physical Resistance and Spell Resistance.

Hrothgar's Chill: Stunning or Immobilizing your enemy causes them to burst with frost magic, applying the Chilled status effect and dealing 26% of their total Physical Resistance and Spell Resistance as Frost Damage to themselves and enemies within 8 meters of them. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds.

Example: A Templar builds for high armor, something like 25k base, 32k with pariah at it's high point. They get in execute range so as an oh *** button they use Remembrance. Now their 32k armor shoots up to 65k. This is only 1 set and skill, they could even have protective, mundus, defensive traits on weapons, Nord.. 32-65k is actually a lower example, but if you follow along, you'll see how even this can create a ridiculously strong proc.

People with Hrothgar's chill KNOW to target tanky targets over glass cannons, although you can't stun the Templar in Remembrance, you can immobilize them (Apparently). Since there is no cap to the damage of Hrothgar you get something like this..

65,000 x 2 = 130,000
    130,000 x 0.26 = 33,800

(Warden's +10% frost damage, +16% Malacath, +10% aoe damage from shock staff, +4-8% damage done via Animal Companion skills slotted, +5% minor berserk, +10% direct cp star, +10% aoe cp star).

33,800 x 1.2 to 1.6 = 40,560 to 54,080

Battlespirit + Base Character mitigation = 45% damage taken = 18,252 to 24,336

OP has a small amount of 15k armor. The Hrothgar build may have at least 5 light for 4600 pen, a sharpened staff for 3400 pen, Hrothgar has a line of pen for +1487 pen. Lets assume OP doesn't have pen on their second set, but they do have Lover Mundus for 2700 pen just to make this even more plausible..

The Hrothgar set owner now has at least 12,187 penetration against OP's 15k armor. If OP has major or minor breach on them, they effectively have 0 armor.

TLDR: You have 0 armor against an optimized Hrothgar user and you got hit standing next to a team mate with ridiciulously high armor, easily achieved by something like Templar's Remembrance and/or Pariah. Penetration and Damage Done modifiers can scale Hrothgar. You can and will get hit by a 20k Hrothgar, no bugs, completely intended by ZOS if you stand next to a goof who doesn't understand that high armor is a death sentence this patch, for them and their team.

LOL
    Edited by MashmalloMan on August 31, 2021 3:14PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options
  • khyrkat
    khyrkat
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if you wear Hrothgar on a warden (10% extra frost damage) and are using an ice staff (Chilled for more damage, possibly Brittle)... yeah, the damage is pretty insane. Even on NPCs in IC sewers, I can one shot an entire group of little ones.

It's like the devs wanted me to start solo wiping zergs again. <3

My only complaint is Frozen Gate isn't currently proccing Hrothgar.

Time to get back to pvp on my warden I see... This will be fun :D
    Options
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds horrible.

Try no CP PvP where it isn't available I suppose.

Weird yo-yo patches again..
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night I got to a keep defense as the enemies were on the back flag. The 4-5 of us who got there first wiped all 16 yellows. The top 3 skills in my damage report were my two proc sets and my weapon enchantment. My ultimate was 4th. There’s nothing skilled about that :D

It’s fun, sure. But it’s not good.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I still think the sets a good idea but either scale the damage of each recipient's resistances or remove the bomb aspect entirely and have it only affect the player it proc'd on.... preferably the later.
    Options
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »
    I still think the sets a good idea but either scale the damage of each recipient's resistances or remove the bomb aspect entirely and have it only affect the player it proc'd on.... preferably the later.

The point of these sets is the same as Vicious Death, but a lot more accessible. Ball groups are STILL the biggest issue in PvP, or large zergs (un-grouped). Now with Plague Break and Hrothgar targeting the right player, a small un-grouped set of players not in a discord has a chance against an optimized larger group.

