The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

State of the PvP in a few weeks with AoE cap

• Pryda
    Pryda
    ✭✭
    EliteZ wrote: »
    As somebody else has posted in another topic

No AoE cap really requires small groups to have skill when defeating larger groups right?

I mean this video: http://www.twitch.tv/prydatv/c/4079857 proves that if you are a small group of players going against larger groups you really need coordination's, skill and a lot of "active playing".

Or in other words, run in behind a larger group and simply spam your aoe ability while they are already busy fighting. Nerfing that crap is the right way to go.

So what, they're not supposed to die while they're busy fighting?
    They should be able to stomp 3 guys because they were afk and had more numbers?

What kind of logic is this?
    Sorcerer on Auriel's Bow EU - http://www.twitch.tv/Prydatv & http://www.youtube.com/cyr9x (1-50 & VR leveling guides + PvP Videos)
  • EliteZ
    EliteZ
    ✭✭✭
    Pryda wrote: »

No AoE cap really requires small groups to have skill when defeating larger groups right?

I mean this video: http://www.twitch.tv/prydatv/c/4079857 proves that if you are a small group of players going against larger groups you really need coordination's, skill and a lot of "active playing".

Or in other words, run in behind a larger group and simply spam your aoe ability while they are already busy fighting. Nerfing that crap is the right way to go.

Hmm, not sure about you but those players don't look to be AFK to me, I mean they might have been, but was hard to tell with some of them, you know the ones who just broke down the door and walked into the room.

I never said they shouldn't die while fighting, but nor should they die by aoe spam within 10 seconds.

Yeah maybe you're right, maybe they are novice players, maybe they are not hardcore mmo or pvp vet players, hey they might not even be part of a group together which is totally why they should be able to all be destroyed within 10 seconds of 3 players exiting stealth and spamming aoe right? That seems totally balanced to me.

I know, wait until all those casual players leave because of aoe spam like that and then you won't physically have the numbers to zerg any more because nobody will be doing pvp.

But I get it, all you vet guilds want easy targets to go against in pvp, heck that's why half of you rushed to Vet lvls so quickly so you're over powered compared to all the other players (another reason people don't like pvp in eso), so nerfing you're mindless aoe spam is obviously going to cause you to rage.

Having a aoe cap of 6 players might not be the best way to go about it, but it needs to be nerfed regardless.
    Edited by EliteZ on April 27, 2014 6:20PM
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    And here we are. Whining to cater to the bad casual players because they can't be expected to have situational awareness and check for stealthers ( a skill given right away in the game LOL) or deal with their Aspergers syndrome and be expected to join organized groups if they want to not die to organized groups.

• thelg
    thelg
    ✭✭✭
    stupidity of the stack on full display, nerf whatever about AOE do not nerf the target limit FFS
  • Pryda
    Pryda
    ✭✭
    Pryda wrote: »

Hmm, not sure about you but those players don't look to be AFK to me, I mean they might have been, but was hard to tell with some of them, you know the ones who just broke down the door and walked into the room.

I never said they shouldn't die while fighting, but nor should they die by aoe spam within 10 seconds.

Yeah maybe you're right, maybe they are novice players, maybe they are not hardcore mmo or pvp vet players, hey they might not even be part of a group together which is totally why they should be able to all be destroyed within 10 seconds of 3 players exiting stealth and spamming aoe right? That seems totally balanced to me.

I know, wait until all those casual players leave because of aoe spam like that and then you won't physically have the numbers to zerg any more because nobody will be doing pvp.

But I get it, all you vet guilds want easy targets to go against in pvp, heck that's why half of you rushed to Vet lvls so quickly so you're over powered compared to all the other players (another reason people don't like pvp in eso), so nerfing you're mindless aoe spam is obviously going to cause you to rage.

Having a aoe cap of 6 players might not be the best way to go about it, but it needs to be nerfed regardless.

You need to realize the spells I used on the 3man video are already capped. Vampire broken is another topic, this new video is about what the game will look like for EVERYONE in few weeks. It's not about being VR10 or level 10.
    Sorcerer on Auriel's Bow EU - http://www.twitch.tv/Prydatv & http://www.youtube.com/cyr9x (1-50 & VR leveling guides + PvP Videos)
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only thing that will prevent large group zergs is reducing the amount of brainless aoe spam possible which is in the game now and will still be in the game if they do make all aoe skills have a cap at 6 targets.

This is verifiably false. GW2 turned into zerg vs. zerg because of these caps. You are wrong.

And this game is already zerg vs zerg, what's your point? Every time I've entered pvp all you hear is "lfm <keep name> raid".

I'm simply asking how is capping skills at 6 players going to cause people to zerg, when they are already doing it.

Because not everyone is zerging, those people killing those herp a derps on that flag prove it.

When he says Gw2 turned into zerg vs zerg, he means it....Small Manning is basically non existent in that game besides a few soloers here and there.

After they added the AoE cap, the groups went from being around 5-10 people running together to guild groups consisting of 15-20-25 mans.....with 25 mans being the most common.

Do you know how god awful it is to watch a fight in Gw2 consisting of 25 vs 25?

Hell even 10 people is god awful to watch, Not Wildstar pvp awful, but very close.
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of using aoe only try to focus and assist targets, that s is the real hardcore gaming, no just spam 1 aoe button.
    Anyway i think that the better thing should be nerfing aoe dmg and op skills like DK aoe and vamp aoe and not to put a cap. My 2 cents.
    Edited by sagitter on April 27, 2014 7:42PM
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    sagitter wrote: »
    Instead of using aoe only try to focus and assist targets, that s is the real hardcore gaming, no just spam 1 aoe button.