P.S. now, if I put on Balorgh+500 ult I can pull Storm, get 19k pen (11K+regular pen) + Hrothgar on your tank(s) and groups go BOOM. And your only defense is to wear all light and keep up immoveable/cc immunity. Btw, Sorm rips through shields too.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on August 31, 2021 7:57PM
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Last night I got to a keep defense as the enemies were on the back flag. The 4-5 of us who got there first wiped all 16 yellows. The top 3 skills in my damage report were my two proc sets and my weapon enchantment. My ultimate was 4th. There’s nothing skilled about that :D

It’s fun, sure. But it’s not good.

Exactly.

Remember when hey went to all the trouble of converting burst procs like Vipers into DoT's instead? And when the made it so that proc sets can't crit so you don't get 15 or 20k hits?

Why on Earth would you do these things and then introduce sets that can explode people for 20k AoE?

ZoS needs a memo board in the meeting room with notes on it about what they learned from previous patches because they seem to keep forgetting hard learned lessons.
    Options
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hrothgar isn't bugged, Templars are just indirectly getting their teams killed this patch. I know someone in my guild that claimed they could get as high as 70k+ armor..

Light Weaver Passive: When you heal an ally under 50% Health with a Restoring Light ability, you grant them 2 Ultimate. While you are channeling Rite of Passage, you gain 33000 Physical Resistance and Spell Resistance.

Hrothgar's Chill: Stunning or Immobilizing your enemy causes them to burst with frost magic, applying the Chilled status effect and dealing 26% of their total Physical Resistance and Spell Resistance as Frost Damage to themselves and enemies within 8 meters of them. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds.

Example: A Templar builds for high armor, something like 25k base, 32k with pariah at it's high point. They get in execute range so as an oh *** button they use Remembrance. Now their 32k armor shoots up to 65k. This is only 1 set and skill, they could even have protective, mundus, defensive traits on weapons, Nord.. 32-65k is actually a lower example, but if you follow along, you'll see how even this can create a ridiculously strong proc.

People with Hrothgar's chill KNOW to target tanky targets over glass cannons, although you can't stun the Templar in Remembrance, you can immobilize them (Apparently). Since there is no cap to the damage of Hrothgar you get something like this..

65,000 x 2 = 130,000
    130,000 x 0.26 = 33,800

(Warden's +10% frost damage, +16% Malacath, +10% aoe damage from shock staff, +4-8% damage done via Animal Companion skills slotted, +5% minor berserk, +10% direct cp star, +10% aoe cp star).

OP has a small amount of 15k armor. The Hrothgar build may have at least 5 light for 4600 pen, a sharpened staff for 3400 pen, Hrothgar has a line of pen for +1487 pen. Lets assume OP doesn't have pen on their second set, but they do have Lover Mundus for 2700 pen just to make this even more plausible..

The Hrothgar set owner now has at least 12,187 penetration against OP's 15k armor. If OP has major or minor breach on them, they effectively have 0 armor.

TLDR: You have 0 armor against an optimized Hrothgar user and you got hit standing next to a team mate with ridiciulously high armor, easily achieved by something like Templar's Remembrance and/or Pariah. Penetration and Damage Done modifiers can scale Hrothgar. You can and will get hit by a 20k Hrothgar, no bugs, completely intended by ZOS if you stand next to a goof who doesn't understand that high armor is a death sentence this patch, for them and their team.

LOL

He dropped down to me, he wasn't channeling rite of passage. Are you saying that someone above me that I could not see, caused the death of me and the chaosball holder because we were in the same vicinity?
    Options
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    He dropped down to me, he wasn't channeling rite of passage. Are you saying that someone above me that I could not see, caused the death of me and the chaosball holder because we were in the same vicinity?

Yes. Hrothgar will proc when the stun applies. So if there was server lag and the chaos ball holder didn't get the stun until he was next to you, yep. Also, most Aoe's are actually a sphere not a circle on the ground, so depending on how close you were, Hrothgar could have procced above you and STILL hit you.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on August 31, 2021 8:13PM
    Options
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

65,000 x 2 = 130,000
    130,000 x 0.26 = 33,800

LOL

Thats the entire point of the set.. you target tanky players to blow up squishy players grouped close to them. It's intended, but a flawed design clearly. Something like a cap of the 32k armor for the damage would nerf it heavily or perhaps each target in the aoe gets their own damage calculation based on their armor, but the damage increases by 10% per enemy like Plaguebreaker and Dark Convergence would balance it out a bit.

The point is a proc even after Battlespirt can do 20k + damage to you if the right conditions are met and they're not that hard to achieve, be very careful who you stand next to.

33-40k armor is 100% possible,70k+ is possible with a Templar and Remembrance, if you see a templar doing that, create a great deal of space between you and them asap. Pair that target with a Warden optimized to juice Hrothgar via Damage done modifers and high penetration and your 15k armor means absolutely nothing. 5 light, Lover and Sharpened is enough to make 15k armor close to 0.

As @CaffeinatedMayhem mentioned, aoes are usually spherical although they appear as flat circles. This is just how game design works for hitboxes in most if not all games. So it's definitely possible the original target could of been above you.

Unfortunately, Templars are getting team mates killed from Hrothgar and Plaguebreaker. It's not a great patch for them.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread shows how there doesn’t seem to be a concerted balance effort taking place. People build for ridiculously high defenses because player damage is far too high, and they can’t survive more than 2 seconds unless they have high health and resistances. So the solution to that “problem” is to introduce a set that deals extremely high damage to that group?

How about reducing damage output considerably to allow for a normal range of armor to be viable and increase TTK?

Bonus from doing that is that people will actually want to participate in PvP because they won’t be getting 1-shot constantly.
    Options
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Darrett wrote: »
    This thread shows how there doesn’t seem to be a concerted balance effort taking place. People build for ridiculously high defenses because player damage is far too high, and they can’t survive more than 2 seconds unless they have high health and resistances. So the solution to that “problem” is to introduce a set that deals extremely high damage to that group?

How about reducing damage output considerably to allow for a normal range of armor to be viable and increase TTK?

Bonus from doing that is that people will actually want to participate in PvP because they won’t be getting 1-shot constantly.

And this is what we had before, players could stack resistances and health regen high enough that it took a group effort of 15-30 people to kill them.

Balance is HARD. I'd much prefer short TTK, even if it means I die more. It also means that a small group of 3 players with the right buffs can't hold a keep hostage until 40 players show up.

Also, remember that Hrothgar drops from Rewards of the Worthy, it is available to EVERYONE. This isn't just NB gankers or for StamSorcs or any of the other high DPS builds that were class specific. Balance is when everyone has access to the same (or equivalent) tools. If NBs can get 30k Spectral Bow shots with Mechanical Acuity, what's wrong with Warden's getting Hrothgar, which as pointed out above, takes a LOT of damage modifiers to get that high.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on August 31, 2021 11:31PM
    Options
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    33-40k armor is 100% possible,70k+ is possible with a Templar and Remembrance, if you see a templar doing that, create a great deal of space between you and them asap.

Initially I thought the same about Rite of Passage, the extra 33,000 spell and physical resistance. But don't forget that a Templar is immune to all disabling effects while casting. Hrothgar cannot proc on a Templar casting Rite of Passage, and if it is, then it is a bug with Hrothgar.
    Options
  • AinSoph
    AinSoph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    33-40k armor is 100% possible,70k+ is possible with a Templar and Remembrance, if you see a templar doing that, create a great deal of space between you and them asap.

Initially I thought the same about Rite of Passage, the extra 33,000 spell and physical resistance. But don't forget that a Templar is immune to all disabling effects while casting. Hrothgar cannot proc on a Templar casting Rite of Passage, and if it is, then it is a bug with Hrothgar.

Disabling effects are things you can cc break out of, immobilize is a soft cc so Hrothgar can still apply.
    Options