Yes, this is a valid tactic, mostly for overextenders in battle fronts. Smaller group will get run the eff over focus firing one at a time when fighting a zerg though. That is the point.
  • Jackiepvp
    Jackiepvp
    sagitter wrote: »

You mean everybody point their reticle at the nearest opponent and hope that is the one your allies are also hitting? Or how do you suggest target calling without nameplates?

What about the targetting system, if the healer is sitting in a turtle of 30 players its physically impossible to target them due to the reticle selecting the first opponent in its line of sight.

This game was never designed for "intelligent focusing and assisting", the combat was infact designed around aoe spam, it can never change, its ingrained fundamentally in the game's design.
    [VoTF]
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that a well physical body engine system should be help much in those situations.
    You can't go through a barrier of ppl and spam in the center of the zerg that way.
    I don t know why they didn t implement this here.
    Edited by sagitter on April 27, 2014 8:04PM
  • Razeo
    Razeo
    And how is this any different then standing in a zerg ball and aoeing down EVERYONE not just 6 targets?

The difference being,

1 purposely hurts a form of damage to better the casual PvPr who doesn't understand the concept of spreading out and mitigating damage through actively playing.

2 being that AOE damage is already considerably lower so capping it was a terrible move to begin with.

1. Hmm, so because aoe caps at 6 players, people that don't know how to actively play will find it easier? How? I'm not sure about you, but if I was just going to sit there and spam AOE, I'd much rather it to hit every player then just 6. Making aoe only hit 6 targets makes you look at different approaches then just spamming aoe like everyone does atm, because it won't be as effective.

2. Okay, so because aoe damage is low, when they decide to cap it at 6 targets to make it even more of a "terrible move" EVERYONE will then decide to use this "terrible low damage move"? I know, they made AOE weaker, OMG LET'S ALL USE IT....

And as for healers, spamming aoe healing will keep players alive a lot longer when they heal the entire zerg, rather then just 6 people.

I see people crying "omg aoe cap limits small groups from taking on large groups". While this will be true, small groups should have a very hard time taking down larger groups. You shouldn't be able to take down 30+ people with a 4 man group, at least not easily. Because a group of 4 people mass aoe spamming a larger group in a choke point is so skilful, right?

Having an aoe cap at 6 targets is perfectly fine and a lot of games have an aoe cap. GW2 has aoe cap, WoW has an aoe cap and so forth,

And that's exactly why the PvP in those 2 games have turned to utter crap after AOE cap was implemented. Thanks for proving the points of everyone who doesn't want it.
  • neocomab16_ESO
    neocomab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    in order to deal with aoe caps you stick together like a cluster. thus only 6 people will eventually get hit while the rest is fine. or ...nobody gets hit because the system is too stupid to randomly pick 6 targets to shoot at
  • Oblongship
    Oblongship
    ✭✭✭✭
    Razeo wrote: »
    And how is this any different then standing in a zerg ball and aoeing down EVERYONE not just 6 targets?

The difference being,

1 purposely hurts a form of damage to better the casual PvPr who doesn't understand the concept of spreading out and mitigating damage through actively playing.

2 being that AOE damage is already considerably lower so capping it was a terrible move to begin with.

1. Hmm, so because aoe caps at 6 players, people that don't know how to actively play will find it easier? How? I'm not sure about you, but if I was just going to sit there and spam AOE, I'd much rather it to hit every player then just 6. Making aoe only hit 6 targets makes you look at different approaches then just spamming aoe like everyone does atm, because it won't be as effective.

2. Okay, so because aoe damage is low, when they decide to cap it at 6 targets to make it even more of a "terrible move" EVERYONE will then decide to use this "terrible low damage move"? I know, they made AOE weaker, OMG LET'S ALL USE IT....

And as for healers, spamming aoe healing will keep players alive a lot longer when they heal the entire zerg, rather then just 6 people.

I see people crying "omg aoe cap limits small groups from taking on large groups". While this will be true, small groups should have a very hard time taking down larger groups. You shouldn't be able to take down 30+ people with a 4 man group, at least not easily. Because a group of 4 people mass aoe spamming a larger group in a choke point is so skilful, right?

Having an aoe cap at 6 targets is perfectly fine and a lot of games have an aoe cap. GW2 has aoe cap, WoW has an aoe cap and so forth,

And that's exactly why the PvP in those 2 games have turned to utter crap after AOE cap was implemented. Thanks for proving the points of everyone who doesn't want it.

Did the guy you quote actual try to use GW2 as a good pvp defense? ppffttt
  • cryptoanarchy
    Oh my God, this looks even worse than GW2...
  • Keystone.Jones
    I disagree with an AoE cap... that is why I quit GW2 because the AOE cap ruins large-scale pvp! Please don't implement this!!
  • EliteZ
    EliteZ
    ✭✭✭
    Oblongship wrote: »
    Razeo wrote: »

The difference being,

Did the guy you quote actual try to use GW2 as a good pvp defense? ppffttt

I'm not defending either of those games, simply saying that ESO is not the first MMO to have aoe caps and it won't be the last, as we already know a lot of the skills are already capped, it's just nothing new.

Instead of saying "don't add a cap cause it'll turn to zerg vs zerg". They need to find other ways of making people not want to zerg, even if they add the aoe cap because as you can already see from videos, eso is turning into zerg vs zerg without the cap anyway.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what happens when you cry about pvp.